Have You Ever Met Someone...

m8zenblue

I apologize in advance if this posting does not conform to this thread.

I was curious, did you ever meet people on a cruise, you know their first name and where they are from and would like to try to contact them ?

I met a couple from Scotland on the Celebrity Constellation, 11/22/21.

Maybe they will see this post !!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

I miss passenger lists, which were always fun and useful.

Its only usefull when people from this list really do communicate and engage on board. In all other cases, this list tells you really nothing. I like it when people get in contact here on particular thread where they gather first online and then on board the ship or prior to boarding 

I have met wonderful people over the years and still are in contact with them.  Now I have some "calling" cards with me to pass out as necessary.  I can think of 3 that we became close to, over  40 years ago, and still have regular chats on SKYPE.

• Like 1

Is there still any activity on the cruise Roll Call? (I've been on cruises where the Roll Call went on for a year after we got back home - very chatty crowd!)

If yes - you might post there. Or post again here with a bit more information in the subject heading that might get your new friend's attention.

Good luck tracking them down.

• Thanks 1

I miss the Captains Club cocktail hours... we would go to the Sky lounge and after a day or two we would find ourselves sitting with the same people and by the end of the cruise we would share contact information. Then for some period of time we would communicate... but then covid messed up planned sailings and we lost touch. Now with the free drinks at any bar and much lower passenger levels.. DH and I sit alone not really meeting anyone and if we do we see them one night and did not sit near them again. I really liked the specified cocktail area and frankly a fuller ship. It was fun meeting people from around the country and the world.

• Like 1

If I were in your shoes, I would start a new thread with a title that would be specific to the people you are searching for. They are highly unlikely to respond to this thread. I suggest you try some thing like

”seeking John and Mary from Scotland who sailed on celebrity Constellation 22 November 2021”

remember not to put the cruise date as 11/22/21 because they write dates differently than we do in America.

Also consider how you will make contact with them. It isn’t a good idea to put your personal email address in a public forum like Cruise Critic. You might consider opening a special Gmail account just for this. And I would never put personal details like phone number or address out in public either.

Cruise Critic does not have a PM feature.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

If I were in your shoes, I would start a new thread with a title that would be specific to the people you are searching for. They are highly unlikely to respond to this thread. I suggest you try some thing like

”seeking John and Mary from Scotland who sailed on celebrity Constellation 22 November 2021”

remember not to put the cruise date as 11/22/21 because they write dates differently than we do in America.

Also consider how you will make contact with them. It isn’t a good idea to put your personal email address in a public forum like Cruise Critic. You might consider opening a special Gmail account just for this. And I would never put personal details like phone number or address out in public either.

Cruise Critic does not have a PM feature.

Maybe try this thread suggestion but I personally would not feel comfortable responding to a fishing thread on social media like CC.  Do you even know if they were CC members?  On your roll call?

Except for immediate next door neighbors, my wife and I have met every single one of our closest friends on a cruise. Actually we met on the roll call. We formed a group (The Martini Mates) and have stayed close with many of them for more than 15 years. We have added to the group as the years have gone by. We live in Washington State and we have friends (who we have visited and cruised with many times over the years) in British Columbia, England, Florida, Ontario, California and other places. Others we don't see as often but we correspond with them regularly. 

If you want to know the people on your cruise, get actively involved in your roll call. That's the real place to make friends. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 3:38 PM, esther e said:

I have met wonderful people over the years and still are in contact with them.  Now I have some "calling" cards with me to pass out as necessary.  I can think of 3 that we became close to, over  40 years ago, and still have regular chats on SKYPE.

I do the cards too. I can pass out the card and also write their info on the back. 

7 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

i believe that is one reason. Some TA's might spam members. Another is that the info and discussion on Cruise Critic is meant to be shared, not private.

I suspect that CC is less concerned about TAs spamming members than they are members sharing their own information.  By shutting off PM, information that CC does not want shared publicly can't be shared privately, either.  It's what happens when you have a dog in the fight as CC does here.  I think some of us spend so much time in the 'boards' area here that we forget why "Find A Cruise" is in type twice the size of "Boards".

Anyway, back to the topic at hand:

We've found it well nigh impossible to locate those with whom we've cruised after the fact unless they were CC members and we knew their handles either from a roll call or the name tag at an official CC meet and greet.  Often, some of the most interesting people are those who have never even tried an online site like this, and we make a point to trade email addresses during the cruise, knowing it's our one shot at ongoing communication. 

To the OP:

It's probably a bit late now to try your luck in the 22 November roll call for Connie.  Many/most roll calls die out pretty quickly within a few days of disembarkation.  But has been suggested, that may be your best hope.  IF you can identify anyone's location as from Scotland in the old roll call messages, though, you might search their profile for more recent messages where they may be posting about future cruises, etc., and ask there if you've got the right  person.  There are a number of ways to make direct contact after that - finding them being the bigger hurdle!