Is Cunard cracking down?

fourmile.ranch

Yes, that language is consistent with previous versions of the "Cunard Line Passage Contract" for the US. A US contract I have dated March 2016 includes this wording which appears to be identical with regard to the stated alcohol policies.

5. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS; DRINKING; TOBACCO; GAMING; ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES.

The minimum Guest age is 6 months on Alaska, Canada/New England, Caribbean, Europe (excluding Iceland), Mexico, Trans-canal voyages, and 12 months on all other voyages, including transatlantic and transpacific itineraries. Guests under the age of 21 years must be accompanied by a Guest 21 years or older who shall assume responsibility for their care during the Voyage. For families or groups booking multiple staterooms, children under the age of 16 years must be accompanied in the stateroom by a Guest over the age of 16 years. We are unable to accept group reservations for student or youth groups that do not conform to our minimum age requirements. Each Guest agrees and warrants that he/she will supervise any Guest in his/her care at all times to ensure all policies, along with all other rules of the Carrier and ship, are strictly adhered to by all Guests under their supervision.

No alcohol may be purchased, possessed, or consumed by any Guests under the age of 18, except when in waters of the U.S., in which case no alcohol may be purchased or consumed by any Guests under the age of 21. No Guest under the age of 18 shall be permitted to engage in any gaming activities on board the ship. No Guest under the age of 18 shall be permitted to purchase cigarettes or tobacco products. Indoor areas onboard the vessels are non-smoking and smoking is only permitted in designated sections. Outdoor smoking areas are clearly posted throughout the vessel. Smoking is prohibited in Guest staterooms and balconies. Violations to the onboard onboard smoking policy will result in a $250 cleaning fee for each occurrence, which will be charged to Your stateroom account. Repeated violations may result in You being disembarked prior to the end of the Voyage without any refund. The use of electronic cigarettes is allowed within the confines of the Guest's stateroom (balcony not included) and within designated smoking areas only.

Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage. A corkage fee of $20.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s public areas. Any wine(s) or champagne(s) supplied by the Carrier to You as a gift are not subject to a corkage fee. At embarkation, all luggage is subject to scanning for suspected alcohol in excess of the one bottle policy as provided herein. Your luggage is subject to a secondary inspection by a security team operating under CCTV (closed circuit surveillance) or in the event Your luggage is locked, You may be notified and are required to attend the secondary inspection where any alcohol found in violation of the one bottle policy will be removed and discarded. Carrier shall not be responsible for any loss, cost, disappointment or damage of any kind as a result of any alcoholic beverages removed in violation of the one bottle policy. You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last night of the voyage. Carrier reserves the right to remove alcohol at the gangway should it determine that the health, comfort, safety and enjoyment of Guests may otherwise be compromised.

Guests who will enter the 24th week of pregnancy by the last day of the Voyage agree not to book the Voyage or to board the vessel. You further agree to abide by all age, gender or other eligibility requirements applicable to any other activities, services or facilities available during the Voyage, including but not limited to those associated with use of any spa facilities, and to ensure that You supervise the use of any such facilities by any minor in your care. There may be age restrictions applicable to activities on the ship and ashore, which are established for the safety and well-being of all participants. Carrier and all independent contractors, as the case may be, reserve the right to revise eligibility requirements for activities during the voyage or ashore for safety or other lawful reasons from time to time, and with which each Guest agrees to comply.

Carnival plc, trading as Cunard Line, as Operator.

March 2016

So, in 25 words or less, we can? or cannot bring a few bottles of wine onboard to be enjoyed in our cabin? We'd never think of taking it into a public area. From the sounds of the above, it means we can't take any more than a single bottle onboard.....?

25 minutes ago, jimbo1683 said:

Except for one bottle of wine or champagne per person of legal drinking age

Sigh....too bad. I get it, but Cunard was one of the last hold outs for "adult" cabin consumption, or even paying the extra corkage for a few special bottles in the Grills.. We never had a problem with that......oh well, another one bites the dust.....

This thread sure has gone in a direction I wasn't expecting. Since the subject of this thread is "Is Cunard cracking down?", I was expecting the emphatic answer to be "No, Cunard is not cracking down."

As I mentioned in my earlier reply, Cunard's US Passage Contract has stated since at least March 2016 that there is a limit of one bottle of wine or champagne per person which may be brought on board. The Cunard FAQ states that limit in one place and contradicts it in another place. In practice, Cunard has never enforced that limit to my knowledge. This has been the subject of many previous discussions on this forum.

If Cunard has actually started enforcing that limit on alcohol brought on board on any of the sailings since the resumption of service, I would love to hear about it. I would have expected that to be big news on this forum before now.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

Sigh....too bad. I get it, but Cunard was one of the last hold outs for "adult" cabin consumption, or even paying the extra corkage for a few special bottles in the Grills.. We never had a problem with that......oh well, another one bites the dust.....

Carnivalisation continues.  The next item to receive the “C” word will be?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Thanks, @Host Hattie. I even contributed to that earlier thread to mention the contradictory information found in the FAQ about limits to alcohol brought on board. Duh!

• Like 1

If another Carnivalisation removes the adult option to bring aboard beverages of choice, although a tad disappointed, one will just increase the number of the good bottles and alcoholic drinks purchased.

Having made the decision to pay for a cruise line of choice, one is then happy paying to have the onboard experiences one wishes.

Enjoyment in exchange for a few hundred dollars is a no brainer.

We disembarked this morning. When we got on on the first we had some bottled water and some cans of beer. We brought more water and bottled beer on board in Lanzarote as well. And wine in Madeira. No comment was made when things were scanned as we got on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having just disembarked, I can confirm that the one-bottle rule was not enforced, neither in Southampton or New York. In Southampton we bought 6 bottles of liquor that are harder to obtain or much more expensive in the States. We would not have cared if they had been confiscated, since they were intended for consumption at home, not on board. They were all in one bag, and the x-ray operator didn't blink. As we had a few days in New York, using the QM2 as our hotel, we also went liquor shopping there. We bought three additional bottles. Again, the security staff had no concerns. it was clear that they were far more concerned about metal objects than booze.

• Like 1

P.S. Drydock Wines & Spirits is a great little shop on Van Brunt St about a 15 minute walk from the Brooklyn Terminal. There's also a wine shop across the street, the name of which escapes me. We encountered one of the QM2 sommeliers there, when we stopped in before a 2019 voyage.

2 hours ago, frankp01 said:

Having just disembarked, I can confirm that the one-bottle rule was not enforced, neither in Southampton or New York. In Southampton we bought 6 bottles of liquor that are harder to obtain or much more expensive in the States. We would not have cared if they had been confiscated, since they were intended for consumption at home, not on board. They were all in one bag, and the x-ray operator didn't blink. As we had a few days in New York, using the QM2 as our hotel, we also went liquor shopping there. We bought three additional bottles. Again, the security staff had no concerns. it was clear that they were far more concerned about metal objects than booze.

Bottoms up, Phil!

On 12/12/2021 at 2:15 PM, PORT ROYAL said:

Cunard Terms & Conditions clearly state NO

They always have (the US booking terms, not, as I understand, the UK terms).

Pretty difficult to enforce since either US or UK passengers may board in New York or Southampton.

Long story short, the actual restrictions/permissions have not changed.