NCL should let us cancel cruises with no penalties due to the new variant

CruizinKittie40

Funny this is here today and I am having an issue with this.  My son's GF is very concerned now and is hesitant to go on our January cruise.  I paid for it as their Christmas present and since its only a 3nt cruise I declined the insurance.   Does anyone know of a company that will insure a trip after final payment in case she decides to bail?  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

This is more of the people who have stuck their heads in the sand for the last two years… ‘NCL says they will sail in august’, ‘ no, really, my pvp knows everything and we will be sailing in September’, ‘the vaccine rules expire in December’, etc

... "everyone onboard is vaccinated"

Edited by BermudaBound2014

8 minutes ago, dad son team said:

Funny this is here today and I am having an issue with this.  My son's GF is very concerned now and is hesitant to go on our January cruise.  I paid for it as their Christmas present and since its only a 3nt cruise I declined the insurance.   Does anyone know of a company that will insure a trip after final payment in case she decides to bail?  

there are lots of companies that will insure after final payment. But if she just ‘decides to bail’ You willl need cancel for any reason insurance. That has to be bought within 1-2 weeks of originally booking the trip.

Edited by sanger727

Nearly 2 years before most of the world recognized the global pandemic of this generation was upon us ... the cruise industry, like others, has been to the foothills of hell and doing nearly all they can to recover, get back to the new normal - ships began sailing again and crew members returning onboard.  IMHO, anyone booking a cruise these days should and need to take some personal responsibilities, assume due diligence and understood the risks involved to be prepared for it.  It's sort of like playing the slot machines and/or table games, place your bets, buy insurance to cover your (partial) losses if you are given the option to pull back, and then move forward.  Hence, I disagree with the saying that NCL should let anyone booked to cancel with no penalty and no question asks, regardless. 

Sorry to disagree with some - we have a cruise booked coming up soon, knowing that a winter surge from Delta or whatever variant could reset the goal posts again, we have trip insurance for our "investment" but still in that window to cancel without any penalty.   With all the infection control and detection measures in place, I feel pretty comfortable to not worry about other viruses being around, not absolutely but nasty things like norovirus outbreak onboard should be less of a problem, hopefully.  We will be packing our EDC bag with enough PPE, especially 3-ply masks and some KN95 and KF94 masks, hand sanitizers and surface wipes to use as we see fit ... those aren't banned or required, optional measures that we can choose to deploy or implement as extra protective measures. 

NCL is probably one of the best cruise lines to sail with its proactive steps, aligned with CDC and WHO guidance, and common sense best practices, proven to work in the medical & healthcare sectors ... not absolute foolproof but with a high degree of confidence.  The rest is up to us, faith and a little bit of luck ... a prayer won't hurt either.  Breakthrough infections have and will happen to some, most had mild to moderate symptoms that can be treated - even if you casually wear a N95 most of the time, the average person aren't properly fit tested for using the properly sized respirator and not trained on how to put on, remove & properly dispose of ... red bag the soiled items safely. 

And, I quote here"Your best protection against (insert/replace with name of next/new variant ... as you wish) Delta is to get vaccinated, and if you've already been vaccinated and six months have passed since you got Pfizer or Moderna, get your booster, two months since J&J, get your booster,"  This is valid and true for the new and next variant.  But, if someone is going to cheat and fake it, or simply don't believe in doing some, any and all of these measures - then ...  one is rolling the dices.  

Happy planning, stay healthy and safe cruising ... ours coming up soon.  If one isn't comfortable, then cancel it outside the 61 days+ payment deadline set and extended by NCL thru next April's sailings - as an insured cruiser.    

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

On 11/29/2021 at 8:43 AM, SpainAlien said:

The same as they did in Europe.

I am not saying I would like to see them do it but they COULD insist on mask wearing and social distancing like they did in Europe, that would make it safer.

As I said before, I am fine with it as it is BUT it could be safer

There policy of not wearing a mask is why I’m giving them a try. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bstel said:

I hope this is a typo on your part.  if you are wearing a N95 or equivalent you are definitely also protecting others.

Sometimes it would be better to read again before hitting the "submit" button,especially when its late(it was after midnight local time)

You are right of course.

2 hours ago, dawgdawg said:

Several countries are shutting their borders in response to the Omicron variant.  What happens if this trend continues?

The past 20 months have showed that closing borders does not help at all to avoid the new variant spreading around. At the time the borders are closed the virus has already arrived at most countries.

When you detect the first case in your countries there are already hundreds or thousands of others infected which you don`t know at that time.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

It's absolutely fine.  Just temper one's concerns with some common sense and personal responsibility.

Exactly.  OP was on here asking for a refund before even the experts know what Omicron is about.  Is it more transmissible but less lethal?  Maybe.  But the strain has been studied for only a couple weeks; there are not a lot of cases (yet) and there are still a lot of unknowns.

Turn off the cable news channels that are filling hours of content with little more than conjecture.

19 minutes ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

Exactly my point

There are always unknowns.  You want full refund every time there is some new unknown, even after full payment, a few days before sailing?  There will always be new variants and new unknowns.  You knew that.  Should everyone be allowed full refunds every time some new variant, some news, some unknowns, comes up?  Can any business run this way? 

BTW, we're sailing in a few days, Dec. 5.  We know there are risks and unknowns, and changing rules (Canada just announced new rules, and many countries, and new changes will continue to come).  We bought medical insurance.  We know we can lose a lot if things go bad.  We took the risk.  We did not ask NCL for something unreasonable.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

Exactly my point

So, there might be a terrorist attack between now and when we sail.  I can't say for sure if it would happen, or if it might affect us, but it's possible.  Should we get a refund because of that possibility?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

What part of this article leads you to believe it will effect NCL cruises departing from the USA? 

17 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

What part of this article leads you to believe it will effect NCL cruises departing from the USA? 

It doesn’t necessarily have to. There are lots of us, including myself that are travelling from out of country to cruise this winter. If the institute a 7 day quarantine on arrival, 90% of us will have to cancel our vacations. 

Just now, Chad101 said:

It doesn’t necessarily have to. There are lots of us, including myself that are travelling from out of country to cruise this winter. If the institute a 7 day quarantine on arrival, 90% of us will have to cancel our vacations. 

I agree, this will effect international travelers but I thought the OP was from the USA (I could very well be wrong on that).

FWIT, the article reads like fear mongering to me. Since Jeff Bezos bought the Washington Post I don't give it much creditability as he has much to gain personally from an article like this. Let's wait and see how much of this article actually comes to fruition. 

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I agree, this will effect international travelers but I thought the OP was from the USA (I could very well be wrong on that).

FWIT, the article reads like fear mongering to me. Since Jeff Bezos bought the Washington Post I don't give it much creditability as he has much to gain personally from an article like this. Let's wait and see how much of this article actually comes to fruition. 

I would 100% agree that it’s fear mongering at this point, no one will know anything about the variant for awhile yet. I do hope they don’t institute the quarantine as this is my first cruise in a decade and it’s my wife’s first ever. With any luck if they do change things maybe they will revise them quickly again before our trip at the end of December. Just makes a person a little edgy to possibly lose out when you’re not scared of the virus already.