Final Payment Date approaching. Concerned about Omicron

RickT

16 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

We are in the position of a soon-to-be PIF date as well. I have a good deal with great perks for the cruise, so I am reluctant to cancel it. I think that I will make sure that I have HAL's Platinum insurance to ensure Cancel for Any Reason. That would give me a chance to see exactly how things are in March before our April cruise.

Sorry to say but if you are Canadian, you cannot subscribe to the website PLATINUM insurance plan

48 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

What?????  Where did you get that info from.  I've taken it on every cruise I've had for many, many years.  You need to purchase it the day before final payment.

THANK YOU! That allays some fears for me. I need to double check that PIF date to make sure that I can buy the plan.

3 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

THANK YOU! That allays some fears for me. I need to double check that PIF date to make sure that I can buy the plan.

Now a couple things, if you have a non refundable fare you needed to purchase it when you made the deposit.  Also one thing I like is that if you purchase Hal’s air there is no up charge to cover the air.  In case I’m not clear if your cruise was $3000 and air was $1000, you  would only pay on the $3000 not $4000 but everything is covered.  I’ve been buying premium economy or business class lately so I like that.  Hopefully I haven’t mentioned this already in this thread.

18 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Now a couple things, if you have a non refundable fare you needed to purchase it when you made the deposit.  Also one thing I like is that if you purchase Hal’s air there is no up charge to cover the air.  In case I’m not clear if your cruise was $3000 and air was $1000, you  would only pay on the $3000 not $4000 but everything is covered.  I’ve been buying premium economy or business class lately so I like that.  Hopefully I haven’t mentioned this already in this thread.

Thanks! Yes, I booked this cruise over a year ago, and bought HAL air for the trip months ago. I had good luck with Flight Ease when we did the Mediterranean in 2019, so and knowing the ease of cancelling air (worst cast scenario) was in my mind when we did that.  Good to know that it is the cost of the cruise (not plus air) when we do that. Hoping to get that done early in the new year.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 4:58 AM, Babr said:

From my perspective, I’m not worried about dying from this virus. I don’t want to spend a lot of money for a substandard experience - testing at every turn, masking, quarantining, perhaps closed ports or limited excursions. 

We’ve been dealing with this pandemic for nearly two years. Why would I think travel in general or cruising will be vastly different in a few months?  

As I posted on a similar topic, I just returned from a 2-week business trip to Europe during a big COVID spike.  I dealt with COVID procedures from the airport to restaurants, but it did not prevent me doing what I needed to do and I even managed a little sight seeing on the side.

Wearing a mask in winter weather was a bonus as it kept me warm.  The quick antigen test (to return to the USA) is nothing; a $25 fee and I had the results in 10 minutes.  You will need your vaccine card for just about everything.

In my case the trip was critical for my job, for others a cruise now may be one of the last few opportunities before old age kicks in.  Some people just can't wait for years for COVID to go away and in fact it probably never will.

Get vaccinated with booster, take precautions (N95 mask) and go!

igraf

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, igraf said:

As I posted on a similar topic, I just returned from a 2-week business trip to Europe during a big COVID spike.  I dealt with COVID procedures from the airport to restaurants, but it did not prevent me doing what I needed to do and I even managed a little sight seeing on the side.

Wearing a mask in winter weather was a bonus as it kept me warm.  The quick antigen test (to return to the USA) is nothing; a $25 fee and I had the results in 10 minutes.  You will need your vaccine card for just about everything.

In my case the trip was critical for my job, for others a cruise now may be one of the last few opportunities before old age kicks in.  Some people just can't wait for years for COVID to go away and in fact it probably never will.

Get vaccinated with booster, take precautions (N95 mask) and go!

igraf

Thank you for the encouragement. It is just that mask wearing is the least of the inconveniences visited upon cruisers. As cases rise, we find more  cases of on-board disruptions to service from cancelled shows to reduced staff, quarantined passengers, and denied entry at ports. While I’ve been looking forward to travel, I think I’ll continue to hold off on cruising for now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

They are decent masks.  I do realize they aren’t medical grade before someone says they are useless.

Those are the same CC posters who told us back in early 2020 that no vaccine had ever been developed in less than 5 years. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2021 at 6:18 AM, silversneakers said:

I am also concerned about Canada closing ports and I believe Santa Barbara is closed to cruise ships until the end of March (so far)....but correct me if I'm wrong. 

It would be simple for Santa Barbara to say they’re banning ship calls until March, simply because Pacific Coastal cruises don’t operate anywhere north of LA/Catalina during the dead of Winter (Jan/Feb). 

The first call to Santa Barbara of any cruise line appears to be Majestic Princess on March 16. 

It’s kind of like Winter 2020/2021 when Canada banished cruises. Easy peasy to do so because no major cruise lines call there at that time of year anyway. 

• Like 2

On 12/21/2021 at 1:45 PM, bennybear said:

The problem I see right now with how rapidly Omicron is spreading is that you can test negative in the morning and be positive in the evening.  So with the tests 72 hours out, some cases will be missed.  And my understanding is that domestic US travel does not need vaccination or negative tests.  I am hoping I am wrong, but seems like a perfect storm is on the horizon. 

Our US Rules are strange indeed.  Consider that anyone flying into the USA (from out of the country) must have a negative COVID test within a day of their flight.  But those coming off a cruise ship do not need any test and as you said, there are currently no requirements for vaccinations or testing for those taking domestic flights.  In addition. anyone entering the USA illegally by simply crossing the Mexican border does not need to be vaccinated or tested and, in some cases, will actually be put on domestic flights and/or buses.  So, in a sense, the tax payors are actually funding the spread of COVID by paying the cost of moving untested folks around the country.  

So I do think you might have a very good point about a perfect storm for a very bad COVID winter.  We are already seeing the impact on cruises with multiple ships missing ports due to onboard COVID and increasing cruise reservation cancellations because potential cruisers do not want to gamble on the chance of "cruises to nowhere."   We have only heard of one cruise line (Viking) implementing frequent and sometimes daily COVID testing which is arguably an aggressive policy to head off onboard outbreaks.

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/25/2021 at 7:43 AM, albingirl said:

Speaking of masks, I really like the HAL cloth ones.  We bought several extra when we were on board.  They are very comfortable and wash well.

I also really like the HAL masks. I didn't realize you could purchase them. Do you recall how much they cost?

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Not wanting to rain on the parade, but cloth masks are not the best choice.  You really need n95 or equivalents.

I’m pretty sure most people know that.  Have you tried to buy some n95 lately?  I ordered some from Amazon on nov 27 and I’m still waiting for them.  There were suggestions on the Canadian board.  Every place I checked they are sold out.  Maybe you can get them at Costco.  You couldn’t pay me to go there.  I’ve also seen people that think you can wear them days and days 🤮.  That would be no.

Edited by Florida_gal_50