Anyone cancelling their cruise?

Sistersinlaw

7 minutes ago, Sistersinlaw said:

We are booked for Dec 26 Carnival Freedom Caribbean cruise. Our kids are nervous about going on the cruise now (16, 15 and 12 years old).  We are debating what to do, is anyone canceling? If canceling, are you getting refunds?

Nope.  We waited 2 1/2 years for this cruise. If there were any issues, the cruise line will cancel the cruise and you will received a refund. In the mean time, play safe and enjoy your cruise 

Its a hard decision.  Its personal based on your own families' situation and risk tolerances.  
Read the carnival website carefully, read the airlines' website carefully (if applicable).  

Our family have been able to live / stay at home for almost 2 years.   But now in person university classes and part time jobs will be taking our kids out of the house. Hubby will have to goto office more.  He'll have to travel for conferences too.  

So, for us, if all that HAS to happen, we also need a break so our vacation will "have" to happen too.    Can't be all work and no break.  
Unless governments shut us down, As of now, we intend to go.  

Good luck with your decision. Its not an easy one.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

Its a hard decision.  Its personal based on your own families' situation and risk tolerances.  
Read the carnival website carefully, read the airlines' website carefully (if applicable).  

Our family have been able to live / stay at home for almost 2 years.   But now in person university classes and part time jobs will be taking our kids out of the house. Hubby will have to goto office more.  He'll have to travel for conferences too.  

So, for us, if all that HAS to happen, we also need a break so our vacation will "have" to happen too.    Can't be all work and no break.  
Unless governments shut us down, As of now, we intend to go.  

Good luck with your decision. Its not an easy one.  

We just got back from a cruise late November and have another booked for Jan 3.   We felt very comfortable on the cruise and was more uncomfortable going to a restaurant in Florida as we did not know the status of of the people sitting beside us.   We were originally planning on going to florida for new years eve, but have changed to leave on Jan 1 to limit the potential exposure before the cruise and allow us to get a test before we leave to cover both the flight and the cruise.

We will make a game day decision on whether to cancel later in the month, but at this point we are planning on going!

Our Celebrity cruise is not until March 28 and final payment is not until Jan 27.  With the topsy-turvy and constantly changing airlines schedules we have not yet booked our flights.  And with the recent changes to both Canada and US border requirements we are not ready to make any decisions yet.  And who knows what might happen next.  BUT we really want to go on this cruise - we missed our 30th anniversary one in 2020.

My son (14) and I are cruising on the Carnival Mardi Gras Dec 26th - January 2nd.

We are not cancelling. I asked him and he said he still wanted to go.

I am not afraid of my safety, it is more an issue of many many hoops to jump through.

• Like 2

The jury's still out. Our FPD isn't until the end of the month, by which time we will hopefully have a better idea of the medical threat posed by Omicron. The additional protocols, implemented or pending, don't particularly bother me.

• Like 2

We're booked for May 2022 and presently are still planning on going.  Both of us are double vaxxed and soon will get boosters.  Omicron has us concerned, but at this point unless the cruise lines shut down again we'll do any testing or take any necessary precautions to get going.

• Like 1

We'd been locked at home for two years like most others, and managed to slip in one cruise, November 20-27, just before the new, even more onerous testing requirements came in. Since we managed to get our fix in just in time, we decided to cancel our early Feb trip and move it to April. That's the latest we move it and still keep within Princess's current easy-cancel policy which ends April 30. We have until mid-March to make our final decision, but I'm naively optimistic the testing requirement will be gone by then. If it's still in place, we'll cancel again. The masks we can live with since enforcement is largely left to the individual on Princess, but the testing was far too problematic and worrying to put up with again, especially given how Princess "manages" it right now.

We have cancelled 3 cruises so far and don't intend to cancel another. Anyone who has read my posts knows that I always advocate appropriate precautions and absolutely believe in vaccines and believe they will work as expected. This sudden over reaction to the "Omicron" variant is beyond me, we know almost nothing about it and the media is painting it as the new apocalypse. Let's wait and have a look at what is actually happening in South Africa. How many cases have there been as a percentage of population? How many of those were double vaccinated? How severe are the symptoms? and how many deaths? If the data shows need for concern, then let's be concerned. Until then we will carry on as planned.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We have cancelled 3 cruises so far and don't intend to cancel another. Anyone who has read my posts knows that I always advocate appropriate precautions and absolutely believe in vaccines and believe they will work as expected. This sudden over reaction to the "Omicron" variant is beyond me, we know almost nothing about it and the media is painting it as the new apocalypse. Let's wait and have a look at what is actually happening in South Africa. How many cases have there been as a percentage of population? How many of those were double vaccinated? How severe are the symptoms? and how many deaths? If the data shows need for concern, then let's be concerned. Until then we will carry on as planned.

So true.  We’re planning in staying a week in Fort Lauderdale prior to our cruise. 0.52% of Florida population currently have covid. 

2 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

So true.  We’re planning in staying a week in Fort Lauderdale prior to our cruise. 0.52% of Florida population currently have covid. 

Like I said "appropriate precautions" for us appropriate precautions is not to visit Florida for many reasons not just covid. For you appropriate precautions tell you that Florida is okay. Our cruise originates in Los Angeles which has it's own set of "risks" which for us are acceptable. All I know is that the covid testing companies are certainly happy with this new development and the ensuing rules which see some people being tested twice in one day for no apparent reason.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We just came back and the cruise itself was great. The process to get there and back was very stressful. I think I will wait to cruise again. My mom wants to cruise and I think there’s no way I would take her right now. I think it depends on your health and your tolerance level for red tape. And worse case scenario and you test positive at disembarkation, do you have a job you can work from home? Do you have funds for emergency hotel?

We cancelled our June '22 cruises...Europe is starting to break open with covid...again.  By Spring, could spread beyond the lower numbers being experienced now.  That means new regs, ports closing, travel suspended in a foreign country, possibly not able to leave if flights delayed/cancelled, then quarantine?  As one poster said,  you go through hoops to travel NOW.   Not worried about the ship...safest place to be on vacation IMO.  Cruising back-to-back in November instead.  🤞 we'll be more comfortable to travel then.

3 hours ago, thon said:

Our Celebrity cruise is not until March 28 and final payment is not until Jan 27.  With the topsy-turvy and constantly changing airlines schedules we have not yet booked our flights.  And with the recent changes to both Canada and US border requirements we are not ready to make any decisions yet.  And who knows what might happen next.  BUT we really want to go on this cruise - we missed our 30th anniversary one in 2020.

We are supposed to be travelling with Celebrity March 28th with Final payment due December 28. 
We were both looking so forward to this trip but so many unknowns we are going to cancel. We enjoy going off the ship to check out the different islands but who knows if we will be able to do that. 

45 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Like I said "appropriate precautions" for us appropriate precautions is not to visit Florida for many reasons not just covid. For you appropriate precautions tell you that Florida is okay. Our cruise originates in Los Angeles which has it's own set of "risks" which for us are acceptable. All I know is that the covid testing companies are certainly happy with this new development and the ensuing rules which see some people being tested twice in one day for no apparent reason.

Sorry to say however, Calfornia is the worst state to visit. They have the most active Covid then another state. At least Florida is low base on there population. If you play it safe, then you may not have any problems. All the best on your cruise and enjoy it.  

18 minutes ago, Briguy071 said:

We are supposed to be travelling with Celebrity March 28th with Final payment due December 28. 
We were both looking so forward to this trip but so many unknowns we are going to cancel. We enjoy going off the ship to check out the different islands but who knows if we will be able to do that. 

We’re in the same situation. Final payment is due in 2 weeks. We do have Princess  Vacation Protection plus Princess EZair. So we should be ok. Of all times for this to happen. We were doing so good until now. Maybe thing will change in all our favour. 

Edited by DHP1

13 minutes ago, Briguy071 said:

We were thinking of cancelling however, there to many unknowns at this time. “Our luck we cancelled and everything turns out okay”. So we decide not to cancel. 

We are on the fence.  We have a B2B cruise out of FLL booked for April 2022, final payment early January.  I am concerned about the hoops you need to jump through re testing, and the potential for new travel restrictions to be announced at a moment's notice.  The risk of catching covid is less of a concern as we are both double vaxxed and will be eligible for boosters before we cruise.  Our grandchildren are now being vaccinated too so lessens the chances of us infecting them if we do catch it which was previously a big concern for us.

We haven't cruised since Jan 2020....and have had many cruises cancelled (all by the cruiseline).  

17 minutes ago, bebe08 said:

We are on the fence.  We have a B2B cruise out of FLL booked for April 2022, final payment early January.  I am concerned about the hoops you need to jump through re testing, and the potential for new travel restrictions to be announced at a moment's notice.  The risk of catching covid is less of a concern as we are both double vaxxed and will be eligible for boosters before we cruise.  Our grandchildren are now being vaccinated too so lessens the chances of us infecting them if we do catch it which was previously a big concern for us.

We haven't cruised since Jan 2020....and have had many cruises cancelled (all by the cruiseline).  

I understand your concerns about the hassle of being tested. We thought the same thing however, I got over it now and accepted the new travelling restrictions. If we cancel now we wouldn’t be able to book the same cruise in 2 years.  So we decide to accept the new restrictions and work with it. We have no choice if you want to cruise. 

I've lost track of how many cruises we've cancelled (or had cancelled) in 2020 and 2021. We have an Alaskan cruise round trip from Vancouver in July 2022 that we are definitely NOT cancelling and I think it will sail (helps that we live 45 minutes from the port). However, we have an August 2022 northern Europe cruise that I think we will end up cancelling.... 😞 this would make the 3rd Europe cruise we've cancelled. We will make a final decision in February as that is when my husband has to submit his vacation weeks for the following 12 months. 

53 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

Wondering if the April TAs will be a go this year, we have had 3 TAs cancel so far 

How are you feeling about the September 4th cruise on the Voyager?  We are on that one and I believe you are, too.  We had been “all plans going ahead” but now are wondering if it will be a wise move.  We only have departure flight booked and are holding off on return flight from Boston plus hotel booking in Denmark.

I hope we didn't do the wrong thing by booking Vancouver to Hawaii in April on Eclipse last week.  I suppose we can fly back non stop from Honolulu on Air Canada and avoid going into SFO by choosing United.  i worry our Norwegian Fjords cruise won't sail as it starts in Dublin and ends in Amsterdam.  Both places are grim at the moment.

We are in the watch and decide phase for our January cruise.  My sister in law cannot miss work so it would be a big deal if they decide we have to isolate until test results come back. I will be so sad if we have to cancel.