Omicron - anyone canceling an upcoming cruise?

kj_connections

My workplace is asking everyone to come back to the office in January. I actually will feel safer on the cruise than going back to the office because:

• Our office is saying vaccinated people don't have to wear masks in the office, even though our 'open seating plan' has us all sitting very close together. Mask wearing in indoor spaces will be more common on the cruise ship, even for vaccinated passengers
  • Our office has no requirements to be recently tested negative before coming in to the office. Our cruise will be requiring negative tests 48 hours or sooner before departing

So, no, I won't be canceling my cruise because I think it's SAFER than my office and other places I'll be going to on a regular basis.

• Like 6

On 12/13/2021 at 11:36 PM, Reenie75 said:

If the cruise cancels or restrictions say Canadians (I'm Canadian☺) refund or credit for another cruise most likely would happen. We are sailing March 5th.

We're sailing March 5 as well. Going down Thursday, via Toronto.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 7:40 AM, karmamule said:

....So, no, I won't be canceling my cruise because I think it's SAFER than my office and other places I'll be going to on a regular basis.

I hope common sense prevails and masks will not be a political issue;  personally I do not feel comfortable jammed  into crowded elevators anywhere.

• Like 1

We cancelled when MSC changed the itinerary and offered a refund last month.  No idea when it will show up.  

We cancelled partly because of covid, but also due to MSC changing the itinerary and cabin assignments even though I already purchased my air and insurance.

• Like 1

I have been on 2 cruises so far and another coming in March. Almost never wore a mask.  I have been trying to understand this whole mask vaccination thing. I personally don't wear a mask most of the time unless It is 100 percent mandatory by law or in a hospital. Now if you wear a mask, and I don't, wouldn't  you be protected?  So why would any one care about any one else not wearing a mask. I am Vaxed with booster, new study shows super immunity for those that get covid while triple Vaxed and show very little symptoms if contracted. So I say let Masks be optional! And for those who feel uncomfortable Reconsider travel.

• Like 3

We are both vaxed and now boosted, booked to sale Feb.6/22. Yes, we are going to cancel, the spread is so fast (news) so even if you don’t realize you have contracted it, no sail for you. Not going through the hoops to get there to find we have contracted from a “ no fax for me or no mask when in public for me” as they could be spreading with out knowing. 

• Like 1

Postcards I respect that 100 percent and say that people like you that  make a conscious decisions on what is right for you and family is the right choice... Here in Florida there is no mask mandate, and is actually illegal to mandate. So I say stay safe and follow  your gut... Hopefully this all ends soon!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have cancelled my cruise on the MSC Seashore leaving Miami tomorrow. I feel that the cruise will still be a go but with all the travel issues etc (Travelling form Canada) I feel that I would have not enjoyed the cruise to the fullest, and with the fact that I am not the wealthiest person, and have to save up for a cruise, I would just rather not go. 

• Like 3

On 12/19/2021 at 6:22 PM, kym05 said:

I have been on 2 cruises so far and another coming in March. Almost never wore a mask.  I have been trying to understand this whole mask vaccination thing. I personally don't wear a mask most of the time unless It is 100 percent mandatory by law or in a hospital. Now if you wear a mask, and I don't, wouldn't  you be protected?  So why would any one care about any one else not wearing a mask. I am Vaxed with booster, new study shows super immunity for those that get covid while triple Vaxed and show very little symptoms if contracted. So I say let Masks be optional! And for those who feel uncomfortable Reconsider travel.

This is a common misconception. Wearing a mask is to protect others, not yourself, in case you currently have a covid 19 infection even if symptom free. Masks have been shown to be ineffective at preventing you from getting covid 19 if exposed to it, but *have* proven effective at stopping you from spreading covid to others if you are already infected.

That's why it's important that other people wear masks, not just yourself.

An excerpt from CDC's site:

Masks are a simple barrier to help prevent your respiratory droplets from reaching others. Studies show that masks reduce the spray of droplets when worn over the nose and mouth.

You should wear a mask, even if you do not feel sick. This is because several studies have found that people with COVID-19 who never develop symptoms (asymptomatic) and those who are not yet showing symptoms (pre-symptomatic) can still spread the virus to other people. Wearing a mask helps protect those around you, in case you are infected but not showing symptoms.

Edited by karmamule
  • Like 5

And then people remove their masks in the dining areas and on airplanes as they eat or drink. That is where mask wearing falls apart. So, you can spend 90% of your awake time in a mask and then be full on exposed in the buffet or MDR. An exercise in futility.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

And then people remove their masks in the dining areas and on airplanes as they eat or drink. That is where mask wearing falls apart. So, you can spend 90% of your awake time in a mask and then be full on exposed in the buffet or MDR. An exercise in futility.  

No protection during the meal, true. However, do you really suppose the only time you would catch it is during meals?

The idea is to combine precautions as much as is feasible, when around other people.

I don't know how much of your day is spent eating and drinking, but intercepting micro-bits of contagion that MIGHT be flying out of your mouth & nose the rest of your day is not an exercise in futility.

• Like 5

On 12/19/2021 at 6:40 PM, kym05 said:

Postcards I respect that 100 percent and say that people like you that  make a conscious decisions on what is right for you and family is the right choice... Here in Florida there is no mask mandate, and is actually illegal to mandate. So I say stay safe and follow  your gut... Hopefully this all ends soon!

Thanks for the heads up!  Now, I know I just have to survive in Florida from my flight arrival to the next day when I wear my mask to board the ship!  I hope if you are on my sailing you do what is right (and required by the cruise line!) while on board.

• Like 3

We sailed in November. We took every precaution we could to be sure we were able to board ship .

Then on board , we’re very careful. we were tested again for B2B.  

Now, with rapid changes regarding Omicron, we have moved our Feb cruise to October.
Lost our OBC and perks but, we have time to see how things play out.

Cancelled cruise in Mediterranean with MSC 2 weeks ago. Deposit to be refunded within 6 weeks 🙄🤞🏼

• Like 2

We have just pulled the plug on a 7 nighter on Seaview, due to sail on 13 February. Canadian restrictions to get back home are tedious at best.  Entry requirements in St-Martin are not a joyous matter. 

Cruise embarkation was changed from Point-á-Pitre (Guadeloupe) to Philipsburg. Flights get more complicated for us. 

MSC is offering a small OBC if we choose to cancel with a FCC, which is fine with us.

• Like 1

I wish I could cancel. I don't want to go in less than 2 weeks but I can't without having to use the funds on another and I have too many travel plans thru 2023.

I would not be happy if the shows were cancelled and being given $100 obc.

Why should someone in an inside cabin get 20% of their fare back and someone in YC gets 2% back.

I also have read that part of the spa is closed? That is also included in YC. If it's not open I will want a refund for that value as well.

They took away GC already and have a sea day with no option to cancel in an email I got.

We are on the Seashore in the YC on February 5th. We are tripled faxed, and have tried to lead as normal as lives as possible throughout Covid. We have no concerns about cruising, but it appears factors outside our control may intervene: "CDC Investigating 86 Cruise Ships With Covid-19 Cases". This is the headline from a story in today's WSJ. Interesting quote: Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D., Conn.) on Tuesday said cruises should stop operating, calling them “petri dishes of COVID infection” in a tweet. “Time for CDC & cruise lines to protect consumers & again pause—docking their ships,” he said. It looks like the government may be teeing up another cruise halt. I suspect Florida/DeSantis will challenge and it will be up to the court's to decide.

It appears Omicron has a fairly short spread life and is a milder variant of Covid based on South African data. Therefore, it is possible Omicron will be yesterday's news by February. Of course, there are likely more variants. Unless the cruise experience becomes akin to seven days in jail based on new restrictions, or flying to Florida becomes next to impossible based on flight cancellations or other restrictions, we plan on being at the pier on February 5th.

We are scheduled for a chartered Holland America cruise in mid February. The entertainment and many passengers will be coming from The Republic of Ireland and the U.K. Is the anyone from Ireland and/or the U.K. who is willing to venture a guess as to the chances of the cruise going.

4 minutes ago, Sunburg1 said:

We are scheduled for a chartered Holland America cruise in mid February. The entertainment and many passengers will be coming from The Republic of Ireland and the U.K. Is the anyone from Ireland and/or the U.K. who is willing to venture a guess as to the chances of the cruise going.

I will bet you get a better number of guesses if you post this on Holland America rather than MSC.

• Like 2

On 12/28/2021 at 11:38 AM, JAGR said:

Thanks for the heads up!  Now, I know I just have to survive in Florida from my flight arrival to the next day when I wear my mask to board the ship!  I hope if you are on my sailing you do what is right (and required by the cruise line!) while on board.

Hey JAGR, I really hope this all ends quickly! Since writing this post my wife and I have tested positive and 4 days later negative.(PCR) We are boosted and showed little to almost no symptoms. I just want to be able to go on a cruise, see smiles and everyone enjoying themselves. Just caught a cold that knocked me out, yes self tested its a cold. Horrible cold =(   JAGR  I think everyone who is considering travel and afraid of Covid should reconsider travel until this Omicron variant settles down because it seems its going to infect everyone. Stay safe 

• Like 1