Self drive a rental in UK

JimChar

Have a trip with Island Princess in Oct 2022.

I have a wild idea in mind. 

Can I rent a car from Heathrow, visit nearby places, stay over for a few nights here and there, return the car at Southampton before our cruise.
We have about 4 to 7 days, depending on flights.

If you have done it, please share with me the rental agency used, route taken and places visited. We are 1st timer in that part of UK and drives on the same side of the road

🙂 Thank you 

Edited by JimChar

In the past we have rented a car in Southampton upon disembarkation, toured around, then returned the car to Heathrow so while it is the reverse of what you want to do, I'm sure it can be done.  As to what company we rented from not 100% sure as it was a few years ago but I think it was Hertz but really any reputable company that meets your needs and price point should be fine.  As to route taken and places visited, I really can't recommend anything as we drove to the North of England from Southampton and visited my family that lives in England.

You may want to ask for route and touring recommendations, as well as rental company info, over on the UK Cruising Board.  More folks from the UK and that area will be able to give you specific information.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, abqmommyof4 said:

JUst  as a heads up,  most  cars and  rentals  are  standard.  plus the  steering wheel is on the other side so you will be shifting with the opposite  hand   Add to that  driving on the other  side of the road

The OP stated he already drives that side of the road, he’s in Singapore.  EM

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, abqmommyof4 said:

JUst  as a heads up,  most  cars and  rentals  are  standard.  plus the  steering wheel is on the other side so you will be shifting with the opposite  hand   Add to that  driving on the other  side of the road

The gear pattern is the same and the foot pedals are as well.  If you've ever been a passenger in a four-on-the-floor and the driver said " grab third for me", you'll be ok.  My biggest adjustment came from trying to use my rearview mirror.  I kept looking out at the sky on my right.

• Like 1

The only advice I would give is not to hire a car immediately on arrival in LHR. A night in a hotel first,  and then you will be good to go. 

Bath, Oxford, Salisbury, Winchester  would all be doable. 

Ask on the Ports of Call forum for more information. 

• Like 1

Go over to Port of Call - Britain and ask your question.

We rented a car one way rental from LHR Heathrow in the 2000’s from European (www.europcar.com).  Car rental offices are not attached to the airport, you need to take a shuttle to rental office.

First time, we arrived in the morning and picked up the car and drove..  My husband was tired from lack of sleep and did not enjoy the driving.  Second time, we had a daytime flight and arrived at night. We picked up the car and drove to a hotel (Premier Inn) near the airport for the night.  My husband enjoyed the drive much better as he was rested.

We stop at Winchester (stayed at Mercure Sussex hotel.  Hotel is on the Cathedral grounds), Bath, Stonehenge, Windsor, Portsmouth (stayed at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth).  Visited New Forrest area (National Motor Museum, Beaulieu, New Forrest www.beaulieu.co.uk) and Salisbury while in Southampton.

We dropped off the car at the Southampton rental office at West Quay.  We stayed at Premier Inn West Quay walking distance from rental office.

Make sure you have GPS for directions.  Highways are well marked for exits coming up.  Watch out for roundabouts.  Gas is expensive.

Edited by phabric
  • Like 1

Do you have a rough order for overall plans? For instance, if you're planning time in London, I'd do that first and not bother with a rental car until you're at your next stop. If you're thinking of a couple of more urban stops, then don't bother with a car for those either (generally speaking). I don't know what you're thinking for nearby places, but some of them may not require a car. It's been about three years, but we had business north of Birmingham where we weren't going to need a car. In our case, we hired a driver (expensed), then picked up a car and drove to Stratford-upon-Avon for a couple of nights and into the Cotswolds. Returned the car at Birmingham and took the train back to London for three nights. So there are a lot of options depending on your interests. But if you're spending time in the greater London area, you probably don't need a car, and it may be an expensive anchor.

On the other hand, the countryside away from London can be beautiful, and the car will get you away from the cities. I'd really give some consideration to what you're planning so you can make best use of a car, and not simply pay for the car and parking!

• Like 1

Yes, since you have a few days pre-cruise, renting a car makes a lot of sense.🙂

All the major renters have depots at LHR (note Phabric's comment that they're remote from the terminals and you need a shuttle).

Hertz, Europcar, National, Alamo & Enterrprise have depots near Southampton docks - with luggage you need a £10 taxi ride from any of those depots to any cruise terminal, or for a few eg Hertz or Europcar to City cruise terminal you can drop your luggage & passengers at the terminal before returning the car and walking back to the cruise terminal. 

Avis & Budget don't have depots in the city, they're on the outskirts at Southampton airport - various options to get to a cruise terminal but simplest is a taxi from the airport rank for about £20 to £22.

A number of depots don't open on sundays, so if you arrive Southampton on a sunday your choices are more-restricted. You might be able to return the car out-of-hours by putting the key thro a letterbox, but that's something I try to avoid so as not to be blamed for any damage.

Rental cars are manual transmission unless specified.

Compare not only rental charges and one-way fees, but also CDW insurance terms & excesses, any mileage charges, and fuel policies.

Subject to where you plan to drive (eg motorways or country lanes) a small car is easier for driving & parking than a big one, but since you'll be touring you need your luggage to be out of sight.

If you plan to visit London, as Markeb's advice do that before renting a car - dog-eat-dog driving, parking, congestion, extra charges etc in central London are no fun - even for Brits. Even though there are rental depots in central London, best to take train, tube or bus  from there to LHR and rent from there.

There'll be a good few driving differences between Singapore & England (do you have roundabouts in Singapore?) but you're well on the way since you already drive on the proper side of the road.

Windsor should be on your to-do list, but its only about 8 miles from LHR, so consider spendng your first night (or two, depending on flight arrival time) at LHR or Windsor. If at Windsor you may find it more convenient to collect a car at a Windsor depot.

You've had lots of good suggestions about places to visit, but that's going to depend on whether its for four days or seven or somewhere in-between. And it'll depend on your interests - ancient sites like Stonehenge and Avebury, or castles and cathedrals and palaces, or literary or other historical connections like Shakespeare and Jane Austen, or TV / film locations like for Downton Abbey, Harry Potter, etc. or countryside driving like the Cotswolds or the New Forest. With seven days you could fit in a selection. 

JB 🙂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, John Bull said:

All the major renters have depots at LHR (note Phabric's comment that they're remote from the terminals and you need a shuttle).

There is one exception to this general rule - Avis/Budget have reopened their office on Level 4 of the Short Stay Car Park at Terminal 5.

It’s a few steps and an elevator ride from the arrivals hall, very convenient (but noting JB’s point that Avis are not the most convenient at the Southampton end.)

it’s also worth adding that all the companies have scaled back their operations during the pandemic (size of fleet and number of locations) and many locations, particularly in city centres, may not reopen. Keep this in mind when reading anything written pre-2020 about car rental!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone. Many thanks for the inputs. I had misplace the link to this post until I check old notifications email.

At the moment, we are still watching youtubes and googling the places to visits and along with friends to meet. It was nice of them wanting to catch up, we just have to plan this carefully to avoid back tracking. Meanwhile, I am watching the UK arrival requirements on the ART / PCR topic. 

Sadly, i got retrenched 2 weeks ago and now have to plan carefully, what i can afford or otherwise. But the cruise will continue as planned. 

On 1/24/2022 at 1:56 AM, JimChar said:

Meanwhile, I am watching the UK arrival requirements on the ART / PCR topic. 

It might be an idea to brew a coffee or pour something stronger before wading thro this up-date😉

Covid rules for ENGLAND are being relaxed on 11th Fub., after which fully-vaccinated visitors will not be required to test at all.

Fully-vaccinated means two doses of an approved vaccine (or a single dose of an approved single-dose vaccine like J&J) from an approved source. I'm pretty certain that most countries' vaccines & sources are approved.

The second (or the only J&J) vaccination must be at least 14 days before travel in order to qualify as "fully-vaccinated"

A third or booster dose is not required.

Those aged under 18 do not have to be vaccinated, they are treated the same as being fully vaccinated.

Proof of natural immunity is not acceptable - Novac Djokovic please note 😉.

Un-vaccinated visitors must test before and after travel, but do not have to quarantine unless they test positive.

Regardless of vaccination status, foreign nationals who have been to a country on England's Red List in the previous ten days will be refused entry. But there are currently NO countries on that Red List.

These rules are for England - other parts of the UK have their own rules, though they broadly follow England's rules, often a little later.

If you enter the UK via Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, check their entry requirements (linked on the website at the foot of this post). But once in the UK there are no checks or restrictions on travel between UK countries, altho' there may be minor rule differences within each country eg mask-wearing & crowding.

The Irish Republic. UK countries & the Irish Republic form a Common Travel Area (CTA) - kinda like a mini-Schengen.

But there have been Covid travel restrictions to the Irish Republic even from the UK, including mandatory quarantining. The quarantining ended last September, but if you plan to enter the CTA via the Irish Republic (some North American visitors fly via Dublin) or to visit the Irish Republic from the UK you need to check their requirements (Currently Round Britain cruises call at Irish ports, so hopefully its not an issue)

I've tried to provide the basics in this post, but please don't shoot me for any errors or omissions.

The full details are linked on the govt website below below, but are a little confusing because they reflect current regulations with links to the 11th Feb changes. If it's too heavy for you, bookmark the page & check it out after 11th Feb.

Also bear in mind the rules & requirements of your own country, your airline & your cruise ship.

And rules change frequently depending on changes in circumstances, so do try to keep up-to-date.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-england-from-another-country-during-coronavirus-covid-19#changes-to-international-travel-rules-from-11-february-2022

JB 🙂

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 8:32 PM, John Bull said:

It might be an idea to brew a coffee or pour something stronger before wading thro this up-date😉

Covid rules for ENGLAND are being relaxed on 11th Fub., after which fully-vaccinated visitors will not be required to test at all.

Fully-vaccinated means two doses of an approved vaccine (or a single dose of an approved single-dose vaccine like J&J) from an approved source. I'm pretty certain that most countries' vaccines & sources are approved.

The second (or the only J&J) vaccination must be at least 14 days before travel in order to qualify as "fully-vaccinated"

A third or booster dose is not required.

Those aged under 18 do not have to be vaccinated, they are treated the same as being fully vaccinated.

Proof of natural immunity is not acceptable - Novac Djokovic please note 😉.

Un-vaccinated visitors must test before and after travel, but do not have to quarantine unless they test positive.

Regardless of vaccination status, foreign nationals who have been to a country on England's Red List in the previous ten days will be refused entry. But there are currently NO countries on that Red List.

These rules are for England - other parts of the UK have their own rules, though they broadly follow England's rules, often a little later.

If you enter the UK via Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, check their entry requirements (linked on the website at the foot of this post). But once in the UK there are no checks or restrictions on travel between UK countries, altho' there may be minor rule differences within each country eg mask-wearing & crowding.

The Irish Republic. UK countries & the Irish Republic form a Common Travel Area (CTA) - kinda like a mini-Schengen.

But there have been Covid travel restrictions to the Irish Republic even from the UK, including mandatory quarantining. The quarantining ended last September, but if you plan to enter the CTA via the Irish Republic (some North American visitors fly via Dublin) or to visit the Irish Republic from the UK you need to check their requirements (Currently Round Britain cruises call at Irish ports, so hopefully its not an issue)

I've tried to provide the basics in this post, but please don't shoot me for any errors or omissions.

The full details are linked on the govt website below below, but are a little confusing because they reflect current regulations with links to the 11th Feb changes. If it's too heavy for you, bookmark the page & check it out after 11th Feb.

Also bear in mind the rules & requirements of your own country, your airline & your cruise ship.

And rules change frequently depending on changes in circumstances, so do try to keep up-to-date.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-england-from-another-country-during-coronavirus-covid-19#changes-to-international-travel-rules-from-11-february-2022

JB 🙂

Thank you. I will review this topic again within the time we book our flights (usually 3 - 4 months in advance) 

3 hours ago, JimChar said:

Thank you. I will review this topic again within the time we book our flights (usually 3 - 4 months in advance) 

Check my update at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2826274-covid-requirements-for-travel-to-uk-eased-from-11th-feb/#comment-62610924 🙂

JB 🙂

• Like 1

Jumping on this thread to ask a related question. We are renting a car too in London (staying in a VRBO for 5 nights before cruise) to get to Southampton and then from Southampton to get back to Heathrow. Similarly, my husband is ok driving . We are a family of 4 and this just makes sense to us. Plus our flight home after the cruise is late afternoon.

Is it recommended to stay at the port the night before the cruise and return the car that night or stay in Winchester and return the car the morning of the cruise? I have reservations at the Moxy, but can easily cancel. I am torn since i don't know what time we board. We also want to experience as much as we can while in the UK.

TIA!

Stephanie

Edited by seba1

5 hours ago, seba1 said:

Jumping on this thread to ask a related question. We are renting a car too in London (staying in a VRBO for 5 nights before cruise) to get to Southampton and then from Southampton to get back to Heathrow. Similarly, my husband is ok driving . We are a family of 4 and this just makes sense to us. Plus our flight home after the cruise is late afternoon.

Is it recommended to stay at the port the night before the cruise and return the car that night or stay in Winchester and return the car the morning of the cruise? I have reservations at the Moxy, but can easily cancel. I am torn since i don't know what time we board. We also want to experience as much as we can while in the UK.

TIA!

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

I wouldn't expect any grief if you arrive at the cruise terminal after your allotted boarding time - allotted  boarding times are mainly to avoid folk arriving too early.  Latest boarding time is likely to be 3pm or 3.30pm

Londoners travel down to Southampton on cruise morning.

And Southampton city centre is a drive of less than half-an-hour from Winchester, altho you'd have to allow for returning the car (which ship, which car rental operator?)

So you'll have time to wander Winchester's historic centre & cathedral before heading to the port.

But for Winchester it'd be easier & cheaper to take the train rather than renting a car.

London Waterloo to Winchester about an hour, up to 2 trains per hour, as cheap as £8.70 pp by advannce purchase (from about 8 weeks out ). Winchester to Southampton Central 15 minutes, 2 - 3 direct trains per hour, £5 pp.

https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/

Renting a car is worthwhile if you want to explore the countryside - but there's no attractive countryside between the Big Bad City and Southampton, and exploring off-route would foul-up your time in Winchester. And a car is an unnecessary burden in Winchester.

BTW are you planning to use the car in London?

Bad idea.

Sight-seeing is basically impossible by self-drive car because of congestion and navigation, but mainly because parking is a huge problem. Most Brits don't drive in central London, and a high proportion of Londoners don't even own a car. Public transport (the tube, buses, trains) is the way to go in central London.

JB 🙂

• Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 6:22 PM, John Bull said:

Hi Stephanie,

I wouldn't expect any grief if you arrive at the cruise terminal after your allotted boarding time - allotted  boarding times are mainly to avoid folk arriving too early.  Latest boarding time is likely to be 3pm or 3.30pm

Londoners travel down to Southampton on cruise morning.

And Southampton city centre is a drive of less than half-an-hour from Winchester, altho you'd have to allow for returning the car (which ship, which car rental operator?)

So you'll have time to wander Winchester's historic centre & cathedral before heading to the port.

But for Winchester it'd be easier & cheaper to take the train rather than renting a car.

London Waterloo to Winchester about an hour, up to 2 trains per hour, as cheap as £8.70 pp by advannce purchase (from about 8 weeks out ). Winchester to Southampton Central 15 minutes, 2 - 3 direct trains per hour, £5 pp.

https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/

Renting a car is worthwhile if you want to explore the countryside - but there's no attractive countryside between the Big Bad City and Southampton, and exploring off-route would foul-up your time in Winchester. And a car is an unnecessary burden in Winchester.

BTW are you planning to use the car in London?

Bad idea.

Sight-seeing is basically impossible by self-drive car because of congestion and navigation, but mainly because parking is a huge problem. Most Brits don't drive in central London, and a high proportion of Londoners don't even own a car. Public transport (the tube, buses, trains) is the way to go in central London.

JB 🙂

Thank you John! Such great information!

We plan to only have a car the day we need to get to the other part of the country. We are staying in a VRBO near the Angel stop. We plan to see as much as we can in London on foot and by train. However, my husband is hoping that the Mini plant in Oxford starts to offer tours again and he really wants to go. So, we would drive from London to Oxford to Winchester. We would either stay in Winchester Thursday night (before the cruise) or return the car to the airport and stay at the hotel we currently have booked across from the pier. I am torn on what is best, but am leaning toward returning the car.

We are on RCCL (car is Avis). Do you know what time the ships tend to start boarding?

Thank you!

6 hours ago, seba1 said:

Thank you John! Such great information!

We plan to only have a car the day we need to get to the other part of the country. We are staying in a VRBO near the Angel stop. We plan to see as much as we can in London on foot and by train. However, my husband is hoping that the Mini plant in Oxford starts to offer tours again and he really wants to go. So, we would drive from London to Oxford to Winchester. We would either stay in Winchester Thursday night (before the cruise) or return the car to the airport and stay at the hotel we currently have booked across from the pier. I am torn on what is best, but am leaning toward returning the car.

We are on RCCL (car is Avis). Do you know what time the ships tend to start boarding?

Thank you!

I'm glad you'll be using public transport in London . as per my last post, sight-seeing in London is problematic.

But your route from Islington to Oxford is pretty simple, although initially signposting is only for London districts and you have one or two diversions to avoid using stretches dedicated to buses so you'll certainly need GPS. After about 5 miles you'll be on the A4 divided highway and in the clear.

The route from Oxford to Winchester and on to Southampton airport is simple.

But for Winchester choose lodging within walking distance of the centre, with its own parking or ample public parking close by, and expect to pay for parking - street parking is seriously over-subscribed & most of it is for residents only.

Somewhere like 

https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/winchestermoathouse.en-gb.html?aid=304142;label=gen173nr-1FCAEoggI46AdIM1gEaFCIAQGYAQm4ARfIAQzYAQHoAQH4AQuIAgGoAgO4AoCKq4EGwAIB0gIkZTYzODRm

Avis is the only major player which doesn't have a depot in the city handy to the port..

The airport is very close to the motorway, but about 8 miles from the port.

If you choose Avis, head straight there - it's not worth driving into Southampton & then returning the car in the morning.

From the airport don't take the bus - it's mainly for university students and altho it's frequent the route is mazy & takes almost an hour. https://www.unilinkbus.co.uk/services/UNIL/U1A?date=2022-02-25&direction=outbound

At least two trains per hour from the airport cost only a few pounds & take about 10 minutes. Then its a half-mile level walk to the Moxy.

If you don't fancy the walk a taxi to the Moxy from Southampton central station will cost about £5, in which case consider a taxi from the airport at about £22

Ships don't normally start boarding until at least 11.30 am.

City cruise terminal (RCI's usual berth) is a ten-minute walk from the Moxy if you short-cut thro Holiday Inn's carpark.

JB 🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

As a matter of interest, it has been reported that the Mini factory is partially shutting during the week, due to the world wide shortage of microchips.  

They also haven't been offering public tours because of COVID, but we are hoping that by June things will look better. It's all so crazy!

17 hours ago, John Bull said:

I'm glad you'll be using public transport in London . as per my last post, sight-seeing in London is problematic.

But your route from Islington to Oxford is pretty simple, although initially signposting is only for London districts and you have one or two diversions to avoid using stretches dedicated to buses so you'll certainly need GPS. After about 5 miles you'll be on the A4 divided highway and in the clear.

The route from Oxford to Winchester and on to Southampton airport is simple.

But for Winchester choose lodging within walking distance of the centre, with its own parking or ample public parking close by, and expect to pay for parking - street parking is seriously over-subscribed & most of it is for residents only.

Somewhere like 

https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/winchestermoathouse.en-gb.html?aid=304142;label=gen173nr-1FCAEoggI46AdIM1gEaFCIAQGYAQm4ARfIAQzYAQHoAQH4AQuIAgGoAgO4AoCKq4EGwAIB0gIkZTYzODRm

Avis is the only major player which doesn't have a depot in the city handy to the port..

The airport is very close to the motorway, but about 8 miles from the port.

If you choose Avis, head straight there - it's not worth driving into Southampton & then returning the car in the morning.

From the airport don't take the bus - it's mainly for university students and altho it's frequent the route is mazy & takes almost an hour. https://www.unilinkbus.co.uk/services/UNIL/U1A?date=2022-02-25&direction=outbound

At least two trains per hour from the airport cost only a few pounds & take about 10 minutes. Then its a half-mile level walk to the Moxy.

If you don't fancy the walk a taxi to the Moxy from Southampton central station will cost about £5, in which case consider a taxi from the airport at about £22

Ships don't normally start boarding until at least 11.30 am.

City cruise terminal (RCI's usual berth) is a ten-minute walk from the Moxy if you short-cut thro Holiday Inn's carpark.

JB 🙂

John -

You are such a wealth of knowledge. Thank you so much for the information and details. We appreciate you!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2022 at 7:16 PM, seba1 said:

John -

You are such a wealth of knowledge. Thank you so much for the information and details. We appreciate you!

Oooops.😳

Re-reading my post there's an important typo.

"After about 5 miles you'll be on the A4 divided highway and in the clear" should read "After about 5 miles you'll be on the A40 divided highway and in the clear"

That missed key-strike could send you to Wales instead of Oxford 🙄

JB 🙂