Anyone cancelling their cruise?

Sistersinlaw

15 hours ago, schiff1997 said:

Provinces should provide these tests for free to anyone who wants them especially when Canada provides them free to provinces.  In the UK they are free, my brother and SIL test themselves twice a week because they can 

I think that you'll find that the free tests, which are distributed quite broadly in Ontario, are not the proctored tests required by airlines and cruise lines.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I think that you'll find that the free tests, which are distributed quite broadly in Ontario, are not the proctored tests required by airlines and cruise lines.

Yes I know the free tests are not travel valid, but free testing anytime at home I think would encourage more people to test themselves

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1kaper said:

I can get them free in my province.  The school even sent some home for kids.  I took a test last night and gave my son one this  morning.  I still had to pay to get one done to fly to the US in September.  They used the exact same test.  But I needed the certificate.  
As I understand, the LAMP test is done online with someone who can complete the certificate, which is the difference. 

Just believe free at home test kits available to everyone would encourage more to test themselves.  I will get the paid one travel of course and have no issues paying for that one

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, schiff1997 said:

Yes I know the free tests are not travel valid, but free testing anytime at home I think would encourage more people to test themselves

You would think.  My workplace offers free take home self tests.  They are easy. 
The uptake is very low. Very very low. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1kaper said:

You would think.  My workplace offers free take home self tests.  They are easy. 

1 hour ago, schiff1997 said:

Well that's not good!    

I can't speak for others, but unless I have reason to believe that I've either contracted COVID, or have been directly exposed to it, I'm not going to bother getting tested. I'm fully vaccinated, had my booster, wear a mask in public, social distance, wash my hands and otherwise take appropriate precautions. And if there was some reason to believe that a test was necessary, I can get a free PCR test from one of the city's test facilities, one of which is just a five minute drive away. 

• Like 3

My last cruise was Feb 2020 on the Edge with my girlfriends. My husband & I were fortunate that we hadn’t booked any cruises for 2020 onwards so we avoided all of the headaches of cancelling. We would love to be cruising in 2022 but will wait and see what happens. If we do book anything, it will be last minute. I do love following along on everyone else’s cruise adventures while we wait.

15 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I can't speak for others, but unless I have reason to believe that I've either contracted COVID, or have been directly exposed to it, I'm not going to bother getting tested. I'm fully vaccinated, had my booster, wear a mask in public, social distance, wash my hands and otherwise take appropriate precautions. And if there was some reason to believe that a test was necessary, I can get a free PCR test from one of the city's test facilities, one of which is just a five minute drive away. 

Understandable. 

My husband has a job where he is exposed to lots of people.  I am also working with a lot of people but maybe not as at risk as he is.  I am worried about bringing it to my parents.  And I'm a worrier in general so it's peace of mind for me. 
If I develop symptoms I definitely test (and I have suddenly developed allergies so I seem to have frequent symptoms)
I also tested frequently after my trip to the US until the 2 weeks were up. 
I've had a number of PCR tests and would rather avoid them unless I really need one (IE - I've been exposed for sure or have a positive rapid test). 

My kid said he has a sore throat this morning and we have an outbreak going on locally so that's why I tested him.
I tested myself because there have been exposures at my work. 

After he brushed his teeth he said his throat didn't hurt anymore. LOL

Edited by 1kaper
  • Like 1

Our cruise is March 26...FPD is Dec 26 and at this point quite frankly...we don't know what to do.  Hear on the news in Ontario that the numbers seem to be doubling every 3 days and that in the new year could be heading towards 10,000 / day....WTH.......Is Carnival giving full refunds for those who are worried and want to cancel... Same with Air Canada.....our flight is a non refundable....but god....it would be nice if they offered SOMETHING BACK if one cancels due to this pandemic and the omicron ....ugh

3 minutes ago, abby1257 said:

Our cruise is March 26...FPD is Dec 26 and at this point quite frankly...we don't know what to do.  Hear on the news in Ontario that the numbers seem to be doubling every 3 days and that in the new year could be heading towards 10,000 / day....WTH.......Is Carnival giving full refunds for those who are worried and want to cancel... Same with Air Canada.....our flight is a non refundable....but god....it would be nice if they offered SOMETHING BACK if one cancels due to this pandemic and the omicron ....ugh

Ontario had extremely high case predictions before and we came nowhere near close to it...  I wouldnt worry too much.

It would be nice if Air Canada gave money back... we are booking our flights today.  Debated on paying the extra price so we could cancel if we wanted.   But decided not to, and take the chance of loosing all our flight money.

Where can I buy those take home tests (preferably online)?  

We have a 16-year-old and we want to test him on Friday (when school winter break starts) to give us enough time to cancel car rental/hotel prior to our departure on Monday (will still do the formal 24-hour prior test on Sunday).  

I would also like to take whole bunch with us and to self test after getting off the cruise since we still have few days on land in Florida prior to return (to get quarantine process started early if need be). 

24 minutes ago, Halo19 said:

Ontario had extremely high case predictions before and we came nowhere near close to it...  I wouldnt worry too much.

It would be nice if Air Canada gave money back... we are booking our flights today.  Debated on paying the extra price so we could cancel if we wanted.   But decided not to, and take the chance of loosing all our flight money.

It looks like Air Canada is offering to no change fees for a limited time, so you would not lose your money.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1kaper said:

Why would you want to test yourself if you have no symptoms?

Then you'd have to get a PCR test, wait for the results, and then deal with being off work as you recover.

If you have a great sick leave plan then great, but otherwise you aren't going to get paid.

With omicron you then have to get your close contacts to test and self isolate until their tests come back.

Outside of travelling and wanting to make sure you don't have Covid, unless you have symptoms no one is going to test.

My son brought home the free school antigen tests. He'll be using them before we test to fly to the U.S.

Honestly otherwise I would not be testing him.

Media rumblings Trudeau meeting with provincial premiers later this afternoon.  Speculation is feds bringing back travel restrictions, possibly non essential travel ban.  No word on border closures or how severe these restriction may or may not be.  Wait and see......................

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

Media rumblings Trudeau meeting with provincial premiers later this afternoon.  Speculation is feds bringing back travel restrictions, possibly non essential travel ban.  No word on border closures or how severe these restriction may or may not be.  Wait and see......................

If that's the case, take the weekend off and do it next week, while I am on the cruise and could careless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

Would you please provide us the link (website) to this information?

DHP1 I follow Brian Lilley on Twitter.  Further to his original Tweet this:

Hearing: Must be vaccinated to enter. No non-citizens. Advisory against non-essential travel. Feds will also push provinces to enact domestic measures including limiting Christmas gatherings, even family.

Just when we accepted all the travel restrictions, they do this to all of us.

Regarding the call between and the premiers tonight. Hearing: Must be vaccinated to enter. No non-citizens. Advisory against non-essential travel. Feds will also push provinces to enact domestic measures including limiting Christmas gatherings, even family.

12 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Just when we accepted all the travel restrictions, they do this to all of us.

Regarding the call between and the premiers tonight. Hearing: Must be vaccinated to enter. No non-citizens. Advisory against non-essential travel. Feds will also push provinces to enact domestic measures including limiting Christmas gatherings, even family.

Advisory or law?

Unless they stop all flights out of the country it's not really enforcable.

We already have a travel Advisory in place.

This will just affect insurance.

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

Advisory or law?

Unless they stop all flights out of the country it's not really enforcable.

We already have a travel Advisory in place.

This will just affect insurance.

You should check with your insurance company if the government makes any changes.   Medical coverage and trip cancellation has two separate sets of rules around coverage.

12 minutes ago, tert333 said:

You should check with your insurance company if the government makes any changes.   Medical coverage and trip cancellation has two separate sets of rules around coverage.

Td Aeroplan covers me for cancelation etc

My work health plan covers me for medical. 

It never covered me for Covid related emergencies