How to get the best wine selections?

kjbacon

Maybe it was being on a cruise, or additional aging (of the wine!) during the layoff, but the Germaine Champagne seemed okay to me.  Not as good as the one they served before switching, the Montaudon, which had more layers.  But the Germaine wasn’t sweet, which I had feared.  Acceptable. 

28 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Is White Zinfandel different than  others?

There is  one by Robert Mondavi on the by the glass list

I am not a wine connoisseur  so maybe not  the same  🤔

No, nein, nyet!!! My friend's daughter works at one of the nice Sonoma vineyards, and even theirs was terrible. Not at all like a red zin. (Ski Mom2 is a girl after my own heart--we love the primitivos along the Croatian coast...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If buying wines from the bin end list, watch out for a 20% Vat tax being added to the given prices on some European cruises. This was shown as an additional charge quite clearly on the main wine list for purchasing (it is not applicable for the included pours, of course)  but was not shown for the "bin end" discounted list, but was added to our account at the end of the cruise, despite not being printed/mentioned anywhere, as it legally should have been.  Perhaps they have now added this detail to the bin end list for proper clarity. I hope so. 

49 minutes ago, auldlassie said:

If buying wines from the bin end list, watch out for a 20% Vat tax being added to the given prices on some European cruises.

Was that on top pf the Gratuity/tax??

7 hours ago, Clutj said:

Last week’s by the glass list on Riviera.

D2F2B3D5-D1F5-4F8E-AC41-082D3AB8B35E.jpeg

I see Deakin Estate Shiraz on the list at 11.75 per glass.  That is about twice the price for a bottle from a liquor store here in Australia!  That about summarises my view of the available wines which is why I am a devotee of the 'bringing wine onboard' arrangements.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Cruisedreamer1 said:

Be careful of reduced priced wines offered. We bought one and it was spoiled and we had a bit of a challenge to get it replaced. The server didn't want to accept of protests and we had to ask for the head wine server.

None of us know how or where all those wines were ( and with most of the ships continue to be) stored during shutdown. Buyer Beware! 

Although some whites age quite gracefully, I would recommend prudence with any white wine over five (5) years old offered for sale by Oceania. The chances for disappointment are large.

• Like 1

Had a 2017 Louis Jadot Puligny-Montrachet in Jacques last week that was lovely and listed at $121.  (Also had it in a white wine tasting where all 5 bottles were fine.  As you’d expect… they had presumably been checked by the head somm before the tasting.)

FYI, wine-searcher shows a $72-85 retail for that Jadot.  

Edited by Clutj
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

The best way to get the best wines that you want—-easy bring them with you.  Ship to hotel and add it to your luggage when you check-in at the ship.  We’ve done it and it was nice—we filled in with ship wines as needed.

I've just ordered a wine suitcase; hope it arrives in time...

Wine Enthusiast--and I stole the idea from someone on these boards, who said they pack a case of wine... TSA approved, 36 lbs total for a 6-bottle case. They also have them at Total Wine (not ours, sadly), Macy's etc. Who knew??? Just Google Wine Luggage

Edited by sofietucker
  • Thanks 1

We just got off 46 days on Riviera and we did have to have a “gift” white wine replaced because it had turned.  I am absolutely a supporter of “bring your own favorites”. We helped stock a 12 bottle wine suitcase and it was great, the best way to go. 
we bring our own “gems/finds” whether $20-30 or some special vintages that ran us $40-60. We even brought some of Bob Binder’s Silver Trident Pinot Noir and some Zinfandels that went perfect with our many dinners from the Specialties.  Even factoring in the $25 corkage fee, our hand carry wines were a great bargain as anything close to what we brought would cost $120 on up plus the 20% service charge.  

I must say however, we found on the Polo wine list a great bargain and would recommend it to everyone. The have a Ferrari Carano (Sonoma County CA) Prevail West Face Red Blend for only $86, and with 20%, I paid $103 and I bought it many times on the trip. I Love to use SBC for these extravagances. Anyway, we have only found the Prevail at the FC Winery basement tasting room and it starts at $120, $96 if you are a Wine Club Member and that was for an even more recent vintage.  If you might be aboard Riviera or perhaps on the other ships, check out the Polo wine list and if you see it, buy it as it is fantastic with the beef selections. 

Yes, the wine suitcase is about $300 for a 12 bottle size but it is well worth it in the long run. 
Ciao all, Mauibabes, Gerry and Bonnie

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry to bump this older thread, but we were thinking of booking a Med cruise on Oceania and this thread has us a bit concerned. We love our wine.  We normally sail on Celebrity and enjoy their Premium Wine Package which allows you to enjoy any glass $15 or less which includes some decent choices;  if you choose to splurge and enjoy a glass over $15 you just pay the difference.  For example, we can enjoy a glass of Caymus or Perriet Jouet for around $10 per glass.  They also sell wines by the bottle with very low markups (Jordan Cab for around $90)

Since it's a med cruise, I wouldn't mind buying some nice Italian wines and bring them on board for consumption.  I see some discussion of this here, but on the Oceania website it says that you are limited to 6 total bottles brought on board for the duration of your cruise.  Is this a new policy?  Do they enforce it? 

4 minutes ago, FFMilesJunkie said:

I'm sorry to bump this older thread, but we were thinking of booking a Med cruise on Oceania and this thread has us a bit concerned. We love our wine.  We normally sail on Celebrity and enjoy their Premium Wine Package which allows you to enjoy any glass $15 or less which includes some decent choices;  if you choose to splurge and enjoy a glass over $15 you just pay the difference.  For example, we can enjoy a glass of Caymus or Perriet Jouet for around $10 per glass.  They also sell wines by the bottle with very low markups (Jordan Cab for around $90)

Since it's a med cruise, I wouldn't mind buying some nice Italian wines and bring them on board for consumption.  I see some discussion of this here, but on the Oceania website it says that you are limited to 6 total bottles brought on board for the duration of your cruise.  Is this a new policy?  Do they enforce it? 

They don't enforce it, but you are restricted to drinking in your stateroom.  You can't pour it in your stateroom, then carry the glass around the ship or take it to lunch or dinner.  You can take a bottle to lunch/dinner and pay a $25 corkage fee if you want. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FFMilesJunkie said:

They don't enforce it- it is there in case someone abuses the privilege.  Never heard of that happening.

I agree that Celebrity Premium Wine Choices and the ability to pay the difference for more expensive wine is an excellent program.  I so wish Oceania would copy them.

I am primarily a wine drinker so buying O's Prestige drink package is a total waste.  As "Flatbush' says

their wine by the glass choices are really sub par.

Bring your own wine and pay the corkage- you will be much happier.  See some of the previous posts about wine suitcases

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

They don't enforce it- it is there in case someone abuses the privilege.  Never heard of that happening.

I agree that Celebrity Premium Wine Choices and the ability to pay the difference for more expensive wine is an excellent program.  I so wish Oceania would copy them.

I am primarily a wine drinker so buying O's Prestige drink package is a total waste.  As "Flatbush' says

their wine by the glass choices are really sub par.

Bring your own wine and pay the corkage- you will be much happier.  See some of the previous posts about wine suitcases

Thank you for your response.  Yes, we have a couple 12 bottle wine suitcases we take to Napa empty and come back full every couple years.  Since the cruise is a Rome round trip, I would probably just purchase from wine shops at our ports and bring on board (pay the $25 corkage).  

So we discovered the fab WINE BAR that somehow is under-advertised! La Reserve, we thought, was just for scheduled tasting events and pairing dinners. Not so! You can go in any time they're open (except when they're having an event) and get some GREAT wines by the glass for about $9. And wine flights! Both regular and "connoisseur"--including brunello and amarones! (Yes, I saw the list published here, but again, thought it was only available during those events.) They provide a really nice selection of tapas to go with. Just a really fun option--and lovely to sit in their open-air section.

• Like 1

Re: the gal asking about carrying along zinfandels: we took a few bottles of The Prisoner's Saldo zin-- very yummy if you haven't tried it! Good ol' Total Wine in South Beach carries it. Label looks like it was made with an old-fashioned handheld Dymo labelmaker, lol.

Edited by sofietucker

2 hours ago, sofietucker said:

So we discovered the fab WINE BAR that somehow is under-advertised! La Reserve, we thought, was just for scheduled tasting events and pairing dinners. Not so! You can go in any time they're open (except when they're having an event) and get some GREAT wines by the glass for about $9. And wine flights! Both regular and "connoisseur"--including brunello and amarones! (Yes, I saw the list published here, but again, thought it was only available during those events.) They provide a really nice selection of tapas to go with. Just a really fun option--and lovely to sit in their open-air section.

Wow! Thanks for the tip.  Do you know if they offer this on the smaller ships that don't have La Reserve (ie Regatta?).  I would absolutely check this out if available.  Not going to bring our own wine onboard (logistically too hard for our cruise). Plus would only have a glass or 2 with dinner.  We're getting the Prestige Bev Package (prefer to drink beer/cocktails on tropical cruises).  But a wine flight/tasting/option by the glass of premium wines would be fun to do for a day at sea

19 minutes ago, JenniferLY said:

Wow! Thanks for the tip.  Do you know if they offer this on the smaller ships that don't have La Reserve (ie Regatta?).

AFAIK it is only at La Reserve  on the O class ships   not on the R ships

• Like 1

Only on the O ships in La Reserve!

I, for the life of me, don’t understand why the ships so poorly advertise and promote this wonderful venue! 🤬 Often times we have had to walk by to see if open. Zero mention in Currents. Unexplainable! I questioned my least favorite CD about this on our last Marina cruise and was meet with a snarl. Wasn’t sure if it was an Oceania position, or my least favorite CD’s typical response to anything.