Issues in PV?

trixiee

Here's a link so you don't have to search for it like me.

Long story short, they had multiple cases of covid on board and the Mexican authorities wouldn't let anyone disembark that wasn't tested and on a ship's shore excursion.  HAL couldn't do that last minute, so they were refused entry and left port.

Folks need to understand that while Mexico has about the most lenient entry policy in the world (in terms of COVID) they do have concerns.   Consider a ship where 1 or more folks (passengers or crew) test positive and are appropriately put into an isolation cabin.  While that person is no longer a  danger/risk to anyone they may have infected others prior to the time they were put into isolation.  Mexico (like most other countries) simply wanted assurances that anyone coming ashore had a recent negative test or would be kept in a carefully controlled "bubble" excursion.  HAL was not in a position (with such short notice) to comply.   Unfortunately, this can happen on any cruise and is one of the risks of cruising during COVID.  When Seabourn had a similar situation where several folks tested positive while on a Greek cruise, the line isolated those folks (they were eventually quarantined on land) but were also able to quickly test every other person on that ship.  Accordingly, they were able to continue the cruise.   But that becomes a much more difficult logistical problem on a large ship with over 1000 passengers.  The Mexican government had reason to be concerned because ultimately 21 crew members tested positive.  The ship is due to arrive in San Diego tomorrow and I would assume the CDC will want everyone tested before disembarkation (but time will tell).

Hank

Just to update this topic, since we arrived in PV (last Saturday) we have seen some ships (Majestic Princess, Carnival Panarama, etc) come and go without incident.  But today the Navigator of the Seas (RCI) docked early this morning but departed around noon after their passengers were denied shore time.  That ship has COVID issues and the authorities refused to give them clearance.  As we predicted in another post, the Mexican authorities are still enforcing various COVID guidelines and obviously this latest vessel did not meet their requirements.

Hank

Hank, thank you for the update.  Although I am sorry for the passengers of the Navigator who missed the visit to PV, I am happy for the locals (and tourists) who were not exposed to the potentially contagious visitors.  PV doesn't have the medical resources to deal with a large number of serious cases. 

But at least the omicron variant is supposedly NOT causing many serious illnesses, mostly mild cases.   My own personal position, that I have not seen taken up by any experts or trend-setters, is that omicron is mostly a positive thing, that lots and lots of people will get infected, have a mild cold-like set of symptoms, and thereby acquire natural immunity.  Of course, those seriously ill and/or dead from omicron will not appreciate the benefits conferred in general.  

Plese keep on updating this thread!  I hope to be visiting Cabo/ Mazatlan and PV in two months on the Majestic. 

On 1/8/2022 at 3:19 PM, Podie said:

I'm supposed to be visiting those 3 ports on Navigator in March, but they weren't allowed to stop last week when something like 4.8% of the crew tested positive for covid that day.

Those crew members will no doubt infect other crew members, but by March (your cruise date), it should have burned itself out, and all of the crew should have natural immunity.   At least, that is the theory.

I am sending positive thoughts and vibes your way for a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1

Just a mild warning that the Governor of Jalisco (i.e. Puerto Vallarta) has issued an order, effective Jan 14, that requires either a vaccine certificate (such as the CDC form) or a recent negative test in order to enter bars and clubs (not restaurants).   This requirement is not a big deal but simply folks need to be aware.  Before anyone asks, we do not know whether bars/clubs will accept a photo of a certificate (such as on a Smartphone) or whether they will insist on the actual document.  

What this means is still a question for those of us who live here.  Mexico remains one of the few places on earth where anyone can enter the country without any negative test or vaccination certificate.  We think this is the policy because Mexico's President Obrador is not a big believer in anything COVID!  But the Governor of Jalisco (a Mexican State) has consistently shown that he favors a more cautious approach.  So as things stand now, folks can still fly into Puerto Vallarta without proof of vaccination or a negative test but needs one of those in order to enter a bar/club.  Go figure.

Hank

On 1/12/2022 at 9:36 AM, Hlitner said:

requires either a vaccine certificate (such as the CDC form) or a recent negative test in enter bars and clubs (not restaurants)

I would guess this has a very limited impact for the typical cruise passenger.  I would also wonder how strongly this will be enforced off the Malecon/tourist areas in the local bars and clubs.    Like in the US, politicians sometimes do things for show in Mexico too.  

I could see some cops using this order as a means to collect a few more "mordidas."

1 hour ago, SelectSys said:

I would guess this has a very limited impact for the typical cruise passenger.  I would also wonder how strongly this will be enforced off the Malecon/tourist areas in the local bars and clubs.    Like in the US, politicians sometimes do things for show in Mexico too.  

I could see some cops using this order as a means to collect a few more "mordidas."

LOL!  Actually, last winter when we had many restrictions there was very uneven enforcement.  The truth is that COVID is not a big topic here this winter so we will see what happens. 

Hank