Shared Tables-COVID

all4hockey54r

For fixed time dining, unless you see the MD or hostess early on embarcation day, you're assigned a larger table with 4+ strangers.  Most likely, unless there are children, these others are vaccinated.  But all have been tested before boarding.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

If you are worried about catching Covid from sitting at a table with other people, perhaps you should not be on a cruise ship.

Maybe the OP wants to sit with other people.  On our August Miracle cruise we had late dining and were seated at a big table ( maybe for 10) .  The most we had at the table for any one dinner were 5 people total so we were well spread out around the table..  Dont know if that was just luck of the draw or they deliberately assigned only that many to the table.  I think too , that you can request a table for two even for assigned time dining.  Our last cruise we used your time dining and had a table for two every night.  We did request a larger table a couple of times but that never happened.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

If you are worried about catching Covid from sitting at a table with other people, perhaps you should not be on a cruise ship.

It’s all stupid. They have no problem seating you 4 inches from people for a 2 hour meal but they want you to wear a mask for a 10 second elevator ride. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, all4hockey54r said:

Not worried at all! Just curious if the table configurations changed. 

One of the problems from any kind of not face to face communications is that one does not always have the same interpretation of what is being said as the person communicating. Thank you for the clarification as I now understand totally differently what you were trying to say.

On the Horizon, the MDR's do not have booth seating.  There are large and small tables and banquette seating and high top bar seating.  I asked for a table for two and was seated at one of the banquette (long upholstered bench where one person sits and a chair on the other side). The problem with this eating arrangement, is that you have no privacy, the table next to you is only 12 " away and you can hear every word they say.  The gentleman who sat on the banquette next to me was a big man who was very drunk and obnoxious and knocked over his drink and the glass ended up under our table.  We left before dessert and ate the rest of our meals in the Lido buffet.

Also, I was one of those people who was very cautious about the close proximity of diners everywhere on the ship.  To those posters who would make fun of people who are being extra vigilant regarding Covid-19, people have reasons to be vigilant.  i am a cancer patient, haven't ventured into stores, doctor's offices, etc., without masks and gloves.  Whenever I was uncomfortable on the ship, I moved.  Because I was being very cautious doesn't mean I should stay home and never cruise or vacation again.  There are reasons why compromised people must be hyper aware of their surroundings at all times.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

It’s all stupid. They have no problem seating you 4 inches from people for a 2 hour meal but they want you to wear a mask for a 10 second elevator ride. 

Its because the 2 hour meal isnt in a space the size of the 10 second elevator ride.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

It's pretty much the ocean version of TSA safety protocols.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Op can avoid sharing table and eat at the buffet by himself. I understand the dinner menu is almost the same.

My husband and I love having dinner with new people. We are glad this has not changed.  A few years ago we were eating with three other couples and come to find out one couples nephew was in one of my Algebra 2 classes. We were all from different areas in Louisiana. Small world 🌎 

2 hours ago, slavigne5577 said:

My husband and I love having dinner with new people. We are glad this has not changed.  A few years ago we were eating with three other couples and come to find out one couples nephew was in one of my Algebra 2 classes. We were all from different areas in Louisiana. Small world 🌎 

As do we! We can always find something in common to talk about. And that to us, is what makes cruising unique. There's always something to talk about.

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Please, please, do not give them any ideas.

Currently on Carnival Legend. Sip and cover applies to the theater, the comedy club, and the piano bar, but strangely not the Red Frog Pub. Red Frog only requires masks if you choose to get up and dance immediately in front of the band. Such archaic rules! 

9 hours ago, slavigne5577 said:

I once found that the person next to me at the table had graduated from the same university as me one year later.

On the Breeze in August it was optional. I sat alone at every meal except the Chef's Table, lol. Someone above mentioned a sip and cover rule. That was only the case in the comedy club and show lounge. Not really enforced in the show lounge though, maybe because people were so spread out since the ship was so empty. At every other bar and the nightclub there was no rule like that in place.