Are there foods you eat at home, but never on a cruise?

shipgeeks

For me, one might be peanut butter.  I eat it at home for ease of prep, decent taste (crunchy only!) and ease of protein.

Another is orange marmalade.  I only like English brands, with bitter oranges, not sweet ones like Smuckers.  But I've never seen good ones on a ship.

How about you?

8 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

For me, one might be peanut butter.  I eat it at home for ease of prep, decent taste (crunchy only!) and ease of protein.

Another is orange marmalade.  I only like English brands, with bitter oranges, not sweet ones like Smuckers.  But I've never seen good ones on a ship.

How about you?

An interesting question, I think.  Peanut Butter would be something that I would not order during a cruise.  I like Orange Mamalade, but I prefer Smuckers.  I need to think about other items.

I am going to post an opposite thread just to see what comments we read.

• Like 1

We just had our bi-weekly Sunday night potato pancakes.  I've only ever seen them on a ship one time, on SeaBreeze, when I had a Leaning Tower of Potato entree.  I think they are too labor-intensive to offer on most ships.  Here at home, I sit at the kitchen table, DH cooks two at a time, and we stuff ourselves til the mixing bowl is empty.  Good stuff.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Barramundi fish. I won't eat it in any restaurant even on land. For me wild caught Barramundi tastes the best and eateries rarely serve wild caught so I'm never inclined to order it on a menu. Rather cook it myself at home and have to flavour I like😋

On 2/6/2022 at 8:49 PM, ilikeanswers said:

Barramundi fish. I won't eat it in any restaurant even on land.

A fish that I never see for sale even in my upscale grocers' seafood counter in my community.  What I have eaten when I have been in your part of the world:  it's a very tasty finny creature.  

On 2/8/2022 at 5:31 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Baked beans…being from metro Boston I know that they will never make baked beans onboard ship as good as I make at home.  

I think my "Centerville, Ohio Baked Beans" are the best.  🤣   Time to make some more, I think. 

• 4 weeks later...

The frog legs on Carnival. Unless they have improved them since my last cruise in 2019, they are tasteless and disgusting. First of all, they are baked or steamed or something...not fried. Thats a horrible injustice to the poor frog who sacrificed his legs. Real frog legs are battered and deep fried...and are very good if fixed right. One other item that is severely in need of improvement on Carnival is their ice tea. Unless its been improved since my last cruise, its horrible. I drink a lot of ice tea, and have about give up on Carnivals tea. This Missouri Hillbilly could definitely show them a better way.

On 2/9/2022 at 8:25 PM, rkacruiser said:

I think my "Centerville, Ohio Baked Beans" are the best.  🤣   Time to make some more, I think. 

Recipe, please!  I, too, like to doctor plain baked beans.  Always open to good ideas!

23 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Recipe, please!  I, too, like to doctor plain baked beans.  Always open to good ideas!

I have to take out my father's old cookbook with his Baked Bean recipes. Always enjoyed it.

Nothing like homemade Baked Beans

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2022 at 4:47 PM, shipgeeks said:

I think I provided a recipe on another thread.  If not, respond and I will mine.  

On 3/4/2022 at 12:14 PM, hillbillycruisers said:

Real frog legs are battered and deep fried...and are very good if fixed right.

The best that I have ever eaten were those that my Zoology Senior Seminar classmates and I caught and returned to our Professor's home when his wife sauteed them in a hot, well buttered skillet.  

• 2 months later...

I don't like most desserts on board. I have a huge sweet tooth, and I just don't get enough sweetness from most of the desserts, especially on the buffet. There are exceptions, but for the most part...meh.

On 5/23/2022 at 1:37 PM, bassmk said:

I don't like most desserts on board. I have a huge sweet tooth, and I just don't get enough sweetness from most of the desserts, especially on the buffet. There are exceptions, but for the most part...meh.

Are there any desserts that you found that you enjoyed?  (What are your "exceptions"?)  I am just curious.  Have you tried Crepes Suzette?  

11 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Are there any desserts that you found that you enjoyed?  (What are your "exceptions"?)  I am just curious.  Have you tried Crepes Suzette?  

I think we get quite a large amount of sweets as named on the Mary 2. Maybe too much.

BTW....forgot in the discussions of the past. Had a new Greek Takeout open and already had three orders from them and enjoy to much. The closest was quite a bit away before now. So now I can have my fill. Never had Greek on board. Would be my Second Choice next to Oriental.

Also being of Polish Heritage,  Enjoy a Original Recipe made Kielbasa Sandwich at home. Yes, never had it onboard. Wouldn't expect to except my Dad had it many decades ago on the Stefan Batory ship.

There are many recipes that make various Kielbasa versions. Hillshire is NO WAY close to what a Polack would accept.......lol....

On 5/25/2022 at 4:17 PM, rkacruiser said:

Yes! I love crepes Suzette! I can’t say I’ve had it on a cruise, though. 

I like Carnival’s melting cake, I like tiramisu anywhere, the cheesecake from the coffee shops on all the lines I’ve sailed have been fantastic, and crème brûlée never disappoints. Ice creams are usually dependable.  

I find that most cakes on ships are dry and not sweet enough for my taste. (When I say sweet tooth, I mean it! LOL) I’m picky about pies anyway, and I’m not a huge fan of those fancy chocolate desserts that are like, molded chocolate. I consider myself to be a dessert connoisseur, and I love baking. And I do acknowledge that I am in the minority on how sweet something can be before I consider it to be cloying.  

On 5/25/2022 at 5:41 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

I think we get quite a large amount of sweets as named on the Mary 2. Maybe too much.

BTW....forgot in the discussions of the past. Had a new Greek Takeout open and already had three orders from them and enjoy to much. The closest was quite a bit away before now. So now I can have my fill. Never had Greek on board. Would be my Second Choice next to Oriental.

Also being of Polish Heritage,  Enjoy a Original Recipe made Kielbasa Sandwich at home. Yes, never had it onboard. Wouldn't expect to except my Dad had it many decades ago on the Stefan Batory ship.

There are many recipes that make various Kielbasa versions. Hillshire is NO WAY close to what a Polack would accept.......lol....

Interesting comments on the Polish food.  I grew up in a town with a large Polish population so all the famous dishes were available to us.  After a long night of partying we would often go to “The Kapusta Man” a food truck selling kapusta (cabbage and kielbasa stew) and home made kielbasa in a roll.  Polish Easter was the best.  I would go to my best friend’s home for all sorts of wonderful Polish treats.  The baby back ribs in kapusta was one of my favorites.

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2022 at 8:37 PM, rkacruiser said:

If we had sailed on TSS Olympia, I bet that we would have enjoyed some excellent Greek pastries.  

RK, you should have cruised on the Amerikanis!  One night we had to suffer through a vanilla birthday cake while the rest of the dining room was gorging on baklava.  I commented to the waiter that I really missed the baklava.  After an exhaustive night of partying we returned to our spacious cabin, with a full marble bath, only to find a plate, covered by a linen napkin, of delicious baklava!  

The Amerikanis had a Greek specialty at lunch every day and they were fantastic!

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 7:31 PM, bassmk said:

I love crepes Suzette! I can’t say I’ve had it on a cruise, though. 

They are still available in a small number of specialty restaurants.  Rudi's Sel de Mer is on their regular menu.  But, while they are satisfactory, they are not like the Crepes prepared and flamed at tableside.  (Thanks a lot (?) for the increasing safety regulations that caused the extinction of this dessert's table side preparation.)  

On 5/26/2022 at 7:31 PM, bassmk said:

I like Carnival’s melting cake,

Tried it.  None of these melting/lava cakes do anything for me.  More hype than enjoyment, at least for me.  Offer a well prepared warm Apple Strudel/Vanilla Sauce, which Carnival has on their menus at time.  That will satisfy me after a good dinner.  

13 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

RK, you should have cruised on the Amerikanis!

The Greek lines left the cruise business  before I could sail on them.  

RK, the Amerikanis was a Chandris vessel with the big X on the blue funnel.  Chandris morphed into Celebrity still sporting the big X.  

I had crepes Suzette made table side on the SS France.  I believe I saw them again on Celebrity…but no recent sightings.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Interesting comments on the Polish food.  I grew up in a town with a large Polish population so all the famous dishes were available to us.  After a long night of partying we would often go to “The Kapusta Man” a food truck selling kapusta (cabbage and kielbasa stew) and home made kielbasa in a roll.  Polish Easter was the best.  I would go to my best friend’s home for all sorts of wonderful Polish treats.  The baby back ribs in kapusta was one of my favorites.

It's a wonderful Culture to have been brought up in. 

Easter is the special time for the Morning Breakfast. Hard Boiled Egg, Fresh Horseradish, The Big K nicely boiled, Polish Rye Bread, Even Horseradish w Beets. Of course the Country Ham properly made was great. So many dishes that I have all the time and able to get.

We are so blessed in Brooklyn to have many stores. But many of the store owners get a lot of the products from parts of Greenpoint, Lower Manhattan and of Course New Jersey like Irvington to name one.

• Thanks 1

the Amerikanis was a Chandris vessel with the big X on the blue funnel.  Chandris morphed into Celebrity still sporting the big X.  

When I sailed on Celebrity Eclipse, the Deck Officers were mostly Greek.  The cuisine was definitely not Greek.  If there were any Greek items on the menu, I don't remember them.  

I had crepes Suzette made table side on the SS France.  I believe I saw them again on Celebrity…but no recent sightings.  

On HAL, Crepes Suzette went from being prepared table side to being prepared/flamed at the front of the MDR to being prepared/flamed (I assume) in the Galley to being non-existent except on very special occasions--sometimes.  

The definition of "First Class cuisine and service" has changed over the decades!  

For me, I find that biscuits at breakfast are At Home only.  DH just made a batch that are light and flaky. On a ship, they are invariably meant to go with sausage gravy, and are hard and dry by themselves.

Scones at afternoon tea on a ship, however, can be quite nice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

For me, I find that biscuits at breakfast are At Home only.  DH just made a batch that are light and flaky. On a ship, they are invariably meant to go with sausage gravy, and are hard and dry by themselves.

Scones at afternoon tea on a ship, however, can be quite nice.

I may be among the few who have not eaten Sausage Gravy and Biscuits.  I had a friend who often would order that for breakfast when we patronized Bob Evans.  Looked like a "heart attack on a plate" to me.  But, there biscuits tasted good, but, they keep falling apart so I usually have difficulty getting them satisfactorily buttered with some honey added.  

The quality of scones differ when I have had tea on ships.  I think the best that I have tried was at a Tea House that overlooked Victoria, B.C. harbor.  

I love good Southern foods like Chicken Livers, Fried Liver Mush and the above-mentioned Sausage Gravy over Biscuits -- but I know they're not nearly so good outside my own house. 

I have a small part-time baking job, and my own creations are so superlatively delicious that I don't really enjoy desserts at restaurants.  

• Like 2

On 5/30/2022 at 6:25 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

I love good Southern foods like Chicken Livers, Fried Liver Mush and the above-mentioned Sausage Gravy over Biscuits

I have not thought of Chicken Livers as being a particular Southern food.  I like Chicken Livers, too.  Don't prepare them for myself, but, sometimes my Kroger will have some already prepared in their deli-Chicken department.  Fried Liver Mush?  Never heard of that.  Is this Mush with bits of Chicken Livers mixed into the batter?  

Mum2Mercury, I notice you are a new CC member.  Welcome to our Community.  60 posts already!  You are off to a good start!  

Edited by rkacruiser