Just back from Nieuw Statendam

k9hndler

3 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

........(The room stewards as well as MDR staff and all other onboard crew are, IMO, the biggest part of the HAL magic for us)

Absolutely. 

PG and Canaletto Managers are swapping for the next cruise and hopefully, the PG waitstaff will start coming up to speed. PG food remains outstanding.

5 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Since our last cruise was Christmas/New Year's 2019, is cleaning the cabin only once a day something new? 

See my experience on the Rotterdam in October Post #24

5 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Is there no turn-down service at night anymore? 

Our experience from October again, you can have someone come in and turn your covers down if you wish....just ask.

6 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Does it cost extra to have the room serviced twice a day? 

Not our experience in October.

And finally,

Say hello to Gus and Homer in the MDR...great wait team!

And say hello to Sydney and Matt at the Billboard Onboard pianos!

And enjoy the Rotterdam....we sure did!

Thanks, FlaMariner.  I was writing as several people were posting, so didn't see those responses, all of which answered my questions, until after I hit the submit.

Great review.  Thanks to OP for taking time to write it.  We enjoyed Statendam Christmas/New Year's 2019.  We were the 3rd or 4th cruise for that new ship.  We loved the first two Pinnacle-class ships, except for the narrow Promenade.  I'm sure we'll enjoy the Rotterdam, too, but we're also eager to get back onboard some of the smaller ships as well.  So glad that cruising is back.  

4 minutes ago, sherryf said:

Wow that was quick!  And better numbers than I expected.  Thank you so much!

Ii have a great relationship with Guest Services.  They will answer every question (so far).

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 10:27 PM, Crew News said:

I will pass on your cons to Vanessa, Guest Relations, tomorrow since I am 

Hi.  This has nothing to do with this particular post, but I ve been following your excellent reviews and you are very knowledgeable.  We're boarding the NS next week on the 12th for a 2 week B2B. I seem to recall seeing your post re Grand Turk canceled the week of the 19th. Do you know what port they replaced it with? I've been trying to access their website all day and it seems they're doing some work on it, it's been inaccessible all day.

Steve

Day 07 was a sunny day on Half Moon Cay and no brotchen in Club Orange.  The highlight of my day was a visit to my Club Orange table at dinner by Renaldo, Cellar Master, with Christmas Eve and New Years eve menus.  Lobster, at no extra charge, found its way onto the holiday menus.  

Other news from the ship is the rotation of Specialty Restaurant Managers and Hosts/Hostesses.  The new management of the PG promised a great experience for all starting on December 7th.

The hours for Club Orange breakfast will be 6:30 - 8:00 AM on Embarkation Day.

Received a letter announcing Delft tiles will be mailed to passenger home addresses on file.

Results of answers to questions will not be repeated here if posted earlier.

The network connection is now repeating the same spotty behavior as last week so further reports may be delayed.

More from my second week later.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Received a letter announcing Delft tiles will be mailed to passenger home addresses on file.

We got that letter on our September Alaska NA sailing; still waiting for the tiles.

15 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

We got that letter on our September Alaska NA sailing; still waiting for the tiles.

If each tile cost $1 to mail, that cost must be huge for HAL. 

What happened to all of the tiles not presented the past two years? One of the furloughed HAL employees probably knows.

8 hours ago, Crew News said:

Thanksgiving week on Nieuw Amsterdam we received tiles for Vista class ships! I used HAL's Website to let Mariner Society know I was disappointed to not receive tile for Signature ships - no reply as yet.

Edited by Cruise Suzy

We were also on the ship and enjoyed your review.  Our impression was similar except that the food was a bit below expectations and the entertainment was better.  I would rather have the entertainment than great food so fine with me.  The dancers performed 4 nights and got even better each night.  We had one movie night, one BBC night with the Lincoln center group playing and one night of Holland history plus the usual music venues.  Jeremy, the CD did some enjoyable lectures on sea days.  There were also at least 2 cooking shows and a variety of other usual events.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 1:15 PM, k9hndler said:

Just Back and really enjoyed The Ship and Holland America.  Here are the Pluses and a FEW minuses

PLUS

1.  Food was superb, in the Lido, Dutch Cafe,  private island, and the Main dinning room. In Quality, taste and preparation, it was the best we have had afloat, and would compare it over  Princess and Celebrity easily. 

2.  SERVICE was amazing.  From the Lido staff (Never needed a drink refilled, plate removed or new silverware the entire cruise)to Room steward, Retreat and spa staff, to Dinning room and deck crew, we were humbled and pleased with the Service all over the ship. 

3.  Dancers and Music  were amazing.  The Dance troop (Step One) was fantastic, even my 16 YO DD LOVED them.  

4.  The SUPERB ship herself.  Satendam was clean, bright and beautiful, with ART and decorations everywhere, opulence and class, without being flashy.  

5.  Ship lay out was simple, easy and quick to navigate.  Elevators were plentiful and waits where short.  

6.  The Deli, Ice Cream and Burger stands were GREAT, with simply the BEST hotdog afloat (Nathans).  

7.  ALL NFL games were played on the room TV or the Main pool screen.  NICE!

8.  EASY off and EASIER on.  From drop off to state room (Already ready for us) was 30 minutes, our best time yet.  BAGS beat us there!

9.  Gym was well stocked and not over crowded.  

10.  In Room tech was GREAT, easy to check bill (more on that later), activities and all other cruising matters on TV or navigator APP on phone.  

11.  Retreat/Adults only Sanctuary was a HUGE hit for the wife.  We rented a Cabana for the week and used it OFTEN.  Service there was AWESOME.

12.  Morning coffee and Danish (or light breakfast)delivered to your stateroom every morning.  WONDEFUL.   Coffee all over the ship (including Ledo) is BREWED and not that giant Keurig style machines other lines have,  

Just a FEW cons;

1.  We had at LEAST 8 charges to our account (Hence Check your statement often) that were wrong, but staff DID correct fairly quickly when we caught it.  

2.  Hours on Dinning room, Late Nights snack and OTHER eating venues were limited and fairly rigid.  Lido closed usually at 8-8:30 pm and did not reopen till 10:30 pm for "Snacks" for one hour.   Deli, Pizza, Hamburgers and Cafe all closed before 11 pm, and sometimes a LOT earlier.  When questioned staff would steer you to in room dinning, which was okay, but who wants to eat in your ROOM?

3.  Dinning room service times were LONG and slow, with meals lasting 2 hours plus sometimes.  Staffing concerns are probably the issue here.  Our Stateroom attendant and his partner had 30 rooms to service,  up from their usual 26.  The Dining staff probably the same.  

4.  Soda/Beverage programs are HARD to keep track, and many of the workers unsure what is included and what's not (hence many charges we did not expect).  Again, adjustments were made quick, and sometimes just with a phone call from the room and results visible on the TV screen account statement.  

5.  Port Royal Jamaica  (Don't bother, just stay on and enjoy the ship.)  

Overall, a WONDERFUL, pleasant and relaxing cruise.  We will HAL in the future for sure.  Great Job.   

Thanks for a nice concise report.

6 hours ago, mustgo said:

We were also on the ship and enjoyed your review.  Our impression was similar except that the food was a bit below expectations and the entertainment was better.  I would rather have the entertainment than great food so fine with me.  The dancers performed 4 nights and got even better each night.  We had one movie night, one BBC night with the Lincoln center group playing and one night of Holland history plus the usual music venues.  Jeremy, the CD did some enjoyable lectures on sea days.  There were also at least 2 cooking shows and a variety of other usual events.

My bad.  I was on Niew Amsterdam, not Niew Statendam.  Senior moment!

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 11:11 AM, sevenseasnomad said:

Since our last cruise was Christmas/New Year's 2019, is cleaning the cabin only once a day something new?  Is there no turn-down service at night anymore?  Does it cost extra to have the room serviced twice a day?  Please advise, as we board Rotterdam Dec. 22.  If it makes a difference, we are 4* and CO.  Thanks for the information.

I was told "Most passengers prefer once a day" 😉.  I replied that I would like twice a day, & it was no problem.  Gave our cabin stewards a good review on app midway through trip, & some extra at the end.   They kept our cabin exactly the way I like..  clean, with fresh towels.   

Ask & you shall receive, we were in an ordinary verandah cabin & are 1 star.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

I was told "Most passengers prefer once a day" 😉.  I replied that I would like twice a day, & it was no problem.  Gave our cabin stewards a good review on app midway through trip, & some extra at the end.   They kept our cabin exactly the way I like..  clean, with fresh towels.   

Ask & you shall receive, we were in an ordinary verandah cabin & are 1 star.

Yes, that is the excuse that they are using for everything.  Just like on the have it all they said customers prefer shorex credit to gratuities.  I think they are lucky that their names aren't Pinocchio.

• Haha 1

Florida_gal_50, funny you should mention the shore excursions. On celebrity, when you pick the Elevate, you get $150.00 pp for what they say is shore excursions, but it's really OBC that can be used pre cruise or on board for anything.

20 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

I was told "Most passengers prefer once a day"

And, Santa Claus will be coming through my front door this Christmas Eve.  

23 hours ago, Crew News said:

Orange parties are on hold for awhile.

Let's put these "parties" on the extinct list.  How about a return to Dutch Night?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

Florida_gal_50, funny you should mention the shore excursions. On celebrity, when you pick the Elevate, you get $150.00 pp for what they say is shore excursions, but it's really OBC that can be used pre cruise or on board for anything.

I wish that was the case with hal.  You had to pre book it as far as I could see.  I booked at shorex for $65 and lost the other $35.  I ended up canceling that shorex and ended up  “losing” the entire $100 in total.