Documentation/Letter of Recovery for Covid

runner2013

Hi all, 

I couldn't find any answer for this on the boards, (if I missed it I apologize) and was hoping someone who has gone through this scenario can steer me in the right direction. 

My fiance tested positive for Covid Nov 18th, he quarantined, followed all CDC guidelines, etc, and has since recovered. ( I tested as precaution and was negative)We are scheduled to sail Jan 27th which is within that '3 month window' where he can still have a positive test. Per the CDC website, and Princess's Q&A section, someone who had Covid can get a letter of recovery from a health care provider stating he is fit to travel, and along with the original dated documentation diagnosing him with Covid he will be considered 'not positive', and allowed to sail. 

We plan on getting tested before flying to the port anyway and hopefully he will show negative and this won't even be an issue but we want to be prepared just in case. 

Has anyone on here run into this situation, if so how did you handle it? Any words of advice greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

• Like 1

Exceptions may apply for asymptomatic guests that have tested positive for COVID-19 in the 90 days prior to embarkation, but not less than 10 days prior to embarkation, and are fully recovered. Guests will need to provide a letter of recovery from their doctor and, laboratory test results that were taken at least 10 or more days prior to embarkation, and not older than 90 days.

This is what it says under the 'what if I test positive section. So i'm thinking If he gets a letter from his doctor and takes another covid test 10 days out and it's still positive he should be ok??

The unvaccinated gentleman cannot just show up on embarkation day with a letter from a doctor attesting to his natural immunity and expect to be allowed to board.  All medical exceptions are precleared by PCL corporate.  This way they can monitor who and how many/what percentage of passengers are unvaccinated (adults v children). 

Honestly, in this Omicron variant phase, the likelihood  of an unvaccinated adult with a doctor's note just showing up to the pier probably has a zero chance of being allowed to board.  What will probably happen is the gentleman will be sent to a secondary screening, and despite having a doctor's note, he will be denied boarding.  

12 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

The unvaccinated gentleman cannot just show up on embarkation day with a letter from a doctor attesting to his natural immunity and expect to be allowed to board.  All medical exceptions are precleared by PCL corporate.  This way they can monitor who and how many/what percentage of passengers are unvaccinated (adults v children). 

Honestly, in this Omicron variant phase, the likelihood  of an unvaccinated adult with a doctor's note just showing up to the pier probably has a zero chance of being allowed to board.  What will probably happen is the gentleman will be sent to a secondary screening, and despite having a doctor's note, he will be denied boarding.  

I may be missing something, but it's not obvious to me that the gentleman in question is unvaccinated. My take on this is that he is vaccinated (since they were planning to cruise) and that the question has to do with the fact that recovered patients will sometimes test positive even though they're recovered. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I may be missing something, but it's not obvious to me that the gentleman in question is unvaccinated. My take on this is that he is vaccinated (since they were planning to cruise) and that the question has to do with the fact that recovered patients will sometimes test positive even though they're recovered. 

I hope you are correct, and that I missed the OP question.  So is the OP's question "will they accept my fiance doctor's 'note of recovery' if he has a positive covid test result?  I would still say that he would be sent for a secondary screening and be administered another covid test at the terminal, and depending on that result be either approved for boarding or denied.  The cruise lines are not going to take any chances during this uptick in cases.

• Like 2

Yes Sea Hag you are completely correct. 

We are vaxed and boosted. He tested positive in Nov and our concern is him popping up positive again on another test 2 days before we sail.  We plan on testing early Jan, just for our own knowledge at home, then crossing our fingers and doing a 'real' test 2 days before. 

• Like 1

Yes Ferry Watcher, 

We are vaxed/boosted-should have put that in my op, sorry about that. I never even thought about them doing a 'retest' at the port if our 2 day out test comes back positive.  I was so focused on being in the green lane (green lane = Holy Grail right) I forgot things can change on a moment's notice and we would have to step aside for more testing. If he comes back positive 2 days out, then on a retest if Princess so chooses and we are denied then I guess we'll have to accept it. We won't like it of course but I agree our safety isn't the only things that matters. There is an entire ship of people who need to kept safe as well. 

Here's hoping all my worry is for nothing🤞

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

@runner2013 wishing you smooth sailing with your upcoming travels.  I hope it all works out and that your cruise is amazing.  It sounds like you have a positive, yet realistic outlook on the whole situation - so refreshing to read.  All the best, my friend!

Thanks Ferry Watcher, 

I'll come back and let everyone know what happens. Hopefully with good news. 

• Like 1

This happened to our friends who were traveling with us in September.  He did test positive, you can test positive up to 90 days after infection.  Princess excepted the original positive test results (over 60 days since his infection) and a note of recovery from his physician.  He was allowed to board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, CarilynP said:

This happened to our friends who were traveling with us in September.  He did test positive, you can test positive up to 90 days after infection.  Princess excepted the original positive test results (over 60 days since his infection) and a note of recovery from his physician.  He was allowed to board.

Did your friend have any problem getting the letter from his phyician? Is it something like a standard set of questions to answer or did he need to see the physician in person for an exam?

Thanks

On 12/28/2021 at 12:49 PM, runner2013 said:

Did your friend have any problem getting the letter from his phyician? Is it something like a standard set of questions to answer or did he need to see the physician in person for an exam?

Thanks

I’m also curious about this.  I am boosted and currently have a mild case of covid. I left message at doctors office because I tested at urgent care.  Asked about a follow up and letter of recovery for travel beginning of February.  Was told they are not giving letters just following cdc recommendations.  What the heck does that mean? Ugh! Frustrating!

Edited by Aruba<3
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 

My fiance had his annual physical with his doctor yesterday and he gave him the letter of recovery no problem.  Basically it states he had covid, the date he tested positive,  and he is now recovered and not infectious. 

Hopefully he won't need to use it, but it's nice to have it just in case. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, runner2013 said:

Hi all, 

My fiance had his annual physical with his doctor yesterday and he gave him the letter of recovery no problem.  Basically it states he had covid, the date he tested positive,  and he is now recovered and not infectious. 

Hopefully he won't need to use it, but it's nice to have it just in case. 

That's great and hopefully he'll have a negative test result as required by the Princess Health Protocol for Cruising.

• Like 1

Next year this omicron is supposed to sizzle out...will they still do all this pretesting, etc. in the future?  Just what is everyone's speculations?  For us going 30+ days at a time, it is too stressful to have to worry about getting it and having to disembark and quarantine.

1 hour ago, mellon1 said:

Next year this omicron is supposed to sizzle out...will they still do all this pretesting, etc. in the future?  Just what is everyone's speculations?  For us going 30+ days at a time, it is too stressful to have to worry about getting it and having to disembark and quarantine.

Speculation is useless.

• Like 3

On 1/3/2022 at 8:21 PM, Aruba&lt;3 said:

I’m also curious about this.  I am boosted and currently have a mild case of covid. I left message at doctors office because I tested at urgent care.  Asked about a follow up and letter of recovery for travel beginning of February.  Was told they are not giving letters just following cdc recommendations.  What the heck does that mean? Ugh! Frustrating!

Aruba, 

If you have any issues getting a letter from your doctor, there is also a way you can do a telehealth visit with a board certified doctor through a phone app. Once you've finished your quarantine and are feeling better you can download the app-Quickmd- and make an appointment with a doctor. I believe they will do either a video chat or just a phone call. When your appointment is finished they email you a pdf with all the required info for you to print out and take with you.  Only drawback I saw when I googled them online was there is a $75.00 charge for their services.  

Hope this helps

• Like 1

9 hours ago, runner2013 said:

Aruba, 

If you have any issues getting a letter from your doctor, there is also a way you can do a telehealth visit with a board certified doctor through a phone app. Once you've finished your quarantine and are feeling better you can download the app-Quickmd- and make an appointment with a doctor. I believe they will do either a video chat or just a phone call. When your appointment is finished they email you a pdf with all the required info for you to print out and take with you.  Only drawback I saw when I googled them online was there is a $75.00 charge for their services.  

Hope this helps

Thanks runner2013!  I did see that on google.  I did get a letter from urgent care.  Not sure it’s up to par regarding exact wording needed, but I have that and proof of covid positive in December, and I didn’t have to pay for the letter.  Here’s hoping for a negative test!  Worst case is I’ll go with quickmd.  Starting to stress, I’m 2 weeks out and traveling with 4 people from 2 other states....fingers crossed everything falls into place.  

My app for Princess has schedule on it,  big difference from pre-covid, but today’s high at home is 23 degrees, so sunshine and warm temps and nothing to do is all good!

• Like 1

Did he take the PCR or rapid test?  If PCR he could still show positive up to 90 days. Covid can stay in your throat for that amount of time even though you have recovered.  If rapid he should retest and will most likely be negative.

I know this because around Christmas I tested positive with a rapid test, two weeks later negative with another rapid test.