Are port taxes refunded?

jeno

We all know that those of us on these first cruises on the Riviera and Marina needed to be willing to go with the flow as far as ports being cancelled and replaced. I am surprised we didn’t get a refund of taxes from LaPalma when it was cancelled the night before arrival and nothing replaced that port.  I know I’ve had port taxes refunded from other lines and wondered if no refund has always been an Oceania policy.  I know it’s basically no money in the big picture, I just find it surprising. 

Just now, jeno said:

We all know that those of us on these first cruises on the Riviera and Marina needed to be willing to go with the flow as far as ports being cancelled and replaced. I am surprised we didn’t get a refund of taxes from LaPalma when it was cancelled the night before arrival and nothing replaced that port.  I know I’ve had port taxes refunded from other lines and wondered if no refund has always been an Oceania policy.  I know it’s basically no money in the big picture, I just find it surprising. 

Unlike other cruise lines, Oceania does not have a separate charge for port taxes.  They are part of the total cruise price and not a separate line item.

Though your TA’s version of your O invoice does disaggregate the fare components (in order to compute the commission), the “fare” you are charged is inclusive of port taxes, which are not refundable. The fare is the fare.

However, if you are an attentive-to-detail travel insurance buyer, you’ll have purchased cruise travel insurance that has coverage for “missed ports.” Of course, it may only pay out a total of a few hundred dollars max for all missed ports. And you will need to ask Guest Services onboard for a letter stating that the port(s) was missed and explaining why.

We’ve done this (I think it was a Nationwide cruise policy) and claimed/collected $250 on Nautica’s last cruise (with a number of ports missed/changed) in early 2020.

A. Not all invoices break it out, mine never has, it is the Oceania copy passed through from my TA. There is no other TA invoice. 

B. I'm pretty sure all this was decided in FL courts some years ago and it's all completely legal, no fraud involved. Now you may not like it, but it's legal because the fare has it rolled in with the initial advertised price. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ORV said:

A. Not all invoices break it out, mine never has, it is the Oceania copy passed through from my TA. There is no other TA invoice. 

B. I'm pretty sure all this was decided in FL courts some years ago and it's all completely legal, no fraud involved. Now you may not like it, but it's legal because the fare has it rolled in with the initial advertised price. 

Actually, there is a TA version of your Oceania passenger invoice (not to be confused with any invoice the TA prepares for you (e.g., showing their added perks). The Oceania TA version of your O invoice is sent to the TA along with your version of the invoice and the other docs included when you book. Generally (and as expected), the TA forwards all documents except for their invoice version (which includes the computation of their commission).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ORV said:

I remember when that happened many years ago 

People were up in arms because they wanted the "All IN price" shown & not the price  with taxes/fees added later

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Actually, there is a TA version of your Oceania passenger invoice (not to be confused with any invoice the TA prepares for you (e.g., showing their added perks). The Oceania TA version of your O invoice is sent to the TA along with your version of the invoice and the other docs included when you book. Generally (and as expected), the TA forwards all documents except for their invoice version (which includes the computation of their commission).

Yes, you are correct, but the customer rarely sees that invoice

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Yes Flatbush and Baser, I do believe that it is purposefully deceitful on some cruise lines, and Oceania in particular, in the specific case of not refunding guests for missed ports and/or both the misc Gov't fees and charges, and the missed opportunity of a unique ports and destinations that are highly promoted and marketed for specific departures. There should be a $ refund, FCC or OBCs when the Cruise Line modifies after the final payment date. 

Regarding Invoices and fees,  Oceania sends the "Agency Statement" as the Travel Agency Invoice to the Travel Agency of record.  It is formatted similar to the Guest Statement and it includes line-item detail, including "Non Commissionable Items" such as cruise discounts, Gov't Fees & Taxes, Air Allowance, and commission detailed dollar amounts and percentage. 

ORV and LHT28:  Yes there was a legal case years ago brought in part by the Atty Gen of Florida regarding this issue as well. Cruise lines were required to change language in pricing, advertising, and billing to change, delete, or modify "Port Charges" to  Government Fees and Taxes as they were lumping administrative fees/markups, etc. under the guise of Port Charges. 

On our last cruise, Sirena March 2020, we missed all but 2 of our ports.  Oceania refused to refund port charges. When contacted, they claimed that they don’t charge them.     Sounded odd.  I was annoyed.  Since the port charges are not much, I just let it go.  On other cruise lines, we have received refund of port charges and gov fees when ports were canceled.  

1 hour ago, Jockocruiser said:

..... I do believe that it is purposefully deceitful on some cruise lines, and Oceania in particular, in the specific case of not refunding guests for missed ports and/or both the misc Gov't fees and charges, and the missed opportunity of a unique ports and destinations that are highly promoted and marketed for specific departures. There should be a $ refund, FCC or OBCs when the Cruise Line modifies after the final payment date. 

Someone needs to read their Ticket Contract which is very clear.
By purchasing the cruise, you agreed to go wherever the ship needs to go (or not go) for the safety of passengers, crew and the ship itself:

10. CARRIER’S RIGHTS
The Ship, either before embarkation or at any time thereafter and whether or not required by any maritime necessity, may remain in port, proceed by any route and deviate from or change the advertised scheduled or intended route at any stage of the voyage and may proceed to and stay at any places whatsoever, although in a contrary direction to, or outside of, or beyond the usual route, one or more times, in any order, ....for any purpose whatsoever that We, as Carrier, or the Master may deem advisable. Any such procedure shall be considered not to be a deviation but within the voyage herein intended as fully as if specifically described herein......

And then, of course, their are the T&Cs to which you agreed by making your cruise deposit:

Itinerary  
All itineraries, including points of embarkation and debarkation, are at the discretion of Oceania Cruises and may be modified up to and during the voyage. Oceania Cruises reserves the right to amend, cancel or make substitutions for any travel component without prior notice to the guest, including hotels, ports of call or other modes of transportation if, in its opinion, the situation requires a change or cancellation of arrangements. Oceania Cruises does not assume responsibility or liability for any loss, inconvenience, or expense incurred by guests as a result of any changes or cancellations as detailed in the Guest Ticket/Contract. When practicable, Oceania Cruises will promptly notify guests or their Travel Agent of a cruise itinerary change.....

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1