Canned Water

bmill7272

7 hours ago, crzndeb said:

He’s on the Ovation. There are kettles in the cabins (even interiors).

Am I the only one that thinks those kettles look kinda yucky? Lot's of places to get hot water onboard or just call room service.

On 12/20/2021 at 2:41 PM, bmill7272 said:

Anyone know what a single 12 ounce can of water costs on Oasis of the Seas?

I’ve noticed RC sells a 12 pack of 12 ounce cans of water for $15.99, but that figures out to be $14.21for a gallon.

Is that a budget buster?

16 hours ago, JuliaMS said:

The water taste fine. But, my feet always swell on a cruise, and only on a cruise. They say the sodium content is supposed to be low but I only drank bottled water this cruise and no swelling. 

Unless you are in a suite (Maybe?) no making coffee or tea in room.

We started ordering bottled water after my feet swelling on cruises - and reading on CC that it was likely due to drinking tap water and water in the restaurants. They desalinate - but I think the remaining salt content in the water is still higher than normal.  I've had no more swelling after sticking just to bottled water.  

I like the suggestions from others to get a couple Pellegrino bottles to fill from the cans!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moonltnite said:

They desalinate - but I think the remaining salt content in the water is still higher than normal.  I've had no more swelling after sticking just to bottled water.  

The latest water quality report for your home town shows sodium levels of 8.75-9.55ppm.  Ship's desalination plants make water typically at 0-1ppm (for flash distillers) or 0-10ppm (for reverse osmosis water makers).  

Carrying a bottle of water around with you makes you more aware of how much water you are drinking, so you tend to drink more.  Not drinking a lot of water can actually lead to swelling, as the salts already in your body become more concentrated.  Also, low potassium levels in distilled water can lead to water retention, so things like nuts, bananas, and spinach can alleviate.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ashland said:

Am I the only one that thinks those kettles look kinda yucky? Lot's of places to get hot water onboard or just call room service.

Just ask your stateroom attendant to remove it.

On Harmony they had pop top cans of water.  Makes it difficult if you want to add flavoring, shake up, and carry around the ship with you.  If that's what they are going to now, we'll just take a 6-pack of 1/2 liter plastic bottles on with us and refill them from the cans.  I noticed Celebrity has screw top cans which would work for us.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 7:21 PM, Cigar King said:

On Harmony we had cans the second week,  No difference in taste at all.  Not as convenient to reseal, so I poured them into some bottles I had left over.

That is what we did last week with the D+ cans we received.  The water was fine, but they didn’t completely fill the small Aquafina bottles I got at the Hyatt pre-cruise.

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The latest water quality report for your home town shows sodium levels of 8.75-9.55ppm.  Ship's desalination plants make water typically at 0-1ppm (for flash distillers) or 0-10ppm (for reverse osmosis water makers).  

Carrying a bottle of water around with you makes you more aware of how much water you are drinking, so you tend to drink more.  Not drinking a lot of water can actually lead to swelling, as the salts already in your body become more concentrated.  Also, low potassium levels in distilled water can lead to water retention, so things like nuts, bananas, and spinach can alleviate.

Good luck chief… people believe that the ships water is making them swell. No matter how many times “proven” wrong.😇😆

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Good luck chief… people believe that the ships water is making them swell. No matter how many times “proven” wrong.😇😆

Wouldn’t the swelling come from all the sodium they put in the food? That’s why people with HBP like me are advised not to eat out alot.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maitaivegas said:

Wouldn’t the swelling come from all the sodium they put in the food? That’s why people with HBP like me are advised not to eat out alot.

Most likely.  I don’t think a scientific study has ever been tried.😆

23 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

I actually have no issue with people drinking bottled water, if that is what they want to spend their money on.  It is the plastic bottles that upset me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

I actually have no issue with people drinking bottled water, if that is what they want to spend their money on.  It is the plastic bottles that upset me.

Me either, but I don’t have the delusion that I will not have increased salt intake while on a cruise.  I don’t even mind plastic bottles, because I can seal the bottle.  I like that and find it convenient, and if it was not so common, might conclude it is pure genius.  

JC

4 hours ago, Auntiemomo said:

Just ask your stateroom attendant to remove it.

On Harmony they had pop top cans of water.  Makes it difficult if you want to add flavoring, shake up, and carry around the ship with you.  If that's what they are going to now, we'll just take a 6-pack of 1/2 liter plastic bottles on with us and refill them from the cans.  I noticed Celebrity has screw top cans which would work for us.

They don't need to remove it...I just don't use it.

20 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

I'm going to bring some empty water bottles and a small funnel to pour the water into bottles to reseal.  

Sherri...you can still bring on your allowed 12 bottles of water.  Then keep those to refill.  Worked for me.  😉 

12 hours ago, Ashland said:

No, you are not alone.  That kettle is the first thing I stash behind something to get it out of the way, giving me more room on the counter.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, moonltnite said:

We started ordering bottled water after my feet swelling on cruises - and reading on CC that it was likely due to drinking tap water and water in the restaurants. They desalinate - but I think the remaining salt content in the water is still higher than normal.  I've had no more swelling after sticking just to bottled water.  

I like the suggestions from others to get a couple Pellegrino bottles to fill from the cans!

I find the food is extremely salted down...way more than I would at home.  Still can't figure why the chefs seem to think they need to dump the salt on the food by the pound.  There are still salt shakers and those little individual salt packs to use on your food if you need more.  

IMHO...it's the salty food.  The "sea water" sodium we are drinking is minor compared to the food.  

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

I find the food is extremely salted down...way more than I would at home.  Still can't figure why the chefs seem to think they need to dump the salt on the food by the pound.  There are still salt shakers and those little individual salt packs to use on your food if you need more.  

IMHO...it's the salty food.  The "sea water" sodium we are drinking is minor compared to the food.  

Kathy claims I turn my food white with salt then black with pepper. 🧂🧂

12 hours ago, Ashland said:

Not to dispute you, but yucky how? A mineral buildup on the bottom of the kettle? Dirty? Tea stained? Boiling hot water does a pretty good job of sterilizing something.

• Thanks 1

The canned water while taste is fine to me is terrible since once you open the can you are done.....cant reseal. Was wasting half filled cans like crazy. Who wants to walk around with an opened can of water...cant put it back in your bag or backpack.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SeattleAl said:

Not to dispute you, but yucky how? A mineral buildup on the bottom of the kettle? Dirty? Tea stained? Boiling hot water does a pretty good job of sterilizing something.

All of the above..I'm not going to boil that water hoping it will sanitize it then drink that water :classic_wacko: