New Email From Carnival - Change of Ports, Masks, Full Refunds

K_e_short

I'm cruising on the 26th as well...and I didn't get this notice.  In fact, the only notice I've gotten from Carnival at all is one today reminding me to complete my health assessment (which I've already done).  

I understand the situation...but I'm upset with the spotty communication.  

I'm sure this is because a Royal Caribbean ship was denied entry to Aruba and Curacao today due to positive cases on board.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hurricane0226 said:

Hate to say, but getting close to canceling cruising again, but truly hope not. we do not need

that again. 

Its going to take the CDC to step in for it to shut down imo. John Heald has said several times that the reason they are putting all of these protocols in place is because they can not afford to shut down again. If they shut down again they are more than likely done. They could shut down again but i still think its going to take alot more for that to happen. They have come to far

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

The Carnival Freedom is dealing with the same issues.

The cruise contract says that ports aren't guaranteed so thats a good reminder for all the whiners on here and the Book of Faces demanding full refunds because their cruise was ruined.

Im surprised (shouldn't be) with all the whining ive seen about only getting $50 and refunded fees for canceled ports. When i got back on a ship in Sept i was so happy just to be there that it honestly could have gone anywhere and Id be happy. Ive had ports cancel because of rain etc....it happens. Its not like Carnival wants to cancel. People need to stop being so greedy and realize whats going on in the world around them

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

The Carnival Freedom is dealing with the same issues.

The cruise contract says that ports aren't guaranteed so thats a good reminder for all the whiners on here and the Book of Faces demanding full refunds because their cruise was ruined.

I feel fortunate to have gotten 2 cruises in this year, but we are going to cancel our Freedom cruise scheduled for 1/9/22. We'll take the full refund and look to (hopefully) book when things are calmer. I haven't booked air to Miami yet and I'm now afraid that flts may be cancelled, which is happening due to Omicron. There's only so much stress I want to endure for a vacation, lol! I hope those who choose to cruise have an excellent time! 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, matymil said:

People need to stop being so greedy and realize whats going on in the world around them

I totally agree.

Now I am all one for planning and having high expectations when I travel.

When I book something I want everything to go as planned.

But.. the complaints are all Covid related. You knew about Covid when you got on the ship.

I use the example of my Alaskan cruise where our helicopter to a glacier to go dog sledding was almost cancelled because of weather.

Yeah well considering there were two helicopter crashes earier that season. I sort of want a safe flight. 

But.. I did my research when booking that excursion and knew that there is a chance of cancellation.

Who did not know that your entire cruise can go sideways cause of Covid?

• Like 7

I am not going to complain- but if I can get a full refund for this very expensive Holiday cruise- I may just cancel. I have already cruised with the COVID regulations, back in August. But something about all of this feels anxiety inducing. I am supposed to leave on Sunday, the 26th. I have already gotten one child PCR test back- negative. 

I have over 6K tied up in this Holiday vacation. As an educator (and for most) that is a lot of $$ for 5 people. 

I'll be making my decision tomorrow after talking over with the rest of the family before we do our Emed tests... 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Girlincube said:

I am not going to complain- but if I can get a full refund for this very expensive Holiday cruise- I may just cancel. I have already cruised with the COVID regulations, back in August. But something about all of this feels anxiety inducing. I am supposed to leave on Sunday, the 26th. I have already gotten one child PCR test back- negative. 

I have over 6K tied up in this Holiday vacation. As an educator (and for most) that is a lot of $$ for 5 people. 

I'll be making my decision tomorrow after talking over with the rest of the family before we do our Emed tests... 

I think knowing that you can get a refund, or at least a future travel credit, is calming.

I made sure everything I booked was refundable. I only forgot that my shuttle wasn't.

I think businesses have learnt, cruise lines included, that with the uncertainties of Covid, you need to have better refund policies.

The same goes for airlines, shuttle services, excursions. etc.

• Like 1

My worry is in 7 days, a lot can change. By the time we come back, there may be all new regulations in place. Forced quarantine, unpaid from work being one of them. 

Everything just seems to be changing so fast, it feels like a very vulnerable situation to be on a boat. UGH!! this is so hard. Kids are so excited. This is our last vacation with our Plebe from USMMA before he starts his sea years and vacations will be much harder to come by... 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Girlincube said:

My worry is in 7 days, a lot can change. By the time we come back, there may be all new regulations in place. Forced quarantine, unpaid from work being one of them. 

Everything just seems to be changing so fast, it feels like a very vulnerable situation to be on a boat. UGH!! this is so hard. Kids are so excited. This is our last vacation with our Plebe from USMMA before he starts his sea years and vacations will be much harder to come by... 

I agree, we are supposed to leave on the 8th on the Panarama. I have NO idea what they will be saying about things a week from now, let alone 10 days. Have talked to our friends...and they are also wondering. It is helpful to know we can get refunds. And my flight was with points as was the hotel. And just why I didn' buy any Chase gift cards! Time will tell. Ugh. 

• Like 2

Truly sorry for those that are choosing to cancel. I know it's a tough choice. 

Our family has had its plans drastically altered because of omicron. All of us are testing and some were positive so they not attending the festivities. Its really going crazy right now in NY.

For now I am keeping my plan to cruise in 2 weeks. I booked at a great rate because of covid so I am walking that edge. I am not concerned for my health with the omicron variant. Everything I have read tells me its a much milder but more contagious strain. All evidence points to a rapid increase then rapid decrease in cases.

I appreciate that Carnival is giving its customers a refund if they choose to postpone their cruising plans. That is pretty cool of them to be flexible in these difficult times. My flights and hotel are also refundable if needed so I will continue to monitor.

Stay safe and healthy

Merry Christmas

• Like 5

8 hours ago, K_e_short said:

She sure missed getting your Port fees/taxes refunded, only mentioned excursions  being refunded.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Girlincube said:

Off topic, but my son is a WP 2017 grad, so I can relate.  Hang on, your journey is just beginning.  It's a wild ride!  Good luck to him and your family and Merry Christmas!

Edited by bafinegan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As mentioned in previous post, covid is here and unpredictable.  The new variant is spreading faster all over the world, we have no control especially with so many still not vax. The virus is looking for hosts and looking fast. 

You have to decide what is best and safest for your own family based on the facts you have in front of you (vax? risk of major outbreak on ship? can you easily distance yourself? etc.).  You know this when you choose to get on the ship, everyone is in the same boat so to speak and everyone has a story.  Good luck!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Drazil65 said:

As mentioned in previous post, covid is here and unpredictable.  The new variant is spreading faster all over the world, we have no control especially with so many still not vax. The virus is looking for hosts and looking fast. 

You have to decide what is best and safest for your own family based on the facts you have in front of you (vax? risk of major outbreak on ship? can you easily distance yourself? etc.).  You know this when you choose to get on the ship, everyone is in the same boat so to speak and everyone has a story.  Good luck!

one of my biggest concerns is how much things can change in a week. Mandatory quarantines when we get back, missing work…. Things completely out of my control. The actual virus and staying healthy is not what worried me most. 

tough decision to be made today. I appreciate all the feedback. 

• Like 2

Not exactly the Christmas present we were looking for this am.  This email makes me wonder if they know more than they are sharing, such as ports they know will close, etc....Quick question I'm sure someone has answered but is there a requirement to test when you arrive back in the US if you are traveling by car?

• Like 1

I’m glad they are giving people option. They should’ve done that as soon as the protocols were announced. If they are concerned I think they need to scale back their capacity. The recent pictures I’ve seen of Mardi Gras are shocking. Way too many people under the circumstances.

• Like 8

We got up this morning, had the discussion. We decided to take our home test, we both passed. Then we said, "let's flip a coin, heads we go, tails we cancel, it was heads. Then we said two out of three. That being said, we canceled the dog sitter and have been on hold with CCL to cancel our cruise. We were lucky enough to go to Alaska in August and the Caribbean in October, so why take chances of not be able to make ports of call, and/or being stuck in our cabin for a week.

The good thing is I'll be able to play golf next week.

Y'all stay safe and have a Merry Christmas.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, kconn said:

Not exactly the Christmas present we were looking for this am.  This email makes me wonder if they know more than they are sharing, such as ports they know will close, etc....Quick question I'm sure someone has answered but is there a requirement to test when you arrive back in the US if you are traveling by car?

I'm a bit confused about your queston.

Are you asking if you drive out of the U.S. (into Mexico or Canada) and drive back? The U.S. requires an antigen test within a day of entering.

Are you talking about getting off the cruise ship and driving home?

Right now the U.S. hasn't put any requirements on cruises regarding testing.

Remember you don't even need to show a negative test to fly within the U.S.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

I'm a bit confused about your queston.

Are you asking if you drive out of the U.S. (into Mexico or Canada) and drive back? The U.S. requires an antigen test within a day of entering.

Are you talking about getting off the cruise ship and driving home?

Right now the U.S. hasn't put any requirements on cruises regarding testing.

Remember you don't even need to show a negative test to fly within the U.S.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear - we are driving to the port of Galveston and will be driving back home - thank you for answering my question!! Merry Christmas!

• Like 2

I am pretty sure if you enter us via ship there is no need to test to fly home.

I'm scheduled for Jan 3, unreal deal they was paid with points and 300 obc, that was same as cruise fare for two 

But I'm sure we t going to cancel. I capacity was say 50 percent I think we'd go but if they are at 85 percent I'm thinking better safe than sorry.

There's always another cruise 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thepla said:

I'm scheduled for Jan 3, unreal deal they was paid with points and 300 obc, that was same as cruise fare for two 

But I'm sure we t going to cancel. I capacity was say 50 percent I think we'd go but if they are at 85 percent I'm thinking better safe than sorry.

Most all ships carnival or rcl booked to close to 100% for the holidays and now both are pulling back. Rcl isnt allowing new bookings thru mid January. This variant is probably peaking mid January and then should be dying off somewhat. But it is moving higher toward a peak right now. I cruised a week ago and it was lovely but more kids expected over the holidays unvaccinated for another consideration. The higher percent of kids I'm sure worrying.

Me I'd go since it's just me and both b2b between now and march I'd lose some money and good deals. I'd lose money for either hotels or parking in Galveston. I noticed march parking I reserved in Galveston has a $50 canc fee for instance. And I'm driving so if I got it I could still drive home most likely. Everyone has different considerations why they would go or not. 

I'm hoping carnival has cancellations and puts up rates again with no solo supplements. Irks me to pay double. People made fun of me booking drive to ports this year, I'm getting the last laugh. Hopefully 2023 I can do more exotic like Panama canal. Glad I'm not flying yet. That's a added risk imo.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, thepla said:

in Early December the Breakaway (out of New Orleans) was required to test every passenger the day before  disembarking because they had what the Port Authority deemed an outbreak. anyone positive had to go to hotel to quarantine unless they drove. We were on the Glory at that time - which was also out of New Orleans, and we were paranoid that we would all have to be tested too (per the New Orleans port) but luckily our ship didn’t have an outbreak.  so just know any Port can require a cruise line to test all passenger 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, thepla said:

I can only comment on the cruise I'm booked on - Mardi Gras the 26th.

The double occupancy is 5300? people with the max capacity being 6500.

The cruise director has posted they are running at 5300 people, or 81%.

Now my cruise was "sold out" for weeks, whatever that sold out number was I don't know.

Now there are a lot of cabins for sale (almost 20 last time I counted).

I'd like to think the capacity will be way under 80%. The info above doesn't include people not able to get to the port because of cancelled flights, those that test tomorrow and get a positive, and perhaps those that didn't bring all the required documents.

I am hopeful the ship will be emptier, and thus I will be able to enjoy more of the inside areas.

• Like 2