When to visit Alaska?

revsgirl

Depends what you mean by "best".

Lots talk about weather, but Alaska weather is tricky...drier in May/June, warmer July/August, but wetter.

Less crowded in May/early June (for obvious reasons), more crowded but more general activity options during summer months.

If you look aroun d the board you see many discussions on this and related topics. Personally, the only bad months, in my opinion are later September into October.

• Like 1

I have cruised to Alaska during the months of June-July-August.  Weather is a wild card whenever one visits.  One has to pack for unusually warm to unusually cool; from wet to dry.  Every season has its own advantages as to scenery.  Because of I have relatives who live in Alaska, I have been there in December.  Beautiful--just magnificently beautiful--but, "Baby, it's cold outside!".  But, that allows one to do something that most of us never get to do:  drive on a frozen lake and, if one wants to do so, ice fish.  

• Thanks 1

This has been asked and answered many times. Basically, May is drier and less crowded. September is also less crowded and wetter. However, Mother Nature does not necessarily pay attention to the calendar. We have gone in September twice, and encountered all kinds of weather.

As above from @CruiserBruce, I would not want to venture into late September or October.

• Thanks 1

We picked mid-August because we wanted to take an excursion up Tracy Arm and knew there would be no problem with ice.  Earlier in the season it could be an issue.

We lucked out last time, and are going again mid-August.

Edited by Dancing Shoes

Are you looking at round-trip cruises to SE Alaska (from Vancouver or Seattle) or one-way cruises to/from Whittier/Seward from/to Vancouver? The latter would mean you're thinking about some touring in Alaska before or after the cruise, in which case the "when to go" question becomes significantly more important, since there are numerous climate zones in the big state.  In some areas (and in most years) early summer can be wetter than late summers and the bugs more prevalent.  In places like Denali National Park, autumn (with great fall color but also shorter and cooler days, and maybe wetter ones) can start in August.  

So let us know your plans for a more complete response.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2021 at 10:37 PM, travelbug11 said:

I love going in May for the best weather. Also September for the autumn colors.  Also, less little ones running around.

We are doing a land trip up near Fairbanks before our cruise and hoping to see the northern lights.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2021 at 5:52 PM, gerig said:

We are doing a land trip up near Fairbanks before our cruise and hoping to see the northern lights.

If aurora viewing is really important, forget cruising and go to Fairbanks and points north in Feb or March.  I spent about about 10 days there once at that time including 3 days at Chena Hot Springs and had great intense aurora every night.  

DON