Final Payment Date approaching. Concerned about Omicron

RickT

I have a Pacific Coastal cruise booked for April and my final payment date is fast approaching.  I’ve checked with HAL and double checked on their website and there doesn’t appear to be any change yet.

At this point I’m reluctant to pull the trigger and pay in full.  I’m not sure adding a month to my final payment date will change things but it would certainly give me time to see how the Omicron variant is progressing and whether or not I feel it would be safe (or if the cruise will even happen).  I’ll wait until the final day but if HAL doesn’t move the final payment date I believe I’ll cancel and look to rebook when things are clearer.

I say trust your gut and be happy. Personally, I am not planning to cancel my cruise on Rotterdam on April 3, but I've already been on two cruises (July and November--no issues with coronavirus) and I'm triple-vaccinated and don't mind wearing a mask if I have to. I've read that because Omicron is so transmissible, it will rapidly lead to many infections but also dissipate quickly (peaking in late January). I have also read that scientists don't have enough evidence yet to tell whether Omicron causes less-serious illness than other variants, but we should know soon given the speed of Omicron. I do know one guy who is in his 70s and is vaccinated and has Covid right now and his symptoms have been very mild. Of course, that's anecdotal. 

Edited by MarkWiltonM
  • Like 7

From my perspective, I’m not worried about dying from this virus. I don’t want to spend a lot of money for a substandard experience - testing at every turn, masking, quarantining, perhaps closed ports or limited excursions. 

We’ve been dealing with this pandemic for nearly two years. Why would I think travel in general or cruising will be vastly different in a few months?  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Babr said:

From my perspective, I’m not worried about dying from this virus. I don’t want to spend a lot of money for a substandard experience - testing at every turn, masking, quarantining, perhaps closed ports or limited excursions. 

We’ve been dealing with this pandemic for nearly two years. Why would I think travel in general or cruising will be vastly different in a few months?  

I think you spot on with the concern for a very different cruise experience then pre-CV.

• Like 4

I too have a final payment due for a cruise in February. I don't think there will be much change in the virus situation for the next year or maybe two. So, one can either stay locked up or take all the precautions that one can and enjoy life as it has become. I will most likely make the final payment.

HAL was smart to require masking early on when NCL and RCCL didn't. The latter two are now requiring masks and no longer testing at the pier. I dislike wearing masks and have great respect for those who have to wear them for their job. We as cruise passengers can always escape to our cabins or the open decks. 

• Like 2

We too have final payment due soon for our April cruise. Having just cruised in November, I will happily be making my final payment.

Our November cruise experience was different than pre-Covid crusing, but besides having to wear a mask in public areas, the differences were all positive to me. I hate wearing a mask, but my love for cruising definitely trumps that!

• Like 3

I waited 2 years to cruise again, and HAL cancelled my cruise.  Now, if we're lucky we might be able to cruise after 3 years.  We made final payment and were preparing to cruise.  I only wish I had the opportunity to cruise in 2022.  Oh well ☹️.

2 hours ago, RickT said:

I’ll wait until the final day but if HAL doesn’t move the final payment date I believe I’ll cancel and look to rebook when things are clearer.

Do what is best for you.

Take a look at the new thread "Carnival Earnings Call Today".   CEO of Carnival Corp gives an overview on the current state of cruising and health protocols. It may give you a better perspective.   

There are no simple answers for folks who have a relatively low risk tolerance.  The OP specifically mentions Omicrom but it is very possible that Omicron will be history by April and there will be one or more new variants!  Many experts would advise that there will always be new variants appearing every few months and this could continue forever.  Some folks like to cite the 1918 Spanish flu and say it disappeared, but there is at least one decent study that speculates (it cannot be definitively proved) that the current H1N1 Flu variant is likely a descendant of that 1918 flu bug.  

Those that think that COVID will simply disappear in the next few months or years are ignoring history and the comments of many virologists.

Hank

• Like 3

We're both vaccinated and have taken the booster. Have no problem with masks onboard, distancing and practicing good hand washing hygiene and doing the pre-cruise COVID test. We're a go on our February Panama Canal transit! Yes, we could hold off but, this virus isn't going to disappear any time soon, if ever. So, at ages 89yrs and 75yrs, we're going to enjoy life and travel to the fullest NOW.

• Like 8

We have final payment in February for the Oosterdam Holy Land cruise in May 2022.   My concern is if Omicron gets worse, will a country like Israel block all cruise ship dockings.   That is the key destination for this cruise.  I have been to Athens and other Greek islands before, my main interest is Israel.  If Israel blocks ship dockings, will HAL allow cancellations after final payment date and refund cruise fare ?

• Like 2

Ironically, the news about omicron almost couldn't be better.  A highly-transmissible yet much weaker variant, meaning it doesn't even make the unvaccinated all that sick plus early data shows that the vaccinated who catch a breakthrough case build "super-immunity" against all known variants.  Instead of reinstituting mask mandates and lockdowns, we should be encouraging everyone to do everything they can to catch omicron!

I share the OP's hesitation about pay-in-full nervousness, not because I'm afraid of COVID-19 in the least, but because I fear the irrational restrictions on life (shipboard and in port) may lead to a much less enjoyable vacation experience than I want to pay for.  And sadly, as the past nearly-two-years have shown us, there is no rhyme or reason to how governments respond to this virus.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Babr said:

I agree with you you, that's not how I want to spent my vacation. We've already cancelled two cruises this past summer, here's hoping the summer of 2022 has a better out look.

There are always going to be concerns.  We just disembarked from a cruise this week and were quite dismayed at the number of people who walked  into the Lido without disinfecting their hands.  The clincher for me is when people point at the food over the plexiglass, over the food, when really common sense should tell them that is a no.  Seriously, these servers really do understand English and you don't need to point over the plexiglass at the offerings.

4 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

I too have a final payment due for a cruise in February. I don't think there will be much change in the virus situation for the next year or maybe two. So, one can either stay locked up or take all the precautions that one can and enjoy life as it has become. I will most likely make the final payment.

HAL was smart to require masking early on when NCL and RCCL didn't. The latter two are now requiring masks and no longer testing at the pier. I dislike wearing masks and have great respect for those who have to wear them for their job. We as cruise passengers can always escape to our cabins or the open decks. 

NCL is continuing testing at the pier.  Testing at the pier was set to expire on 1/17.  That has been updated and testing at the pier will continue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikebsxm said:

We have final payment in February for the Oosterdam Holy Land cruise in May 2022.   My concern is if Omicron gets worse, will a country like Israel block all cruise ship dockings.   That is the key destination for this cruise.  I have been to Athens and other Greek islands before, my main interest is Israel.  If Israel blocks ship dockings, will HAL allow cancellations after final payment date and refund cruise fare ?

We’re booked on this too and think it unlikely we will be able to go.  They cancelled 2020, 2021. Maybe fourth time lucky?  

• Like 1

It is about your risk tolerance.  Reading the minutes that were posted concerning the earnings report CCL indicates they are forging ahead.  I have 3 cruises next year and unless the line cancels I am going but I am rather indifferent to the entire topic (I am vaccinated and ready to bust out of prison)

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 3

I will offer a positive comment :).  DW and I have cruised for 48 days (on three different ships) since August.  We have followed the protocols and are fully vaccinated (including boosters).  It occurred to me yesterday (as we were disembarking the Enchanted Princess after a 20 day voyage) that DW and I have seldom cruised that many days without at least one of us getting a cold, URI, or some kind of mild GI issue.  We also noticed, when sitting around the ships, that we seldom heard a cough or sneeze.  All the various protocols are actually helpful in heading off norovirus, flu, URIs, etc.  We suspect that some of the changes in the Lido buffets are having a lot of good.  No more sharing of serving implements, folks touching food and then putting it back (have seen this many times), etc.  The amount of sanitizing on ships (now) is simply amazing and appreciated by yours truly.  It is hard to imagine a cleaner environment then what we have seen on our 3 recent voyages :).

Hank

• Like 18

The problem I see right now with how rapidly Omicron is spreading is that you can test negative in the morning and be positive in the evening.  So with the tests 72 hours out, some cases will be missed.  And my understanding is that domestic US travel does not need vaccination or negative tests.  I am hoping I am wrong, but seems like a perfect storm is on the horizon. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1