Celebrity with Kids? Or stick to RC

Manda917

We usually do a spring break cruise with the whole family, including my 6 y/o son.  Since he is the only child in the group I like to make sure he has plenty that he will enjoy.  Usually we book on Royal as that seems to fit well, but we are considering booking Celebrity.  When we travel just us (no kid) we love Celebrity, but I am afraid is won't have a lot to appeal to him.  He does like hanging out with his family and the BIG waterslides aren't really his thing yet.  My husband wants me to book the cruise YESTERDAY...so I welcome any opinions or suggestions. 

@Manda917

Hello from up the road in Boynton Beach...

We have an 8 year old and have only taken him on Celebrity - Our son has ASD so the less activity / etc is actually better for him.

They do have a kids club on Celebrity (not sure what's going on right now with COVID restrictions) there are many on CruiseCritic that have said they have taken their kids (or grandkids) on Celebrity - and there are those that will tell you to stay away.

It really depends on your child / what their needs are - also where you are going. We've been taking trips for sightseeing - which our little one enjoys.

If your son needs lots of activities / playground etc it may not be as good -

Let me know if you have any other questions.

6 minutes ago, pl281 said:

@Manda917

Hello from up the road in Boynton Beach...

We have an 8 year old and have only taken him on Celebrity - Our son has ASD so the less activity / etc is actually better for him.

They do have a kids club on Celebrity (not sure what's going on right now with COVID restrictions) there are many on CruiseCritic that have said they have taken their kids (or grandkids) on Celebrity - and there are those that will tell you to stay away.

It really depends on your child / what their needs are - also where you are going. We've been taking trips for sightseeing - which our little one enjoys.

If your son needs lots of activities / playground etc it may not be as good -

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the info.  We are going Spring Break so I am assuming this might have more kids on it than other weeks.  He did go on an Alaskan cruise and although he was only one of 6 kids on the entire ship he still had a great time.  I guess I would love if anyone had info on their kids club.  The good and the bad.  

The last Royal Cruise we did the kids were all thrown into one kids club (no age separation) and he hated it. But I was told they were trying out that model. 

May I suggest a Disney cruise? At 6 yrs of age, this would be a perfect time for him to experience one. You can also have your own free time when he is in the Kids Club version.

I starting taking my Grandson at age 5 and he loves it. Let me add that being a FL resident also has it perks on pricing for Disney.

Edited by TrulyBlonde

21 minutes ago, Manda917 said:

We usually do a spring break cruise with the whole family, including my 6 y/o son.  Since he is the only child in the group I like to make sure he has plenty that he will enjoy.  Usually we book on Royal as that seems to fit well, but we are considering booking Celebrity.  When we travel just us (no kid) we love Celebrity, but I am afraid is won't have a lot to appeal to him.  He does like hanging out with his family and the BIG waterslides aren't really his thing yet.  My husband wants me to book the cruise YESTERDAY...so I welcome any opinions or suggestions. 

We have taken our then young kids on many Celebrity cruises.  Although Royal Caribbean probably has a better program, my experience is that Celebrity's program is excellent for 6 yr old children.  It is when our kids became older--say teenagers--that Celebrity's program was boring to them and the existence of climbing walls, etc would have been great.

Based on what you posted, I wouldn't hesitate to book a Celebrity family cruise.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

@Manda917

Spring break yes there will be more kids - here is the information on the Celebrity website. https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/camp-at-sea

As I recall from past cruises (and postings) - they will sometimes merge the groups but only if there are only a limited number of kids - not something they regularly do.

I know they have various paid activities for the kids PJ Party - Dinners and some other items.

As I said you know your kid best.

12 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

May I suggest a Disney cruise? At 6 yrs of age, this would be a perfect time for him to experience one. You can also have your own free time when he is in the Kids Club version.

I starting taking my Grandson at age 5 and he loves it. Let me add that being a FL resident also has it perks on pricing for Disney.

WE had that as our original plan, but I am thinking that all of the activities might not be going on on the Disney cruise and for that price point I want the full experience.  We are passholders so know that Disney is still not open to full steam. 

7 minutes ago, Manda917 said:

WE had that as our original plan, but I am thinking that all of the activities might not be going on on the Disney cruise and for that price point I want the full experience.  We are passholders so know that Disney is still not open to full steam. 

I would ask Disney.  That would be first choice for me with a 6yr old.  The question is if your child likes organized activities with lots of kids or smaller groups.  Would be less kids on X.

Of all the mainstream cruise lines, I'm thinking Celebrity is probably the most adult focused of them all, with the exception of HAL, which is even more geared towards senior adults.

Royal is going to have the slides, the pools, the large game room, etc.  Aside from some more adult themed Augmented/Virtual reality attractions, I can't think of one child themed activity that's obvious on Celebrity.

Go Royal.

• Like 2

Agree on Royal if they are not willing to go on Disney yet. Celebrity is an adult focused cruise and I have never seen any 6 yr old on it.

As I stated above, Disney is perfect for this age. My Grandson now is 10 1/2 and too old for Disney. I would never take him on Celebrity but would take him on Royal for that surf thing they have etc. I must note that I have never been on Royal but no way Celebrity for a young child.

Grandmothers here give good advice. We already raised our children 🙂

• Like 1

Celebrity is a great option for your child and for you as well. My daughter, between the ages of 5 and 8, did 3 cruises on Celebrity and loved them.   She cried when we had to get of the ship on the last cruise. The kid's club is fabulous and is not overrun.  The staff is very attentive and got to know our daughter very well.     On one we cruise, when we stopped in Rome and were in front of the Colisuem, we heard someone yelling out our daughter's name.  We turned around and discovered  it was one of the counselors from the kid's club.

There is a group on this board who thinks that children have no place on Celebrity.  Ignore them.  When on Celebrity, I have discovered the more repugnant behavior comes froms the adults than the children.   

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, parallax said:

Celebrity is a great option for your child and for you as well. My daughter, between the ages of 5 and 8, did 3 cruises on Celebrity and loved them.   She cried when we had to get of the ship on the last cruise. The kid's club is fabulous and is not overrun.  The staff is very attentive and got to know our daughter very well.     On one we cruise, when we stopped in Rome and were in front of the Colisuem, we heard someone yelling out our daughter's name.  We turned around and discovered  it was one of the counselors from the kid's club.

There is a group on this board who thinks that children have no place on Celebrity.  Ignore them.  When on Celebrity, I have discovered the more repugnant behavior comes froms the adults than the children.   

First, may I say that I have never experienced a group of people on these boards who think children have no place on Celebrity.  Simply not true.  Second, we’ve sailed with Celebrity 20+ times over the years and have never experienced repugnant (your word) behaviour from any adult.  Yes, Celebrity has an excellent kids club.  This is where your post should have stopped.

• Like 3

The Fun Factory (if Celebrity still calls their kids club that) is excellent.  We have taken our children (adults now with the youngest almost 19) on Celebrity and Royal and they all enjoyed Celebrity more.  There are less children so the staff is more engaging and our children found it easier to meet others. 

I just remember it being a chaotic zoo on Royal when we went to pick the kids up the few times we did sail with them.  Spring Break and the Holidays will have more kids onboard for your 6yr old on Celebrity.  I would not hesitate to sail Celebrity.  I will add that our 19 yr old finds Celebrity boring now, but our children in their mid and late twenties and early 30s like Celebrity.  I feel in a few years our 19yr old will come to love Celebrity again.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

First, may I say that I have never experienced a group of people on these boards who think children have no place on Celebrity.  Simply not true.  Second, we’ve sailed with Celebrity 20+ times over the years and have never experienced repugnant (your word) behaviour from any adult.  Yes, Celebrity has an excellent kids club.  This is where your post should have stopped.

Yes, we were all providing suggestions that the OP asked for along with our experiences. The OP has answered everyone graciously. 

• Like 1

I also think you might want to consider Royal.  Since your son is 6 yo, he will enjoy the kid's club, special kid's pool, etc. that they have on most of the ships. If you do a larger ship like  Symphony or Harmony there will be even more.  Kids typically love the Aqua and Ice Skating shows, mini-golf, the much better arcades, etc.

I'd look at both and at itineraries and price and stuff, but for family cruises Royal has better "stuff".  That said, I'd never hesitate to go on Royal or Celebrity.

3 minutes ago, tserface said:

I also think you might want to consider Royal.  Since your son is 6 yo, he will enjoy the kid's club, special kid's pool, etc. that they have on most of the ships. If you do a larger ship like  Symphony or Harmony there will be even more.  Kids typically love the Aqua and Ice Skating shows, mini-golf, the much better arcades, etc.

I'd look at both and at itineraries and price and stuff, but for family cruises Royal has better "stuff".  That said, I'd never hesitate to go on Royal or Celebrity.

When I am ready to take my 10 yr old Grandson on another cruise, I think you just sold him on it. 😉

• Haha 1

I'll get some flack for saying this, but IMHO your choice of a cruise should not center around what is best for a 6 year old.  Yes, he would probably like a Royal or Disney cruise better.  But you are booking a cruise for the whole family, not just for him.  We took our son on many Celebrity cruises from the time he was 3 years old.  He had a great time.  They have a good kids program, pools for him to swim in, time with the family in port, etc..  And honestly, if he is not partying his cute little heart out all day long he may instead be spending some wonderful family time together that he will remember the rest of his life (I hope that didn't sound sarcastic, I meant it sincerely).

• Like 2

My daughter adored Disney when she was about that age, not just for the absolutely enchanting kids club with excellent counselors from all over the world, but also for the shows, movies, themed dining and the ever present character entertainment. But I remember she never wanted to leave the club, it was pure magic to her.

That said, when she was a few years older she loved Celebrity for their kids club and their equally excellent counselors. One time she was one of only four kids in her age integrated kids club, and she still years after can talk about how much fun she had when she was one of only four kids roughly her age on that cruise. They would play Rock Band and ping pong and make pizzas etc.

However, I have been made aware how fellow cruisers on Celebrity have been less than child-friendly, and that is something you may want to take into consideration as well when you make your choice. As an adult and a parent I can say that the happier the child is, the less stress that will put on you as well as on fellow passengers. Only you know what will make your child happiest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

I'll get some flack for saying this, but IMHO your choice of a cruise should not center around what is best for a 6 year old.  Yes, he would probably like a Royal or Disney cruise better.  But you are booking a cruise for the whole family, not just for him.  We took our son on many Celebrity cruises from the time he was 3 years old.  He had a great time.  They have a good kids program, pools for him to swim in, time with the family in port, etc..  And honestly, if he is not partying his cute little heart out all day long he may instead be spending some wonderful family time together that he will remember the rest of his life (I hope that didn't sound sarcastic, I meant it sincerely).

I agree.  I felt that Celebrity was the optimum choice for our family as a whole..

4 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

OMG, numerous threads over the years of people who think kids don’t belong on cruise ships especially Celebrity ships. I sailed with my kids years ago and my kids loved Celebrity. Their programs are more educational. Have seen numerous posts on this board where kids preferred Celebrity over Disney. I have found over the years that many of those who tell you other cruise lines have never taken kids on a Celebrity ship. Celebrity does not have slides or rock climbing walls but you can’t go wrong during busy times.

• Like 2

We looked forward to  family cruising on  Royal ( great day at Coco Cay) with grand kiddos( age 6 and 2)  but they are not vaccinated so doubtful cruising will be an option for them .Fortunately,   there are many  land based resort options where they are allowed.

. X seems to have a nice children's program..but no kiddie pools, no slides,  other than adult hot tubs..

I think you need to take thought into how much time  you want the kids to be in the Kids Club. If you intend on them being there for a lot of your cruise then it probably doesn’t matter which Line you choose.

If they will be spending more time with you, then Royal is the better choice. More family activities and less sedate areas than Celebrity.