The Daily for Wednesday November 24, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Family Caregivers Day D.B. Cooper Day, and Celebrate Your Unique Talent Day

Macho does not prove mucho. - Zsa Zsa Gabor

Meal suggestion for today - Honey Glazed Scallops

Drink of the Day - Jagertee

Wine of the day - Paolo Scavino Barolo 2014

Destination of the Day - Denali National Park Alaska

Ships with Passengers

Amber Cove, Dominicana, Puerto Plata
Rotterdam 08:00 - 17:00

Cabo San Lucas MX
Koningsdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida
Eurodam 07:00 - 16:00

Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Nieuw Statendam 08:00 - 17:00

Saint Thomas Island, Charlotte
Nieuw Amsterdam 08:00 - 16:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Caribbean
Noordam Destination Great Stirrup Cay eta today

At Sea Pacific
Zuiderdam Destination Long Beach CA US eta 10/24

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Westerdam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

1124NAmerica.thumb.png.1b6d1e894193769ae4d01893f7c5d4d7.png

1124Europe.thumb.png.8f8284170d62be12053f6bb69befeb1e.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 13

Good morning and thank you for the Daily Report.  Happy Hump Day!

An interesting collection of days.  A big thank you to family caregivers.  I think everyone has a talent, sometimes it takes a while to find it.  Not sure I can salute DB Cooper.

Love the quote!

The dinner suggestion sounds great, looking forward to seeing the recipe.  I don't have any scallops in the freezer, so I'll save that recipe for another day.  I'm sure the drink and wine are great too.

@Vict0riannHappy Anniversary! 🥂

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Thanksgiving Eve (Hump Day outside the US) Daily, Rich.  A special salute to Family Caregivers.  Coopering was a unique talent that's probably pretty close to a lost art these days.  I like the Gabor quote but will pass on the Scallops.  I love Denali.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Seasick Sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
Fritz over the rainbow bridge
NW and BC flooding, mudslides, and people trapped between closures with diminishing supplies
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice
SrLouisCruisers friend John with end stage melanoma
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOHL results
Waukesha
cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo but at least back home
Strenght for Mamaofami
From the rotation:
NextOne  DDIL with long haul Covid
57re-dbird DH awaiting November 29 prostate surgery
JazzyV’s best friends MOHS surgery on Nov. 30th
Grapau27 awaiting MOHS surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

59 years for Ann and Pat
A final cruise for kakalina
5 BHB with passengers
7 days for Lunanken and Rotterdam
Welcome home RWSBADGER and NCTribefan
Hearing from Norseh20 and Overhead Fred
Front Line Health Care Workers
Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 12/12,   Overhead Fred & Cruise Suzy(NA). Jimgev (NS),  and Norseh20 at sea (Oceania Marina to 12/1)
Live reports from Cruise Suzy
Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female staff captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 11

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion and I have no idea what’s for dinner tonight.  It was nice watching the Eurodam sail into port this morning, hopefully I can watch it sail away.  
I took advantage of the Black Friday promotion and booked a cruise for November 2022 and March 2023.  With only a $99 deposit and all the perks it felt like the right thing to do.  It’s good to have something to look forward to doing.

Wishing  everyone who is traveling today a safe journey.

• Like 30

Good Morning from a cool but sunny day at the beach.

At least the wind has calmed down and it is suppose to reach 70 this afternoon. 

A big salute to family caregivers. I know firsthand the love and sacrifice that it involves. Dont think I have any talents, unique or otherwise.

We were at Denali with HAL back in 2001. It is hard to describe, it is so majestic. 

Busy day here today. Not sure if I will be doing water aerobics, even though the pool is heated, it could be a bit too chilly when you get out. I know I am a weather whimp!

I booked a cruise yesterday- round trip from Boston. Maine, Canada, Greenland and Iceland. It was not on Black Friday list but booked anyway. Because I need the full HC cabin for DD, have to book early. Now if Australia opens up for my Fall of 2022 trip all will be well!

@Vict0riann A very Happy Anniversary to you .

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Today's sunrise is from an interlude between 2011 cruises on Crystal Symphony and MS Prinsendam.  On November 24 I went up to the 17th street bridge to watch the ships come into Port Everglades and also caught the sunrise.

dawn1124.jpg

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Hump Day smile 😃 

Blessed are all family caregivers ❤️ Everyone has a unique talent to celebrate 😉 

44FA6DCB-DFAB-4413-B7F9-2849C42FA2E5.jpeg.78f4445a762f0b6de23bf1611bdd7514.jpeg

Love the Gabor quote & the meal suggestion. Dinner will be DH’s choice since he’s a year older today 😉  Looking forward to hearing about the wine.  Great to hear that  @Crazy For Catsand @cunnorlhave cruises booked!  

@Vict0riann a very happy anniversary to you and Pat!

94FF1E0A-2530-4B38-B53A-580BBFA81924.thumb.jpeg.0b4dcdfe2721523793d24814b9d130b5.jpeg

Is the flooding never going to stop?  Now, poor Nova Scotia is getting really hammered 😞 Cabot Trail is closed, Cape Breton Island is in a state of emergency as well as other areas in Nova Scotia.  And, it looks like Newfoundland is really going to get pummelled 😢  And of course, another major rain system is headed to B.C.  OMG.  

I’m sure lots of our Daily-ites in the U.S. are getting prepped for the big day tomorrow.  Hope your turkeys are delicious.  If you are travelling today, wishing you all very safe ones.

B1FFF447-7C8B-4EEA-8AF9-A4AE0540F05F.thumb.jpeg.678d8b145b40eaf30057a8749fc45410.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list, those affected by floods & those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Wednesday everyone !!!!

84498E8B-FCB2-4C82-BF75-1575EFE307A2.thumb.jpeg.b1aadcb441bcd2def768bcd1959bcdb0.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 10

Good Morning all.  I was my fathers care giver the last year of his life.  But the commute was Atlanta to Tampa every two weeks.  for 3 days, then home, then back, then home....

Sometimes it does take a while to find your talent.  But all do have one.  Sometimes the talent we have isn't' the best talent to have...LOL.

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving, if you are cooking, I salute you.  If you are with family hug them tight, and if you are on your own, remember the good memories, and enjoy the day. 

• Like 28

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report Rich and lists Roy.  Caregivers deserve their day today.  I won’t be celebrating DB Cooper day.  My unique talent is this family’s travel planner and we flying to Minneapolis later this morning to celebrate Thanksgiving with family, go me.  Zsa Zsa has some great quotes and today’s is one of them.  The meal selection sounds very nice. We were in Denali in 2018, beautiful part of the world for sure. Prayers for all on today’s list and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today. 

AAEA2142-8232-4C10-AFF4-AC504C83B78A.jpeg

F69DF70E-20F6-4ACB-88A3-04C1BAB7556D.jpeg

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A wonderful combination of days!

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. Thinking of you today. Morning Dailyite family. A bit warmer today, but looks to be a lovely one. Early class. Meal sounds interesting. 

@Vict0riann -

Happy Anniversary to you & Pat!

🥂 Here’s to many more!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Paolo Scavino Barolo 2014

All released vintages of this wine share the same excellent ratings, so pick up what ever one you find. I found one online distributor for the 2014 vintage - for $49.99. I found several online distributors offering the 2017 vintage for $43.99.

Winemaker Notes

#88 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018 

This Barolo has a special value for our family and represents the history and tradition of blending different cru of Barolo. Our Barolo comes from the best plots of seven cru. The diversity of soils, exposure and altitude characterizes each of these small but very important terroir. Unifying these diversities, the Barolo offers harmony and complexity with an overall character of the zone.

JS93 James Suckling
A full and juicy red with a solid center palate of ripe fruit and chewy tannins. Medium- to full-bodied, round and rich. A lovely finish. Drink in 2020.
WE93 Wine Enthusiast
Aromas of darkskinned berry, French oak and a balsamic note emerge from the glass. The dense palate offers vanilla, roasted coffee bean, dried black cherry and oak-driven spice alongside assertive, rather astringent tannins. Drink after 2022.
WS93 Wine Spectator
This starts out with plenty of cherry, plum and orange peel flavors, offset by iron, eucalyptus and tobacco accents. The finish is rustic, with the tannins flexing their muscles, yet this comes together in the end. A wine for the long haul. Best from 2023 through 2040.
RP91 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
The 2014 Barolo represents a selection of fruit from seven individual vineyard parcels spread across Barolo's major townships. Fruit from those sites is vinified separately, and once each barrique is tasted, the final assembly is created. Barrels of wine that do not live up to the estate's quality standards are sold off as bulk wine. This is a beautiful wine that opens to cherry and blackberry flavors with elegant tones of crushed stone, smoke, licorice and tar. This is an excellent near or medium-term Barolo with accessible characteristics and lots of varietal purity.
W&S91 Wine & Spirits
Scavino’s classico Barolo blends fruit from three communes (Castiglione Falletto, Barolo and Serralunga d’Alba) to achieve a bright, cranberry-fruited Barolo. It would pair well with the soft gaminess of a roast turkey leg.
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, everyone!

@Vict0riann

3fd70c4469801cf6583758a9db429c76.jpg.cbe66c2a922cbc5df5743a4f2b0ecb5c.jpg

Celebrate!

Today is prep day.  We are making pies and stuffing/dressing.   That way tomorrow will be easy!

Today's meal looks really delicious.   I'll file this away for another time as I have beans soaking for soup tonight.  

This recipe can get us started.  https://bakerbynature.com/honey-glazed-scallops/

349237619_HoneyGlazedScallops.thumb.jpg.4e13e505632e43a99198ed83b35d454f.jpg

A little garlic makes everything better:   https://therecipecritic.com/scallops-recipe/

honey_garlic_butter_scallops-667x1000.thumb.jpg.c3957905634f9cfb9f86639c7e8a38c4.jpg

And, let's try this in brown butter!   https://rasamalaysia.com/brown-butter-honey-garlic-scallops/

brown-butter-honey-garlic-scallops3.thumb.jpg.cb8bf6371f3ccdb7c62f201e4c859f1a.jpg

And, wishing the happiest of birthday's to Jose, @kazu's DH.

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.fa4ee2b107626c22afd25b5abf054024.jpg

Congratulations to all who have booked new cruises with the Black Friday sale.  Wishing everyone a great day!

Edited by dfish
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Family caregivers are true heroes; many on this board know they fit into this category.  I'm not sure why an airplane hijacker would get his own day . . . not going to celebrate that one.  We all have unique talents; I can wiggle my ears.  My dad could wiggle the tip of his nose like a bunny rabbit.  Zha Zha really had it going on, didn't she?

First of all, Happy Anniversary to @Vict0riann and your DH; may you have many more wonderful years together!

And a Happy Birthday to @kazu's DH Jose - with many happy returns of the day!

It's a chilly morning here on the "frozen tundra" where we currently have a wind chill temperature of -23.  Thankfully we don't have to get groceries or have any appointments, so we can stay indoors and keep warm.  I think today is a good day to bring out the Christmas cards and get them started.  It's amazing when I look at the address book to see how many in there are no longer with us.  We truly have to appreciate every day and live it fully.

Honey glazed scallops sound great, but we don't have any scallops - what we do have is chicken wings that can be cooked in the air fryer and tossed in a honey/ginger/garlic sauce after.  Served with crudities (and a few wet wipes),  will make for a finger food type of dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay well, wash your hands, be well, and don't forget to thaw the turkey!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 31

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

My mother and sisters were the caregivers for my father before he passed. My SIL is my brother's primary caregiver. He was diagnosed with Parkinson's nearly 20 years ago and due to the Pandemic, I haven't seen him in almost two years. Our plan is to drive to see them after the holidays.

We have been waiting to book our 2023 cruises for after we board the Koningsdam in 1-1/2 weeks. That way we could take advantage of the low deposit amount required. But instead we have decided to go ahead with the Black Friday sale. Now just waiting for our PCC to return my call.

I try to vary locales for our cruises. Like everyone else the Pandemic has affected our planning. Our preferred choice over the last few weeks would change by the day! This go-round we have considered the South America to Ft Lauderdale cruise on the Oosterdam or Japan North Crossing on the Westerdam. Given the  unpredictable situations presented with COVID, we have decided to shelve them for now.

Our 2020 cruise to the British Isles that was cancelled due to the Pandemic was to be on the retired Rotterdam. It has always been on the to-do list. So our initial consideration was the Transatlantic and British Isles on the Zuiderdam. But then thrown into the mix was the possibility of a Fred Olsen cruise to Scotland aboard the Bolette (ex-Amsterdam) or the British Isles including the Faroe Islands aboard the Arcadia with P&O UK combined with a HAL cruise. 

Our decision is: one of the Norse Legend cruises aboard the Rotterdam that calls on Geiranger followed by the British Isles aboard the Zuiderdam. We will have one day between cruises and Sue has agreed to stay aboard the SS Rotterdam the one night.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 26

27 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I'm not sure why an airplane hijacker would get his own day . . . not going to celebrate that one.

The anniversary of the day is informally known as D.B. Cooper Day, but there has long been an official D.B. Cooper Day—or D.B. Cooper Days—in Ariel, Washington, the location where Cooper is believed to have jumped. Specifically, an event has been held at Dona's Ariel Store Pub for many years. (The pub closed after Dona's passing, but as of 2019 it was being remodeled with plans to reopen.) Food, beer, and music have been enjoyed, a costume contest for the best D.B. Cooper lookalike has been held, and toasts have been made to the antihero.

The story of D.B. Cooper has inspired numerous songs, books, and films. He has become a folk hero to some but is remembered as a criminal by others. No matter how Cooper is viewed, his story continues to be recounted, and his identity continues to be debated, many decades after he disappeared into the night sky.

https://www.checkiday.com/ea9018d5df8c5d74dd211d5d44ac32f1/d-b-cooper-day

• Like 22
  • Thanks 8

Good morning  everyone. First,a very Happy Birthday  to @kazu's DH,Jose.

and Happy  Anniversary to @Vict0riann and her DH.

My DH and I are off to get our booster shots today.I already made dinner to reheat later.The recipe looks good but will be saved for another day.

We did not get to Denali on our 2 trips to Alaska but look forward to pictures.

Terry

• Like 21

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Hump Day smile 😃 

Blessed are all family caregivers ❤️ Everyone has a unique talent to celebrate 😉 

44FA6DCB-DFAB-4413-B7F9-2849C42FA2E5.jpeg.78f4445a762f0b6de23bf1611bdd7514.jpeg

Love the Gabor quote & the meal suggestion. Dinner will be DH’s choice since he’s a year older today 😉  Looking forward to hearing about the wine.  Great to hear that  @Crazy For Catsand @cunnorlhave cruises booked!  

@Vict0riann a very happy anniversary to you and Pat!

94FF1E0A-2530-4B38-B53A-580BBFA81924.thumb.jpeg.0b4dcdfe2721523793d24814b9d130b5.jpeg

Is the flooding never going to stop?  Now, poor Nova Scotia is getting really hammered 😞 Cabot Trail is closed, Cape Breton Island is in a state of emergency as well as other areas in Nova Scotia.  And, it looks like Newfoundland is really going to get pummelled 😢  And of course, another major rain system is headed to B.C.  OMG.  

I’m sure lots of our Daily-ites in the U.S. are getting prepped for the big day tomorrow.  Hope your turkeys are delicious.  If you are travelling today, wishing you all very safe ones.

B1FFF447-7C8B-4EEA-8AF9-A4AE0540F05F.thumb.jpeg.678d8b145b40eaf30057a8749fc45410.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list, those affected by floods & those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Wednesday everyone !!!!

84498E8B-FCB2-4C82-BF75-1575EFE307A2.thumb.jpeg.b1aadcb441bcd2def768bcd1959bcdb0.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

Love these memes.

Happy birthday to your husband Jacqui.

Screenshot_20211028_164408.jpg

• Like 20

Good morning everyone. Nice collection of days. We certainly know about care givers although I can’t celebrate all of them. 
We had some exciting news last night. Two of our grandsons will be here for Thanksgiving day but two others will be with their other grandparents. The two that will be here are sleeping over and all four will be here on Friday. We haven’t seen the two college guys since August and all four haven’t been together since June of 2019. We will be missing one that lives and works in LA but he will be here in December.

PT is killing me because I’m using muscles that haven’t been used in a while. I come home and ice everything.

At this moment, 8:30, it’s 29 degrees and I’m really missing Florida. Maybe next year.

Stay safe everyone, especially those traveling for Thanksgiving.

Carol

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1