250 Cruisers protest -on Horizon - 1000 cruisers sign petition- broken engine, lost 2 ports, only $100 paltry refund

rww789

5 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Hurt feelings obviously. May be throw in a discrimination claim or two for good measure.

I get approached with those type of cases/questions all the time.  Usually it is preceded by "money is no object" which translates to "I am perfectly willing to waste  your time and money".  Oddly enough, no one ever actually is willing to pay the retainer to have me bring the lawsuit.  Things like this and slander on Facebook are just money pits where people want to complain but never actually put their own time or money behind it.  

OP talked it being reported and like others, I have to laugh.  There are so many restrictions and requirements on passenger lines that saying it was reported means absolutely nothing.  Especially if no law was broken!  I was on that ship the week before and I can attest that I never saw or heard of anything wrong (entirely possible they kept it quiet but since we met all our time goals, it would surprise me).  

As for class action suits, well those are nothing but a way for lawyers to make big fees.  If you have not read John Grisham's book "The King of Torts", you should and it will answer a lot for you about class action lawsuits.  

I received a gift card from Amazon for less than $10 for the last class action suit I qualified for. OTOH, my "limited" lifetime subscription to Sirius ended up becoming a unlimited lifetime subscription, which is really worth something to me. I don't see a class action suit out of this, but I think the reward at the end would be a negative amount, so unlikely to go forward.

A few years ago one of the CCL ships we were on lost propulsion in 1 engine.  We left San Juan early, missed 2 ports - one being St. Thomas, where a number of couples onboard were getting married.  They ended up getting married on the ship - however, that did not help their family members who had flown to ST to meet them for the wedding.  We limped back to Miami, making port at around 3 a.m. the morning we were supposed to arrive.  All passengers were given free internet and phone calls and drinks the last 2 days of the cruise, and a 50% refund of our cruise fare.  Also obc, but I don't remember how much - $50 pp rings a bell.  It is up to Carnival to decide how much compensation they give to cruisers.  In reality, they don't have to give anything.

Edited by pe4all

The fact of the matter is that Carnival Cruise Main office had prior knowledge of the engine (speed) mechanical issue prior to November 27 - December 5 passengers embarking onto this cruise ship.  The picture with the duck is from November 21 a passenger who sail prior to us capturing the very same engine problem Carnival is trying to state as new. The other with the Jacuzzi's on both sides is from 11/27/21 cruise and these pictures of exhaust against the ocean are identical. The engine is pushing hard from the right side and weak or barely on the left side. Therefore, this mechanical failure with the speed was a preexisting condition.

Moreover, yes we all signed a contract when we booked our cruise; a binding contract between ourselves and Carnival which all parties must adhere to. Furthermore, in section 8(d) of Carnival contract it DOES say that carnival has the right to change or adjust the itinerary for a number of reasons YES THAT IS TRUE. However, directly after states the various reasons it says EXCEPT ( and I quote "EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN CLAUSE 8(C) WITH RESPECT TO MECHANICAL FAILURES"), which means ALL those reasons are NO LONGER VALID.

Continuing to Clause 8(c) which states: Carnival has the right without previous notice to cancel contract at the port of embarkation or any time during the voyage, and SHALL thereupon RETURN TO THE GUEST, if the contract is completely canceled, his Cruise Fare, OR if the contract is PARTIALLY CANCELED a PROPORTIONATE PART thereof (as highlighted for those who are saying we should have read the contract maybe you all should try better to comprehend what the contract clearly states in regards to this matter.).

All 11/27/21 - 12/5/21 passengers have not been justly compensated or reimbursed a portion of our funds already expended. The contract express that carnival owes there guest a PROPORTION thereof for the 2 ports missed due to the mechanical we experienced partially throughout our sail.

Also on carnival cruise ships very own STATEROOM TV this photo was captured emphasizing that CARNIVAL "Guarantees REFUND for cancellations or missed ports". So why haven't we received a refund? Guest should NOT be the only ones who have to abide by the contract.

In closing, how is it fair to us passengers that were on board dealing with the results of the mechanical problem do not receive half of a refund for half the ports missed. Yet, 12/5/21 and 12/11/21 is treated fairly according to carnival contract by being fully reimbursed their fares, as 8(c) expressed, and have been extended 100% Future Cruise Credit due to the same speed problems we dealt with while on board. It is only right that CARNIVAL refund HALF of the guest fares due to HALF of the ports being canceled.

FAIR is FAIR!!!  and what's FAIR is in CARNIVAL's contract A PROPORTIONATE PART THEREOF!

I'm not here to argue matters of Opinion's because we are all entitled to our own.

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1461.JPG

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1492.PNG

IMG_1473.jpg

• Haha 2

Uh, no.  It says that a passenger is entitled to compensation for a "partially cancelled" cruise, but the cruise was not "partially cancelled", was it?  Or did it make the same number of days, just without ports?  If it was the same number of days, there is no "proportional part" that is entitled as a refund.  The ticket contract stipulates that you are engaging Carnival for a voyage of a certain number of days, not a certain number of ports.  Removing days would entitle you to a refund, not removing ports.  But, you did get a refund for removal of ports, and that is what Carnival considers to be the "proportional" amount that ports are to the total cruise fare.

And, your reading of section 8D is incorrect.  That section says that if ports are cancelled, that the passengers are not entitled to any compensation, except that as outlined for mechanical reasons as outlined in 8C, the passengers are entitled to transportation home, if the cruise is terminated early.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Jimesha said:

The fact of the matter is that Carnival Cruise Main office had prior knowledge of the engine (speed) mechanical issue prior to November 27 - December 5 passengers embarking onto this cruise ship.  The picture with the duck is from November 21 a passenger who sail prior to us capturing the very same engine problem Carnival is trying to state as new. The other with the Jacuzzi's on both sides is from 11/27/21 cruise and these pictures of exhaust against the ocean are identical. The engine is pushing hard from the right side and weak or barely on the left side. Therefore, this mechanical failure with the speed was a preexisting condition.

Moreover, yes we all signed a contract when we booked our cruise; a binding contract between ourselves and Carnival which all parties must adhere to. Furthermore, in section 8(d) of Carnival contract it DOES say that carnival has the right to change or adjust the itinerary for a number of reasons YES THAT IS TRUE. However, directly after states the various reasons it says EXCEPT ( and I quote "EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN CLAUSE 8(C) WITH RESPECT TO MECHANICAL FAILURES"), which means ALL those reasons are NO LONGER VALID.

Continuing to Clause 8(c) which states: Carnival has the right without previous notice to cancel contract at the port of embarkation or any time during the voyage, and SHALL thereupon RETURN TO THE GUEST, if the contract is completely canceled, his Cruise Fare, OR if the contract is PARTIALLY CANCELED a PROPORTIONATE PART thereof (as highlighted for those who are saying we should have read the contract maybe you all should try better to comprehend what the contract clearly states in regards to this matter.).

All 11/27/21 - 12/5/21 passengers have not been justly compensated or reimbursed a portion of our funds already expended. The contract express that carnival owes there guest a PROPORTION thereof for the 2 ports missed due to the mechanical we experienced partially throughout our sail.

Also on carnival cruise ships very own STATEROOM TV this photo was captured emphasizing that CARNIVAL "Guarantees REFUND for cancellations or missed ports". So why haven't we received a refund? Guest should NOT be the only ones who have to abide by the contract.

In closing, how is it fair to us passengers that were on board dealing with the results of the mechanical problem do not receive half of a refund for half the ports missed. Yet, 12/5/21 and 12/11/21 is treated fairly according to carnival contract by being fully reimbursed their fares, as 8(c) expressed, and have been extended 100% Future Cruise Credit due to the same speed problems we dealt with while on board. It is only right that CARNIVAL refund HALF of the guest fares due to HALF of the ports being canceled.

FAIR is FAIR!!!  and what's FAIR is in CARNIVAL's contract A PROPORTIONATE PART THEREOF!

I'm not here to argue matters of Opinion's because we are all entitled to our own.

The cruise completed, the contract completed. It was not ended prematurely. No port is guaranteed.

Carnival used to provide a lump sum (maybe $50?) for a missed port but due to whining dropped it to port expenses which are a few dollars.

• Like 3

Guest BasicSailor
16 minutes ago, Jimesha said:

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1461.JPG

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1492.PNG

IMG_1473.jpg

Welcome to CruiseCritic  ! For you daily fun in the sun conversations and friendly chat's.

1 hour ago, Jimesha said:

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1461.JPG

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1492.PNG

IMG_1473.jpg

I think you missed the part that the cruise was NOT shortened. Ports were missed and more than compensated for. 

It's also in the contract you click to agree to before you can access your boarding pass. ..carnival has no further liability.

Again I've missed 1 or even 2 ports. Someone scheduled a wedding in jamaica. Ooops. She missed her wedding. We got back nothing except port fees. There is nothing in the contract which guarantees the ports. ... you missed that too. Carnival has the right to keep you safe and to skip ports. You agreed to these terms. Next time fly to where you have to be. You sound like a newbie. Someone who doesnt understand what they agreed to. 

Oh well I see blerk and chengkp both caught the newbie mistake. The cruise wasnt shortened, ports missed that the terms say arent guaranteed. ..I was typing too long and they both caught his mistake. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1