Thoughts on tentative inland itinerary?

JSSpence

After postponing from 2021 to 2022, we (myself, husband, and 10 yo son) are scheduled to cruise one -way from Seward to Vancouver in June. We’re planning to rent a car for our own in-land trip before the cruise. Right now, we’re thinking of flying in to Anchorage, so Night 1 in Anchorage, Nights 2-4 around Denali (to allow for two full days at the park), Night 5 in the Girdwood/Alyeska area (so we can do the Wildlife Conservation Center and maybe gold mining), Night 6 back in Anchorage, and then take the train to Seward on cruise departure day. Does this sound reasonable/good to those of you who have been before?

I will leave others to comment on the core of your plan. We have done similar. One question, have u looked into doing the glacier tour in College Fjord on the day of your cruise from Whittier? It coordinates with the rail.

Since you have a 10 year old he would probably enjoy learning about the dogs that run the Iditarod at Jeff Kings Husky Homestead at Denali Nat’l Park and also attending the free demo of the dogs that work in the national park.  The requirements in selection and training of the dogs are very different.  At Jeff Kings everyone gets to hold a puppy.  

You’d certainly have time to do Denali but have to wonder if it’s worth spending that much time, or anytime really, at Denali. The road is closed at mile 43 due to a rock slide. It takes 5 hours from Anchorage if traffic is good to get to Denali.  There is just so much good stuff to do in south central Alaska that you won’t be able to do.  Ashland’s suggestion of dropping the car in Seward is good although the drop fees are crazy.

33 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

You’d certainly have time to do Denali but have to wonder if it’s worth spending that much time, or anytime really, at Denali. The road is closed at mile 43 due to a rock slide. It takes 5 hours from Anchorage if traffic is good to get to Denali.  There is just so much good stuff to do in south central Alaska that you won’t be able to do.  Ashland’s suggestion of dropping the car in Seward is good although the drop fees are crazy.

Thanks - we’ve been wondering too about the Denali factor. My husband wants to do some easy hiking. What would you suggest we concentrate on in south central Alaska in that time instead? The super high drop fees are basically what are deterring us from trying to drop in Seward vs returning to Anchorage.

Girdwood has a nice hike, fairly easy, in the Winner Creek Trail also the shorter Virgin Creek Falls.   If the weather is clear the tram ride is good at Alyeska.  Just down the road from Girdwood is the turn off to Whittier and Portage Glacier.  Whittier requires going through the tunnel although there is a quick cruise to Portage Glacier from this area and it has been pretty reasonable in the past. Near there is the Byron Glacier Trail that is flat and ends at an avalanche area and view of Byron Glacier.  The Trail of Ice follows the road along a boardwalk which is nice for a stroll with good views of the hanging glaciers up in the mountains. As mentioned, the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is in the general are and a good stop. 

Our favorite excursion in the area is the Spencer Whistle Stop. We’ve been out several times when we lived in Anchorage and did the Placer River Float.  Really a good experience. You must travel by train from Anchorage, Girdwood or the Portage stop which is a few miles south of Girdwood. From there it’s a 30 minute train ride to the whistle stop and a flat ranger-led, short, hike to Spencer Lake. You can also just go off by yourself as well although you need to watch your time as you must catch the train back.

And, then there’s Seward where I would suggest a least one overnight. Get out on the water. It’s a good place for wildlife.  Exit Glacier, as mentioned.   You may want to consider keeping the car and exploring the area but not drive all the way to Seward. Head back to Anchorage as you thought, drop the car, and then take the train to Seward.  You’ll have already explored Turnagain Arm, et al and the train is a good trip with scenery you would not get any other way as it heads through the Placer Valley

And then there’s Matanuska Glacier to the north east of Anchorage which some have mentioned is there favorite excursion during their Alaska trip. One of mine too.

This is pretty subjective but some of our favorite activities in the area when we lived in Anchorage.

5 hours ago, JSSpence said:

Thanks - we’ve been wondering too about the Denali factor. My husband wants to do some easy hiking. What would you suggest we concentrate on in south central Alaska in that time instead? The super high drop fees are basically what are deterring us from trying to drop in Seward vs returning to Anchorage.

High drop fees...understand your reasons now. Enjoy your trip.

This is Matanuska Glacier 2014. Drive about 2 hrs from ANC to within walking distance of glacier. Then stop at the musk ox farm in Palmer on the way back and maybe Iditarod headquarters in Wasilla. Not sure what c-19 has done to any of these tours. 

sightcrr

DSC03255.JPG

As someone who lives about a two hour drive north of the entrance of Denali National Park I have always thought that folks who choose not to go into the park as far as Eielson Visitor's Center(mile 66) shortchange their Denali experience.  With the single park road closed at Pretty Rocks (mile 42) I question whether it is worth while to go to the park, but this is a very individual decision.  If our OP decides to spend nights 2 through 4 at the park, they may consider the Mountain Vista trails.

In addition to the excellent ideas offered by SightCRR I would add considering a visit to Hatcher Pass and Independence Mine State Historical Park.

But I have yet another idea for consideration -- with the amount of time available to our OP would they be interested in a visit to Kennecott and McCarthy.  The Wrangell - St. Elias National Park and Preserve is one of the most attractive parts of our state.  A night in Valdez would also be possible.   Goggle W-SENP&P for a number of websites.

Consider the car rental terminating point in Anchorage eliminating those Drop Charges

and taking the train on the day of the cruise.

Hotel overnight near train depot (6:45am departure)

If doing this book the train and hotel WAY in advance - cruise day is a zoo and a mob of

cruise guests !

Alaska RR LINK:

Alaska Railroad | Alaskan Tours & Vacations | Train Packages

-OR-

Take the train the day before the cruise and hotel in Seward -

Rent a car for the day at Seward 

Book this too in advance

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2021 at 6:31 PM, cruisingrandy said:

We have done inland getting car ANC and dropping in Fairbanks but have you checked rental car prices for your time period? WE are going again in May and prices are Crazy

especially for different drop off.  I am flying in fairbanks and planned on dropping the car off in whittier for my cruise but the price for a 5 night 6 day rental from avis was 1200.  So I decided to stay in fairbanks do arctic circle, chenna hot springs and denali then return to car as a fairbanks to fairbanks rental.  Rent another car and drive to talkeetna for the day and night and return the car in whittier.  Total cost 800.