Problem on the breakaway in NO

seaman11

1 hour ago, Fredric22 said:

and also while sleeping...I heard. 

If I didn't know better I would bet you were an antivaxxer. That being said I heard, I believe this morning, that the new variant "Omicron" shares much of the same DNA as the common cold. So I wonder if it is going to basically be no worse than such.

• Like 2

My best advice is anyone who is freaked out by this story should not book any cruises.  No need to panic yourself and others..... just stay home.

We have done 3 cruises in the last 2 months and heading out for 24 days in Jan.....once we sail out we don't look back and second guess anything!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nymich said:

My best advice is anyone who is freaked out by this story should not book any cruises.  No need to panic yourself and others..... just stay home.

We have done 3 cruises in the last 2 months and heading out for 24 days in Jan.....once we sail out we don't look back and second guess anything!

This will be my second cruise coming up this week in 4 months and im only worried about  delays and tighter restrictions.  positive cases are bound to happen.  

• Like 10

51 minutes ago, roger001 said:

As I said, we each have a mask tolerance and recognize the need for them  for our many required activities, doctors, grocery, etc.  However, remember many, many current booked NCL guests, me included,  booked only and only because the cruises would be 100% vaccinated and NO masks.  Understanding circumstances can require sudden change  of masking requirements, this does not change the facts that many, many of us just can’t accept a masked cruise. Hopefully specifics will be determined early this week. 

Hopefully if they do change the mask requirements they will allow people to get refunds.  Personally I don’t mind the masks BUT I can absolutely see why others wouldn’t want to cruise with them.  Similarly if they changed the rule and no longer required vaccines I would feel just the same as you do.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Pamster said:

Can take several days to flip positive after exposure. Could have been infected traveling to NOLA out in the city. 

I agree with you- it’s so confusing .

When I go get tested, they say that you can catch it for up to 14 days after exposure and most likely on days 7 through 10.

I’ll wait to cruise till January 2023.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lyannea said:

I agree with you- it’s so confusing .

When I go get tested, they say that you can catch it for up to 14 days after exposure and most likely on days 7 through 10.

I’ll wait to cruise till January 2023.

My bet is Thanksgiving gatherings, early as  2 to 5 days after exposure and up to 10 to 14 days as max. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, seaman11 said:

m talking early detection by looking at it not a full genetic analysis which I know would take time to confirm . 

u left that part out . 

I left that part out because the only way to identify the specific Omicron variant IS to do a full genetic sequencing. In this case, it looks like it was sent to the state lab - also I had indicated since this is not a 'normal' type of test ran by any old regular lab.

27 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

ppl thinking that the cdc would not be all over this and get the positive swabs to a lab to detect the new strain are highly mistaken, thanks for the update

No one said they weren't doing it - what I was questioning was the timing. Since it's a crew member, my guess is the sample was taken off the ship at a port before they even reached New Orleans. But regardless, it's a moot point now.

• Thanks 1

I was on the 10/31 sailing of the Breakaway out of NYC and everyone except my girlfriend and I were pretty much mask-less the entire time. 

Despite being in The Haven and immunized / boosted we wore masks indoors except for eating and drinking, which is likely the route they have to take. 

Hopefully the ships get out of there by midnight with all the new rules. Also it's not ready as an eDoc because it was probably prepared in the last few hours along with their lawyers and OK'd by the CDC. 

Be safe and mask up. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, BennyBrun said:

Yikes…. This is getting a little worse but it seems like their safe sailing protocols are working.

There have been bigger "outbreaks" on other ships over Iast 6 months.  All of these people are reported to have no symptoms so certainly not worse with regards to severe outcomes. 

33 minutes ago, bbnmom said:

If I didn't know better I would bet you were an antivaxxer. That being said I heard, I believe this morning, that the new variant "Omicron" shares much of the same DNA as the common cold. So I wonder if it is going to basically be no worse than such.

Understanding the limitations of masks and making a joke about them doesn't make me an anti-vaxxer. Thanks for the inaccurate label though! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, vacationut said:

With the protection the vax gives waning at 6 months, I wonder when these had their second jab? As cases start to creep higher and higher as many go past the 6+ month mark, I hope boosters being required to cruise is on the horizon. 

And when were the crew last vaccinated, and with what (Johnson and Johnson does not last as long)

If everyone was asymptomatic, perhaps it was routine weekly testing of the crew that found the first case. 

• Like 1

The worst part is the people at the terminal waiting right now.  I am guessing they must be hungry / thirsty since you usually are expecting to eat lunch onboard and now it’s past dinner time.  I wonder if they are at least feeding them because being hangry is not good.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Here is where I read about protocols for those testing positive.

20211205_121237.jpg

So what are the details regarding how NCL supports people who test postive?  If you drove to the port, you can just drive home and quarantine there.  But what about passengers who fly?  Article above says "self-isolate in accommodations provided by the cruise line".  But does that mean that NCL pays for a hotel room?  Do they pay for your meals?  Do they pay to fly you back home?  If this was Royal Caribbean, the answer to each question is Yes.  But what does NCL do?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

No, you're not understanding. NGS is for public health surveillance and research only. Meaning 90% of labs do not do it, as there is no need - it doesn't change the treatment for the patient. The only people who care what strain it is are researchers and epidemiologists whose job it is to study such things.

Plus, the test is not done in just a few hours - even if a research lab agreed to let those 10 samples cut the line and skip ahead of all the other patients who are waiting to see if their child has down syndrome, or the particular strain of lung cancer someone has so they can start targeted chemotherapy. Not going to happen. Plus, you're ignoring the cost. These tests cost thousands of dollars because they're performed so infrequently and require such a high degree of skill to interpret them.

Regardless - it doesn't change the game. Whether the folks who tested positive have the Omicron strain or not, it really doesn't matter. At this point in the game, a positive Covid-19 test is a positive Covid-19 test. No special rules or guidelines for those with the original strain, delta strain, or whatever else is coming next.

UCSF confirmed the first case of omicron on SF in 8 hours. 

https://www.ktvu.com/news/ucsf-doctor-detects-1st-u-s-omicron-case-in-8-hours

They got the positive omicron test by 11 p.m. – and were able to confirm it by 4 a.m. Wednesday.

Edited by Pamster
Add link
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, BennyBrun said:

The worst part is the people at the terminal waiting right now.  I am guessing they must be hungry / thirsty since you usually are expecting to eat lunch onboard and now it’s past dinner time.  I wonder if they are at least feeding them because being hangry is not good.

this is true, i normally skip breakfast to chow down at 11am or so on board 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Babr said:

Port authorities and health departments do have enforcement capability. You may not be aware of that because their operations seldom attract public scrutiny.

It would be in your best interest to comply with their directions. If you  choose not to, let us know how it goes.

I agree there is authority out there. Tuberculosis is one of them that gets enforced. Few people know how it really works. This is very polarizing and we need to remember that but also be wise and realize not everyone will do the right thing. This is the main reason I retired from practicing medicine after 30 years. Just couldn’t stand the stress and being made to feel like the bad guy when trying to help people. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

this is true, i normally skip breakfast to chow down at 11am or so on board 

That’s what I do and without food for that long would drive me crazy so I hope food is/was being provided to them or the ability to go to the mall next door to get food.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BennyBrun said:

That’s what I do and without food for that long would drive me crazy so I hope food is/was being provided to them or the ability to go to the mall next door to get food.

Imagine how grouchy the Pax would be , hungry and tired of lines and waiting. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, seaman11 said:

Imagine how grouchy the Pax would be , hungry and tired of lines and waiting. 

I can not even think about it… and in that state people are agitated more easily so it’s bad situation all around to start your relaxing vacation.

• Like 2