COVID unites Canadians on Cruise Critic

I seldom ever checked the Canadian Cruisers thread because so few posted on a regular basis.  I'd solely focus on the thread for the line we'd booked.

Since COVID, border changing challenges and and now the more contagious version of COVID, Omicron, posts have dramatically increased.  This is often the only thread I check on a regular basis.

Hopefully once this nightmare fades,  we'll remain regular posters bringing an often unique Canadian point of view to cruising.

Ruth

• Like 30

These are challenging times with rules changing seemingly weekly, if not daily. I appreciate those who take the time to read and understand the changing rules, then explain them to the rest of us.  I do find the rules to be confusing at times, so to be able to read the interpretation in clear, understandable language is reassuring to me.  
I’m happy to be fully vaccinated and have an appointment for my booster on the 29th. Am disappointed that I’m still prone to developing Covid despite my efforts to avoid it.  I don’t know if I’ll ever feel safe among humans again.  How many more variants can there be?? 
I’m sure as long as there are questions to be asked and answers to be provided, people will be here.  I just hope the subject matter changes to something more pleasurable.  😊

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

This Canadian based board is my solace.  I miss cruising terribly but am thankful for the many cruises we have taken.  

This board and all the wonderful people posting have clarified so many things for me…new border rules, new cruising rules, links to mask info (just purchased some recommended here) and more.  Thank you.

For many reasons we are not ready to cruise yet but I check here every day to keep my hopes up and to be prepared when we can.  The Canadian perspective is also very important and appreciated.  

Merry Christmas to you all and be well.

• Like 18

I assumed this section for Canadian cruisers was just initiated in the pandemic to help us communicate.  If it preceded the pandemic, I never saw it.

We feel blessed to have been able to get 3 cruises in during the month of November, but feel bad for those scheduled in the New Year.  Plenty of uncertainty and new hoops every day - but if you do go, I hope you truly enjoy your time on vacation.

Don

• Like 3

I didn't know that this forum existed until last week when someone mentioned it on the HAL board. I think it is nice to get a Canadian perspective, especially with all the uncertainty that we have right now. Having first hand cruise experiences is nice, but having first hand Canadian cruise experiences is even better!

• Like 10

10 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

We concur with the previous posters on the value of this board and check daily.  We only found this site during Covid and appreciate reading the informative exchanges from a 🇨🇦 viewpoint. 

It's really hard to find that. I was signed up to do a race in the US in July.  I belonged to Facebook groups and a sport specific forum but almost all of the information was US based (it was a US race but then again, many of us are sailing out of the US so sort of the same idea).  I was planning to drive and the US land border was closed at the time
I ended up not being able to go to the race and switched to another one in September but still had to struggle to find information. I should have just come here. 

• Like 3

It's wonderful to travel but we've united in learning all the complications of a safe departure and return home.

We should all burst forth with a rousing rendition of:

O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all of us command,

Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,
Il sait porter la croix!

• Like 5

I used to only skim through the Canadian Boards, but since our last cruise ended March 1/2020 I have gained so much knowledge from the Canadian members.  We have 2 cruises in April, and this is where i check first for any advise I am looking for

Thank you to all our amazing Canadian boards members, keep your post coming!   Merry Christmas to everyone !  

• Like 8

Until COVID I never saw the need to use this board honestly - I used my cruise line, roll call and occasionally a port board but there wasn't a "need" to know what other Canadians were up to specifically.  Now that we're all in the same boat (no pun intended) with border crossing and test requirements its been my go-to board.  I particularly appreciate the tone and supportiveness of it.  I read other boards now and some are down right nasty.  I feel for people who ask a question and get chastised for it. 

I realize that the more and more we cruised, the less I used CC (so much so I forgot my username and password and with an old email on file had to start from scratch) as I didn't have many questions.  In hindsight that knowledge of 20+ sailings could be helpful to others and I will endeavor to participate even when I am not actively searching so I can give back to this amazing community!

• Like 6

To  all the supportive commentators on this particular thread, I agree with your thoughtful comments. To all the posters on the Canadian viewpoint board, it is so important to get the Canadian perspective. And the polite and respective delivery is a real bonus.

• Like 8

I as well did not know of this board.  But since Covid it has been a wealth of information and not all Covid related.

There are regular posters to this forum that spend a great deal of time researching all kinds of things and take the time to post it here which is very much appreciated.

This forum will be added to the other forums I check regularly.

Hopefully in the not to distant future we will be reading posts about Canadians calling out chair hogs and those that wear hats in the dining room😁

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Same !!!!   

I only found this board recently as well.  We were trying to get away and the mixed vaccine not being accepted was the big blocker.  It was so "nice" to read we were not alone. 

Thanks everyone for sharing their knowledge and experiences.   
With the constantly changing situations, this board has made navigating it all a whole lot easier.  

Merry Christmas to all!!   May we all be able to vacation again soon!  

• Like 7