Are there foods you eat at home, but never on a cruise?

shipgeeks

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I don't think he sails until 9/23.  Fried calves liver and onions!  (Maybe even with some bacon.)  My Mother and I loved it; my Father and Brother hated it.  When this was on my family's dinner menu--which was not often--it was a dinner with two different entrees my Mother fixed.  Cruise ship chefs' usually do a good job with it.  I will usually order it when it's on the menu while my tablemates say "how can you eat that stuff?".  (I like most organ meats:  sweetbreads, heart; tongue, not so much.)

I like Chopped Liver whether it is Chicken or Beef.  I think fried Chicken Livers--hot or cold--are delicious.  I actually like them cold and eat them as a "HH" snack.  When I can get them.  

I have eaten liver and onions many times over the years.  Even the Italian version is good…made with lemons.  We even have two diners in the area that still serve it. One of my strange combinations of liver and onions is the way my mother used to fix it for me…with spaghetti and meat sauce.  I know that sounds strange but it really works…lol.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

One of my strange combinations of liver and onions is the way my mother used to fix it for me…with spaghetti and meat sauce.

Sounds good, but, also sounds like a heavy dinner.  Something as a side needs to be prepared and spaghetti sounds OK. A marina sauce sounds better to me.

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Sounds good, but, also sounds like a heavy dinner.  Something as a side needs to be prepared and spaghetti sounds OK. A marina sauce sounds better to me.

I make marinara on its own.  Definitely meat sauce with the liver and onions.  Just my taste from childhood but still good.  Cheeseburger without a roll and spaghetti with meat sauce is also another good combination.  

9 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We are now on Cruise Eve, with one day at home to eat what is left in the fridge.  I predict some odd combinations, as is usually the case.  Are we the only ones who might end up having oatmeal for dinner?

😁   I have had some peculiar cruise eve dinners as well with the anticipation of the cuisine to follow!  Oatmeal for dinner?  Nothing wrong with that whenever and I even like a bowl of Raisin Bran for dinner when Chef RKA is really lazy and not really hungry.  

Please refresh our memories as to what ship and to where you are cruising.  I think it is from Baltimore on Carnival Legend.  With a suddenly active tropics, you may have some "extra added attractions at no cost to you".  Have a safe and enjoyable cruise, I hope.  

17 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I make marinara on its own.  Definitely meat sauce with the liver and onions.  Just my taste from childhood but still good.  Cheeseburger without a roll and spaghetti with meat sauce is also another good combination.  

I thought a true Marinara Sauce was a meatless sauce.  

18 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I thought a true Marinara Sauce was a meatless sauce.  

Correct…marinara is meatless.  Marinara goes great with my stuffed squid!  Sometimes we just make a simple marinara, and spaghetti on its own, made with Italian olives and capers.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

stuffed squid!

😲   How does one stuff a squid?  

The Genus name for Squid is Loligo.  Because of my Zoology education, I remember an Invertebrate Zoology professor (whom I dearly admired) had some interesting stories about the animals we were studying.  A story about Loligo has remained in my memory for 60 years, now.  "Polynesians would catch these animals and eat them as if they were candy.  They called them 'Loligo'.)  Which was, of course, their Genus name.  

That was rather repulsive to me as a college Sophomore.  It has taken me many, many years to try Calamari.  And, the first time I ordered Antipasto in Rome and found some baby Octopus tentacles among the items.  Should I eat these "things" or not?  I finished my glass of wine and tried them.  I survived and it was another learning experience for me.  Calamari is not my first choice for an appetizer.  Like some other foods, I think it has to do with its preparation.  I have had Calamari that chewed/tasted like rubber bands.  I have had Calamari that was tender and rather good.  But, I cannot forget "what I am eating!  

But, how does one stuff a squid?  Split the trunk?  Stuff it with what?  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

😁   I have had some peculiar cruise eve dinners as well with the anticipation of the cuisine to follow!  Oatmeal for dinner?  Nothing wrong with that whenever and I even like a bowl of Raisin Bran for dinner when Chef RKA is really lazy and not really hungry.  

Please refresh our memories as to what ship and to where you are cruising.  I think it is from Baltimore on Carnival Legend.  With a suddenly active tropics, you may have some "extra added attractions at no cost to you".  Have a safe and enjoyable cruise, I hope.  

Thank you!  Baltimore is correct, and the ship is Enchantment of the Seas, to Canada and New England, one of our favorite itineraries.

One of the highlights of the cruise will be that a good friend of many years ago, when I lived in Sydney, has just arrived at Harvard for a six-month sabbatical.  She and her husband will meet us at the Boston terminal for the day.  Perfect timing all around!  She and I worked, and toured, together for four years, so we shared many "interesting" meals, as well as experiences.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

😲   How does one stuff a squid?  

The Genus name for Squid is Loligo.  Because of my Zoology education, I remember an Invertebrate Zoology professor (whom I dearly admired) had some interesting stories about the animals we were studying.  A story about Loligo has remained in my memory for 60 years, now.  "Polynesians would catch these animals and eat them as if they were candy.  They called them 'Loligo'.)  Which was, of course, their Genus name.  

That was rather repulsive to me as a college Sophomore.  It has taken me many, many years to try Calamari.  And, the first time I ordered Antipasto in Rome and found some baby Octopus tentacles among the items.  Should I eat these "things" or not?  I finished my glass of wine and tried them.  I survived and it was another learning experience for me.  Calamari is not my first choice for an appetizer.  Like some other foods, I think it has to do with its preparation.  I have had Calamari that chewed/tasted like rubber bands.  I have had Calamari that was tender and rather good.  But, I cannot forget "what I am eating!  

But, how does one stuff a squid?  Split the trunk?  Stuff it with what?  

I just knew someone was going to pose that question…lol.  Squid is a delicious delicacy if prepared right.  You can buy squid that has been cleaned…bodies and tentacles or you can clean them yourself.  Simply tear off the head and pull out the innards then slide out the transparent spine and rinse.  Cut the tentacles from the bony head.  Prepare a simple stuffing with Italian bread crumbs, Romano cheese, egg, garlic salt, onion powder and parsley…wet with white wine.  Hand stuff the bodies from the head opening and close with a toothpick.  Lay them out in the pan.  Stew them covered with the tentacles in marinara sauce (throw the tentacles in when preparing your marinara sauce) for at least an hour in the oven at 350*f.  Lightly flavor the sauce with red pepper flakes for a touch of heat when preparing the sauce.  Serve the squid with spaghetti using the now delicious sauce from the roasting pan.  Don’t forget to remove the toothpicks.  If this recipe is done right you will develop an insatiable hunger for it!  Squid is also very good fried (frito misto) or when marinated and lightly char grilled. 

When you come to Sheephead Bay in Brooklyn you have to know how to say it the RIGHT way.

people who say “galamad” are those of italian descent who live in places like stated island, lower brooklyn, nj, & LI. REAL ITALIANS SAY 'CALAMARI,'” another explained. Others, however, praised the videos, claiming that Staten Islanders pronounce calamari “the right way” — or at least the way that's true to their borough

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I just knew someone was going to pose that question…lol.  Squid is a delicious delicacy if prepared right.  You can buy squid that has been cleaned…

🤣      I enjoy learning!  Thanks for your reply and its preparation is interesting; does sound good, though.  

Buy squid locally?  🤣     The reaction that I would get from the Seafood Department Manager at my local upscale grocer if he could obtain squid would be the same as when I asked their Cheese Department Manager if they could obtain some Tasmanian cheese that I liked.  "Why do you want that?"  Did I get that cheese?  No.  The results would be the same for the squid.   

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

🤣      I enjoy learning!  Thanks for your reply and its preparation is interesting; does sound good, though.  

Buy squid locally?  🤣     The reaction that I would get from the Seafood Department Manager at my local upscale grocer if he could obtain squid would be the same as when I asked their Cheese Department Manager if they could obtain some Tasmanian cheese that I liked.  "Why do you want that?"  Did I get that cheese?  No.  The results would be the same for the squid.   

Look at your frozen fish section for squid.  They are flash frozen when caught and cleaned.  I’ve bought frozen squid many times when the price is right.  We here in Massachusetts are lucky in that we get a lot of our sea food fresh.  Squid is caught locally all up and down the sea coast.  Cape Cod and Rhode Island are known for their squid.  Fried squid is served as an appetizer in practically every restaurant in our metro area.  You must have some good Italian restaurants near you?  

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Look at your frozen fish section for squid.  They are flash frozen when caught and cleaned.  I’ve bought frozen squid many times when the price is right.  We here in Massachusetts are lucky in that we get a lot of our sea food fresh.  Squid is caught locally all up and down the sea coast.  Cape Cod and Rhode Island are known for their squid.  Fried squid is served as an appetizer in practically every restaurant in our metro area.  You must have some good Italian restaurants near you?  

Remember it come with either Medium or Spicy Sauce. Others just like it with Marinara Sauce with their added heat added with Hot Sauce.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Octopus, I have seen in the seafood department's fresh case.  Squid?  No.  I will look the next time I am in the store.  My community has Italian restaurants, of course.  But, good?  Yes, but, other than Calamari rings that might be on the menu (and most of those would be of the "rubber band chewing" variety).  The best was one that closed several years ago.  The owner retired and no one else was interested in continuing the business.  

28 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Octopus, I have seen in the seafood department's fresh case.  Squid?  No.  I will look the next time I am in the store.  My community has Italian restaurants, of course.  But, good?  Yes, but, other than Calamari rings that might be on the menu (and most of those would be of the "rubber band chewing" variety).  The best was one that closed several years ago.  The owner retired and no one else was interested in continuing the business.  

I prefer Octopus Grilled in a restaurant with a open flame grill. Properly seasoned and marinated before grilling. First time I had it I was shocked how good. I would never get it myself, a friend introduced it.

46 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I prefer Octopus Grilled in a restaurant with a open flame grill. Properly seasoned and marinated before grilling. First time I had it I was shocked how good. I would never get it myself, a friend introduced it.

Ditto for me too…octo char grilled is the only way to go.

Crab/shrimp Salad is a food that I eat at home that I don't recall anything quite like it when dining on a cruise.  A "salad" is a "stretch", in my opinion, because there is no dressing of any type, but, that's what my upscale grocer calls it.  A mixture of shredded Crab and small Shrimp, moist, with occasionally a surprise, some large chunks of Crab Claw meat.  A Crab or Shrimp Cocktail, with some kind of sauce, would be its closest cruise ship dining cousin.  But, this is truly even better!  No sauce and one can savor the flavors of the Shrimp and the Crab.  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Crab/shrimp Salad is a food that I eat at home that I don't recall anything quite like it when dining on a cruise.  A "salad" is a "stretch", in my opinion, because there is no dressing of any type, but, that's what my upscale grocer calls it.  A mixture of shredded Crab and small Shrimp, moist, with occasionally a surprise, some large chunks of Crab Claw meat.  A Crab or Shrimp Cocktail, with some kind of sauce, would be its closest cruise ship dining cousin.  But, this is truly even better!  No sauce and one can savor the flavors of the Shrimp and the Crab.  

Had it on QM2...

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 6:35 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

When you come to Sheephead Bay in Brooklyn you have to know how to say it the RIGHT way.

people who say “galamad” are those of italian descent who live in places like stated island, lower brooklyn, nj, & LI. REAL ITALIANS SAY 'CALAMARI,'” another explained. Others, however, praised the videos, claiming that Staten Islanders pronounce calamari “the right way” — or at least the way that's true to their borough

GALLIMARI!!  That comes directly from the North End in Bahhhston!!  

Which brings us to the next question.  How do you dine before the cruise??  

There are two schools of thought here.  Some folks love to hit the big restaurants in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, etc. before a cruise.  Others, like myself, prefer to abstain from gorging pre cruise.  I believe that the onslaught of food onboard ship is such that only a moderate intake before a cruise makes sense.  What are your thoughts?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Which brings us to the next question.  How do you dine before the cruise??  

There are two schools of thought here.  Some folks love to hit the big restaurants in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, etc. before a cruise.  Others, like myself, prefer to abstain from gorging pre cruise.  I believe that the onslaught of food onboard ship is such that only a moderate intake before a cruise makes sense.  What are your thoughts?

I am consistently inconsistent in my pre-cruise dinner dining.  Part of the reason is due to whether I flew or drove to the port.  If I flew, and the hotel has at least one good restaurant, I am likely to remain at the hotel for dinner.  If the hotel has an upscale restaurant (i.e. 3030 Ocean in the Marriott Harbor Beach) as well as a more modest restaurant, I will sometimes choose the upscale option, but, not always.  

If I drove, I am likely to dine elsewhere other than the hotel.  The restaurant may be a modest one (i.e. Longhorn Steak House, et al) or it may be an upscale restaurant that I have been wanting to try.  (My last pre-cruise dinner in Fort Lauderdale, I dined at Casa d'Angelo, an upscale Italian restaurant that was excellent.)  But, I may choose to remain at the hotel and dine there.

I am consistently consistent, though, with my pre-cruise breakfast.  No breakfast buffet, no large off the menu ordered breakfast, just a Continental Breakfast.  Why?  I expect to be having lunch on the ship and I don't "want to spoil" my lunch by having no appetite.  Besides, having to often do the walking required through the cruise terminal and the "rat's maze" of the gangway, I find that easier to do on not so full of a tummy.  

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t eat dinner at home at all and it is my favorite meal while cruising.  I am a grazer at home with one meal a day, usually midday.  That habit simply doesn’t work when traveling and grazing can be dangerous on a cruise ship (;

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I don’t eat dinner at home at all and it is my favorite meal while cruising.  I am a grazer at home with one meal a day, usually midday.  That habit simply doesn’t work when traveling and grazing can be dangerous on a cruise ship (;

My dining patterns when I am at sea are different than when I am at home.