Final Payment Date approaching. Concerned about Omicron

RickT

6 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

I say trust your gut and be happy. Personally, I am not planning to cancel my cruise on Rotterdam on April 3, but I've already been on two cruises (July and November--no issues with coronavirus) and I'm triple-vaccinated and don't mind wearing a mask if I have to. I've read that because Omicron is so transmissible, it will rapidly lead to many infections but also dissipate quickly (peaking in late January). I have also read that scientists don't have enough evidence yet to tell whether Omicron causes less-serious illness than other variants, but we should know soon given the speed of Omicron. I do know one guy who is in his 70s and is vaccinated and has Covid right now and his symptoms have been very mild. Of course, that's anecdotal. 

Oh I do hope that will be true omicron.  It's hard to have hope anymore.

OP I have a cruise booked for spring and I made final payment because I felt the price was good.  Who knows if that will happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, albingirl said:

There are always going to be concerns.  We just disembarked from a cruise this week and were quite dismayed at the number of people who walked  into the Lido without disinfecting their hands.  The clincher for me is when people point at the food over the plexiglass, over the food, when really common sense should tell them that is a no.  Seriously, these servers really do understand English and you don't need to point over the plexiglass at the offerings.

On my cruise a lady was trying to move the plexiglass so she could get to the dessert faster.  There was only one person in front of here.  I can say with certainty I'd never be hungry enough to do that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

I say trust your gut and be happy. Personally, I am not planning to cancel my cruise on Rotterdam on April 3, but I've already been on two cruises (July and November--no issues with coronavirus) and I'm triple-vaccinated and don't mind wearing a mask if I have to. I've read that because Omicron is so transmissible, it will rapidly lead to many infections but also dissipate quickly (peaking in late January). I have also read that scientists don't have enough evidence yet to tell whether Omicron causes less-serious illness than other variants, but we should know soon given the speed of Omicron. I do know one guy who is in his 70s and is vaccinated and has Covid right now and his symptoms have been very mild. Of course, that's anecdotal. 

The problem is the the new variant is very contagious and affecting fully vaccinated. I would hate to be on a ship, fully masked, in quarantine for the entire cruise and never being able to step off the ship.  For every infected person there are many that will be placed in quarantine for exposure. It will get worse after the holiday gatherings so buckle up!

• Like 2

We are in the position of a soon-to-be PIF date as well. I have a good deal with great perks for the cruise, so I am reluctant to cancel it. I think that I will make sure that I have HAL's Platinum insurance to ensure Cancel for Any Reason. That would give me a chance to see exactly how things are in March before our April cruise.

• Like 4

And for those who live in Canada, if you test positive, you may be able to quarantine on the ship, but you are not allowed to return to Canada immediately upon disembarcation, and must self-quarantine for 2 weeks before you re-enter Canada.  That's why the NHL has ended all cross-border games.

For those of us who still have to work, not to sure how the boss would feel!

L.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, leerathje said:

And for those who live in Canada, if you test positive, you may be able to quarantine on the ship, but you are not allowed to return to Canada immediately upon disembarcation, and must self-quarantine for 2 weeks before you re-enter Canada.  That's why the NHL has ended all cross-border games.

For those of us who still have to work, not to sure how the boss would feel!

L.

Bringing my work laptop - just in case! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I recently added CPP Platinum to my March sailing right before making final payment. I usually do third party insurance due to the much higher medical limits. In this case I want the flexibility to cancel until as close as possible to departure for any reason. If the departure was tomorrow I would go, but given the uncertainty of everything it has added peace of mind for me in making the final payment. 

• Like 4

We have taken five cruises this year. 

Windstar St Maarten to st Maarten

Crystal Nassau to Nassau

Windstar Barcelona to Athens

Princess Fort Lauderdale to Fort Lauderdale

Crystal San Juan to Miami

No regrets.   Everyone on board is vaccinated and tested. Yes there will be breakthrough cases, but we choose to travel. 

Planning the 2/2/22 Hawaii on Koningsdam (if HAL does not cancel)

Virus is going no where. We always wear a mask and don’t socialized for now. That’s OK.

Went to a Christmas party (50 to 60 people)last Saturday to find out some is sick with covid.Just got the email .

Feel safer on a ship with their protocols. 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, mikebsxm said:

We have final payment in February for the Oosterdam Holy Land cruise in May 2022.   My concern is if Omicron gets worse, will a country like Israel block all cruise ship dockings.   That is the key destination for this cruise.  I have been to Athens and other Greek islands before, my main interest is Israel.  If Israel blocks ship dockings, will HAL allow cancellations after final payment date and refund cruise fare ?

On the news yesterday Israel has stopped all visits from Canada, USA and a bunch of European countries because of high covid counts. Depending on how long the numbers keep going up depends on when the borders open again. We also have a Med cruise planed for July and are hoping for the best.  

Thanks to everyone that replied. Like many of you I am double vaxed and will get my booster soon.  I’m not so much worried about getting Covid as I am about travel restrictions and how to get home in the unlikely event I test positive.  Another concern for my cruise is that it starts in San Diego and ends in Vancouver which could be an issue if Canada once again closes its ports to cruise ships.

I’ll investigate the various cancellation policies and ultimately make my decision as final payment time approaches.

stay safe my friend!

• Like 2

I am also concerned about Canada closing ports and I believe Santa Barbara is closed to cruise ships until the end of March (so far)....but correct me if I'm wrong.  I haven't added travel insurance and I believe I can do so until final payment....serious consideration.  I do have an annual policy (mostly for medical coverage as I am aware how expensive an air lift from a cruise ship can cost) but it wouldn't cover the entire cost of the cruise/air.  Remember the days when looking forward to your cruise alllowed you to enjoy the planning and exhale once aboard!!  Hopefully that feeling will come again soon!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I will offer a positive comment :).  DW and I have cruised for 48 days (on three different ships) since August.  We have followed the protocols and are fully vaccinated (including boosters).  It occurred to me yesterday (as we were disembarking the Enchanted Princess after a 20 day voyage) that DW and I have seldom cruised that many days without at least one of us getting a cold, URI, or some kind of mild GI issue.  We also noticed, when sitting around the ships, that we seldom heard a cough or sneeze.  All the various protocols are actually helpful in heading off norovirus, flu, URIs, etc.  We suspect that some of the changes in the Lido buffets are having a lot of good.  No more sharing of serving implements, folks touching food and then putting it back (have seen this many times), etc.  The amount of sanitizing on ships (now) is simply amazing and appreciated by yours truly.  It is hard to imagine a cleaner environment then what we have seen on our 3 recent voyages :).

Hank

We were on the Eurodam Dec 5-15 and had the same observations on our cruise and flights. It was surprising to very rarely hear a sneeze or a cough. I was a little concerned before the trip having not had a cold for 2 years and being notorious for getting one every start of December that I would get one and it would be a doozy (thinking I had no immunity). Not the slightest feeling of catching anything on this holiday for either of us which has never happened.

Our next cruise is end of May (Norweigen Fjords), and I am still 'relatively' confident we will be going on that one but also very open to changing the trip or itinerary if prudent when the time comes.

• Like 2

Not to be too flippant, but Holland is known for having an older clientele.  The life expectancy of a US female is now 80.5, and for a US male it is down to 75.1.

In other words, some of you are playing with house money...

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

Not to be too flippant, but Holland is known for having an older clientele.  The life expectancy of a US female is now 80.5, and for a US male it is down to 75.1.

On a positive note, that is the life expectancy at birth. By age 65, it increases (since you have now successfully not died from childhood illness, wrapped yourself around a tree driving drunk in your late teens etc.) 

If you make it to 65, your life expectancy becomes around 85 so a few more cruises left for HAL clients 😀

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, silversneakers said:

Remember the days when looking forward to your cruise allowed you to enjoy the planning and exhale once aboard!!  

A friend who is an experienced cruiser is booked on Viking next month; it will be her second attempt to see the Northern Lights.  

Last week she described to me the health requirements, testing, and paperwork needed to fly into Heathrow, board the ship, and return home.  For example: Covid test needed 48 hours before arrival in England. Another test given upon arrival, and after boarding the ship, passengers must go straight to their room to isolate,  and wait for test results to be sent to the ship. This could take up to 2 days. One port has been replaced.

I asked her if when planning the cruise, had she known what she knows now, would she have still booked ? 

Her answer was No. The pre-cruise stress of COVID testing, the narrow time frame required for getting the test, the uncertainty of testing negative in the US and in the UK, and then obtaining required health documents for the airlines, Viking, and the UK has erased any happy anticipation of her trip.  Instead of being excited, she's worried, and tired.  

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PACD_JG said:

Not to be flippant but those of us who are seniors have a shorter period of remaining time to enjoy our lives.  All the more reason to be vaccinated and live one's life to the fullest :). 

Hank

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

A friend who is an experienced cruiser is booked on Viking next month; it will be her second attempt to see the Northern Lights.  

Last week she described to me the health requirements, testing, and paperwork needed to fly into Heathrow, board the ship, and return home.  For example: Covid test needed 48 hours before arrival in England. Another test given upon arrival, and after boarding the ship, passengers must go straight to their room to isolate,  and wait for test results to be sent to the ship. This could take up to 2 days. One port has been replaced.

I asked her if when planning the cruise, had she known what she knows now, would she have still booked ? 

Her answer was No. The pre-cruise stress of COVID testing, the narrow time frame required for getting the test, the uncertainty of testing negative in the US and in the UK, and then obtaining required health documents for the airlines, Viking, and the UK has erased any happy anticipation of her trip.  Instead of being excited, she's worried, and tired.  

I can relate. We were booked on the QM2 crossing to the UK on Jan 3rd and cancelled. We are now sailing on Rotterdam to the Caribbean instead. The UK protocols and requirements are some of the most confusing anywhere and keep changing. A Caribbean cruise round trip from FL is MUCH easier; though we will still need a pre boarding test that is about it. If we kept our UK plans we would've needed at least four tests in in a two week period. Not the relaxing vacation we hoped for especially since our hotel in Scotland wanted no part in helping us find a testing site and the govt website was a dog’s breakfast. 

Edited by Bostonjetset

34 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

Won't Viking allow her to cancel and reschedule? Really not much point of a holiday if the stress outpaces the anticipation of enjoyment.

We were in the same situation last September, had a cruise with Celebrity booked but was not looking forward to it in the weeks leading up to departure. We were able to cancel for for FCC and rebooked that one for September 2022.

1 hour ago, rodndonna said:

On a positive note, that is the life expectancy at birth. By age 65, it increases (since you have now successfully not died from childhood illness, wrapped yourself around a tree driving drunk in your late teens etc.) 

If you make it to 65, your life expectancy becomes around 85 so a few more cruises left for HAL clients 😀

Where did you dig this joyful  information from ?  We are 82 & 83 each & in good health   .Our concern is omnicron  & what it will & can do to the cruise industry . We are booked on 5 cruises starting Dec 2, 2022 . Perhaps science will have not only pills but even a better vaccine out before then .Hope is eternal

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Not to be flippant but those of us who are seniors have a shorter period of remaining time to enjoy our lives.  All the more reason to be vaccinated and live one's life to the fullest :). 

Here's another analogy in case house money wasn't clear enough....

It's Saturday night and you and your mates are going to the bar/club with every intention of finding a 10.  But after several hours the bar/club is about to close, and you've struck out so far.  Isn't it better to go home with the Utah 5 than spend another weekend alone?

If I was anywhere close to 75.1, I'd go cruising asap if that's the type of vacation I truly enjoyed, even knowing it would fall short of my expectations.  After all, you can't take it with you.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

Here's another analogy in case house money wasn't clear enough....

It's Saturday night and you and your mates are going to the bar/club with every intention of finding a 10.  But after several hours the bar/club is about to close, and you've struck out so far.  Isn't it better to go home with the Utah 5 than spend another weekend alone?

If I was anywhere close to 75.1, I'd go cruising asap if that's the type of vacation I truly enjoyed, even knowing it would fall short of my expectations.  After all, you can't take it with you.

True then again you can extend your life  by making  wise decisions 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Where did you dig this joyful  information from ?  We are 82 & 83 each & in good health   .Our concern is omnicron  & what it will & can do to the cruise industry . We are booked on 5 cruises starting Dec 2, 2022 . Perhaps science will have not only pills but even a better vaccine out before then .Hope is eternal

There are many out there, but here is one detailed source showing at your age , you are estimated to have 7.4 more years of sailing and your wife 8.09 more years of sailing  😎

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 8:13 AM, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

HAL was smart to require masking early on when NCL and RCCL didn't. The latter two are now requiring masks and no longer testing at the pier.

NCL has returned to testing at the pier, at least through the end of January.

• Like 1

We are on the May 8 Oosterdam to Holy Land cruise.  My concern is not getting ill from some variant of Covid.  We are double vaccinated and boosted with Moderna.  We are seniors, but have no underlying pre-conditions.  My big concern is a knee-jerk reaction from a health minister in Israel, seeing a rise in Omicron variant, and blocking all cruise ship arrivals.   I've already been to Athens and the Greek Islands.  But if the 2 key ports in Israel, Ashdod and Haifa, are cancelled, the cruise would be a waste to us.   And it's possible that we may not know if these ports are cancelled until we are underway.  

Not trying to make more out of these situations than they are, but a Carnival cruise was denied entry to Bonaire today. See this.

Cartagena, Columbia denied entry to Regent’s Seven Seas Mariner today. See this; and this CC Thread confirms it (Post 16).

Edited by syesmar