Picture-A-Week 2021 - Week 49

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, November 29 and Sunday, December 5.

Official Winter starts in three weeks or so. Fall photo season is fading fast! 

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

First and second days of summer, 1/12 and 2/12 (1 and 2 December) both started off with very warm mornings and early afternoons. Storms forecast for both afternoons.

Thursday afternoon I was going down to the Botanic Gardens in my suburb (Williamstown) to practise my macro photography on little creatures. I drive instead of walking because of the forecast.

Well, did not make it into the gardens before my first subject appeared. Inside of the door as i prepared to get out. Second image in the gardens. Third image of some of the consequences of the storm (outside a yacht club).

1860898614_Carspider1.thumb.jpg.9fbf244a4373f3591d5446099730343f.jpg

1867373423_Carspider2.thumb.jpg.13ebee06fcb5f6ce742d594783ee2748.jpg

1608119200_carspider3.thumb.jpg.a632ba972a9e970d98ee674c07e89bd8.jpg

• Like 6

Our local ski hill opened yesterday & it was good to get out and get some runs in, after the terrible year we had last year. Sun shine, blue clouds -3C (26F)They had to make snow as we still have green grass here.

P1010001.JPG

P1010012.JPG

P1010024.JPG

• Like 5

Only got one day at the wetlands this weekend - headed out Saturday for a few miles' walk, then Sunday had to go get a Christmas tree and set it up.  I won't be getting to the wetlands next weekend as I'll be up at Disney World for a getaway...fortunately, there were some cool birds at the wetlands this weekend to hold me over...

An osprey flying overhead:

original.jpg

An alligator napping on the levee:

original.jpg

A female blue-winged teal barely making a ripple:

original.jpg

A belted kingfisher in mid-air hover, watching the water below and waiting for the perfect moment do dive:

original.jpg

An American bittern, all puffed up from a fresh bath:

original.jpg

A distant red-shouldered hawk perched in a tree, resting one foot at a time:

original.jpg

A lovely little pied-billed grebe just up from a dive - these little divers repel water so effectively, they're already dry the moment they come up, other than a few telltale water drops still beading:

original.jpg

• Like 5

Back to hockey this week. Saturday found us at the local rink watching Matthew’s increasingly cohesive team battle it out for three games. The upper level had been pretty comfortable until our weather started cooling off and daytime temps plummeting to 70° or so (born and raised in Southern California). Cold nights and cool days lowered the temperature in the spectator area and my camera to somewhere just above freezing. The games were exciting and I ended up with several pretty decent action shots as well as a mental note to buy a decent pair of photographer’s gloves. Matthew has really come along and had what I thought was a great day. My opinion apparently wasn’t too grandparent-biased as he was voted the MVP for this week. Nice!

Emveep

1130559046_2021-49Emveep.thumb.jpg.d148ad2d829591a8b4d27c935bcfe294.jpg

Dave

• Like 4