Jewel of the Seas is reporting new positive cases

Why are people surprised?  Omicron is very contagious and incubation is about 2-3 days.   In the UK, they are saying 1/2 of the "colds" that people currently have are Omicron.  Because the symptoms are cold symptoms with it.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, BND said:

Why are people surprised?  Omicron is very contagious and incubation is about 2-3 days.   In the UK, they are saying 1/2 of the "colds" that people currently have are Omicron.  Because the symptoms are cold symptoms with it.

Not surprising considering that the virus that causes most common colds in the winter is a corona virus. 

I would not be at all surprised if a percentage of Omicron cases are in fact just common colds that have a similar spike protein.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

With all the people traveling this holiday season it will spread and we will get thru it. 

The good news is that is a very mild version (at least for vaxxed people).    The downside is it stinks to happen on a cruise ship and have islands denying entry and people having to quarantine.    

As other says "it is what it is"

• Like 2

The biggest downside is the whole quarantine factor. I wouldn't ind being quarantined in my nice JS with it's huge balcony. Having to quarantine in an Oceanview room would make me absolutely claustrophobic.  Not to mention the difficulties of quarantine after the cruise. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

After Symphony, Odyssey, Carnival Freedom and MSC Seashore, now Jewel of the Seas is reporting around 14 new cases.  

You can add HAL Koningsdam's cases to your list (turned away from Puerto Vallarta yesterday).

https://www.vallartadaily.com/puerto-vallarta-denies-disembarkation-of-cruise-ship-due-to-active-cases-of-covid-19/

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

You can add HAL Koningsdam's cases to your list (turned away from Puerto Vallarta yesterday).

https://www.vallartadaily.com/puerto-vallarta-denies-disembarkation-of-cruise-ship-due-to-active-cases-of-covid-19/

Yes I just saw that previously and posted a thread on it.  Also, the Queen Mary 2 had recent cases when arrived in NYC from Southampton.

1 hour ago, erinsmom03 said:

The biggest downside is the whole quarantine factor. I wouldn't ind being quarantined in my nice JS with it's huge balcony. Having to quarantine in an Oceanview room would make me absolutely claustrophobic.  Not to mention the difficulties of quarantine after the cruise. 

This is one of the many reasons I cancelled our January cruise on Brilliance.  We were in a GS (the very prized 1600), and I couldn't imagine being moved from that to an Oceanview room.😮

7 minutes ago, mafig said:

This is one of the many reasons I cancelled our January cruise on Brilliance.  We were in a GS (the very prized 1600), and I couldn't imagine being moved from that to an Oceanview room.😮

Oh yes I can just imagine how one would suffer 

• Like 2

There are positive cases on most ships currently. There are 18 Royal Caribbean ships listed with positive cases on the CDC website as of now. How the ships handle them and the severity of the cases is more important than the number of cases.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BND said:

Agree, I'd been more surprised if a Ship went every week without any Cases of CV. Besides this Ship has had cases on it for multiple Sailings already

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 2:15 PM, mafig said:

What? I’ve been out of the loop for a bit. You get moved to a view cabin upon quarantine? No fresh air from the balcony?

26 minutes ago, iluvit! said:

What? I’ve been out of the loop for a bit. You get moved to a view cabin upon quarantine? No fresh air from the balcony?

If you are a close contact, you stay in your cabin until you test negative twice.  If you test positive, you are moved to an ocean view cabin closer to the Medical Center.  You either stay in the ocean view cabin until the end of the cruise or they may put you off the ship at the next port and you are either quarantined on shore or flown home.  

On 12/24/2021 at 3:00 PM, JT1962 said:

There are positive cases on most ships currently. There are 18 Royal Caribbean ships listed with positive cases on the CDC website as of now. How the ships handle them and the severity of the cases is more important than the number of cases.

Also, many of these ships had positive cases since August, they went in and out of yellow status regularly.  The difference is that no one was paying attention then (I would occasionally check the CDC cruise status website). I assume the number of cases onboard have gone up due to omicron but there is no way to confirm that since I don't believe ships were announcing case numbers before December.  There are more yellow ships now than before December though.  

Doesn’t surprise me at all, we were on for 3 cruises Dec 4 - 23 and in that time there was no control of allowing only 4 persons to an elevator. People just barged in even though you told them the rule was 4 to an elevator. Numerous guests asked Guest Services to make an announcement about this but nothing happened. Also on the last cruise there were 343 kids on board however there was no control of them wearing masks. The other bad point was when we went to have our tests for consecutive cruisers the lineup included both unvaccinated and vaccinated guests This was also pointed out by a few people in the line but the next week it was the same. They could easily have used the separate entrances to the Coral Theatre where the tests were being done or at least separate the time for testing between these groups.

23 minutes ago, Highlander said:

The other bad point was when we went to have our tests for consecutive cruisers the lineup included both unvaccinated and vaccinated guests This was also pointed out by a few people in the line but the next week it was the same. They could easily have used the separate entrances to the Coral Theatre where the tests were being done or at least separate the time for testing between these groups.

The distinction between vaccinated and unvaccinated is largely becoming irrelevant with Omicron since the vaccinated appear to catch it just as easily as the unvaccinated.  I wouldn't look at that as too big of an issue.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alwaysflyin said:

The distinction between vaccinated and unvaccinated is largely becoming irrelevant with Omicron since the vaccinated appear to catch it just as easily as the unvaccinated.  I wouldn't look at that as too big of an issue.

The unvaccinated are at risk.  The majority of hospitalized patients are unvaccinated and most of the vaccinated ones have underlying health issues that put them at higher risk.   There's lots of good data out there, specifically from SA and now the UK about Omicron and the huge differences that are showing up.  

Edited by BND
  • Thanks 1