Live from the Sky Princess 11/20–12/4

KLM3164

Probably a silly questions, but.............   Did you order your Binax home covid test kit from Princess or a drug store.  I see two tests come in one box, so I would assume we can each use one.  How do you connect with a certified guide?  Is it by phone (facetime?) or computer or did you have to download an app to your phone.  We are cruising in early January.  Thanks for any help.

Rhonda

10 minutes ago, loonline said:

Probably a silly questions, but.............   Did you order your Binax home covid test kit from Princess or a drug store.  I see two tests come in one box, so I would assume we can each use one.  How do you connect with a certified guide?  Is it by phone (facetime?) or computer or did you have to download an app to your phone.  We are cruising in early January.  Thanks for any help.

Rhonda

This is the Princess FAQ.

Is a self-test acceptable?

Vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Please note, antigen tests are accepted for fully vaccinated guests, but not for unvaccinated guests.
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test.

Princess has partnered with Optum so that U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to your door in 3 business days or less. These at-home tests include a personal virtually video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services. These guides will help you properly administer the test and verify the results, within 15 minutes. The lab result report is delivered via email and can be printed or displayed on your mobile device during check-in. Please place your order with enough time to be shipped prior to your boarding. Order your test kit online.

8 hours ago, loonline said:

Rhonda

We ordered ours directly from the company.  You upload an app, create an account, then initiate the live test on either your phone, computer or tablet.  We used my laptop which worked well. Has to have a camera and get a view of you and the table top with all the stuff on it.  Several YouTube videos of this. Instructions are in the materials that send you. Don't open the actual test boxes though.

Enjoying this cruise  very much, glad to see the live report. Although the first night at the theater seen something that made me realize not everyone that is here should be. An older couple who both had scooters were leaving the lady accidentally backed into a chair that was occupied and slid it about a foot. The older lady was obviously  frustrated and worried. The lady who was in that chair stood up and glared at the poor woman. Never offered any help with the scooter, just moved her ample self over four chairs and plopped down. Before I could get up two other people jumped up and helped her out, her husband who was abit ahead of her came back and turned the scooter around. We stopped and visited with them a ways down the hallway, you could tell she was visibly shook up from the actions of said person . Yesterday seen an act of someone younger going out of their way to pick something up for an older person. Moral this act helped restore my faith in humanity, treat your elders with respect , for someday we will all be there who knows it may be me..

• Like 4

8 hours ago, loonline said:

Rhonda

Rather than getting entwined in this thread perhaps you should check the Princess forums for testing specific threads.  There are several and may serve you better.  This being a cruise thread your questions could get lost in the mix.  

1 hour ago, hunt182644 said:

Enjoying this cruise  very much, glad to see the live report. Although the first night at the theater seen something that made me realize not everyone that is here should be. An older couple who both had scooters were leaving the lady accidentally backed into a chair that was occupied and slid it about a foot. The older lady was obviously  frustrated and worried. The lady who was in that chair stood up and glared at the poor woman. Never offered any help with the scooter, just moved her ample self over four chairs and plopped down. Before I could get up two other people jumped up and helped her out, her husband who was abit ahead of her came back and turned the scooter around. We stopped and visited with them a ways down the hallway, you could tell she was visibly shook up from the actions of said person . Yesterday seen an act of someone younger going out of their way to pick something up for an older person. Moral this act helped restore my faith in humanity, treat your elders with respect , for someday we will all be there who knows it may be me..

I have never seen so many elderly people with walkers and scooters in one place in my life.  Been in a lot of cruises, but this is by far the oldest group I have ever sailed with.  Very few people under 30, and I'll bet 75% are 65+.

Looking forward to our second voyage of the return to service season.  We have been on the inaugural voyage of the Sky before the pandemic and loved the different look to a Royal Class ship.  This one on the 28th of December will be fantastic, I'm sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hunt182644 said:

Huh... I've seen many things on these boards over the years, but this is the first time I've ever seen anyone try to shame the victim of a drive-by scooting.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

13 hours ago, KLM3164 said:

Just leaving St. Thomas and sailing to St. Maarten now. Woke up late this morning to discover we were already docked in St. Thomas. Headed to the International Cafe for my late morning latte then to Alfredo’s for lunch. I was disappointed to learn there was no fresh basil on board so I wasn’t able to get my usual Margherita pizza but what we had was still delicious. I headed off the ship at 2 to do some shopping then connected with DH for our shore excursion in the late afternoon. We took a sunset catamaran sail and had a great time. I really enjoyed the rum punch topped off with champagne. The sunset was beautiful and the excursion was very relaxing. When we got back on the ship we went and saw singer/songwriter Mike Mentz in the Princess Theater. He has a great voice and his performance of “Go The Distance” was out of this world. I hope he has another show later in the week.

Tomorrow we are in St. Maarten and we have an early shore excursion with our friends so it’s time to go.

Ciao for now!

ED8DF080-2EAC-4263-BBF7-042B84BEF158.jpeg

C31B92F6-B457-42A0-90EA-590107D8115A.jpeg

54DF1BF2-BC30-489B-885E-B91B79DD1FE4.jpeg

94C4FBF5-98F8-4B34-9C38-C0AC51936B9C.jpeg

5B7C908C-67A1-403E-8E3E-45A81DB42AA7.jpeg

AC6F8D90-6A40-4923-9A35-8D669808D5FD.jpeg

02F86B37-8CF2-4DF0-AC22-1D56FA0835C2.jpeg

3C9E226A-EA60-4611-BC45-8B79918D577E.jpeg

1CF8F1C2-9FC7-4076-851E-EEBCD7C55C03.jpeg

FECDACC3-B747-45B9-98FD-3D0DBEF597C2.jpeg

E1E65747-B568-4BF1-8CD0-0A442989FB35.jpeg

FEF3BD20-F8C4-4DFB-BD0E-82825CD10964.jpeg

D9011BCB-6CC2-4C05-9E0E-335E79A70165.jpeg

88C61054-6CBE-4ACF-8B94-CE40423DF3EE.jpeg

Thank you (as well as other passengers on this thread) so much - for all of your information and answers to questions.  So great to finally get back to cruising - but obviously everyone has questions and concerns about the current 'State of the Seas' under Covid.  You all have been most helpful at clearing up most of the my  questions and concerns.  We will not be joining you on your B2B, but are on the Dec. 11th sailing on the Sky  (can't wait). So glad I found this thread.   If you get a chance, could you give us an idea of where masks are required (is it everywhere inside?) and also, how is compliance?    What part of Northern Calif. are you from.  I have a brother in Mendocino.  

Thanks again,  Pat and Dave

14 minutes ago, SHIVEOH said:

Thank you (as well as other passengers on this thread) so much - for all of your information and answers to questions.  So great to finally get back to cruising - but obviously everyone has questions and concerns about the current 'State of the Seas' under Covid.  You all have been most helpful at clearing up most of the my  questions and concerns.  We will not be joining you on your B2B, but are on the Dec. 11th sailing on the Sky  (can't wait). So glad I found this thread.   If you get a chance, could you give us an idea of where masks are required (is it everywhere inside?) and also, how is compliance?    What part of Northern Calif. are you from.  I have a brother in Mendocino.  

Thanks again,  Pat and Dave

Overall, I'd have to say that masking compliance is probably a bit better than I had expected. Princess sends mixed messages as to exactly what is required and what is recommended, and sadly, there is a very small hard core base of utter idiots who simply refuse to wear masks anywhere, and the crew do not, as far as we've seen, do anything to force them to mask up.  Many people wear masks both inside, in Decks 5 through 7, as well as the upper, open decks, though generally, it seems most people doff them when in the open air. Downstairs, Princess RECOMMENDS wearing masks at all times when indoors in public areas, and most comply. Some will lower their masks when walking from point A to point B inside, but will immediately replace them if going into a shop or restaurant. Princess claim they  REQUIRE them in tight spaces like elevators, line ups, in shops, etc, and again, the vast majority comply. Still there are the <5% of idiots who routinely walk into a shop or get into an elevator without a mask and nobody stops them.  There will always be those few for whom the rules don't apply.  Aside foro those few, happily I'd say >90% are being adult about masks.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Overall, I'd have to say that masking compliance is probably a bit better than I had expected. Princess sends mixed messages as to exactly what is required and what is recommended, and sadly, there is a very small hard core base of utter idiots who simply refuse to wear masks anywhere, and the crew do not, as far as we've seen, do anything to force them to mask up.  Many people wear masks both inside, in Decks 5 through 7, as well as the upper, open decks, though generally, it seems most people doff them when in the open air. Downstairs, Princess RECOMMENDS wearing masks at all times when indoors in public areas, and most comply. Some will lower their masks when walking from point A to point B inside, but will immediately replace them if going into a shop or restaurant. Princess claim they  REQUIRE them in tight spaces like elevators, line ups, in shops, etc, and again, the vast majority comply. Still there are the <5% of idiots who routinely walk into a shop or get into an elevator without a mask and nobody stops them.  There will always be those few for whom the rules don't apply.  Aside foro those few, happily I'd say >90% are being adult about masks.

Well put!

40 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Really nobody should have to stop and remind them when to wear a mask because they knew what they signed up for and they just need to learn to be mature and responsible citizens....probably the same one's who have fake vax cards and go into a major tantrum and tizzy when someone does not follow the suggested dress code for the MDR....there is always karma though lurking around the corner.....🤫

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Really nobody should have to stop and remind them when to wear a mask because they knew what they signed up for and they just need to learn to be mature and responsible citizens....probably the same one's who have fake vax cards and go into a major tantrum and tizzy when someone does not follow the suggested dress code for the MDR....there is always karma though lurking around the corner.....🤫

are putting stuffing in your turkey this holiday ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Overall, I'd have to say that masking compliance is probably a bit better than I had expected. Princess sends mixed messages as to exactly what is required and what is recommended, and sadly, there is a very small hard core base of utter idiots who simply refuse to wear masks anywhere, and the crew do not, as far as we've seen, do anything to force them to mask up.  Many people wear masks both inside, in Decks 5 through 7, as well as the upper, open decks, though generally, it seems most people doff them when in the open air. Downstairs, Princess RECOMMENDS wearing masks at all times when indoors in public areas, and most comply. Some will lower their masks when walking from point A to point B inside, but will immediately replace them if going into a shop or restaurant. Princess claim they  REQUIRE them in tight spaces like elevators, line ups, in shops, etc, and again, the vast majority comply. Still there are the <5% of idiots who routinely walk into a shop or get into an elevator without a mask and nobody stops them.  There will always be those few for whom the rules don't apply.  Aside from those few, happily I'd say >90% are being adult about masks.

There can be legitimate exemptions from wearing a mask for extended periods.  Masks were supposed to be for when we are not socially distanced.  I have no idea whether Princess honors or ignores that.  I am thinking mandates will be personal choice before next Fall.

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

There can be legitimate exemptions from wearing a mask for extended periods.  Masks were supposed to be for when we are not socially distanced.  I have no idea whether Princess honors or ignores that.  I am thinking mandates will be personal choice before next Fall.

Wondering what a legitimate exemption from wearing a mask is?
Don't get me wrong, I endorse mask wearing and especially as a retired OR nurse who wore masks for 40 years, but when do we stop?  Everyone onboard is vaccinated. When there is not a single case of Covid?  That's never going to happen. 
I realize we are using this as a way to get back to cruising and I am very pleased about that.
I will happily wear my mask on our upcoming sailing but there has got to be an end in sight!

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Don't get me wrong, I endorse mask wearing and especially as a retired OR nurse who wore masks for 40 years, but when do we stop?  Everyone onboard is vaccinated. When there is not a single case of Covid?  That's never going to happen. 
I realize we are using this as a way to get back to cruising and I am very pleased about that.
I will happily wear my mask on our upcoming sailing but there has got to be an end in sight!

I focused more on the "...for extended periods" phrase.  I have a difficult time doing anything strenuous for long periods when masked - especially with heavier cloth masks.  I don't expect to do anything more strenuous than playing the slots on this cruise but who knows.  Would Princess give someone an exemption?  I doubt it.

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

I cannot speak for all jurisdictions of course, but this is an example of what we have here locally:

    persons who have an underlying medical condition where wearing a Mask or Face Covering would inhibit the person’s ability to breathe in any way;
    persons who may experience a negative impact to their emotional well-being or mental health;
    persons who have a developmental disability which inhibits their ability to wear a Non-Medical Mask or Face Covering;
    persons who have a disability whereby the wearing of a NonMedical Mask or Face Covering would limit their ability to reasonably communicate with others or otherwise present a hardship for a person or persons assisting the individual;
    persons unable to place or remove a Non-Medical Mask or Face Covering without assistance;
    persons temporarily removing their Non-Medical Mask / Face Covering when necessary for receiving services (such as having a meal), or while actively engaging in an athletic or fitness activity; and

    employees and agents of the person responsible for the Public Place within an area designated for them and not for public access, or within or behind a physical barrier; in both instances where a physical distance of at least 2 metres can be maintained at all times between the patron(s) and the employee(s).

Had to get up early this morning for our shore excursion called Lagoon Cruise, Marigot & Scenic Island Drive. The cruise was around Simpson Bay and it was very relaxing with a little narration but mostly island music playing while we enjoyed the scenery and some rum punch. Next we drove to Marigot and had a little free time to enjoy a French bakery called Chez Fernand. Had a wonderful croissant and ham/cheese sandwich. The line was long and the service was slow so we didn’t have time to browse the shops or street vendors. The rest of the excursion was a sightseeing tour of the island before heading back to the ship. The excursion was ok, I’d give it a 3 out of 5 stars.

Once we were back at the cruise terminal I did a little shopping at Duty Free World which is my favorite t-shirt place in the Caribbean. They have good quality embroidered shirts which I’ve worn for years. 

We then headed back to the ship and I took a much needed nap. Didn’t sleep well last night as I’m covered in mosquito bites which I’ve picked up along the trip. They were driving me nuts last night despite putting spray and cream on them. If there is a mosquito it will find me. The nap felt great!

We met up with our friends for dinner in the MDR and then off to the show in the Princess Theater. It was another show by the comedian/magician Basilio Tabacchi. He’s got a quirky personality which has grown on me and I find him to be a lot of fun. 

One thing different I’ve noticed on this trip is the MDR just gives us paper menus on regular white copy paper. Nothing fancy. They aren’t printed on heavy card stock and inserted in the large folders that we’ve had on other cruises. When we sailed on the Majestic in August they still had the formal menus. I do have to say the plain paper menus don’t feel the same to me and I miss the more formal presentation of the menus we’ve always had in the past.

Looking forward to the next 2 sea days!!!

Ciao for now!

AA40A088-A272-4C09-A5B1-2ED5BC38005C.jpeg

47B47AB4-3C17-477B-BD58-4FCBFFD69630.jpeg

7D2076A1-A16E-4576-BD2B-B7095A2D9D0D.jpeg

EFF1930E-1902-4000-A893-6E92B471A1A1.jpeg

D4E24656-C530-48EC-83FA-C724C429AC01.jpeg

3E08D195-77E0-485C-A5FA-79205F6BC5B7.jpeg

01F87415-76C5-4DB0-A717-E70C84229090.jpeg

E41BB523-AF26-42EA-A95B-D4F14156A1E9.jpeg

CCB39817-C634-401F-8334-2802FA215C76.jpeg

6E21D7B3-29C5-4F56-AA8D-02EB3D2EFB0E.jpeg

98E36DE0-F27B-4972-ADB0-4848F2600705.jpeg