Confirmed Covid Case on Summit

roadwarrior365

They are all reported to the CDC so it's public record.  These incidents of a couple of cases are going to be normal and shouldn't interest the media.  Celebrity needs to continue to be transparent with their customers about these cases.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, roadwarrior365 said:

We are currently cruising on Summit. Tonight during Dinner the Captain made an announcement that 2 Passengers have been tested positive for Covid-19 and have been isolated. So far it seems like the cruise will proceed as scheduled. We will see what happens tomorrow.

I wonder how they found out the two passengers tested positive since they don’t do onboard testing.  Perhaps back to back?

8 minutes ago, BennyBrun said:

I wonder how they found out the two passengers tested positive since they don’t do onboard testing.  Perhaps back to back?

The passengers may have felt sick enough to go to the DR on board???  I agree it would be very easy for some to not even know they are infected.

7 minutes ago, BennyBrun said:

I think it's a little early for B2B testing. More likely symptomatic passengers.

55 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

They are all reported to the CDC so it's public record.

Perhaps with a FOIA request in hand.  They seem to have been very careful not to disclose actual numbers for particular ships.  Haven't seen that info published anywhere.

10 minutes ago, Cruise Gopher said:

Seems so unnecessary to do a public announcement across the whole ship just to say 2 people have Covid. Like what good is that going to do for anyone besides cause panic, anxiety, etc.?

I, for one, would want to know as I could have been in close contact with those infected and want to be tested.

In health and bon voyage

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Cruise Gopher said:

Seems so unnecessary to do a public announcement across the whole ship just to say 2 people have Covid. Like what good is that going to do for anyone besides cause panic, anxiety, etc.?

I think the only way  to build confidence  is to be transparent.  I would not be happy to get off a ship and find out 2 days later that some had tested positive during the cruise but we didn’t know it.  
So far the protocols that are in place seem to be working.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

I, for one, would want to know as I could have been in close contact with those infected and want to be tested.

In health and bon voyage

Names aren't announced - there would most likely be no way to know if you'd been in close contact.  For now, it's mostly video confirmation - and they will definitely let you know if they have concerns!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Cruise Gopher said:

It could alert someone who doesn't feel well to be aware there might be reason to suspect more than a simple cold.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Cruise Gopher said:

This issue has been debated and beaten to a thin flat pancake over on the NCL / Royal board about the Breakaway case.  I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer.  Some people want to know everything while others just want to go on and only be told if they are close contacts.  I want to know but once I know I am worried the whole cruise so it’s like is it better that I know or not?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So what is the procedure when this happens? These passengers would’ve been interacting with other passengers and crew (for days? Not sure how far into the cruise they are) and may have infected others. Does everyone onboard get tested now? Do they scan video and find any people who may have interacted with those passengers? I mean that’s great to have them isolated but that should be just one part of the resolution.

3 hours ago, mfs2k said:

I hope every individual cruise ship Covid case isn’t reported to the media. It’s not helpful to the travel industry. Covid is everywhere. Unfortunately. 

It is reported to CDC, from whom the media can certainly get the numbers if they want.

After all there was some recent articles on numbers since the restart a couple of weeks ago.

The more a cruise line tries the keep the information secret the more likely it could come back in a negative fashion.

Better for cruise  line and ship to be upfront about any cases.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, canderson said:

Names aren't announced - there would most likely be no way to know if you'd been in close contact.  For now, it's mostly video confirmation - and they will definitely let you know if they have concerns!

C thank you, that is all I would need to know, names not important only close contact. 

In health and bon voyage 

• Like 1

I’m curious what happens from here with the affected passengers given that it appears there are no more port stops on this cruise.  When they arrive back in Miami, will Celebrity assist them in getting home, or will they need to quarantine for days in Miami?  My DH and I are on the Dec. 16 Summit cruise. One slight concern I have is in the unlikely event that one of us tested positive (we are triple vaxxed, but as we know, there are no guarantees with this virus), would we be spending Christmas in a hotel in Miami? 😳 A risk we may be taking, I’m just curious about the scenario of a positive test close to disembarkation.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cmsteach said:

I’m curious what happens from here with the affected passengers given that it appears there are no more port stops on this cruise.  When they arrive back in Miami, will Celebrity assist them in getting home, or will they need to quarantine for days in Miami?  My DH and I are on the Dec. 16 Summit cruise. One slight concern I have is in the unlikely event that one of us tested positive (we are triple vaxxed, but as we know, there are no guarantees with this virus), would we be spending Christmas in a hotel in Miami? 😳 A risk we may be taking, I’m just curious about the scenario of a positive test close to disembarkation.  

Yes, Celebrity will transport you to a hotel where you self-isolate until meeting CDC guidelines to fly home. Either 10 days after the day symptoms started or the positive test date. There is a post on here about a passenger's experience where they had to be flown back to the states and isolated in a hotel. I think if you drove your own vehicle to the port you are allowed to get in your car and go straight home. 

24 minutes ago, mackjack9139 said:

Yes, Celebrity will transport you to a hotel where you self-isolate until meeting CDC guidelines to fly home. Either 10 days after the day symptoms started or the positive test date. There is a post on here about a passenger's experience where they had to be flown back to the states and isolated in a hotel. I think if you drove your own vehicle to the port you are allowed to get in your car and go straight home. 

I'm not aware of Celebrity using quarantine hotels in FL.   For people disembarked during the cruise they receive medical attention then are flown home via private air ambulance.  I assume the same is true if you test positive after the last port stop and leave the ship at the disembarkation port.  The only exception is if you drove to the port with your private car then you probably are allowed to drive directly home to self isolate.

Now close contacts are a different story.  There have been cases where close contact were scheduled for the subsequent sailing and have been forced to disembark.  While Celebrity has reportedly helped with changing flight arrangements etc it's all on the passengers dime.

For those wondering about the onboard procedures when a positive case is discovered.  Those passengers are moved to isolation rooms onboard and are disembarked at the next port and like I said provided medical attention and transported home via private transport.  This is all at Celebrity's cost at least until April 2022.   Then close contacts are identified via video and required to isolate in their stateroom for at least 24 hrs and a second negative test.   They are then required to mask for the remainder of the cruise. 

This is my current understanding of the protocols based on my 2 B2B sailings since Sept and reports here on CC but things change constantly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

In health and bon voyage

All close contacts are identified via on-board cameras (they're everywhere), they are notified, tested, quarantined, and tested again at least 24 hours later.

Given that, there really is no need for public announcements of odd-lot positives.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mayleeman said:

It could alert someone who doesn't feel well to be aware there might be reason to suspect more than a simple cold.

Any reasonable person who doesn't feel well during a pandemic should already be at the highest alert and suspect more than a simple cold, particularly on a cruise ship. I wouldn't need an announcement about a passenger or 2 testing positive to suddenly make me think, "Gee maybe I have covid."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Any reasonable person who doesn't feel well during a pandemic should already be at the highest alert and suspect more than a simple cold, particularly on a cruise ship. I wouldn't need an announcement about a passenger or 2 testing positive to suddenly make me think, "Gee maybe I have covid."

Yes- totally agree.  Time to advance our thinking.  It is semantics of course but if you test positive for the virus but have no symptoms - do you have the disease called COVID?  Or a temporary controlled viral infection with SARS-CoV-2?  On the ship they do contract tracing of the test-positive people.  And test those contacts.  A few positive tests is not an outbreak of COVID disease like last year in Feb-March on cruise ships where many hundreds of passengers and crew had serious COVID including deaths.  If you choose to cruise these days there is a non-zero risk that you will be exposed to the virus no matter what your vaccination status.  And procedures are thankfully in place now on ships to very much detect and control.  More so than almost anywhere on land.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I understand and appreciate your position, then the announcements are not for you and as such you can ignore them.

Yet, I and others, do want to know that there are (potential) positive cases aboard during our sailing.

I prefer to not wait until I got home to find out that I had contracted or was in close contact with someone who had C-19 and etc., just my preference.

The announcement (information), IMO, can help passengers decide what they may want to do for further protection rather that be more distancing or masking or nothing or any combination the aforementioned.

In health and bon voyage

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

There's cases on almost every cruise now - it's the "new normal" and its NOT going away.

Exactly why there's health protocols in place and anyone not feeling well SHOULD report to the onboard medical facility asap to get checked.

Still the safest place to be right now. 😁

• Like 3