Cheap Water?

guxu

I pretty sure I ordered cases of water for several $ in my previous cruises (years ago). Does Carnival still offer that? I cannot find it in my cruise manager. 

Edited by guxu

14 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Cheap water?  Open the sink tap.

True. I filled my water bottle from tap and from Lido before. I know the water on cruise ship should be as clean as, if not cleaner than bottled water. But someone said in a recent review the tab water was yellow  🤮

Edited by guxu

23 minutes ago, guxu said:

True. I filled my water bottle from tap and from Lido before. I know the water on cruise ship should be as clean as, if not cleaner than bottled water. But someone said in a recent review the tab water was yellow  🤮

The tap water on our recent Elation cruise was yellow and I was glad I had pre-ordered the 12 pack of water. My husband drank the tap water with no problem, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I spoke to a woman on our cruise who said she had complained about the water in her cabin, so Carnival sent a free 12 pack of water to her room.

Edited by RedbirdFLCruiser
*Elation, not Ecstasy

10 minutes ago, guxu said:

Due to the required chlorine residual level in the water, a scale tends to form along the inside of the pipes from this chlorine salts.  As long as the pipe is kept full of water, there is no problem.  If the pipe is drained for repairs, the scale will dry out and flake off the sides of the pipe, and be carried around the system.  Since the water onboard the ship is constantly circulated, this tends to clear the chlorine scale quickly.  However, the branch lines off the water mains on each deck that lead to your sink, toilet, and shower, are "stagnant", in that the water there does not flow until you open a tap.  The chlorine scale can accumulate here and cause a yellow to brown discoloration of the water.  This again, is quickly dealt with by running the water for a couple of minutes to allow the clear water to flow from the mains to your sink.  While the yellow/brown water is not attractive, there is nothing unhealthy or unsanitary about it.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, guxu said:

No matter what you said, I am not drinking yellow tab water🤢

I wouldn't either, but then again, I'm not part of the "instant gratification" generation that can't wait a minute for the water to clear, but just complains about it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, guxu said:

I pretty sure I ordered cases of water for several $ in my previous cruises (years ago). Does Carnival still offer that? I cannot find it in my cruise manager. 

We waited until we boarded last week and called Room Service our first day at sea and it was delivered within 20 minutes and cost $4.50 - perhaps when ordered On Board and at sea there is no tax - beverages prior to ships sailing are taxed. 

Actually, the cost of the 12 pack at 4.95 is amazing for a cruise ship.  I cruise alone, but I will always order 2 cases for my room in case I want it.  It is cheaper than I could have 2 cases of water delivered to my home.  I actually called because I thought it was a pricing mistake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

I wouldn't either, but then again, I'm not part of the "instant gratification" generation that can't wait a minute for the water to clear, but just complains about it.

My understanding from that review was the water did not turn clear after a minute or after a couple of minutes. Maybe the ship sat there for too long. 

4 hours ago, guxu said:

My understanding from that review was the water did not turn clear after a minute or after a couple of minutes. Maybe the ship sat there for too long. 

That is correct. It did not turn clear, and no, I'm definitely not from the "instant gratification" generation.

• Like 1

I don't drink tap water at home - goes through filter on refrigerator - and I sure don't drink it on the ship. Whenever there is a main break on our water system, after they fix it there is always dirt in the water. When I call the water company about it they always say it's OK to drink. I want to put some of this brown water in a jar and take it to their office and ask them to drink it while I watch! The bottled water you can order online is too cheap and convenient to bother with the tap water on the ship.

Drink tap water on a Carnival ship? Not if I can help it. I believe them when they say it is perfectly healthy, but have you tasted that stuff? It tastes like plastic, which makes sense seeing as how it is flowing through plastic pipes. Strangely enough the melted ice doesn't have the bad taste. But for the most part I don't go on a cruise to drink water; I go to drink alcohol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 8:22 PM, icft said:

Drink tap water on a Carnival ship? Not if I can help it. I believe them when they say it is perfectly healthy, but have you tasted that stuff? It tastes like plastic, which makes sense seeing as how it is flowing through plastic pipes. Strangely enough the melted ice doesn't have the bad taste. But for the most part I don't go on a cruise to drink water; I go to drink alcohol.

Kills the germs and the taste.  Win/win!

Many ways to get good water on a ship if you have the container. We get ice every day. When it melts it is great tasting ice water. Fill your bottle at the buffet. Any bartender will fill it for you or give yo a glass of ice water. All three give you excellent water. FREE! 

On 12/8/2021 at 11:31 AM, chengkp75 said:

I drink orange-colored water from a fresh sping that's been tested as safe for a week at Scout Camp each year. Its simply the minerals in the water. That said, I don't want to do that on a cruise. : ) We always drink the tap water. Tastes just fine and I'm confident its safe.

Edited by LakeWobegon

I gave the free water on Lido deck a chance.  It has an odd, musty taste and smell.  The bottled water delivered to the staterooms tastes more like the odorless, tasteless water from my purification-filter tap back home.  Less than five bucks for a 12-pack?  Keep 'em comin'.

11 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I gave the free water on Lido deck a chance.  It has an odd, musty taste and smell.  The bottled water delivered to the staterooms tastes more like the odorless, tasteless water from my purification-filter tap back home.  Less than five bucks for a 12-pack?  Keep 'em comin'.

The water from any bar is excellent, filtered water for sure as is the melted ice water in our room. I do agree, sometimes the water at the buffet does have some odd taste to it. Wonder why? I am sure it is all safe to drink.

• Like 1