Anyone cancelling their cruise?

Sistersinlaw

1 minute ago, DirtyDawg said:

We have a Caribbean AI booked through Sunwing leaving later this month. When we booked it in the summer Sunwing had a full refund policy up to 3 days before departure. We might be putting that to the test in the next week if we decide to cancel.  

That's exactly what I was given to understand w.r.t my Sunwing purchase, which was made this summer as well. Now they're telling me I lose 50% if I cancel now, and 100% if I cancel 20 days before the departure date -- a novel interpretation!   I'm now reading through all the fine print and the email chain to see if they pulled a fast one here. 

With the odds stacking up against a relaxing Caribbean cruise in 3 weeks, I have 99% accepted that this year’s after-Christmas vacation will consist of turning up the heat, breaking out the shorts and t-shirts and ordering in for a week. Oh, and putting a Princess webcam view on my laptop to gaze at longingly. 

Who’s with me?

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

I also have a lot of pvr of Mighty Cruise Ships from Discovery Channel. I jokingly said to save these- it might be our  cruising future when we taped the first one in March 2020. Surely we will feel safe enough to go again in 2022. I am sure if we were even 10 years younger, we would cruise, but late 70's leads to other health issues as well. PVR it is for this winter.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Not optimistic about our March cruise at all. Final payment is mid-January and even with that small amount of time I see nothing positive coming from it. 🤷‍♂️

Didn't Royal change final payment to 30 days before?  Not much more time but should be Feb sometime.

30 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Didn't Royal change final payment to 30 days before?  Not much more time but should be Feb sometime.

Yes, but my large box TA is 2 weeks prior to RC deadline date. In reality those two weeks really aren’t going to make that much of a difference.  Return to pre-existing travel regulations isn’t going to happen in those 2 extra weeks.

Just not a fan of paying to get it all back in another FCC. We already have 4K applied in FCC to this sailing and don’t want to be out the rest for the RLS we are booked in. If they were to give the our cash payment back in cash, I’d be willing to pay today but I’m not a fan of them holding onto even more of my funds for another year. Doubt their going to change policy though. 

7 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Yes, but my large box TA is 2 weeks prior to RC deadline date. In reality those two weeks really aren’t going to make that much of a difference.  Return to pre-existing travel regulations isn’t going to happen in those 2 extra weeks.

Just not a fan of paying to get it all back in another FCC. We already have 4K applied in FCC to this sailing and don’t want to be out the rest for the RLS we are booked in. If they were to give the our cash payment back in cash, I’d be willing to pay today but I’m not a fan of them holding onto even more of my funds for another year. Doubt their going to change policy though. 

Ah got it.  That makes sense.  We always deal directly with Royal (but make payment or cancel at least 1 week before) so forgot that others may have earlier payment dates.

And makes sense too with not wanting to build up more FCCs.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Same with us. Our final payment is due tomorrow and Princess (chat line) won’t extend it.  $6,000 in FCC is a lot of money which has to be used by the end of next year or we will lose it.  Princess isn’t returning my phone calls or replying to my e-mails. It seems they went hiding. So much for Customer Service. 

• Like 2

We have an Alaskan Cruise set for May with Holland America, final payment is Early February.  Hoping that they will change the final payment period from 90 to 60 days as they did a few months ago. If I gave odds, I think its 60-40 that we go on this trip. Last month I pegged it at 70-30.

On 12/16/2021 at 1:36 PM, lots-of-km2 said:

That's exactly what I was given to understand w.r.t my Sunwing purchase, which was made this summer as well. Now they're telling me I lose 50% if I cancel now, and 100% if I cancel 20 days before the departure date -- a novel interpretation!   I'm now reading through all the fine print and the email chain to see if they pulled a fast one here. 

We had a  March 2020 Covid booking and canceling with Sunwing that started for $4000. It was rebooked in summer 2021 as a cruise/flight package for March 2022 which we cancelled a couple of months ago (to make  space to use FCC credits).

When we called in to cancel, they were insistent that we would be subject to losing $500  deposit (which was not the terms I had). I gave up argueing with them and said just do it to at least get $3500 refund back and intended to follow to fight for the remaining $500. 

We were just refunded the full $4000 without further contact.

I guess what I am saying is the person you call in and talk to at sometimes may not have all the correct info (it is quite a slew for them to deal with)

Good Luck!

1 minute ago, rodndonna said:

I guess what I am saying is the person you call in and talk to at sometimes may not have all the correct info (it is quite a slew for them to deal with)

Good Luck!

Thanks!  I'll give that a try!  (BTW, I'm originally from the Falls and still have ties there!)

10 hours ago, DHP1 said:

Same with us. Our final payment is due tomorrow and Princess (chat line) won’t extend it.  $6,000 in FCC is a lot of money which has to be used by the end of next year or we will lose it.  Princess isn’t returning my phone calls or replying to my e-mails. It seems they went hiding. So much for Customer Service. 

In the same boat! Fully paid cruise since early 2019…..and still NOT able to take. $6000. in Celebrity’s pocket, has left this VERY loyal cruising couple furious.  If we lose the $$$ we won’t take it lightly. On a good note good old Air Canada refunded all the $$ from all our booked flights and Covid fiascos fro Mar 2020😃 Now we are waiting on Visa to settle a claim for our river cruise deposit….what a nightmare…….

We lost money on a river cruise last year, but Viking refunded our deposit on last week's cancellation in less than 24 hours. Air Canada was also quick. I expect Princess will take a few weeks. We had to involve Visa with Rocky Mountaineer. It is all a learning experience, but one we could do without.I hope everyone has a successful outcome.

• Like 1

We just cancelled our cruise to Hawaii with Princess. Final payment was due today and with all the restrictions, the testings, the quarantines and our government asking not to do any non-essential traveling we found this more stressful than not, preparing for this trip.

Everything is closing up here again and it does not look good. We had our booster shot last week and had high hopes about the future. Now not so sure.

I hope that all of you who have made final payment on your bookings will be able to travel.

If you do be safe and enjoy it.

• Like 4

Our final payment is due Dec 31 for our Feb. 28 cruise.  We are waiting until the last minute but I am pretty sure that we will need to cancel as everything is closing in Quebec.  It will be our 3rd cancellation.  We have until Jan 31st to re-book another cruise to avoid loosing our FCC.  Each time we do a new reservation it's around $500 to $800 more expansive.  Everything that I am looking for is more than a $1000 more expansive.  I would prefer to get my money back but is is a big no from NCL.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Veinless said:

If I wasn’t past the final payment date I would be cancelling. 

Are you still cruising with Celebrity? If so, you should consider taking advantage of the Cruise with Confidence program:

Cancel up to 48 Hours Before you Sail

You have up to 48 hours before you sail to cancel and receive 100% Future Cruise Credit to use by May 31, 2022 toward any sailing through December 31, 2022, or one year from your original sailing date, whichever is later.
  • For cancellation within any phase of penalty, refunds will be issued as Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the full cruise fare amount.  
  • In order to receive 100% FCC, your booking must be paid in full.
  • For cancellation outside of penalty, your refund will be issued to the original form of payment. (Only applicable in countries that offer a refundable deposit option).
  • Nonrefundable Deposit Bookings: If canceled outside of penalty, the full deposit amount will be returned (without penalty) in the form of an FCC. If canceled within any phase of penalty, the cruise fare including full deposit (without penalty) will be issued as an FCC.
  • Bookings made with FCCs from suspended sailings will also benefit from the new Cruise With Confidence policy.

We just cancelled our March break cruise to the ABC islands on the EPIC. 

Third try for March - at these ports. We were going to wait, closer to the final payment date ( Jan 13th) and see what things look like, but who are we kidding, things aren't going suddenly magically get better by March. Quebec just went into lockdown, and who knows what Ontario is in store for over the holidays. We are just done. Just so done. We were looking forward to those specific  ABC ports , and who knows even if we DO sail, the ports might not accept cruise passengers and it just a whole bunch of unknown right now. Seems like the best decision for our situation, as hard as it is. 

• Like 1

We will cancel our Alaska cruises that leave and arrive in Vancouver.  Because of the uncertainty of what the Government will do.  Will they halt cruises in Canadian waters for another year or will testing and quarantining be the travel restrictive.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Magicat said:

We will cancel our Alaska cruises that leave and arrive in Vancouver. 

We have a late May 14 day cruise from Vancouver but will wait until final payment to decide whether or not to sail, but I doubt the gov't would decide in February to cancel east and west coast ports for the season.  

We'd be really disappointed to have to cancel a 28 day cruise from Boston which stops at many small Canadian ports we've not yet visited.  At least we have until June to decide.

Ruth

Looks more and more like I will need to cancel. Have to check if insurance is going to cover this, or if I can get future cruise credits.  Too worried about border closures.  (Driving to US, and flying to San Diego). My first solo cruise and am chicken about getting stuck on the wrong side of the border. 

Anyone want to talk some sense into me?  My cruise is Jan. 2…