Condition of Infinity

Iriel

Hi, cruisers!

I'm thinking of booking the Antarctica cruise, but I read a lot of reviews about Infinity malfunctioning and missing some ports, so I'm worried. I'd like to ask if anyone knows about the current state of the ship? Has it been renovated lately?

3 hours ago, Iriel said:

Hi, cruisers!

I'm thinking of booking the Antarctica cruise, but I read a lot of reviews about Infinity malfunctioning and missing some ports, so I'm worried. I'd like to ask if anyone knows about the current state of the ship? Has it been renovated lately?

Mailfunctioning and missing some ports? Where do you find such nonsense? She has not been sailing for 1.5 years and remains out of service until next May. She just went to dry dock for technical renovation.

5 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Mailfunctioning and missing some ports? Where do you find such nonsense? She has not been sailing for 1.5 years and remains out of service until next May. She just went to dry dock for technical renovation.

Well, I found it here in Cruise Critic, it had many issues in 2018. So I guess it makes sense that it went to dry dock. Thank you for the information.

• Like 1

Infinity has often missed ports on its Antarctic cruises.  The missed ports in the past usually were a result of weather.  The Falkland Islands are missed on almost 50% cruises - all ships.  Also there were political issues from about 2010 for several years that caused ports to be missed.  The problem was Argentina and their claim to the Falklands - Malvinas.

5 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Do you know any more about this technical renovation?

27 minutes ago, Iriel said:

Well, I found it here in Cruise Critic, it had many issues in 2018. So I guess it makes sense that it went to dry dock. Thank you for the information.

If you have specific posts that you can quote then we can discuss.

22 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

She just went to dry dock for technical renovation.

When was this?  Would nominally have been performed in Cadiz, and Infinity has been pooping around S. of Greece for ages.  Constellation made dry dock in Cadiz in July '21.  Besides mechanical work, there was a whole warehouse full of soft goods that were about to be installed as part of Constellation's "Revolution" before the COVID shutdown, but although the revolution didn't happen (which was fine by us - not a Kelly Hoppen fan), we were delighted that all carpet/drapes & etc were replaced during dry dock.

As Infinity's revolution was to occur later, it is not clear whether or not those goods are already paid for and warehoused as was the case for Constellation.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 4:01 PM, Iriel said:

Well if it’s on CC, got to be fact.

• Haha 2

On 11/25/2021 at 6:50 PM, Saab4444 said:

Infinity is not in dry dock

• Like 1

I don't think they intended to say the ship was still in dry dock.   It went in earlier this year (prior to Constellation) for about 3 weeks for hull and mechanical maintenance.  The ship is still out of service and is positioned around Greece.

20 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Hopefully Celebrity bought in bulk since both ships were to be redone identically.

Guess we won’t know for sure until she resumes ops next Spring.

Constellation was due April 2020, right after the March 2020 shutdown, hence availability of soft goods already paid for and warehoused for a proper 'interior refresh' during the July 2021 dry dock, which was very successful.

Infinity wasn't due until October/November 2020.  No reason to think that the soft goods for Infinity were already warehoused anywhere when the shutdown occurred in March 2020.  If not already purchased and in inventory, certainly unlikely to have been available during the Infinity dry dock in February '21 due to cost constraints.

I’m thinking of booking the Infinity also for Antarctica in Feb. 2023. I won’t worry about it as I’m sure it won’t sail if there are major issues and hopefully they  will replace it with another ship if it doesn’t get to sail.

1 hour ago, gizmodog said:

I’m thinking of booking the Infinity also for Antarctica in Feb. 2023. I won’t worry about it as I’m sure it won’t sail if there are major issues and hopefully they  will replace it with another ship if it doesn’t get to sail.

Don't be too sure that they can replace the Infinity on short notice. Ships doing drive by sailing of Antarctica have to meet the relevant Polar Ice codes, which include having the hull strengthened to support possible ice floe collisions. There are a whole other raft of requirements for ships sailing either north or south of the 60 degree mark. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 10:19 AM, Iriel said:

Hi, cruisers!

I read this very quickly and though you wrote "missing some parts". That would be very concerning.