Is a 10:30 am Flight Doable in San Diego?

trixiee

We disembarked on Nov. 14. We were self assist and left our cabin at 8:15 a.m. and were outside waiting for our uber by 8:30 and at the airport by 8:45.  We had pre-check and that took about 5 minutes.  DON'T just go by our experience. Many people have said that customs could take up to one hour. We were the only ship that day.

• Like 1

May need PCR test results if going to Canada.  You should check this out to see if they give PCR test to you ahead of time on the ship.    Some have gotten it on ship and others have gotten it after Customs.

This may affect your decision.

Peter

• Like 1

If you read the various reports out of San Diego, both here, and on the West Coast Departures board, you wouldn't want to risk that early a flight. You might make it, you might not. We have sailed out of San Diego 5 or 6 times. A couple of times 10:30 would have been pretty stressful. Other times we could have made it easy. Our next cruise is out of San Diego...we passed on a 10:30 flight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

If you read the various reports out of San Diego, both here, and on the West Coast Departures board, you wouldn't want to risk that early a flight. You might make it, you might not. We have sailed out of San Diego 5 or 6 times. A couple of times 10:30 would have been pretty stressful. Other times we could have made it easy. Our next cruise is out of San Diego...we passed on a 10:30 flight.

Thank you!

Yes, it went pretty well today.  I thought the airport was quite busy though.  I have nexus so that helps.  Coming into Canada is not fun.  It’s much easier to leave.  The internet was very bad on the ship last night.  I was checking in for my flight at 1:30 am.  I also couldn’t get the arrive can app to work period on the ship.  It kept saying I had no internet.  Once I turned my data on once docked and had no problems.

Unless something changed they will do the pcr test on the ship on the koningsdam.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

I wouldn’t take the chance on that early of a flight. Our flight last month was at 11:45 am and we disembarked in plenty of time but it took forever and would have missed our flight but a kind port agent stepped in to help us. It was stressful to say the least. Next time I plan on staying in San Diego for the day and night. 

You have to make it your goal to get off the ship ASAP.

Sometimes that means 7 am at the gangway and wait with the others.

Do your homework and remember where you embarked....which deck and where.

You can't just wait for announcements.

David

15 hours ago, trixiee said:

There is a flight that departs at 10:30.  If I do self disembarkation can I do it? 

Things to consider are 1) will Customs slow you down (on some cruises they have just waived us by, others we had to stand in long line) and 2) are you travelling at a peak air travel time (I understand that airports are jammed this week and likely will be just before Christmas).  We have a cruise arriving back on Dec. 12 and decided to avoid the Sunday/holiday crowds by staying overnight in a hotel.

• Like 1

We sail on the December 5 cruise and fly from a regional airport in VA that currently is down to one connecting flight a day due to the pandemic in our direction going home. The flight from SAN is 11:05 am and had originally booked that having flown from SAN twice before. After reading about the inconsistency with the current debarkations, we rebooked and are staying an extra day in San Diego.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

We sail on the December 5 cruise and fly from a regional airport in VA that currently is down to one connecting flight a day due to the pandemic in our direction going home. The flight from SAN is 11:05 am and had originally booked that having flown from SAN twice before. After reading about the inconsistency with the current debarkations, we rebooked and are staying an extra day in San Diego.

IMO, a good idea.  Two years ago we flew out of SAN on a Sunday in mid-Dec and it was a zoo!  Lucky we made it home that night, after a 5 hour delay and last people to get on!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

IMO, a good idea.  Two years ago we flew out of SAN on a Sunday in mid-Dec and it was a zoo!  Lucky we made it home that night, after a 5 hour delay and last people to get on!

A nice city to spend an extra day visiting!

• Like 2

Yup... Likely not a great way to end the vacation.  Flight ease is allowing only departures after 11:30.  I think I'll use that as a guideline.

Thanks all!  I have never been to San Diego before, and don't know the area at all.  I wish I could stay another day, but that 4-letter word WORK gets in the way.