Hawaii in January??

fellswoop

I apologize.  In re-reading this, it looks like we don't have to test if we upload a copy of our vax card (which we did).

HOW TO EXPEDITE EXCEPTION FROM QUARANTINE

• Under Governor Ige’s emergency proclamation, travelers entering the State of Hawai`i from the continental U.S., AK, or from a U.S. territory (domestic travelers) by airline or cruise ship must self-quarantine for 10 days, unless they obtain an exception/exemption.

• International passengers entering the U.S. or U.S. territory, then traveling to Hawai`i by airlines or cruise ship, will be treated as a domestic traveler and are required to apply for an exception/exemption from quarantine in Safe Travels.

• Travelers on a direct international flight to Hawaii do not need to complete anything in Safe Travels to apply for an exception/exemption.

• Domestic travelers can apply for an exception/exemption by doing one of the following:

• Airline Passengers: Uploading a negative COVID-19 test result from Hawaii’s Trusted Testing and Travel Partners, found on https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/

• Cruise Ship Passengers: Uploading a negative COVID-19 test result taken on the cruise ship while traveling to Hawai`i.

• Uploading a picture of your COVID-19 vaccination card.

• Linking a digital health pass ID from partners such as AZOVA, CommonPass or Clear - to represent either a negative COVID-19 test or proof of vaccination.

• Applying for a specialty exemption at https://ag.hawaii.gov/travelexemption/ (not for cruise line trips)

Note

• Negative COVID-19 tests and vaccinations are verified by labs. Submitting a falsified test or vaccination record is a crime and will be prosecuted.

4 minutes ago, SFO PETER said:

HAL routinely does Rapid Antigen (Abbott) on board no charge to passengers.    I think the fly in the ointment is whether Hawaii wants PCR test rather than Rapid Antigen.    Hawaii requires PCR for flights to Hawaii.   My understanding is that PCR on board is doable and PCR has been done for some Canadians who need PCR to fly home.   Whether HAL will buy the equipment to do PCR for the entire ship is another question.

Peter

Is needing a pcr to fly into Hawaii something new?  The reason I ask is because a colleague flew to Hawaii maybe 2 weeks ago and only needed an antigen.  That had changed from needing a pcr maybe a couple weeks to a month before that.

It's all to be determined when Hawaii announces their new plan sometime between now and Dec 31st.  Speculation only for now. Our cruise leaves Jan 16th. 

😢       Seeing ships being turned away from ports in the Caribbean this week due to Covid on board is setting a precedent.

10 hours ago, fellswoop said:

It's all to be determined when Hawaii announces their new plan sometime between now and Dec 31st. 

Where did you get this info?  I haven't seen any dates specified for them to announce anything yet so just curious.

First, Hawaii accepts full vaccination in lieu of PCR test to avoid quarantine but you must submit vaccination info on Safe Travels website.

Second, if you piece together the Koningsdam itinerary on Hawaii Portcall, you get a completely different itinerary for Koningsdam.  I get Jan 23, HNL, Jan 24 Kona, Jan 25  no where, Jan 26 Kahului Maui (NOT Lahaina), Jan 27 Hilo.  This is nothing like the HAL published itinerary.

Check for yourself.

https://hawaii.portcall.com/#!?tab=2&port=Kahului - Maui

15 minutes ago, martinprof said:

...  if you piece together the Koningsdam itinerary on Hawaii Portcall, you get a completely different itinerary for Koningsdam.  I get Jan 23, HNL, Jan 24 Kona, Jan 25  no where, Jan 26 Kahului Maui (NOT Lahaina), Jan 27 Hilo.  This is nothing like the HAL published itinerary.

Check for yourself.

https://hawaii.portcall.com/#!?tab=2&port=Kahului - Maui

None of the first few months of HAL itineraries that include Hawaii match what HAL shows vs what the Portcall site shows.  Also, Portcall shows K'dam overnighting in Kona (so there the 24th and 25th).

24 JAN - 07:00
dep 25 Jan 18:00
KONINGSDAM

KONINGSDAM
299.5 m | 3152 guests
Anchorage A
last port | 
Honolulu
Edited by zelker

If Kahului is the substitute for Lahaina, that will be a plus. Lahaina is a tender port while Kahului has a pier. There actually is an island bus that runs to Lahaina from the Queen Ka'ahmuana Center mall in Kahului every hour. I recommend drinks and appetizers at the Pioneer Inn's Grill and Bar in Lahaina.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

If Kahului is the substitute for Lahaina, that will be a plus. Lahaina is a tender port while Kahului has a pier. There actually is an island bus that runs to Lahaina from the Queen Ka'ahmuana Center mall in Kahului every hour. I recommend drinks and appetizers at the Pioneer Inn's Grill and Bar in Lahaina.

I would, after being to Maui about 20 times, have to disagree....But depends on one's interests.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zelker said:

Where did you get this info?  I haven't seen any dates specified for them to announce anything yet so just curious.

Jai Cunningham the public information officer for Hawaii Dept of Transportation stated cruise ships on hold until "at least" January 2022. So the expectation is an announcement to confirm restart for January or extending ban. He also said..."While no firm date is currently set, HDOT, in coordination with the various State, Federal,  and Local entities, is focused on the safest possible resumption of cruise".

So now we wait. 

5 minutes ago, fellswoop said:

Jai Cunningham the public information officer for Hawaii Dept of Transportation stated cruise ships on hold until "at least" January 2022. So the expectation is an announcement to confirm restart for January or extending ban. He also said..."While no firm date is currently set, HDOT, in coordination with the various State, Federal,  and Local entities, is focused on the safest possible resumption of cruise".

So now we wait. 

Yep, have seen all this but you specified you're expecting an announcement between now and the end of the year so that's what I was specifically asking about.

15 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I would, after being to Maui about 20 times, have to disagree....But depends on one's interests.

Not sure if you're disagreeing about going to the PI or taking the bus but neither would be our first choice.  There are way better spots along Front Street to drink/eat with far superior views (where you're almost hanging over the water).  As for the bus, it's an hour from Queen K Mall to the stop at the Wharf Cinema Center n Lahaina IF you don't hit traffic jams along the way (and does that ever happen, especially during peak whale season, where you don't hit slow traffic?  😉)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, zelker said:

Not sure if you're disagreeing about going to the PI or taking the bus but neither would be our first choice.  There are way better spots along Front Street to drink/eat with far superior views (where you're almost hanging over the water).  As for the bus, it's an hour from Queen K Mall to the stop at the Wharf Cinema Center n Lahaina IF you don't hit traffic jams along the way (and does that ever happen, especially during peak whale season, where you don't hit slow traffic?  😉)

Totally agree...

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

46 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

You would rather be left to the uncertainty of tendering?

I have een to Maui several time, maybe not 20 but I love Lahina and do not like Kahului. I would much rather tender in Lahina anytime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, zelker said:

This + I'd rather tender in Lahaina for just those reasons.  The PI restaurant has a new owner --- with a whole new menu.

You will not want to read this.....just happened to see it on Beat of Hawaii...

Does not bode well for a cruise to Hawaii

As of this morning, the state reported 1,511 new cases, which is the second-highest single-day Covid counts ever. And it comes of the heels of just weeks ago Hawaii recording sub-100 counts. The state is now seeing one of the country’s steepest Covid increases in the past two weeks.

So beyond what the governor may decide in terms of travel this time around, compared with his prior jumbled recommendations that visitors curtail Hawaii vacations in September and October, there remains a bigger question afoot. That is, how safe is it to travel to and be in Hawaii. Add to that all of the anxiety we are all now feeling and that you’ve started expressing in countless comments this week, in addition to the question of whether you’ll lose all your money if anything should go wrong

7 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

As of this morning, the state reported 1,511 new cases, which is the second-highest single-day Covid counts ever. And it comes of the heels of just weeks ago Hawaii recording sub-100 counts. The state is now seeing one of the country’s steepest Covid increases in the past two weeks.

So beyond what the governor may decide in terms of travel this time around, compared with his prior jumbled recommendations that visitors curtail Hawaii vacations in September and October, there remains a bigger question afoot. That is, how safe is it to travel to and be in Hawaii. Add to that all of the anxiety we are all now feeling and that you’ve started expressing in countless comments this week, in addition to the question of whether you’ll lose all your money if anything should go wrong

This is happening all over.  Just look at the ridiculously high covid counts in Quebec.  Even in provinces that had very, very low counts throughout the pandemic are being hit hard.

16 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

Thanks for the update, I agree it’s not good.

58 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

Add to that the fact that it is a 15 day cruise with 5 sea days in each direction, which limits what can be done if cases do develop on board, and I doubt Hawaii would want them offloaded there.

Latest just up....from Hawaii

There’s no doubt that Hawaii is heading into uncharted territory with regards to Covid cases, and perhaps other more concerning metrics as well. Today the state announced there were 1,828 new Covid cases, while it is growing rapidly on all islands. And this is likely just the beginning of where we could be in the next few weeks, with the potential being reported of upwards to 20,000 cases per day across all the islands.

Health Dept. says avoid travel + looks towards changes to 72-hour trusted partner testing. 

Yesterday, Elizabeth Char, head of the state’s Department of Health said, “If you can avoid travel right now, avoid travel right now.” She was speaking at a virtual press conference. You can be quite certain, however, that her message was intended for both residents and visitors and that it had been approved by the governor. It is interesting that this came from Char rather than Ige, while it is our observation that Char doesn’t even breathe without Ige’s consent.