Three Dose Vaccine

BirdTravels

With the CDC authorization of the COVID vaccine boosters for all adults, several states are already saying that you are not fully vaccinated until you have 3 doses. 

How soon will NCL a change their vaccination policy to be the same. And, in the process, raise the minimum age of cruisers to 18 years old, since that is the minimum age for the booster?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

With the CDC authorization of the COVID vaccine boosters for all adults, several states are already saying that you are not fully vaccinated until you have 3 doses. 

How soon will NCL a change their vaccination policy to be the same. And, in the process, raise the minimum age of cruisers to 18 years old, since that is the minimum age for the booster?

I don't believe that will ever happen.

Just my personal opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

50 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

I don't believe that will ever happen.

Just my personal opinion.

I just read that the former commissioner of the  FDA believes the CDC will not change the definition of fully vaccinated to require a third dose anytime soon. I'm reasonably confident that NCL will not change its definition unless the CDC does.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/11/22/world/covid-vaccine-boosters-mandates#booster-scott-gottlieb

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I just read that the former commissioner of the  FDA believes the CDC will not change the definition of fully vaccinated to require a third dose anytime soon. I'm reasonably confident that NCL will not change its definition unless the CDC does.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/11/22/world/covid-vaccine-boosters-mandates#booster-scott-gottlieb

Exactly!

And I believe Scott Gottlieb works with NCL too.

2 hours ago, TSUmom said:

What about the Jansen single dose?  A second required?

I have 2 Johnson and Johnson bc I was in the trial. I am supposed to get a third dose of J&J which will really confuse them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I personally have my booster but don't see a mandate anytime soon, especially since residents of other countries aren't necessarily eligible for boosters yet and I don't think NCL is ready to lose their international clientele.

So the question becomes "How long until boosters are recommended in the rest of the world?"  I'll defer to experts on that but can't see it happening for a year, at least.

My opinion is that boosters will eventually be required to travel. Certainly for international travel as Croatia, Austria, and Israel are already requiring a booster shot based on the timing of the first round, and the UK has modified it's covid passport to accommodate a booster to avoid quarantine.

There are more positive covid cases now than at any time in history in Michigan. Ironically some states with the highest vaccination rates currently have higher covid numbers than at anytime during the entire pandemic (Vermont, Maine, etc..). Thankfully death rates are down. 

Currently, 26% of covid patients at University of Michigan Hospital have been double vaccinated and that percentage has been rising since early fall.  The CDC agrees that the vaccine is becoming less effective and has recommended a booster. IMO, It's only a matter of time before travel requirements follow. 

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Just out of curiosity, what states have said that you are not fully vaccinated until you have 3 doses? I have not seen any report that says this. (I have had my Moderna booster shot.)

And I will echo what others have said, this requirement will not be done by NCL or any cruise line unless the CDC mandates that a booster shot is required to be considered fully vaccinated.

A bigger question may very well be will a booster shot be required yearly, similar to a yearly flu shot?

20 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Just out of curiosity, what states have said that you are not fully vaccinated until you have 3 doses? I have not seen any report that says this. (I have had my Moderna booster shot.)

And I will echo what others have said, this requirement will not be done by NCL or any cruise line unless the CDC mandates that a booster shot is required to be considered fully vaccinated.

A bigger question may very well be will a booster shot be required yearly, similar to a yearly flu shot?

I'm unaware of any states which have claimed you need a booster to be fully vaccinated, but there are several countries who already have this requirement and talk is much of the EU is headed this direction.  Israel currently requires a booster every 6 months. 

4 hours ago, njhorseman said:

He isn't definitive about it:

https://www.businessinsider.com/gottlieb-cdc-will-likely-require-covid-booster-fully-vaccinated-2021-11

And has been wrong before:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/16/dr-scott-gottlieb-moderna-covid-vaccine-could-help-end-pandemic-.html

But, I agree.  NCL will not jump the gun.  CDC will have to mandate it first.

Edited by intr3pid
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

NPR said "Fauci was also asked about the governors of Connecticut and New Mexico saying that people are no longer considered fully vaccinated until they've gotten booster shots. He said the federal definition of fully vaccinated remains unchanged: two doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson shot."

in this article: https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/11/21/1057791427/covid-in-the-u-s-disney-florida-vaccine-mandate-boosters-fauci-2021-death-toll

• Thanks 3

On 11/22/2021 at 12:01 PM, ontheweb said:

Most recently New Mexico and Connecticut 

27 minutes ago, lixogab said:

I think eventually it will be required, but not as 3rd , 4th, etc, but as " the latest shot not older than N months"

Yes, exactly what Israel have done, fully vaccinated and last shot not older than 6 months.

I got the single does J&J in March. I am on the fence about mixing shots but when I asked my Dr. she said she was not a fan of J&J for women because of clotting issues.   I know NCL did not take mixed vaccine and wondering if that would include boosters.   Has anyone  gotten a J&J and another shot like Moderna? Any side effects? I want to cruise as safely as I can.  Going on Getaway in April. 

19 minutes ago, ALS1214 said:

I got the single does J&J in March. I am on the fence about mixing shots but when I asked my Dr. she said she was not a fan of J&J for women because of clotting issues.   I know NCL did not take mixed vaccine and wondering if that would include boosters.   Has anyone  gotten a J&J and another shot like Moderna? Any side effects? I want to cruise as safely as I can.  Going on Getaway in April. 

That has changed, mixed approved vaccines are now OK.

https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/cruise-faq/what-vaccines-will-be-accepted

31 minutes ago, ALS1214 said:

From a medical professional friend, studies are showing that mixing types for booster is actually more effective,  especially adding Pfizer or Moderna on top of J&J is actually recommended due to the different approaches to how it is protecting you.

Edited by alwalaska
  • Like 1

At what point will a 4th dose be needed? Hopefully over time a longer period than in between the 2nd and 3rd. One possibility is at some point the cruise lines would say proof of booster or dose within the last 6 months or whatever timeframe the CDC feels effectiveness lasts.

Right now we are seeing an increase in cases due to the effectiveness of dose #2 wearing off, people not being careful and  those who have not gotten dose #1. Enough time has been given for variants to develop and spread.

• 2 weeks later...

I know to be considered fully vaccinated you need to have the 2 shots and completed 2 weeks prior to sailing (which we are); but does the same apply to the booster?  I know the booster is not mandatory but if we got it, would we have to get it more than 2 weeks before we sail?

23 minutes ago, gatorchinsky said:

I know to be considered fully vaccinated you need to have the 2 shots and completed 2 weeks prior to sailing (which we are); but does the same apply to the booster?  I know the booster is not mandatory but if we got it, would we have to get it more than 2 weeks before we sail?

Not per anything on the NCL site.