Live on the Koningsdam 12/12 - 12/19 Mexican Riviera

sergel02

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

@sergel02If you are looking for a quick snack or sweet treat be sure to check out the Grand Dutch Cafe on Deck 3.  Food is free, drinks are not but you don’t have to get something to drink to enjoy their treats.  My favorite place for a light lunch.

Thanks for the advice! We decided to take you up on the advice and tried the poffertjes and they were amazing! Anyone know how to pronounce them though?

Some things about Cabo specifically:

Day 3: December 14, 2021

- Clocks forward an hour.

- We were going to go an explore Cabo for a few hours on our own. Sadly my IBS had other plans so we only stayed around an hour before coming back.

- The tender takes 10 minutes. You needed a ticket at the start but then they started running so frequently you didn’t need that anymore.

- Weather is around 81F/27C and 55% humidity. Definitely felt warm. 

- Lots of sea lions and pelicans around. 

- You DO NOT need to book a shore excursion to off the ship onto shore, but they do want you to wear a mask. Not everyone was though on port but some of those not wearing may have been non-cruise tourists. Many workers seem to be masking in shops and restaurants.

- Lots of touristy things around port like Diamonds International and Senor Frog. 

- Apparently there’s a yacht in the bay that is owned by a lady from Europe who comes every December to buy silver. This is info from me overhearing the balcony next to us. 

- I didn’t have lunch there due to my stomach by the bugs sure thought I was a snack judging from my bite marks. There’s lots of places to eat though, and bring bug repellant if you’re prone to bug bites. 

- Since didn’t spend much time in port, we sadly didn’t get to shop or dine. I feel bad as a cruiser when I don’t spend some money in port, since that is a common criticism of cruisers: we don’t really eat meals or stay in hotels, so if don’t spend money what are we really contributing? But sometimes it happens, like today. 

- We will be in Mazatlán tomorrow but probably just look around port.

- We will be in Puerto Vallarta The day after. We want to take a short excursion since we’ve enjoyed the information and cultural context the guides provide, and probably look around the area afterwards. Anyone have any recommendations for excursions that aren’t too strenuous or ones to avoid? Any sights we must see?

- I tried to post this many times and Cruise Critic was like “no you’re not” so don’t be shocked if there are like 4 duplicates. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sergel02 said:

- We will be in Puerto Vallarta The day after. We want to take a short excursion since we’ve enjoyed the information and cultural context the guides provide, and probably look around the area afterwards. Anyone have any recommendations for excursions that aren’t too strenuous or ones to avoid? Any sights we must see?

In PV, avoid the Cuale River area ---- tons of biting bugs.

1 hour ago, sergel02 said:

Thanks for the advice! We decided to take you up on the advice and tried the poffertjes and they were amazing! Anyone know how to pronounce them though?

- We were going to go an explore Cabo for a few hours on our own. Sadly my IBS had other plans so we only stayed around an hour before coming back.

- The tender takes 10 minutes. You needed a ticket at the start but then they started running so frequently you didn’t need that anymore.

- You DO NOT need to book a shore excursion to off the ship onto shore, but they do want you to wear a mask. Not everyone was though on port but some of those not wearing may have been non-cruise tourists. Many workers seem to be masking in shops and restaurants.

- Lots of touristy things around port like Diamonds International and Senor Frog. 

- Apparently there’s a yacht in the bay that is owned by a lady from Europe who comes every December to buy silver. This is info from me overhearing the balcony next to us. 

- I didn’t have lunch there due to my stomach by the bugs sure thought I was a snack judging from my bite marks. There’s lots of places to eat though, and bring bug repellant if you’re prone to bug bites. 

- Since didn’t spend much time in port, we sadly didn’t get to shop or dine. I feel bad as a cruiser when I don’t spend some money in port, since that is a common criticism of cruisers: we don’t really eat meals or stay in hotels, so if don’t spend money what are we really contributing? But sometimes it happens, like today. 

- I tried to post this many times and Cruise Critic was like “no you’re not” so don’t be shocked if there are like 4 duplicates. 

I really enjoyed a shorex I did a few years ago.  It think it’s called rare spirits.  You need to enjoy a cocktail or it won’t be for you.

We have done two different excursions on our the two cruises to Puerto Vallarta. Both included tours of the Old Town section of Puerto Vallarta. The first on a coach bus was to the Tequila Don Engracia distillery for lunch and entertainment. The excursion last week in mini-vans was to La Dulca Vista Distillery and Resort for a cooking class. There was some extreme gravel road travel up and down the mountain.

You probably could catch a cab/Uber to the Old Town area and the Puerto Vallarta Malecon. Just remember to drink from sealed bottles.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sergel02 said:

I see you were looking for a short excursion, and unfortunately, my suggestion isn't.  The next time you are in PV and are looking for something longer, try the excursion to San Sebastian, an old colonial town in the mountains. When we took it, it was a small group of around 12 people.  We had a stop at a local tequila factory, lunch at a small restaurant, tour of a coffee factory, and an hour or so to wander around the town.  My dad has a walker, and he was able to get around during the tour. 

L.

45.jpg

50.jpg

52.jpg

54.jpg

Edited by leerathje
  • Like 6

Day 3 Mazatlán: December 15, 2021

Not much for me to say today because we didn’t leave the ship. A few things about today and I’m general:

- The ship docked in the cargo shipping port, so you’re maybe a couple miles from the hub of activity. The Carnival Panorama was docked with us.

- The ship was sounding for 4 people after it was supposed to depart. I assume they weren’t in board. Hopefully they made it on.

- Ate at Tamarind for dinner. It was decent, but not sure if it was worth the $29 surcharge. Hearing EXO being played tripped me up and made the whole experience worth it though.

- The public bathrooms having actual towels for drying is a nice, luxurious touch, and a bit more eco-friendly too.

- Saw BBC Earth: Planet II with the live band, Bleeding Fingers I think. IT WAS FANTASTIC! The music was great and cinematography good. The first video on the 2nd day was just a video but it utilized the stage wonderfully. I also love the emphasis on the environment. Honestly a highlight for HAL for me. 

• Like 6

On 12/13/2021 at 10:56 PM, sergel02 said:

- I took the stairs from deck 3 to 9 for some exercise and regretted many life choices when I finally finished.

I made this mistake on day 1 on my cruise last month and it was a terrible mistake. I completely wrote off the stairs after that. 

On 12/13/2021 at 10:56 PM, sergel02 said:

- Maybe some repeat HAL cruisers can answer, but when does the Lido Buffet usually close? We got there a bit after 8PM to see what they had for dessert, and they were open but closing up. Not sure if it’s usual, because it was Gala night, because of COVID, due to reduced capacity or something else.

On both of my post-covid cruises the Lido closed at 8. I sadly don't have any of the pre-covid When & Wheres.

• Like 2

Koningsdam Passengers — please check your onboard statements on a daily basis, especially if you are a 4 or 5 star Mariner. We are on board right now and are not getting our loyalty discounts (wine package discounts and complementary specialty dining). The front desk told me they are having problems with Food & Beverage Dept billing and are having to apply the discounts manually. I have no idea why this is such a problem. This issue I believe was reported in another forum several weeks ago. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, sergel02 said:

- The ship was sounding for 4 people after it was supposed to depart. I assume they weren’t in board. Hopefully they made it on.

I was sitting with a friend, awaiting sail-away, once when his name was called over the PA. He was asked to check in with the Front Desk, presumably because he was not listed as being on board. 
Clearly he was there. 

The check-in system when returning to the ship doesn't always catch everyone correctly. So, when you hear the names and cabin numbers, sometimes it's something wrong with the system, and not the fault of the passenger. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, trishbk said:

Koningsdam Passengers — please check your onboard statements on a daily basis, especially if you are a 4 or 5 star Mariner. We are on board right now and are not getting our loyalty discounts (wine package discounts and complementary specialty dining). The front desk told me they are having problems with Food & Beverage Dept billing and are having to apply the discounts manually. I have no idea why this is such a problem. This issue I believe was reported in another forum several weeks ago. 

Thanks for this info!  Same old problem, has been going on for years (really!)  Would be nice if HAL could get Food and Bev discounts onto the same system as they use for the Explorations Cafe:  run your room card and the discount is programmed based on your star level. Instant and always correct!   I don't really see why this can't work, as it did from day one with the Explorations Cafe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trishbk said:

I was one of the people that mentioned that.  Every day it was something else.  The second week it did get better.  It was like this on the koningsdam almost 4 years ago and I mentioned that.  The front desk person said it was because they had a new system.  I said isn't a new system supposed to make things better? They have an answer for everything.

Got some shots of the Koningsdam coming into Puerto Vallarta MX this morning Dec. 16, 2021.  Sadly it came in during the dark so photos are not great.  Took a video also of the Koningsdam coming in and tooting 5 times.  Got only 2 toots on the video.

y4m4Wvkty6vIHAwstStoramv4FEOM3MpmAfnfOoe

Link to video on Microsoft OneDrive: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsptL998yK8Hgu4GJSx4OiKRSPVfnQ

y4mAUrgy5l1A_dZVLAOJQaxYTx9904wOUX8dtwlb

y4m94La2FUmFOikB_cihyUItp4q9iqip-e7r-GQC

Areial shot taken Dec. 16, 2021

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I was one of the people that mentioned that.  Every day it was something else.  The second week it did get better.  It was like this on the koningsdam almost 4 years ago and I mentioned that.  The front desk person said it was because they had a new system.  I said isn't a new system supposed to make things better? They have an answer for everything.

I thought that was you! Many thanks for giving us info about your cruise. I would have thought they would have fixed it by now since it has been several weeks since your cruise. 

2 hours ago, trishbk said:

I thought that was you! Many thanks for giving us info about your cruise. I would have thought they would have fixed it by now since it has been several weeks since your cruise. 

No problem.  It’s actually been bad for 4 years on the k.  Lots of errors when I sailed this ship in early 2018 as well as last month. I really don’t understand it.  Ive got a lot of days on hal ships and generally I don’t see too many errors so I don’t understand.  There has to be something fundamentally wrong.  It certainly won’t keep me from sailing on the ship but I’d rather not spend my vacation at the front desk.

16 hours ago, trishbk said:

I was told when I was onboard discounts are done by the accounting department at the end of the cruise. Because I was staying in a Neptune suite the concierge pestered someone in accounting until it happened. I have zero confidence it would have happened otherwise. Very tedious to have to monitor so closely, but I still pre-book because I want to make sure that I get the times and locations that I want. Maybe they will fix this process by the time I come back in March (but I am not holding my breath on that one). 

On 12/15/2021 at 8:08 PM, Bookited said:

Have been to Puerto Vallarta multiple times and San Sebastion is still my favorite!

We loved it also, but the cobblestone streets annoyed some of our group. I loved the history about the place and precautions that they had to take to get the silver out of the town without having it stolen.