Refund if test positive before boarding

daddyslittle girl

Yes, if you are sailing by April 30, 2022.  After that, the standard cancellation policy applies unless  Celebrity extends the Covid Assistance program.

In the absence of  Covid Assistance, you’d need travel insurance for reimbursement in case of cancellation for covered reasons. Many policies cover Covid as any other illness.

10 minutes ago, daddyslittle girl said:

If you test positive  48 hrs before boardgames you eligible for refund from celebrity?

Just an editing note. If it’s less than 15 minutes after you post something, you can edit your comments by clicking on the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner, and then select edit.

It's very poorly managed. Here's my ongoing experience with their "assistance"...

I had a 10/30 sailing scheduled. My friend who was traveling with me tested positive on 10/28 as part of the mandatory testing pre-boarding. I called Celebrity who then referred me back to my TA. Fine - get on with the TA, have them call X, X rep says that I can expect a refund back to my credit card, just email them with the positive test. Did that immediately. Also put a dispute on the credit card (sort of a spur of the moment booking, saw no reason to pay for a trip that would be refunded in a timely manner...).

11/20 receive an email that I can only expect future cruise credit, but the certificates won't be ready for 30–45 days. Not thrilled with this change in what was promised, but not surprised. Tried to apply to a cruise (long ago lifted and shifted), but X reps unhelpful. TA also unable to help.

Another complication is the FCC gets split between the travelers - irregardless of who paid. The canceled trip was with one friend, the upcoming one is with another. I'm the one handling payment for both. UGH.

In case you'd wonder about the credit card dispute, it was resolved in X's favor, with even worse results - said I'd canceled after the sailing and thus forfeited the full fare. I'm not sure I believe in trip insurance, but this might change my mind.

Here is the currrent X Info:

Covid-19 Assistance

Book a Celebrity cruise that’s sailing on or before April 30, 2022 and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge:

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Traveling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.**
  • Pro-rated cruise fare refund for anyone who has their cruise cut short due to testing positive for COVID-19 or being suspected of having COVID-19 during the cruise.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the cost of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and homebound travel for you and your Traveling Party.

And I’m not aware of specifics, but it’s usually best Not to do a credit card dispute on something such as this. It causes more issues than ‘fixes’ when there really isn’t dispute.

den

• Thanks 1

I'm sure they want to issue FCC but I would think the TA should be able to push for refund.  I'd be escalating to LPP's office if necessary.  The policy above clearly states refund.

Here is the current full policy which states refund must be requested within 6 months or FCC will be issued.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/cel-covid-19-cancellations-and-refunds-policy.pdf

3 hours ago, justforfuneh said:

It's very poorly managed. Here's my ongoing experience with their "assistance"...

I had a 10/30 sailing scheduled. My friend who was traveling with me tested positive on 10/28 as part of the mandatory testing pre-boarding. I called Celebrity who then referred me back to my TA. Fine - get on with the TA, have them call X, X rep says that I can expect a refund back to my credit card, just email them with the positive test. Did that immediately. Also put a dispute on the credit card (sort of a spur of the moment booking, saw no reason to pay for a trip that would be refunded in a timely manner...).

11/20 receive an email that I can only expect future cruise credit, but the certificates won't be ready for 30–45 days. Not thrilled with this change in what was promised, but not surprised. Tried to apply to a cruise (long ago lifted and shifted), but X reps unhelpful. TA also unable to help.

Another complication is the FCC gets split between the travelers - irregardless of who paid. The canceled trip was with one friend, the upcoming one is with another. I'm the one handling payment for both. UGH.

In case you'd wonder about the credit card dispute, it was resolved in X's favor, with even worse results - said I'd canceled after the sailing and thus forfeited the full fare. I'm not sure I believe in trip insurance, but this might change my mind.

A claim against a credit card should be action of last resort, not first. It should only be done when you have exhausted your attempts to resolve things with the cruise line. It is only likely to be successful when you document that the cruise line or any other business has failed to live up to their written terms of purchase.  In this case the only way the challenge would have succeeded is if the cruise line failed to respond, which clearly they did not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Disputing with a credit card while you are working with the company is not ideal.  Especially one that is responding back to you and assisting you.  The dispute gets pushed to the company almost immediately and they will push back for something like a cruise fare.  It’s usually handled by a special department that looks at the fact / contract.  It hurts your chances of getting a good resolution and should only be used as last resort no other options.

4 hours ago, nocl said:

A claim against a credit card should be action of last resort, not first. It should only be done when you have exhausted your attempts to resolve things with the cruise line. It is only likely to be successful when you document that the cruise line or any other business has failed to live up to their written terms of purchase.  In this case the only way the challenge would have succeeded is if the cruise line failed to respond, which clearly they did not.

exactly. You need to provide written proof of your demand and their refusal.

14 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Here is the currrent X Info:

Covid-19 Assistance

Book a Celebrity cruise that’s sailing on or before April 30, 2022 and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge:

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Traveling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.**
  • Pro-rated cruise fare refund for anyone who has their cruise cut short due to testing positive for COVID-19 or being suspected of having COVID-19 during the cruise.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the cost of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and homebound travel for you and your Traveling Party.

And I’m not aware of specifics, but it’s usually best Not to do a credit card dispute on something such as this. It causes more issues than ‘fixes’ when there really isn’t dispute.

den

Den or others on this thread-

Do you have an understanding of what happens if you do a test once you get to the port city like FLL as many are doing these days and you test positive the day before embarkation?  I know that the refund rules apply.  But if you cannot board the ship and are COVID+ what do you do?  Easy if you drove to the port- just drive home and quarantine.  But what if you flew in?  How do you get home or how do you find a place to quarantine?   I don't think Celebrity covers this- unless perhaps you used Flights by Celebrity?  Travel insurance might cover but it still begs the question of where do you go?   I wonder how many would just get back on a flight and be dishonest about their COVID status?  This exact situation must be happening with the number of people now testing in the port city.

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Do you have an understanding of what happens if you do a test once you get to the port city like FLL as many are doing these days and you test positive the day before embarkation?  I know that the refund rules apply.  But if you cannot board the ship and are COVID+ what do you do?  Easy if you drove to the port- just drive home and quarantine.  But what if you flew in?  How do you get home or how do you find a place to quarantine?   I don't think Celebrity covers this- unless perhaps you used Flights by Celebrity?  Travel insurance might cover but it still begs the question of where do you go?   I wonder how many would just get back on a flight and be dishonest about their COVID status?  This exact situation must be happening with the number of people now testing in the port city.

You are on your own in that case. If you booked flights through Celebrity they will cover the change fees but that is the extent of it. They will not pay for your quarantine costs. If it's really a concern, do the $12 at home rapid test before you head to the airport. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I don't think either a cruise line or airline would help you out here. I would assume that you'd have to check into a hotel and self-quarantine. certainly not ideal, but no other choices I suppose. Although I suspect many would just fly back home and the hell with anyone else they expose. So many people disappoint when it comes to right vs what's best for me.

I would test at home with the non proctored test kit so I know the result before I fly down to the port and test there to avoid the flying issue.  Since it’s 2 days before embarkation I usually do the rapid test somewhere near the house so I have the result before I fly down there the day before the cruise.  I would not want to stress myself to do the test the day before at a port far away from home to find out the result.

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Once you test positive and are denied boarding, you are referred to the local health authorities who assign you to a contracted quarantine facility. At least that is the way it was explained to me by a Windstar agent. We are sailing with them in May, but they have no refund or covid assistance policy. I, too, wanted to know what to do.

The cruise line is bound by port agreements to report positive cases so they don’t just put you on the sidewalk with your suitcase. Local authorities take over because you are not allowed to use public transportation or hotels as a known positive case.

Your travel insurance will cover this, but you need to have documentation from the health department. A positive test alone will not suffice. The quarantine expenses will be covered by the Trip Delay clause in your policy. Be sure you look for the most generous benefits to cover 10 days. The Trip Interruption clause will cover lost days and expenses to get home once you are allowed to travel. 

16 hours ago, Babr said:

Once you test positive and are denied boarding, you are referred to the local health authorities who assign you to a contracted quarantine facility. At least that is the way it was explained to me by a Windstar agent. We are sailing with them in May, but they have no refund or covid assistance policy. I, too, wanted to know what to do.

The cruise line is bound by port agreements to report positive cases so they don’t just put you on the sidewalk with your suitcase. Local authorities take over because you are not allowed to use public transportation or hotels as a known positive case.

Your travel insurance will cover this, but you need to have documentation from the health department. A positive test alone will not suffice. The quarantine expenses will be covered by the Trip Delay clause in your policy. Be sure you look for the most generous benefits to cover 10 days. The Trip Interruption clause will cover lost days and expenses to get home once you are allowed to travel. 

Thank you.  This is the information I was looking for as I never want to leave anything to chance.  I know you can do a quick test at home to improve the odds before you fly.  Lots of people do this and that is the common response to this question.  But after precautions, if I am unlucky and test positive after flying into the port city, I want to know how it is handled logistically and operationally.  Thank you.  I think that has likely happened to a number of people since cruising restarted so hoping to hear about their direct experience.

16 hours ago, Babr said:

If you read the CSO document (which is optional for Florida sailings), I don't think this is the case. The last thing they want is for to you to test positive then show up at the pier with your bags asking what to do next. You are not considered a positive case unless you are on the ship or tested at the pier. 'Embarkation day' testing is pretty clearly stated. This also makes sense as to why all of the big US lines are pushing on-your-own testing 2 days ahead. Celebrity's own protocols are also silent on this scenario because they aren't going to do anything except help you rebook flights. And that's only if you book through them.  

36 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

If you read the CSO document (which is optional for Florida sailings), I don't think this is the case. The last thing they want is for to you to test positive then show up at the pier with your bags asking what to do next. You are not considered a positive case unless you are on the ship or tested at the pier. 'Embarkation day' testing is pretty clearly stated. This also makes sense as to why all of the big US lines are pushing on-your-own testing 2 days ahead. Celebrity's own protocols are also silent on this scenario because they aren't going to do anything except help you rebook flights. And that's only if you book through them.  

In the case of Windstar, the test is administered by the cruise line at embarkation so it is not as if I am showing up as a known positive. I plan to test before leaving home so I can save myself the trouble of flying to California only to be turned away and spend the next ten days in a cheap hotel eating the equivalent of take-out food.

As the agent explained it, a second test will be administered for confirmation if the first is positive. If it still shows positive, we’ll be denied boarding and an agent will be on hand to direct us to the proper authorities for further instructions. At that point, it is in the hands of the local authorities.

Once that detail is attended to, the next concern is insurance. Since I bought third-party coverage, I was careful to get maximum benefits for Trip Delay because that is the provision that will pay for the hotel, meals, and incidentals. The Trip Interruption portion provides 150% of the cost of the trip. It will cover unused days, which at that point is the entire cruise, and additional the cost to return home. The key is to get documentation of medically ordered quarantine.

It seems the procedure described to me still does not answer the question of those who fly in early and test positive in the port city prior to embarkation. It is an important question to ask Celebrity directly. They can’t rebook air for immediate return if they know you are positive so they owe you an explanation of how to proceed if the worst happens. 

1 minute ago, Babr said:

It seems the procedure described to me still does not answer the question of those who fly in early and test positive in the port city prior to embarkation. It is an important question to ask Celebrity directly. They can’t rebook air for immediate return if they know you are positive so they owe you an explanation of how to proceed if the worst happens. 

Yes agree.  Or somebody needs to explain the options.  Maybe different for different states and ports too.

Travel insurance isn't cheap but well worthwhile.  We use Allianz which has a superb reputation.  Years ago we got stuck in Puerto Rico because of a snowstorm in the Northeast where we live.  Promptly got a refund for our hotel, taxi and meals until we could get home.