Help! any info if i can book private excursions not ship??

catergirl

1 hour ago, mikna said:

We were NOT allowed to. We had to pay RCCL an extra $1200.00 just to get off the boat at ports. They won't tell you this in advance!

go their royal caribbean website it gives you all the details on what certain islands have set for their rules.    they change on a regular basis so best you check frequently on their website if you are concerned. 

as of right now there are 3 islands that require cruise ship passengers to take ship excursions.

FYI, No one forced you to pay $1200 to get off the ship.   There are very reasonable excursions offered.  Remember the rules are set by the countries/islands that are being visited not Royal Caribbean.     

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikna said:

Actually after you book they send emails stating otherwise. Every port we visit allows us (as fully vaccinated passengers) to get off the ship at ports, But Royal Caribbean will NOT because of this new policy. Check out a screenshot of one of their 3 emails to us stating this:

Screenshot (4).png

This information is Has been posted on their website since they began sailing and is frequently updated.     Did you look there or just didn't bother and would rather complain now?

And if you read or posted the entire email it lists 3 islands that require ship excursions (not just for royal caribbean!)

During our September Alaska cruise we were able to go anywhere we wanted so long as we were vaccinated.  To be fair, the trip stayed completely in the U.S.  I'd guess it has more to do with other country's rule than Royals (or any other cruise line).

We've never had an excursion cost $1200 though.  Mostly, even the really expensive ones are less than $200 and the ones we've taken with Royal have been worth it.  It's easy to find the busses, you typically get back on time or they wait for you, and they keep you really safe.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mikna said:

-We also did the research, but RCCL changed their policy after we booked & paid. 

-This is NOT a policy of the countries we visit; it is, by their own admission, purely a RCCL policy. Each country allows us, as fully vaccinated adults, to debark & use a pre-booked local provided. RCCL does not. We are literally held captive on that ship throughout the entire cruise unless we pay them money for an RCCL excursion.

So, for my FOUR upcoming cruises, we are allowed to get off the ship and venture our on our own since we are vaccinated and not traveling with anyone unvaxxed in our group.  Are you sailing only to those three islands where that is not allowed?  If that is the case, then as I said before, it's not Royal calling the shots no matter what you want to believe.  This just seems very weird that only you are being excluded.  

Also, one thing to keep in mind that while many countries do allow travelers who arrive by air to move about their country/island as long as you are vaccinated, they have separate rules for those arriving by cruise ship. Again, not under Royal's control, nor any other cruise line.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, badvector said:

Look, I empathize with what's happened with the requirement changes but to come on and scream how they are charging you $1200 just to get off the ship is a bit much in my opinion.

There are 2 different parts to this:

1) You have to pay them (via excursion fees) to get off the ship.

2) Our cost for us (2 people) was $1200.

Also I wasn't "screaming it" over multiple posts initially. I made 1 post, and made 1 comment in another. However then people like you came out in droves to call me a liar, say my account was fake, etc... Every post since then has been a rely to someone's direct question/comment to me. 

8 minutes ago, rockmom said:

So, for my FOUR upcoming cruises, we are allowed to get off the ship and venture our on our own since we are vaccinated and not traveling with anyone unvaxxed in our group.  Are you sailing only to those three islands where that is not allowed?  If that is the case, then as I said before, it's not Royal calling the shots no matter what you want to believe.  This just seems very weird that only you are being excluded.  

Also, one thing to keep in mind that while many countries do allow travelers who arrive by air to move about their country/island as long as you are vaccinated, they have separate rules for those arriving by cruise ship. Again, not under Royal's control, nor any other cruise line.  

Come on rockmom. I have stated multiple times that each island/country we visit DOES allow us to debark a cruise ship & use local providers. That is a fact. RCCL won't let us. That is also a fact. And no, we are visiting more islands than those. This is literally RCCL "calling the shots" by their own admission. Why is this so hard to accept?

I guess it's just a coincidence that RCCL will get more of out $ via this new policy?

16 minutes ago, tserface said:

During our September Alaska cruise we were able to go anywhere we wanted so long as we were vaccinated.  To be fair, the trip stayed completely in the U.S.  I'd guess it has more to do with other country's rule than Royals (or any other cruise line).

We've never had an excursion cost $1200 though.  Mostly, even the really expensive ones are less than $200 and the ones we've taken with Royal have been worth it.  It's easy to find the busses, you typically get back on time or they wait for you, and they keep you really safe.

The $1200 was for shore excursions at ALL ports for the cruise, not just 1. Sorry if I want't clear.

22 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

go their royal caribbean website it gives you all the details on what certain islands have set for their rules.    they change on a regular basis so best you check frequently on their website if you are concerned. 

as of right now there are 3 islands that require cruise ship passengers to take ship excursions.

FYI, No one forced you to pay $1200 to get off the ship.   There are very reasonable excursions offered.  Remember the rules are set by the countries/islands that are being visited not Royal Caribbean.     

How many times can I state it: The islands we visit allow us to debark a cruise ship to use local providers. Every single one. However RCCL doesn't.

22 minutes ago, mikna said:

There are 2 different parts to this:

1) You have to pay them (via excursion fees) to get off the ship.

2) Our cost for us (2 people) was $1200.

Also I wasn't "screaming it" over multiple posts initially. I made 1 post, and made 1 comment in another. However then people like you came out in droves to call me a liar, say my account was fake, etc... Every post since then has been a rely to someone's direct question/comment to me. 

Can you please show me evidence of where I called you a liar or said your account was fake.  I believe you when you say you have to book through Royal to take an excursion.  It's currently written that way on their safe sailing page so no, I don't think I ever called you a liar.

What exactly are "people like me"? You don't know a thing about me so I'm curious as to what "people like me" are like in your mind.  Is it because I challenged the statement that it cost $1200 to get off of the ship?  

According to their website, there are two ports you can get off the ship as long as you stay in the enclosed area.  Is this different for your sailing or are you exaggerating that you "can't get off the ship"?  

The restrictions are all spelled out on their website.  Doesn't matter what the islands say (which is apt to change on a monthly basis) anyway.

1 hour ago, rockmom said:

disregard Mikna's comments.     Mikna is sailing on Grandeur set to start sailing out of Barbados in December.     Barbados has some very strict travel requirements and is requiring all cruise passengers that embark and disembark in Barbados to do "bubble tours".   

This does not apply to other sailings.     Please do not confused by Mikna's comments.

4 hours ago, catergirl said:

ok so i see on health email that as of now(nov and dec) the ports if you want to explore need ships excursions. my cruise isnt til march so not sure what to do.. maybe book theirs and cancel  if changes

That's a good plan, sou much is still in flux, March is actually quite far away. The other complaint people have had us that they waited too long to book excursions and got shut out 

19 hours ago, mikna said:

Of course no one was forcing us to get off of the boat, but why take a cruise to all of these beautiful islands but never get off?

Please read this sentence again: "We had to pay RCCL an extra $1200.00 just to get off the boat at ports." Thus, if you want to get off the ship you have to pay them the $. This isn't hard to understand. Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Because you are sailing from Barbados back to Barbados.

As per the other thread, the "bubble tour" requirement was instituted by BARBADOS.  So RCCL had to comply or not return to Barbados.

This change was made in late September or early October.

18 hours ago, mikna said:

How many times can I state it: The islands we visit allow us to debark a cruise ship to use local providers. Every single one. However RCCL doesn't.

The islands you visit do, but BARBADOS does not.

The actual document was linked to in your other thread and excerpts quoted.

BARBADOS requires all cruise ships that return to Barbados to only allow "bubble tours" for all port stops.

Sorry, I have not read all the postings here, but can someone give me the the "area" on RCCL website that STATES the protocol "NOW" of these ports (not about the shots, as we know what to do) of getting off the ship that have been mentioned, like St. Lucia, etc. ?