The Daily for Monday November 29, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Chocolates Day, Square Dance Day, and Cyber Monday

The personal life deeply lived always expands into truths beyond itself. - Anais Nin

Meal suggestion for today - Honey Mustard Salmon

Drink of the Day - Manhattan

Wine of the day - Caliterra Sauvignon Blanc Tributo Single Vineyard Valle de Leyda - Chile - White

Destination of the Day - Avatoru Rangiroa French Polynesia

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Caribbean
Eurodam Destination Cartagena, CO eta 11/30
Nieuw Statendam Destination Puerto Plata DO eta 11/30
Rotterdam Destination Port Everglades eta 12/01

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination Cabo San Lucas MX eta 11/30

Half Moon Cay BS
Nieuw Amsterdam

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Caribbean
Noordam Destination Port Everglades eta 11/30

At Sea Pacific
Zuiderdam Drifting

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Westerdam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

1129NAmerica.thumb.png.a1ece16e9d36807a1a7bc4a3d28edf66.png

1129Europe.thumb.png.82588502b7544d220a6c3f572a6a9fd3.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 10

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  Haven't tried to square dance in decades.  A LITTLE chocolate (especially dark) is healthy.  Cyber Monday seems to be Cyber Month now.  I like the Nin quote but will pass on the salmon.  Rangoria sounds familiar.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Seasick Sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
NW and BC flooding, mudslides, and people trapped between closures with diminishing supplies
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice
SrLouisCruisers friend John with end stage melanoma
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOHL results
Seasick Sailor friend Walker requesting a visit with daughters
57Redbird DH Prostate surgery TODAY
Strength for Cunnorl, DH, and family on passing of SIL
JazzyV’s best friends MOHS surgery on Nov. 30th
From the rotation:
LaPalma
NextOne  DDIL with long haul Covid
My travel agent with an esophageal blockage
Grapau27 awaiting MOHS surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Hannukah through 12/6
5 BHB with passengers
2 days for Lunanken and Rotterdam
4 days for Cruisin Terri (O Riveira)
6 days for Heartgrove Koningsdam
Front Line Health Care Workers            
Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 12/12) ,  and Norseh20 at sea (Oceania Marina to 12/1)
Another week for Overhead Fred
Welcome home Jimgev
highland cruiser in Vallarta
Konibngsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female staff captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

You had me at chocolate.😀  I don't square dance and I won't be doing any Cyber Monday shopping.

Interesting quote.

I'll pass on the meal.  Wish I was on a BHB having a Manhatten.  I'm sure the wine will be good too.

It's -5C (23F) here this morning but should warm up to 2C (36F).  We've got a light coating of snow, the ski hills are happy.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 23

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Thanks for our lists, Roy! Morning everyone. Another nippy morning here. And our breeze is back.

Busy morning here. My fireplace folk will be here soon to replace my gas fireplace pilot box. This morning would have been a perfect day to turn it on and get the chill out of the house. Then off to the gym.

My public service announcement for National Chocolate Day…

0FED38C7-B6ED-40C8-B8B0-5A1A673B4B00.jpeg.3da275038225d4149ceb8fe99cd8df09.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Caliterra Sauvignon Blanc Tributo Single Vineyard Valle de Leyda

All released vintages of this wine share similar ratings, so I used the 2018 vintage, since that might be more readily available. I found several online distributors with prices starting at $16.94 for a single bottle. One site offered a case of six bottles for $54.

Winemaker history

The Eduardo Chadwick family originally created Caliterra in 1989 as a sister project to the family-owned Viña Errazuriz of Chile. Caliterra developed its own distinct style, however, by sourcing fruit throughout Chile's prime wine-growing regions. Caliterra was named for la calidad de la tierra, because it reflects the "quality" (calidad) and the "finest land" (tierra) of Chile. From the beginning, Caliterra focused on discovering new vineyard sources, seeking the best quality for each variety.

In 1996, the Chadwicks entered into a partnership with the Robert Mondavi family, which presented an ideal opportunity for us to realize our global vision of winemaking centered on an exchange of cultures and winemaking philosophies.

"We saw the same potential in Chile that we saw in Napa Valley 30 years ago," said R. Michael Mondavi, President and CEO of Robert Mondavi. "But most importantly, with Caliterra we saw people who are dedicated to producing wines that belong in the company of the greatest wines in the world."

Caliterra quickly evolved into a true working partnership. In the vineyards, viticulturists Pedro Izquierdo of Chile and Andy Bledsoe of California work together on all aspects of winegrowing, including planning new vineyard sites, managing existing vineyards and harvesting the grapes at their peak. They concentrate their efforts on finding the best vineyard sources for each variety.

In 1998, Caliterra crushed its first vintage at La Arboleda, a new, state-of-the-art winery located in the Colchagua Valley. Colchagua, which is located within the Valle Central appellation, is quickly becoming one of Chile's premiere regions for red varieties. Looking ahead, Caliterra will continue to explore the potential of Chilean wines as newer vineyards develop. The partners also plan to build a visitors center.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Lots will be celebrating chocolate day I”m sure as well as Cyber Monday 😉 Today is the first full day of Hanukkah - Happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. 

9F522971-B716-4305-93FD-E3124129E367.jpeg.7fdecb5ce6afef6fd3d88803b26512d9.jpeg

Still digesting the quote 😉. Great meal suggestion.  We have left over prime rib so that will be on the menu tonight and salmon later this week.

Looks like we have a major snow incident coming 😔 Hope the worst of it holds off until I can get DH to his appointment.  Time will tell 🤞 While I love flowers, this weather puts me in this mood:

EA26FC18-EC9D-4ED2-9454-844AFB5A0663.thumb.jpeg.f73424006e5a57738849dc2fddabb63c.jpeg

Have been to French Polynesia but not today’s port so I will have wait for pictures.  

ooh a white wine today  Yum.  👍 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday everyone !!!!!

2BCE318C-7765-40A5-B9D2-ABC0F43D9FFD.jpeg.974aa709b820e9f761808445841561b7.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷  

• Like 26
  • Haha 10

Good afternoon.

It is a little warmer this afternoon 4°C compared to the -3°C this morning.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for the various lists and my inclusion on the rotation list.

Interesting days and of course chocolate is loved by most of us.

Black Friday and Cyber Monday have been with us for a number of years in the UK.

Nice food, drink and wine of the day.

Polynesia always sounds exotic so photos will be appreciated.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone has a safe and nice day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20210812_130457.jpg

• Like 30

Good morning, everyone.

I woke up to a covering of freshly fallen snow.  It looks pretty, but ends there.  Nothing much planned here except a trip to the grocery store this morning and then to the pool this afternoon.

Today's meal is a good one and I may just pick up some salmon at the store today.  Valerie Bertinelli leads us off today with a basic recipe for honey mustard salmon.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/valerie-bertinelli/baked-salmon-with-honey-mustard-sauce-3097803

1034986075_HoneyMustardSalmonBertinelli.jpeg.6a37f98e928f8ef8361a312bf687eb80.jpeg

This next one uses a few different seasonings and gives directions for baking and grilling.  https://www.themediterraneandish.com/honey-mustard-salmon-recipe/

Honey-Mustard-Salmon-Recipe-5.thumb.jpg.b35482a94e99556df22b7d48c26e0b29.jpg

Lastly, we have directions for cooking the salmon in foil and then broiling for a few minutes to get the nice finish.  I like cooking in foil as the cleanup is so much easier!   

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/honey-mustard-salmon-in-foil/

Honey-Mustard-Salmon-In-Foil-Recipe-6-1.thumb.jpg.461b63ba1a291cf0b26df7ce75ad4440.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8

35 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  Haven't tried to square dance in decades.  A LITTLE chocolate (especially dark) is healthy.  Cyber Monday seems to be Cyber Month now.  I like the Nin quote but will pass on the salmon.  Rangoria sounds familiar.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Seasick Sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
NW and BC flooding, mudslides, and people trapped between closures with diminishing supplies
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice
SrLouisCruisers friend John with end stage melanoma
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOHL results
Seasick Sailor friend Walker requesting a visit with daughters
57Redbird DH Prostate surgery TODAY
Strength for Cunnorl, DH, and family on passing of SIL
JazzyV’s best friends MOHS surgery on Nov. 30th
From the rotation:
LaPalma
NextOne  DDIL with long haul Covid
My travel agent with an esophageal blockage
Grapau27 awaiting MOHS surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Hannukah through 12/6
5 BHB with passengers
2 days for Lunanken and Rotterdam
4 days for Cruisin Terri (O Riveira)
6 days for Heartgrove Koningsdam
Front Line Health Care Workers            
Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 12/12) ,  and Norseh20 at sea (Oceania Marina to 12/1)
Another week for Overhead Fred
Welcome home Jimgev
highland cruiser in Vallarta
Konibngsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female staff captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Afternoon Roy.

Thank you for my inclusion on the rotation.

I have received a day appointment on 24th December for my BCC op at our local hospital.

Pre-op nasal covid19 swab on 21-12 🤞.

Graham.

• Like 25

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Did someone say chocolate? ? ?  Yum!  We were taught square dancing in grade 1, but I never danced it until I was in my early 20's.  I went with my parents to a small town fundraiser where a few of the people requested a square dance.  My Mom was recovering from foot surgery, so Dad got me up - I fumbled through it somehow, but it was fun.  The one thing that totally surprised me was a short time later, my Dad went up and called a few dances - something that blew me away, as I had no idea he knew how.   Cyber Monday means about as much to me as Black Friday - I'm not needing to participate in either.

That's an interesting quote - I'm not quite sure what to make of it yet.  

Yesterday was productive; I got my first double batch of Christmas Crack made and put away.  DH is always a taste tester and has declared it "safe for human consumption".  I thought I had more popcorn twists than I did, so I'm going to have to go out today and buy more, as I know I have to make at least 2 more batches before Christmas.

I really like today's menu suggestion - it's similar to one we've had previously, so I think I'm going to head down to the freezer and take out some salmon fillets.  Salmon with air fryer potatoes, peas and a salad will make a nice dinner for us tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for those experiencing loss and stress.  Raising the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, wear your masks, wash your hands, and be well.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry  

• Like 30

We had salmon yesterday.  Not with the honey mustard (that was last time).  We had a soy, maple syrup, marmalade glaze on it. Baked on foil, with a stipe of mayo on the foil  to keep the fish from sticking.  Yum.

Chocolate is my favorite veggie. 🙂  Even my dietician says a piece of dark chocolate is good for me.

I do love cat shepards service announcement.  LOL.

The heating guys are coming this morning.  DH has agreed to pay for a service contract where the heating and air guys crawl under our house and change the filter.  DH has finally agreed that he is now too old to be crawling under the house.  That and the fact that is vision is so bad, that he cant see what he is doing. 

I am wondering what this new variant will do to cruising.  Well off to get the filter out of the box, and I hope you all find moments of joy through out the day!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

Prayers for my younger daughter who is having a basal cell carcinoma removed today.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

Quick post of the drink of the day.  Will be back later.

Manhattan:

A Manhattan is a cocktail made with whiskey, sweet vermouth, and bitters. While rye is the traditional whiskey of choice, other commonly used whiskies include Canadian whisky, bourbon, blended whiskey, and Tennessee whiskey. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Whisky
Ingredients: 2 oz Rye or Canadian whisky, 3/4 oz Sweet red vermouth, Dash Angostura bitters, Maraschino cherry (Garnish)
Preparation: Stirred over ice, strained into a chilled glass, garnished, and served straight up.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Standard garnish: Cherry
Drinkware: Cocktail glass

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 8.25.03 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 8

37 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

Prayers for my younger daughter who is having a basal cell carcinoma removed today.

Sending my prayers 🙏 for your younger daughter for her BCC op today.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  Wow, it was a chilly 37F with no wind (thank goodness) when we got up and decided to walk outside through our neighborhood.  I wore a puffy jacket and woolen cap plus gloves to stay warm but it turned out okay.  I noticed my bottle of water I carry with me was chilled down from its original room temperature by the time we made it back home!  A good start to the day.  

Chocolate day is my very favorite day of all!  I wish Graham had some samples to send me!  Square dancing was a part of our physical education class in our school district.  So I can say I learned a little about the do-si-do and allemande left.  Cyber Monday is not important to me since I don't plan on purchasing anything today other than some Christmas postage stamps for my oh so glittery cards.  Honey mustard salmon sounds good for those who plan to partake but I'm not a fan of salmon.  DH made homemade turkey soup out of our leftover turkey last night.  He was very proud of himself and I was just happy my man took over the cooking in this household!😉  My thought when I read the quote is "that's deep".  Do with that what you will. 

Prayers for all on Roy's lists, and especially today for @Heartgrove's youngest DD with her basal cell surgery.  Also many prayers for @57redbird's DH as he finally gets his prostate surgery.  A quick recovery for him as well.  Thanks Rich for the Daily this morning.  Love the memes today, too.

In 2017 we took a Maasdam cruise to the South Pacific and stopped in Avatoru, Rangiroa.  Apparently the most popular thing to do there is take a tour of the pearl farm.  There were no spots left on the ship's tour (HAL had bought all tickets unfortunately) so we decided to just tender over and see if we could find something to do.  We were met by a group of dancers. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJov_-3ihjo9vKS3yEnBMMi?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494199330

I love their costumes!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI0avMmk-U6iMlUa11Imlgl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494199336

This spot was right next to the pier so I guess you could have just waded in and cooled off but that wasn't on our radar.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIjIHl9KDNIjpdsvaWjewGm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494199336

This was the scene as everyone waited for their van to take them to the pearl farm or frantically tried to find a ride there.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ9e-R0ckgdmKkml9ilmqTf?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494199342

The ship wasn't anchored very far off.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJG_HJysaEIT82mPBEJhbYo?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494199348

Well since there was only one road inland we just decided to walk and see what we could find.  If nothing appeared we would just head back.  Here we go!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLf9JtqCHSNLVj92J5KghUa?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494199342

Off to one side was what appeared to be huts over the water such as the big resorts had on other islands.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJQMPjXJsqWuc7IeqJfYL5p?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494199346

We kept walking.  This was a typical residence along the road.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIR39efxegWzsK-_WMAojoL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494199349

Five minutes later we came to a T in the road with the Tiputa Pass right in front of us.  This is the place where the twice daily tides create churning water and the bottlenose dophins frolic.  Unfortunately we didn't see a single one.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKDIjPM_wuFqpHDKGWT65BF?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494199353

We waited around for a while, like this gentleman did but due to the heat and nothing really happening here we walked back to the pier and tendered back to the ship.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ7YKkWYYCn7V2Uv1E0JzjV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494199357

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKJ_zjlcMeFAeLyJXIW0rOC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494199359

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIyyoFFVy3IkcUMNKhxY1SN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494199361

It would have been a great day to go to the pearl farm, so a word to the wise.  Buy your tour here from the shore excursion people on your ship or chances are you will be out of luck.  Still, I'm glad we stopped here on our South Pacific cruise.  

• Like 31
  • Thanks 7

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the care lists.

Well, it's a day of trying to get back to "normal" (whatever that may mean). We spent the past week abourd the Nieuw Statendam and had a great time.It was the first cruise for this ship since covid. As one would anticipate, the ship was in pristine condition. The crew were all excited to be back at work. The ship was only about half filled so there were no crowds.

About a week before sailing, we were offered a variety of upsales for cabins. We took the big jump to an aft-facing Neptune with the wrap=around. It was wonderful! We dined once in Tamarind and once in Pinnicle. Both were excellent. Our other meals were in Club Orange. All in all, we couldn't ask for better service.

The only glich was with accounting. They made a few mistakes in our charges, but it all got taken care of before we left the ship. I think that some of the new promotions are confusing to the acconting people so it really is important to check your statement on a regular basis.

So, last night I had the experience of having to cook dinner. I kept thinking "What is this all about? Why is noone bringing me food?" Reality is setting in.

Jim

• Like 29
  • Haha 2

In 2018 we took Maasdam's 34-day "Kon Tiki" cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Papeete.  Like Sandi @StLouisCruisers said if you don't take the pearl farm excursion, you are on your own.  The day before, we stopped at Fakarava where we rented bicycles and I had a slight "mishap" and was pretty sore the next day or two.  I honestly do not know what we did that day and only have photos taken from the ship or tender.

October 11, 2018

DSC00482.thumb.jpg.a3d08f78932bc4b21aa3e5475a325b72.jpg

DSC00485.thumb.jpg.04e914873f858a2334548c78e5546b5c.jpg

DSC00492.thumb.jpg.b8121fd73c16d67be525ae9f9b9a4c64.jpg

Kay

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2