Black Friday--Royal Free Ship-ping (win a free cruise!)

rockmom

• rockmom changed the title to Black Friday--Royal Free Ship-ping (win a free cruise!)

So, a heads up.  This domain (royalfreeshipping.com) was registered anonymously in Canada only 2 weeks ago.  Compare that to royalcaribbean.com, which is registered publicly to RCCL.  I'd strongly recommend not submitting any information on the site.

RoyalFreeShipping domain registration info

--bruce T.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Btank said:

So, a heads up.  This domain (royalfreeshipping.com) was registered anonymously in Canada only 2 weeks ago.  Compare that to royalcaribbean.com, which is registered publicly to RCCL.  I'd strongly recommend not submitting any information on the site.

--bruce T.

Hmmm, it was an article on Travel & Leisure's site  https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/royal-caribbean-free-cruise-giveaway 

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Btank said:

--bruce T.

Whoops! Too Late. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, rockmom said:

Hmmm, it was an article on Travel & Leisure's site  https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/royal-caribbean-free-cruise-giveaway 

So, not to get too technical here... but a further check shows the internet domain name service hosting provider as Cloudflare - with a well know track record for hosting scam websites.  On the other hand, royalcaribbean.com is hosted by Akamai - arguably a gold standard.

Cloudflare: The Bad, The Worse and The Criminal?

Plus, if I'm not mistaken Travel and Leisure is a news aggregator site - nothing more, nothing less.  Their stories can be just repeating something that they saw, or something along the lines of "someone said".

But, your mileage may vary.  I'm just advising caution.

--bruce T.

Edited by Btank
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Btank said:

So, not to get too technical here... but a further check shows the internet domain name service hosting provider as Cloudflare - with a well know track record for hosting scam websites.  On the other hand, royalcaribbean.com is hosted by Akamai - arguably a gold standard.

Plus, if I'm not mistaken Travel and Leisure is a news aggregator site - nothing more, nothing less.  Their stories 

--bruce T.

it’s not on the RCI site either, as a link or in a search. Thanks for the info. 🙂

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Btank said:

Plus, if I'm not mistaken Travel and Leisure is a news aggregator site - nothing more, nothing less.  Their stories 

--bruce T.

I guess we wait and see if Royal puts something out to 'confirm or deny'. 

• Like 4

tYsRnSLa_bigger.jpg

Royal Caribbean

@RoyalCaribbean
·
8m
(2/2) Instant winners will be able to “ship” themselves on a 2- to 7-night cruise of their choosing to some of the world’s top destinations. From sun-soaked beaches and culture-rich adventures to the wonders of the California coast and picturesque Alaskan landscapes.

Replying to @RoyalCaribbean and @RehydratedTater
  • Thanks 2

Tweet

See new Tweets

Conversation

KWZ0OIDg_bigger.jpg

Hi - this promotion looks and smells fishy (pardon the pun). Can you confirm that https://royalfreeshipping.com is not one of your promotions?

Replying to
(1/2) Starting at 12:00:01 a.m. EST on Friday, Nov. 26, we will give away one free cruise every minute for 24 hours through our Free Ship-ing ™ instant win contest on https://*****/3FvxvT6.

Glad to see we have confirmation. The site seemed legit to me-- it was 'secure' with the 'lock'.  None of the telltale signs that can be tough to find but make you wonder if it's a scam.  When @Soremekun posted the ad agency info, I knew then it was the real deal.  Large corporation will do a 'shadow' purchase of a domain when working on something new they don't want leaked.  I actually wonder if the story got leaked a little before they were ready.  (Yep, I work for a very large company where we have done similar things when prepping for a new product launch).  And didn't their CMO just step down and there's a shift in marketing on the horizon?  Fun fact, about 22 years I interviewed with Royal to be a Seattle based marketing manager to work on their Alaska programs and work to promote Royal with Pacific NW T.As'.  Didn't get the job, came in 3rd, darn it.  

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 4