Beware CVS for Covid test

bonship

We are sailing Sunday out of Fort Lauderdale and had Covid tests scheduled for Friday for us and traveling companions at CVS.  I scheduled them about 10 days ago just to be on the safe side.  They cancelled all four of our tests via email this morning with no explanation, and there were none available at any CVS within 50 miles.  We finally found appointments at a Walgreens that will work.  The same thing happened to friends of ours using CVS a couple of months ago.  Have a backup plan if using CVS or just go to Walgreens.  Fingers crossed.

5 minutes ago, bonship said:

We are sailing Sunday out of Fort Lauderdale and had Covid tests scheduled for Friday for us and traveling companions at CVS.  I scheduled them about 10 days ago just to be on the safe side.  They cancelled all four of our tests via email this morning with no explanation, and there were none available at any CVS within 50 miles.  We finally found appointments at a Walgreens that will work.  The same thing happened to friends of ours using CVS a couple of months ago.  Have a backup plan if using CVS or just go to Walgreens.  Fingers crossed.

We have tests scheduled at CVS for Sunday here locally.  Where is the CVS that cancelled yours?  Ft. Lauderdale?

Our friends booked their test at a CVS in Cleveland.  The test was taken at 10:20 am on Saturday and the results were not received until 9 am TUESDAY.  They were denied boarding on A/C at 3:20 Monday and ended up renting a car and driving to Toronto.  Since the results were still not available when they were crossing the land border they were told to quarantine immediately and given tests to perform at home while they were on the phone with health professionals.  They had the tests picked up by Purolator and must continue to quarantine until they receive their results. Turned out to be a very stressful and expensive 4 day trip for a wedding.

Wife and I have each had 8 antigen tests completed at our local CVS without a single issue. 
In each case our test results were emailed and texted to each of us always within 2 hours. Usually in less than an hour. 
YMMV
That said, I have 6 proctored home tests still in their original unopened boxes right next to my desk. Just in case. 
We will happily continue using CVS. Unless they fail us. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bonship said:

Our CVS here in southwestern Ohio has been pretty reliable.  All the same, yes I do have a backup appt scheduled. We generally have pretty good availability here a few days out. 

When we went to get our test at Personic Health in Fort Lauderdale, we pulled up and they said they ran out of tests. Have a backup plan. Explanation was they had many walk ins. Why they didn’t save some tests for the people with appointments, who knows. Living in Fort Lauderdale we have many options to we went to another parking lot test sight and got our test. 

My sister's CVS test was canceled in Sacramento, CA. By the time they emailed her, the next closest one in Walnut Creek was full so she drove 100 miles to the San Francisco CVS for her test. We've been using the Walnut Creek, CA CVS with no problems so far. I book as soon as possible to make sure I get an appointment within the required 2 day timeframe. Fingers crossed our luck holds up for our next cruise in January.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Wife and I have each had 8 antigen tests completed at our local CVS without a single issue. 
In each case our test results were emailed and texted to each of us always within 2 hours. Usually in less than an hour. 
YMMV
That said, I have 6 proctored home tests still in their original unopened boxes right next to my desk. Just in case. 
We will happily continue using CVS. Unless they fail us. 

Was that the free test or paid quick response test?  Thanks!

58 minutes ago, emerald777 said:

Was that the free test or paid quick response test?  Thanks!

Not sure if I completely understand your question. 

Antigen tests are the only ones we've ever done at CVS. Going through the online "fill in the blanks" to get to the part where an schedule appointment can be scheduled, various qualifying questions are asked. Insurance information is also required. Presumably, if one has insurance, that carrier is billed. If not, then Uncle Sugar is billed. Either way, the antigen test is zero cost to the customer. 

I expect the same is true for the PCR test but this only supposition on my part as we never taken a PCR test at CVS. 

If I've misunderstood your question, please ask again. 

Antigen test is also free-to-me at Stat Med in Concord. So I booked a back up to the Walnut Creek CVS test. Just looked and they've doubled the time slots in December.  Hope they have enough tests (or can pull them from the shelves)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Not sure if I completely understand your question. 

Antigen tests are the only ones we've ever done at CVS. Going through the online "fill in the blanks" to get to the part where an schedule appointment can be scheduled, various qualifying questions are asked. Insurance information is also required. Presumably, if one has insurance, that carrier is billed. If not, then Uncle Sugar is billed. Either way, the antigen test is zero cost to the customer. 

I expect the same is true for the PCR test but this only supposition on my part as we never taken a PCR test at CVS. 

If I've misunderstood your question, please ask again. 

Here in Vegas, if you pick the PCR test it is free, but turnaround is 1-3 days.  But if you want the rapid response antigen test (15-30 min result time), they charge you @$130.00.  Just wondering if those of you who reported getting your results so quickly (15-60 min) paid or got the test for free?  

2 hours ago, emerald777 said:

Here in Vegas, if you pick the PCR test it is free, but turnaround is 1-3 days.  But if you want the rapid response antigen test (15-30 min result time), they charge you @$130.00.  Just wondering if those of you who reported getting your results so quickly (15-60 min) paid or got the test for free?  

I can’t speak to how testing is handled in NV, only what we’ve experienced here in TX. 
As I’ve said, the antigen (rapid) tests we’ve taken here have been done with no out of pocket to us. 
Maybe others from NV can offer their experiences. 

• Like 1

CVS in so cal was free.  CVS in so cal used to offer appointments 10 days out. CVS in so cal had rapid antigen and rapid PCR tests (I’ve taken both).  Now it is impossible to book in my area.  I was told no tests without appointments.  No problem, can’t make appointments.