New Omicron travel restrictions

Idaho Breeze

I'm wondering if NCL will be required to implement new procedures to meet new travel restrictions just implemented as a result of the Omicron variant? Will we have to test before disembarking on return to U.S.? What will happen if tested positive? Any information available on this yet? 

3 minutes ago, Idaho Breeze said:

I'm wondering if NCL will be required to implement new procedures to meet new travel restrictions just implemented as a result of the Omicron variant? Will we have to test before disembarking on return to U.S.? What will happen if tested positive? Any information available on this yet? 

There are no restrictions to implement

• Like 1

It's a good question. If airline passengers have to have a negative test to enter the United States from a foreign country, will cruise ship passengers also have to test negative to disembark the ship in the USA after having visited foreign countries???

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

It's a good question. If airline passengers have to have a negative test to enter the United States from a foreign country, will cruise ship passengers also have to test negative to disembark the ship in the USA after having visited foreign countries???

Airline passengers have always had to test negative or be vaccinated to enter the united states. Before vaccines, everyone had to test. Nothing new here except that vaccinated flyers now need to test. 

N/A to cruise ships

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Idaho Breeze said:

I’m wondering the same thing.  I think NCL needs some time to review and see if the restrictions apply to cruisers.  We are sailing next week on the Dawn so I’ve been trying to get the latest updates.  

8 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Airline passengers have always had to test negative or be vaccinated to enter the united states. Before vaccines, everyone had to test. Nothing new here except that vaccinated flyers now need to test. 

N/A to cruise ships

Any impacts will come from the Ports of Call, not the cruise line

59 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

N/A to cruise ships

Just a slight correction...vaxed passengers had to get a neg test too. The real change is from 3 days to 1 day...again, like you said, only for air...not cruise or land.

So, drive into Canada and drive back, no test needed to reenter the US. Cruise to the Caribbean and cruise back, no test needed to reenter the US.

However in both cases, if you fly, you need a neg test. The change is now from 3 days to 1.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

Is there any link with the new regulations?

I checked google but couldn`t find anything.

For me as german guy this would be very interesting and important.

thanks.

It's going to take a day or two for the actual regulations to be published.

1 hour ago, CruiseMH said:

Is there any link with the new regulations?

I checked google but couldn`t find anything.

For me as german guy this would be very interesting and important.  thanks.

US-CDC hasn't updated its official website link with the latest guidance and regulations, yet - but, this is the link, check back tomorrow and over this weekend, as they go into effect at midnight EDT, next Monday. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel/index.html

7 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

thanks to all.

NCL requires a test max. 48 hours before boarding anyway,so as i embark sunday i need the test to be made friday afternoon earliest.My flight departs saturday,so practically it is no difference for me.

I thought it was 72 hours?! I am getting tested Thursday night before heading to Miami for a cruise that leaves Sunday. Did the time frame for testing change?

I got an e-mail from NCL stating that everybody has to show a negative test at the time of check-in that is max. 48 hours old. There was also some discussion about it on the NCL board.Some users posted the exact text of the mail.

I would like to do it right now but my mail is in german so it wouldn`t help you that much. 😉

1 hour ago, Diane67B said:

I thought it was 72 hours?! I am getting tested Thursday night before heading to Miami for a cruise that leaves Sunday. Did the time frame for testing change?

I just read on their web site that it's within 96 hours of the cruise date. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

thanks to all.

NCL requires a test max. 48 hours before boarding anyway,so as i embark sunday i need the test to be made friday afternoon earliest.My flight departs saturday,so practically it is no difference for me.

2 hours ago, Diane67B said:

42 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

I got an e-mail from NCL stating that everybody has to show a negative test at the time of check-in that is max. 48 hours old. There was also some discussion about it on the NCL board.Some users posted the exact text of the mail.

I would like to do it right now but my mail is in german so it wouldn`t help you that much. 😉

37 minutes ago, Chinacat63 said:

The requirements vary based on your embarkation date, where you're embarking and where you're cruising to. So when one person says "A", another "B" and a third says "C" each could be correct for their own cruise.

For example cruises boarding in Europe may have different requirements than cruises boarding in the US. Cruises making a port call in Bermuda have substantial additional requirements beyond what NCL and the CDC mandate. Cruises embarking on or after January 17 have different requirements than cruises embarking through January 16.

You have to look at NCL's specific instructions for your exact cruise and not what someone else says is required for the cruise they're taking.

And or those of you flying internationally to the US the CDC's testing requirements have changed effective December 6, with a negative test taken no more than one calendar day before your flight being required.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

The requirements vary based on your embarkation date, where you're embarking and where you're cruising to. So when one person says "A", another "B" and a third says "C" each could be correct for their own cruise.

For example cruises boarding in Europe may have different requirements than cruises boarding in the US. Cruises making a port call in Bermuda have substantial additional requirements beyond what NCL and the CDC mandate. Cruises embarking on or after January 17 have different requirements than cruises embarking through January 16.

You have to look at NCL's specific instructions for your exact cruise and not what someone else says is required for the cruise they're taking.

And or those of you flying internationally to the US the CDC's testing requirements have changed effective December 6, with a negative test taken no more than one calendar day before your flight being required.

The person I was responding to was leaving from Miami this Sunday.  Therefore, I told her what I read for that circumstance.

Thank you

3 hours ago, Diane67B said:

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Chinacat63 said:

The person I was responding to was leaving from Miami this Sunday.  Therefore, I told her what I read for that circumstance.

Thank you

The reference to a 96 hour out test is as an "added precaution", not a required test.

• Like 4

The title of this tread is so misleading.  Perhaps it should have asked a question instead of implying there are "new restrictions."

The cruise industry is the safest place to be.  They require proof of vaccination and test at the port.  I would not see any changes coming. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, njhorseman said:

The reference to a 96 hour out test is as an "added precaution", not a required test.

Right.  There are different rules depending on where you're coming from and where you're going to.  For US citizens leaving from a US port, today, only the port test is truly mandatory.  I'm doing the 96 hour pre-test  because I don't want to get on a plane if I can't get on the ship.  Also, there's a slight but non-zero chance I could test negative then positive and at least NCL would assist with quarantine expenses in that event.  

Even if I were driving to the port, I'd test.  There are enough free tests around; I got one today because I've gone into full hypochondriac mode in advance of my cruise and woke up with the sniffles.  That's just me and there's no significant economic benefit to doing so because I'd just drive home.  But there's a hassle to packing, driving a couple hours, etc. that could be avoided.  Plus, I'd hate to be at the port all pumped to get on the ship and be turned away (sad trombone sound.)

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, njhorseman said:

It is required if you want assistance if you are denied boarding due to failing your test. 

that (96 hour test) all changes in a few weeks when NCL discontinues testing and requires that you come with your own test (48 hour).  

43 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

It is required if you want assistance if you are denied boarding due to failing your test. 

that (96 hour test) all changes in a few weeks when NCL discontinues testing and requires that you come with your own test (48 hour).  

Yes, but we're talking about testing that is required to cruise, which this is not. It's optional just as buying trip cancellation and interruption insurance is optional. Some of the posters to whom I was responding didn't seem to be drawing a distinction between required testing and optional testing, each of which serves a different purpose.

• Like 1