NCL should let us cancel cruises with no penalties due to the new variant

CruizinKittie40

This new strain has a lot of folks worried.  I will be going on my Dec 5th cruise from Los Angeles because of the Covid testing NCL does before embarkation.  I feel comfortable that all passengers will be Covid free and I can only hope the crew will be too.  However, even though masks aren't required, I will be wearing one anytime I will be in close proximity to other people, especially the elevators.  Hand washing and sanitizers will be the rule of the day for me.

• Like 6

It will be a while before they know how bad omicron is, they are worried but it remains unknown.

Governments worldwide are waiting to find out how serious omicron really is, now is not be the time for NCL to change policy.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion but I wish we could! I would be fine with FCC instead of a full refund.  I have a cruise booked for Dec 18 and am very nervous about traveling now.  ugh!

This is a great example of why you need travel insurance. 

We're on the Epic in 6 days.  They dropped a port and added another sea day.  They also cut some entertainment.   We're thinking of canceling today and booking an Oceania cruise instead.   We have cancel for any reason insurance so we're able to be flexible. 

I wouldn't have spent the additional money for the "any reason " insurance but until the world is completely normal,  everyone should. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, Yesimapirate said:

This is a great example of why you need travel insurance. 

We're on the Epic in 6 days.  They dropped a port and added another sea day.  They also cut some entertainment.   We're thinking of canceling today and booking an Oceania cruise instead.   We have cancel for any reason insurance so we're able to be flexible. 

I wouldn't have spent the additional money for the "any reason " insurance but until the world is completely normal,  everyone should. 

I do have travel insurance but I don't feel like I should also lose the money I paid for travel insurance

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

If you're on a fully vaccinated ship with passengers who were recently tested, then that's safer than staying home and going to the grocery store.

You can't expect a business (yes, NCL is a business) to keep offering refunds to anyone who gets cold feet.

Traveling during a pandemic always carries some level of risk, but a Norwegian cruise is as safe as you can make it.

If you don't want to lose any money, keep it in the bank.

• Like 39
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, craig01020 said:

If you're on a fully vaccinated ship with passengers who were recently tested, then that's safer than staying home and going to the grocery store.

You can't expect a business (yes, NCL is a business) to keep offering refunds to anyone who gets cold feet.

Traveling during a pandemic always carries some level of risk, but a Norwegian cruise is as safe as you can make it.

If you don't want to lose any money, keep it in the bank.

Totally agree!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, craig01020 said:

I don't agree that Norwegian are making it as safe as they could after all they have no masks required and no social distancing

56 minutes ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

I do have travel insurance but I don't feel like I should also lose the money I paid for travel insurance

You lost the amount you spent of travel insurance the day you bought it, but in this case only cancel for any reason insurance, which is more expensive and doesn’t refund it all, would work in this case.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

I don't agree that Norwegian are making it as safe as they could after all they have no masks required and no social distancing

You can wear a mask if you wish. Nobody is stopping you from doing so.  If you have anxiety over sickness, it should not warrant the mandate to other passengers who are comfortable without a mask to wear one so you feel safer. 

• Like 19

5 minutes ago, KAYKAY121 said:

You can wear a mask if you wish. Nobody is stopping you from doing so.  If you have anxiety over sickness, it should not warrant the mandate to other passengers who are comfortable without a mask to wear one so you feel safer. 

You wear a mask to protect others not yourself so if I wear a mask I am protecting fellow passengers not myself, how would that alleviate my fears?  Incidentally I am not worried I simply stated that NCL is not making it as safe as they could

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

You lost the amount you spent of travel insurance the day you bought it, but in this case only cancel for any reason insurance, which is more expensive and doesn’t refund it all, would work in this case.

If NCL cancels the cruise I should get a refund for my travel insurance as well as it is through them

Edited by CruizinKittie40
  • Like 1

Just now, SpainAlien said:

You wear a mask to protect others not yourself so if I wear a mask I am protecting fellow passengers not myself, how would that alleviate my fears?  Incidentally I am not worried I simply stated that NCL is not making it as safe as they could

I am simply stating that I disagree with you. 

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

Poster is right.  If NCL was really making it as safe as they could they would require you to stay at home and stay in your own room and never interact with anyone.  And keep your mask on at all times while in your room, at home, alone.

I will be living on the edge and getting out, travelling, visiting my loved ones, going to weddings, holiday parties, flying, cruising.

• Like 20
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

Just curious. What would you like to see or suggest NCL do to make things safer?

3 minutes ago, Goldconnection said:

Just curious. What would you like to see or suggest NCL do to make things safer?

The same as they did in Europe.

I am not saying I would like to see them do it but they COULD insist on mask wearing and social distancing like they did in Europe, that would make it safer.

As I said before, I am fine with it as it is BUT it could be safer

9 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

I am not saying I would like to see them do it but they COULD insist on mask wearing and social distancing like they did in Europe, that would make it safer.

Disagree.

I believe in science.

If the ship is 100% vaccinated and everyone has tested negative, then it is as safe as it needs to be.

Masks and social distancing should not be required in this situation, but anyone who chooses to mask and distance should have at it if it makes them feel better.

• Like 16

39 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

Grocery stores in San Diego do not require masks if you are vaccinated.  And social distancing,  what has happened to the six foot rule?.  Are we safe buying food?  I will be safer on a fully vaccinated cruise ship.  Back on the Bliss in two weeks.✌️

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

If wearing a mask and social distancing makes you feel comfortable then by all means wear your mask and practice social distancing. We will do whatever we feel we need to do to keep us safe. We will not leave that up to NCL. Happy and safe sailing.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

Grocery stores in San Diego do not require masks if you are vaccinated.  And social distancing,  what has happened to the six foot rule?.  Are we safe buying food?  I will be safer on a fully vaccinated cruise ship.  Back on the Bliss in two weeks.✌️

Certainly, safer than society but not "as safe as NCL could make it" which is what craig01020 stated.

We are all 100% vaccinated but we all know we can still catch and transmit the virus just hopefully we will not be hospitalised or die.  The test is a snapshot in time, it doesn't guarantee that you are virus free throughout your cruise.

As I said before I am happy with it as it is but could it be safer? Yes

Edited by SpainAlien
  • Like 2

Why would anyone book a cruise or any kind of travel if new variants are going to cause them to not want to go?  This is exactly what ALL viruses do - they mutate. That's why they can't cure the common cold (also a Covid virus), flu, pneumonia, bronchitis...because the strains are constantly changing/mutating. Deep down you KNOW that.

You know when you book a cruise that you will be in close quarters with thousands of people who have traveled from all over the world to get to the ship. You also know you'll be stopping in several countries where people from all over the world have traveled to, either by land or by sea, bringing a cornucopia of infectious bugs and viruses with them that you will be exposed to.

Enough. If you are still fearful, please stay home, wear your mask, take as many jabs as the billion dollar pharmaceutical companies tell you to.  Stop asking corporations to give you money back because you are afraid of a variant that you KNEW would come. Stop booking trips in the middle of a pandemic if you aren't willing to accept the risks of traveling during a pandemic.  We all KNOW viruses mutate.  We have to live WITH Covid-19. It's not ever going away.  So book your travel and have fun, but please stay home if you are expecting companies or fellow passengers to cowtow to your fear.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1