Christmas on board HAL

REM2

Hello, 

This year we will be on board for the first time over Christmas and I have a couple of questions.  We'll have our children with us and would like to know what to anticipate as far as activities, etc. 

We're planning to bring small wrapped gifts in our luggage. Is the giftwrapping likely to cause issues with screening? I could wait to wrap onboard, but would be better to do it ahead. 

I've read posts of people who traveled over Christmas in the past and they reported that Santa came on Christmas morning and there were other activities like caroling and gingerbread house displays, so hopefully some of that will be available this year as well. 

On an unrelated note, are we still allowed to bring non-alcoholic beverages onboard? I think in the past it wasn't a problem, but recently saw someone post the their soda was confiscated. 

Thanks! 

2 hours ago, REM2 said:

Hello, 

This year we will be on board for the first time over Christmas and I have a couple of questions.  We'll have our children with us and would like to know what to anticipate as far as activities, etc. 

We're planning to bring small wrapped gifts in our luggage. Is the giftwrapping likely to cause issues with screening? I could wait to wrap onboard, but would be better to do it ahead. 

I've read posts of people who traveled over Christmas in the past and they reported that Santa came on Christmas morning and there were other activities like caroling and gingerbread house displays, so hopefully some of that will be available this year as well. 

On an unrelated note, are we still allowed to bring non-alcoholic beverages onboard? I think in the past it wasn't a problem, but recently saw someone post the their soda was confiscated. 

Thanks! 

Just want to warn you: TSA may pull your wrapped gifts, so be careful what you wrap. 

We have sailed with HAL for the past 11 Christmases, except for last year's COVID shut down.  We'll be on Rotterdam Christmas/New Year's in about a month. COVID restrictions may change how the ships celebrate Christmas, but in the past, there was a tree lighting ceremony at the beginning of the cruise.  One night, there was caroling.  Christmas Eve was normally designated as the gala evening with a special performance and midnight services.  Christmas morning, Santa would arrive, normally in the theater, usually around 11 a.m.  

One year aboard Noordam, we enjoyed caroling in the Artrium with flakes of snow falling from the upper balconies.  There was at least five inches of the fine paper stuff on the floor when the event finished, but the effect of the fluttering "flakes" was astounding.  Of course, all the kids rushed to play in the "snow" at the end.  

In the past, all of the public spaces on the ships were decorated with trees, wreaths, gingerbread villages, and garlands, and the staff constantly handed out cookies.  The Christmas we sailed aboard Prinsendam (no longer part of the HAL fleet), we returned from midnight mass to find a beautifully wrapped present on our bed.  It was a metal ornament of the ship.  We never received gifts on the other ships, however.

As for your soft drinks and other bottled beverages, such as water, I have no idea what the current policy is.  It's probably been six or seven years since we last boarded with several cases of soft drinks.  Now, we buy the nonalcoholic drink package.  You may want to call Seattle and see if anyone can give you updated policies.  Be advised, though, that one person may tell you one thing, while another contradicts that information.  Have a wonderful holiday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

there was a tree lighting ceremony at the beginning of the cruise.  One night, there was caroling.  Christmas Eve was normally designated as the gala evening with a special performance and midnight services.  Christmas morning, Santa would arrive, normally in the theater, usually around 11 a.m.  

The Christmas morning program is one not to be missed.  Whether the ship is at sea or is in port.  This is a highlight  of Christmas morning.  The build-up of the anticipation of Santa's arrival over the PA (done by the Master) and the video that accompanies it is one that ought not to be missed.  The children present are then called to the stage to visit Santa with his elves.  Each is given a gift.  When I sailed on Prinsendam at Christmas, there were more gifts than children and most, if not all, got more than one.  (What they were?  No idea.)  

The best part of one Christmas morning's program was when the CD called the youth to visit Santa by age groups.  When he got to the teenagers and asked the same question as he did for all:  "What would you like Santa to bring you for Christmas?"  One young man's response was X-rated and brought down the house!  The CD's response was hilarious to watch and hear as well!

7 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

In the past, all of the public spaces on the ships were decorated with trees, wreaths, gingerbread villages, and garlands

10 hours ago, REM2 said:

During the tree lighting ceremony, the entertainers sing carols, song sheets are distributed to the guests to encourage them to sing-a-long, Stewards distribute cups of hot chocolate and Christmas cookies.  It's a festive way to begin a holiday cruise.

I predict you will be in for a treat!  Regarding wrapped gifts in your luggage, I can't address that, but, I would suggest that you consider wrapping them once onboard.

And, if able, don't forget a small cash gift for your Cabin Stewards and your MDR Stewards.  That will be very much appreciated by them as well as any other crew members you might choose to gift.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Just want to warn you: TSA may pull your wrapped gifts, so be careful what you wrap. 

Not flying, so won't have to worry about TSA thankfully. This is a good point for those who are though! 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback! We are excited and it sounds like it will be a special Christmas for the kids (11, 9) who have been a little hesitant about our break with the usual traditions. I suppose I could try to be sneaky and get gifts and wrapping paper on board then wrap them when the kids are out of the cabin. They are very observant so I will have to mind my P's and Q's or they will definitely be on to me! Our youngest still believes in Santa, so don't want to spoil the surprise for her. 

I really appreciate all the details from your past Christmas cruise experiences. Hopefully it will be similar this year! I was thinking of bringing cash for Christmas gifts for the stewards, etc, so good to hear it's not outside the norm for the holidays. 

I have the same feelings about whether what I'm told by one person will be enforced/interpreted correctly by the person doing the screening. In the past we've flown to our departure ports and there was much more schlepping involved to get aboard. They did allow non-alcoholic beverages at the time, but this was a couple of years ago. I guess since we're driving and will have easy access to grocery stores it won't be too inconvenient to grab a case of soda and seltzer water and roll the dice it won't be confiscated.

@REM2  On the HAL website under the "Know Before you Go" FAQ section:

"Revised Policy effective June 1st, 2021

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use except as follows:

Guests may bring Wine and Champagne onboard, however a corkage fee of USD $20.00 (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to each bottle (max 750 ml in volume or less). Limitations apply. Wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.

Wine purchased during company-sponsored shore excursions that visit local wineries are exempt from the on-board corkage fee (offer limited to one bottle of wine per person).

Items such as sodas, energy drinks or other non-alcoholic items are not allowed on board in any form. Plastic water bottles are not allowed. However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are allowed per stateroom.  Any amount in excess of this allowance will be not be allowed onboard. Water in plastic bottles will not be allowed onboard in any quantity, including in ports of call. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding. 

All checked and carry-on luggage will be scanned and any prohibited items, including alcoholic/nonalcoholic beverages will be removed, confiscated, and discarded.  If Your luggage is locked, the lock may be removed by security or, alternatively, the luggage will be held by security until you can be present for an inspection and any items in question further identified and/or surrendered."

Have a wonderful cruise!

~Nancy

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, oakridger said:

Items such as sodas, energy drinks or other non-alcoholic items are not allowed on board in any form. Plastic water bottles are not allowed. However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are allowed per stateroom.  Any amount in excess of this allowance will be not be allowed onboard. Water in plastic bottles will not be allowed onboard in any quantity, including in ports of call. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding. 

Thank you! I had read the FAQ's, but I overlooked this. 

8 hours ago, oakridger said:

@REM2  On the HAL website under the "Know Before you Go" FAQ section:

"Revised Policy effective June 1st, 2021

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use except as follows:

Guests may bring Wine and Champagne onboard, however a corkage fee of USD $20.00 (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to each bottle (max 750 ml in volume or less). Limitations apply. Wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.

Wine purchased during company-sponsored shore excursions that visit local wineries are exempt from the on-board corkage fee (offer limited to one bottle of wine per person).

All checked and carry-on luggage will be scanned and any prohibited items, including alcoholic/nonalcoholic beverages will be removed, confiscated, and discarded.  If Your luggage is locked, the lock may be removed by security or, alternatively, the luggage will be held by security until you can be present for an inspection and any items in question further identified and/or surrendered."

Have a wonderful cruise!

~Nancy

I wonder if something like this would be okay to bring aboard, we like to have a sealed bottle bedside at night. We would have them in our luggage without liquid and take them home with us.

C8E4B405-874F-4DB7-841B-2F037C3CF9B4.jpeg

48 minutes ago, ellbelle said:

I wonder if something like this would be okay to bring aboard, we like to have a sealed bottle bedside at night. We would have them in our luggage without liquid and take them home with us.

Hmmm...I was about to respond that they are not allowing water in plastic bottles (They are trying to reduce plastic water) but you just have Plastic Bottle (No Water) - interesting Question. I mean they allow personal grooming products in plastic bottles. 

We just changed over our house from using cases and cases of small plastic bottles to having 5 Gallon refill jugs delivered. Still trying to break DW of the small plastic bottle and use one of the plethora of reusable plastic & Stainless Steel water bottles (to not much effect I might add). Apparently she like the screw on top, and the smallness of the old bottle. Might try something like what you have to see how it works.

The Water purchased from HAL ( Acqua Panna) in glass 1 liter bottles has a screw top. DW, who is (very) picky about her water likes it very much.

You can also get water in small or 1/2 or 1 liter packaged containers with screw tops. Order from Amazon and cart on board (6 liters max)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084ZVBL6V?ref=emc_p_m_5_i

• Like 1

According to the live threads from previous cruises this season, "empty" plastic bottles are fine to be brought on board.  It might be good to have them in carry-on luggage so that your luggage won't be diverted to the "naughty" room for inspection.

• Like 1

It has been a number of years since our HAL Christmas cruise, but we have wonderful memories of it.  As noted, there were lots of nice Christmas decorations, including trees (one upside-down one) all over the ship, a "snowfall" event from the midship balconies, and an excellent crew show on Christmas Eve, followed by a midnight Mass.

I remember that Christmas Eve was a formal night, with universal participation, and that on Christmas Day evening many passengers dressed formally as well.

One interesting event was a Chinese dinner and Adam Sandler movie for the Jewish passengers (or anyone else) who wished to attend.

The children aboard were very well-behaved, as were the adults.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I remember that Christmas Eve was a formal night, with universal participation, and that on Christmas Day evening many passengers dressed formally as well.

Christmas Eve was formal and the guests dressed appropriately.  Christmas Day was informal, but, I wore my tux, my traveling companion wore another "formal" type attire, and we were not alone.  

21 hours ago, REM2 said:

Our youngest still believes in Santa, so don't want to spoil the surprise for her. 

Oh, I hope that they will still have the Christmas morning program in the theater where the Captain documents the arrival of Santa to the ship and a video is shown of his arrival and his path through the vessel to the theater.  Your youngest will thoroughly enjoy that, I think.  

Gifts are given to the children in attendance along with a photo with Santa.  Some children are hesitant to participate.  Encourage your child to do so.  

For me, it's a Christmas morning that I always remember as a witness to the festivities.  

10 hours ago, ellbelle said:

C8E4B405-874F-4DB7-841B-2F037C3CF9B4.jpeg

I brought my empty  plastic water bottle that I use for hiking along with me on our cruise last week on the NA. It was in my checked bag and there was no issue. I had it filled by the waitstaff with ice water throughout the cruise.

• Like 1

If you're interested in what a tree lighting ceremony made be like - here's a video of the one from our 2015 cruise on the Volendam.  

You should note, it was a 28-day cruise in the Far East, so there wasn't very many kid's on the cruise - as there likely would be on say a 7-day Caribbean cruise. 

Here's a video showing Santa giving out presents Christmas morning.

I apologies for the quality of the videos, as they are unedited raw videos, taken with a basic cell phone camera.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 9:09 AM, Crew News said:

According to the live threads from previous cruises this season, "empty" plastic bottles are fine to be brought on board.  It might be good to have them in carry-on luggage so that your luggage won't be diverted to the "naughty" room for inspection.

It sounds like they are trying to reduce plastic waste, so don't want any *disposable* plastic water bottles on board, but allow reusable water bottles.  If someone were to bring an empty disposable bottle, I would not be surprised if it was confiscated and discarded.  The "juice bottles" from Amazon that were posted above are questionable.  They say reusable, but look a lot like disposables.  It might depend on the crew member observing them to decide if they are acceptable or not.

Personally, I plan to bring my ThermoFlask, which is not even plastic, and keeps my drinks cold a long time.

• Like 1

We have sailed over Christmas/New Years for the last 13 years, with the notable exception of 2020. HAL does a lovely job with the holidays, and your kids are in for a treat. We are eagerly looking forward to Christmas at sea again this year and are curious to see what the traditions will look like during COVID-times. Our favorite program is the Christmas eve event in the theater, with caroling from the Indonesian, Filipino, and International choirs - very beautiful and moving, a must see. The Christmas tree lighting and caroling on the first or second night of the cruise is also nice with its "snowfall", as is the Christmas morning program in the theater with Santa. In the past, Christmas cookies and eggnog or hot chocolate are served at the latter two events. 

The ships feel very festive, and the atriums especially are decorated to the nines with trees and gingerbread houses. We also like to bring a small (fake) tree for the cabin and decorate our door with garland and other holiday décor. The holiday meals are very good, too: Christmas eve dinner is an "international" themed meal, with dishes labeled by country, and Christmas day will feature the usual holiday entrees like turkey, ham, and beef. 

Lastly, regarding presents - we always wrap our Christmas presents before leaving home and have never had an issue, either at the pier or through TSA. Our gifts are usually smaller (jewelry, small electronics), so YMMV especially with larger gifts and TSA, but the ship should not be an issue. Hope you enjoy your Christmas at sea - we always have, and once you celebrate the holidays this way it's hard to go back!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

I apologies for the quality of the videos, as they are unedited raw videos, taken with a basic cell phone camera.

No apologies are needed!  These are excellent videos and are what I experienced during a Christmas cruise.  Thank you for posting them.  May your family have a healthy and Merry Christmas season!  

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2021 at 11:07 AM, GeorgeCharlie said:

If you're interested in what a tree lighting ceremony made be like - here's a video of the one from our 2015 cruise on the Volendam.  

Thank you so much for the videos and the insight into what to expect! They are great!  We are excited!

On 11/26/2021 at 1:28 PM, Infi said:

We have sailed over Christmas/New Years for the last 13 years, with the notable exception of 2020. HAL does a lovely job with the holidays, and your kids are in for a treat. We are eagerly looking forward to Christmas at sea again this year and are curious to see what the traditions will look like during COVID-times. Our favorite program is the Christmas eve event in the theater, with caroling from the Indonesian, Filipino, and International choirs - very beautiful and moving, a must see. The Christmas tree lighting and caroling on the first or second night of the cruise is also nice with its "snowfall", as is the Christmas morning program in the theater with Santa. In the past, Christmas cookies and eggnog or hot chocolate are served at the latter two events. 

The ships feel very festive, and the atriums especially are decorated to the nines with trees and gingerbread houses. We also like to bring a small (fake) tree for the cabin and decorate our door with garland and other holiday décor. The holiday meals are very good, too: Christmas eve dinner is an "international" themed meal, with dishes labeled by country, and Christmas day will feature the usual holiday entrees like turkey, ham, and beef. 

Lastly, regarding presents - we always wrap our Christmas presents before leaving home and have never had an issue, either at the pier or through TSA. Our gifts are usually smaller (jewelry, small electronics), so YMMV especially with larger gifts and TSA, but the ship should not be an issue. Hope you enjoy your Christmas at sea - we always have, and once you celebrate the holidays this way it's hard to go back!

Thanks for sharing your experience!  We aren't planning to take large gifts, so I appreciate the feedback with regard to smaller packages being no problem for you.  

On 11/26/2021 at 11:23 AM, sherryf said:

It sounds like they are trying to reduce plastic waste, so don't want any *disposable* plastic water bottles on board, but allow reusable water bottles.  If someone were to bring an empty disposable bottle, I would not be surprised if it was confiscated and discarded.  The "juice bottles" from Amazon that were posted above are questionable.  They say reusable, but look a lot like disposables.  It might depend on the crew member observing them to decide if they are acceptable or not.

Personally, I plan to bring my ThermoFlask, which is not even plastic, and keeps my drinks cold a long time.

I have been on the NA Alaska 7 day and the Eurodam 24 day this year.  I had disposable plastic bottles with me both times when I boarded, and several times on the Eurodam when I returned to the ship from tours.  Nothing was ever taken from me nor was it questioned by staff.  YMMV. (yes, I know the new rules say differently)  Sorry to hijack this Christmas thread. 

Edited by Red Haired Lady

On 11/23/2021 at 8:08 PM, REM2 said:I suppose I could try to be sneaky and get gifts and wrapping paper on board then wrap them when the kids are out of the cabin. They are very observant so I will have to mind my P's and Q's or they will definitely be on to me! Our youngest still believes in Santa, so don't want to spoil the surprise for her. 

Can you potentially pack the presents in a carry on size suitcase and then place the carry on inside a larger suitcase?

I did that once and said the suitcase was for all the souvenirs we were taking home and had nothing inside.

Little did our kids suspect that the carry on had Christmas presents stored inside.

just a thought.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ShipWalker said:

Christmas season has started on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Christmas music everywhere during loading. Decorations everywhere. And a large gingerbread town display. (With a train)

58BE0BA7-740A-4052-A83E-CA1050632078.thumb.jpeg.b6a15abfdb45853c6a931d6656d4a06a.jpeg

Thanks for sharing the photo . We are on the New Years Eve cruise and we hope that they keep the decorations up through the New Year .