Exactly how to use Voom?

tbmrt

5 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I don't understand, but on my recent Mariner cruise, the ship's tech mentioned that I could text from my I phones to another I phone, only.  I'm assuming same apply to Androids.

I don’t know about Android phones.

That said, iPhones use their own “text” app (iMessage) as the default and, when texting between iPhones, it’s done over available WiFi. If there’s no WiFi available, iPhones will switch to regular SMS texting (which is what you get with your regular cell service and for which you may get a roaming charge in a foreign country).

But, the tech was correct that if you want to use your iPhone to “text” using iMessage (no extra cost over WiFi networks that allow it), it must be with another iPhone user.

Easy to tell the difference right now. If you text with someone from an iPhone to an iPhone, the conversation bubble will be blue. If you text to an Android user, the conversation bubble will be green.

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I don’t know about Android phones.

That said, iPhones use their own “text” app (iMessage) as the default and, when texting between iPhones, it’s done over available WiFi. If there’s no WiFi available, iPhones will switch to regular SMS texting (which is what you get with your regular cell service and for which you may get a roaming charge in a foreign country).

But, the tech was correct that if you want to use your iPhone to “text” using iMessage (no extra cost over WiFi networks that allow it), it must be with another iPhone user.

Easy to tell the difference right now. If you text with someone from an iPhone to an iPhone, the conversation bubble will be blue. If you text to an Android user, the conversation bubble will be green.

Thanks for the explanation.

On 12/8/2021 at 1:25 PM, Charles4515 said:

My experience has been that it works with Surf. I never buy Surf and Stream because I don't stream. To me streaming means Netflix or HBO which I don't do on a cruise. YMMV. 

Did you try to FaceTime using Surf?

On 12/6/2021 at 4:27 AM, tbmrt said:

First time using Voom.  How is this done?  Then we can use our phone like a regular phone for texts and calls to US?

We usually put phone in airplane mode when we get near the ship and shut mobile/data roaming off.

Since you have an android, just put your phone in settings below. Since as you stated you are calling the US, this will work.  The other explanations are overkill and superfluous.  People really need to 1. actually read what they are cutting and pasting and 2. pretend they are not Data in STTNG.

Screenshot_20211210-212932_Files.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, VegasVic14 said:

Did you try to FaceTime using Surf?

I sucessfully did FaceTme about seven or eight  times with surf.. It never failed. Even had an hour conversation with my niece who was at home when her parents both had some kind of nasty virus while we were onboard. 

Edited by Charles4515

13 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Its not that much more for the streaming.  I'd rather spend money on that instead of a $50 dinner at Chops.  Lasts longer!

It is true that the cost is not that much more. If I expected to do a lot of FaceTime calls I would buy stream. When I made FaceTime calls it was not planned. I made a few one cruise to test if possible on one cruise and on another I was cruising with family and the unplanned FaceTime calls back home were for comfort and reassurance. Normally plain voice calls would have been sufficient. 

58 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It is true that the cost is not that much more. If I expected to do a lot of FaceTime calls I would buy stream. When I made FaceTime calls it was not planned. I made a few one cruise to test if possible on one cruise and on another I was cruising with family and the unplanned FaceTime calls back home were for comfort and reassurance. Normally plain voice calls would have been sufficient. 

After my last cruise in November where I had to walk my 19 year old how to unlock garage door opener, instruct 27 yr old how to use the alarm system (doesn’t live with us) and talk to a nervous sad dog, I will always have the stream to face time.  I wish we had it for issues in the past when traveling.  

• Like 2

One of the several things I like about AT&T is that their “daily passport” service of $10 (on any day you choose to make a land based voice/data) comes in handy. They also have “Cellular@Sea” for ships that contract with them for the satellite connection (e.g., all Oceania ships). Depending on your need, there are reasonably priced sea packages for this as well. 
As someone who traveled internationally a lot for work (pre-retirement), it was also very helpful to have AT&Ts numerous partners (e.g., Vodaphone) blanketing the globe (except, of course, for much of the PCR - which is another story refarding the quirks of communication).

On 12/9/2021 at 2:17 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not necessarily true, at least, on iPhone.

See my earlier posts regarding the “setting”  for “WiFi calling” which appears in the “Cellular” menu (at least on iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 14.3).It is primarily for “hand off” of cellular calls when cellular signal is poor.

Third party communications apps work without that setting turned on. Try it.

I run Wifi Calling ON and with the phone in Airplane mode, it uses wifi ONLY.

If I turn Wifi Calling OFF, calls only go through Cellular, so if Airplane Mode is ON, there are no calls.

iPhone XR with iOS 14.8.1

On 12/6/2021 at 11:36 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

You may be a bit confused about the “WiFi Calling” setting on your phone (at least if it’s an iPhone).
In iPhone “Settings,” you’ll see choices for “Cellular” and “WiFi” and, of course, “Airplane Mode.”

A specific setting called “WiFi Calling” is found in the “Cellular” category along with “Data” options, (at least, if you have an AT&T service provider at home).. Turning “WiFi Calling”  to “ON” is what allows your phone to auto switch (“hand off”) to a WiFi network (e.g., the ship’s) in order to connect to the Internet to making/receiving CELULAR calls with your default Apple “”Phone” app when cellular towers are not close enough to connect.

If you turn on “WiFi Calling,” it only works when you have your Cellular “ON” (I.e., “Airplane Mode” turned “OFF”). And how you’ll know that a “hand off” has been made is that “AT&T WiFi” (or similar from other service) will appear at the top of your phone’s Home Screen. 

By contrast, the “WiFi” listing in your “Settings,” 

if turned “ON,” allows you to connect to a WiFi Network (e.g., the ship’s) and access the Internet where, if you have received or paid for “Internet,” third party communications apps can make/receive telephone calls over the Internet via the app (not your default Phone app).

As most folks know (should know), turning “Airplane Mode” to “OFF” stops Cellular services coming from cellular towers. By default, it also turns “WiFi” to “OFF” too. But, you can then turn “WiFi” back to “ON” separately. This is what many cruisers usually do and then they can use their complimentary or paid Internet packages to make/receive third party app phone calls (as long as the ship’s IT system does not block that kind of data transmission [I.e., a form of “streaming”]).

FWIW,  On a ship, do not have that “WiFi Calling” (in “Cellular” settings) turned  to “ON.” Why? If you then, by choice or accident, turn “Airplane Mode” back to “OFF,” your phone may connect to the ship’s satellite “tower” for cellular service. Using AT&T as an example: If the satellite cellular signal is strong, you’ll see something like “Connect@Sea” at the top of your Home Screen. But, if it’s not strong, the satellite cellular call will be “handed off” to your iPhone’s “WiFi Calling” feature and you’ll see something like “AT&T WiFi” on the top of the Home Screen. In either case, making/receiving a call using your IPhone’s default Apple “Phone” app will be charged applicable long distance and/or data charges.

Bottom line: “WiFi” and “WiFi Calling” settings are vastly different things.

If you turn Airplane Mode OFF, no matter what Wifi Calling is set to, you may connect via Cellular at Sea on board.

Look at what your iPhone says for Wifi Calling.

"Make and receive calls over Wi-Fi with your T-Mobile account."

Yes, WiFi and WiFi calling are different.

WiFi is for data.  WiFi calling allows calls and text over WiFi data (VOIP) instead of cellular.

34 minutes ago, SRF said:

I run Wifi Calling ON and with the phone in Airplane mode, it uses wifi ONLY.

If I turn Wifi Calling OFF, calls only go through Cellular, so if Airplane Mode is ON, there are no calls.

iPhone XR with iOS 14.8.1

Yes. 
what some folks erroneously think is that using the default “phone” app (using your service provider’s cellular phone number) over a WiFi data connection (I.e., Airplane Mode ON and WiFi Calling [in Cellular settings] ON and WiFi ON) is NOT subject to ISP charges. Depending on the service carrier, there may be no charges for WiFi Calling to the US. But, calls from foreign country to foreign country may incur charges. 

Also good to remember.

Interestingly, if I make a call from a foreign country to the US with my T-Mobile (or within the same country) it is 25 cents per minute.  But if I call from the US to a foreign country it is MUCH more.  Although, they do have a program ($15 per month) where calls from US to a foreign land-line is free and to a foreign mobile it is on 25 or 35 cents per minute.