Covid Pre-Testing in January of 2022

Clownfish Cruiser

I have searched the forums and I'm trying to figure out what to do, in light of the newest Covid Omicron variant. We are leaving out of Fort Lauderdale in about 3 weeks and I'm worried about the pre-cruise testing, especially after hearing concerns about the potential shortage of testing available. I saw a link to the Optum self-test kit on the Princess site. I don't know if I should order one kit or two kits (for two people), or if I should just wait it out and try to book at our local Walgreens before we leave. We will be arriving in Fort Lauderdale the day before our cruise. I'm just so confused about what to do now...any suggestions??

Thank you for the responses! I have explored options in Fort Lauderdale and found out there is a clinic  within walking distance to the Embassy Suites. I'm just paranoid with the new variant that we won't be able to get a test locally or in Fort Lauderdale. I'm going to order 2 of the home kits today...kind of like "insurance," so we won't be scrambling around trying to find a test at the last minute! 

• Like 4

Tests have been ordered! I did order 2 kits, in case we mess up. If you've ordered the Optum kits, what is the expiration date? The website says the kits "might" expire in February of 2022. Our cruise is in about 3 weeks, so we'll be fine with that, but we also have Alaska booked in June. I guess the tests might expire well before then, but it would be nice if they didn't, to be able to use the 2nd test for that cruise! 

• Like 2

We have a cruise 1/6.  Just scheduled our tests with CVS.  Our backup plan if CVS were to cancel is to have it done at the testing site at the airport.  CVS test is covered under our health insurance, but the one at the airport does not take insurance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clownfish Cruiser said:

Thank you for the responses! I have explored options in Fort Lauderdale and found out there is a clinic  within walking distance to the Embassy Suites. I'm just paranoid with the new variant that we won't be able to get a test locally or in Fort Lauderdale. I'm going to order 2 of the home kits today...kind of like "insurance," so we won't be scrambling around trying to find a test at the last minute! 

Could you tell me which clinic that is?  We have the home kits but I'm paranoid about them since I've read the liquid in some came dried up, etc.  Would just like a backup 🙂

• Like 1

So here's a "real case" scenario for late January/February cruisers. We are booked on CP for January 2nd. We are a family of four, and months ago I ordered the Binax Now with AG Card self-test kits for us. I ordered 2 per person and figured that we would just have them on hand as back up. I was sure that it would be super easy to find a rapid antigen tests at CVS or Walgreens and that we wouldn't need the Binax at all. 

Fast forward to today. Anyone on that January 2nd cruise has to test on either December 31st or January 1st. I live in the Chicagoland area, and you can't find any open testing at CVS or Walgreens. Everything is booked solid OR they simply aren't testing on those dates. The combination of soaring cases coupled with the holidays are making it virtually impossible to find any availability.

That back up Binax option has now become our primary, and only, option.

Buy the Binax and stick them on your shelf. I know it's expensive and that you may end up spending money on those tests and never use them. But they may also be your only option. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Stevie17 said:

Fast forward to today. Anyone on that January 2nd cruise has to test on either December 31st or January 1st. I live in the Chicagoland area, and you can't find any open testing at CVS or Walgreens. Everything is booked solid OR they simply aren't testing on those dates. The combination of soaring cases coupled with the holidays are making it virtually impossible to find any availability.

Buy the Binax and stick them on your shelf. I know it's expensive and that you may end up spending money on those tests and never use them. But they may also be your only option. 

Most of my local tests did not open up until 4-5 days before the day I could test. I really didn't think I would have options because it was the weekend. My local hospital has a professional building that does tests but only Monday-Friday. It turned out I could test with Walgreens but I couldn't schedule it that far out.

Good luck. I stressed about this but found 2 places that would test locally after punching the at home test.

I had the best luck at a drive through option that all they do are COVID and flu tests. The company was Nomi Health and my friend in another state used them also. Test was done in 2 minutes including scanning bar code, verifying my information and asking me health questions (any current symptoms, etc...). She quickly swabbed and I had test results in less than 20 minutes. Walgreens results took 5 hours (and I know their test is a 20 minute test). Someone on the ship with me, their CVS test took probably 48 hours. They tested Saturday and the results came back the day she boarded after she flew to the port.

Princess really needs to invest in testing at the port and paying for it.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, palolake said:

Could you tell me which clinic that is?  We have the home kits but I'm paranoid about them since I've read the liquid in some came dried up, etc.  Would just like a backup 🙂

I'm paranoid about the home kits, too! We are still hoping to get an appointment at our local Walgreens the Wednesday before we fly to FLL. I believe the clinic is called Lab Doctor, across the street from Embassy Suites. 

28 minutes ago, Stevie17 said:

So here's a "real case" scenario for late January/February cruisers. We are booked on CP for January 2nd. We are a family of four, and months ago I ordered the Binax Now with AG Card self-test kits for us. I ordered 2 per person and figured that we would just have them on hand as back up. I was sure that it would be super easy to find a rapid antigen tests at CVS or Walgreens and that we wouldn't need the Binax at all. 

Thank you! That was my fear. Who knows what the cases will be in a few weeks, when we leave. I should have the Binax Now in 2 days and that may end up being our primary option. I sure don't want to be scrambling in mid January trying to find a test locally or in Fort Lauderdale! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Coral said:

Most of my local tests did not open up until 4-5 days before the day I could test. I really didn't think I would have options because it was the weekend. My local hospital has a professional building that does tests but only Monday-Friday. It turned out I could test with Walgreens but I couldn't schedule it that far out.

Good luck. I stressed about this but found 2 places that would test locally after punching the at home test.

I had the best luck at a drive through option that all they do are COVID and flu tests. The company was Nomi Health and my friend in another state used them also. Test was done in 2 minutes including scanning bar code, verifying my information and asking me health questions (any current symptoms, etc...). She quickly swabbed and I had test results in less than 20 minutes. Walgreens results took 5 hours (and I know their test is a 20 minute test). Someone on the ship with me, their CVS test took probably 48 hours. They tested Saturday and the results came back the day she boarded after she flew to the port.

Princess really needs to invest in testing at the port and paying for it.

Yep, and that may happen in our case as well (the opening up a few days prior part). The glitch may be the actual DAYS on which we would need to test...New Years Eve and New Years Day. I will certainly check as we get a bit closer, but I feel good knowing that we have the Binax tests in our back pockets, so to speak.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevie17 said:

We are on your cruise.

CVS isn't testing on Dec. 31 or Jan 1 - has nothing to do with them being full.

We found a private clinic that will test us (in Michigan) on the 31st.

I got the Optum tests as a back up.

But you should check clinics near you for available openings. I did a quick Google search and came up with this.

https://centerforcovidcontrol.org/locations/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

There is a shortage of tests because everyone traveling is buying or booking double.  😛😁🤣🤡

Yep. As our experience above demonstrates, our intention was to take one test, but delays in getting results back then lead to our having to take duplicate tests. Which compounds the issue that led to our test result delays in the first place. Definition of insanity possibly?

Edited by Tamara2cruise

24 minutes ago, chamima said:

We are on your cruise.

CVS isn't testing on Dec. 31 or Jan 1 - has nothing to do with them being full.

We found a private clinic that will test us (in Michigan) on the 31st.

I got the Optum tests as a back up.

But you should check clinics near you for available openings. I did a quick Google search and came up with this.

https://centerforcovidcontrol.org/locations/

Thanks. We do have a private pharmacy that we can book at as well and it's open on the 31st, but it's not free. We would have to send in paperwork for reimbursement. We used one of the Binax Now kits this week (as a trial and because one of my daughters had the sniffles), and it worked perfectly. We are going to wake up very early on the 31st and test. If something goes off the rails, we can always book at the private pharmacy. Fingers crossed that this all goes easily for all of us.

Edited by Stevie17
  • Like 1

Our place takes insurance so it's free for us.

My kids live in Chicago and say Mariano's is the same as Kroger - try calling your local store to see if they'll schedule you. (That's what I'm going to tell my daughter to do)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clownfish Cruiser said:

Tests have been ordered! I did order 2 kits, in case we mess up. If you've ordered the Optum kits, what is the expiration date? The website says the kits "might" expire in February of 2022. Our cruise is in about 3 weeks, so we'll be fine with that, but we also have Alaska booked in June. I guess the tests might expire well before then, but it would be nice if they didn't, to be able to use the 2nd test for that cruise! 

Even though there is still a caveat on the Optum website saying that you may receive kits that expire in early February, we

JUST RECEIVED A NEWLY MANUFACTURED 3 PACK TEST KIT!

Ordered through the Optum store link on the Princess Health Protocols page on December 15th.

Delivered on December 17th.

Manufacture Date:  2021-12-03.

Expiration Date: 2022-10-13.

I hope this is a sign that the 'expired' tests inventory is now empty.

We had ordered them in case we can't get a free test at Walgreens or CVS on New Years Eve or New Years Day for our January 2 Caribbean Princess cruise realizing if I was successful I was blowing $99 (3 pack price) on the BinaxNow that would expire a month later.  Now we have a backup for 2 more future cruises booked for March and July 2022.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Stevie17 said:

Anyone on that January 2nd cruise has to test on either December 31st or January 1st. I live in the Chicagoland area, and you can't find any open testing at CVS or Walgreens.

Walgreens opens appointments 7 days in advance so we, on a January 2 cruise too, will be logging in first thing Friday morning to get an appointment for the 31st.  I'm hoping that since Walgreens is doing testing on Christmas Eve and Christmas day, they will do the same for New Year's Eve and day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Even though there is still a caveat on the Optum website saying that you may receive kits that expire in early February, we

JUST RECEIVED A NEWLY MANUFACTURED 3 PACK TEST KIT!

Ordered through the Optum store link on the Princess Health Protocols page on December 15th.

Delivered on December 17th.

Manufacture Date:  2021-12-03.

Expiration Date: 2022-10-13.

I hope this is a sign that the 'expired' tests inventory is now empty.

We had ordered them in case we can't get a free test at Walgreens or CVS on New Years Eve or New Years Day for our January 2 Caribbean Princess cruise realizing if I was successful I was blowing $99 (3 pack price) on the BinaxNow that would expire a month later.  Now we have a backup for 2 more future cruises booked for March and July 2022.

Excellent news!! That would make me feel a little better about spending the $$$, if we don't mess up  the first test and can use the 2nd test for Alaska. Thank you for letting me know! 

1 minute ago, Clownfish Cruiser said:

Excellent news!! That would make me feel a little better about spending the $$$, if we don't mess up  the first test and can use the 2nd test for Alaska. Thank you for letting me know! 

Glad I could help.  This is definitely a very stressful situation that I didn't even think about when we booked our first post-Covid cruise a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 1