Unlimited Dining

RosieRoo

For those of you who dine in the specialty restaurants, do you think the unlimited dining is worth it on the smaller ships where there are only a couple of pay restaurants?  Sailing on the Jewel in January and with people saying there is zero social distancing in the MDR I was wondering if the unlimited dining would be better. Not sure if the social distancing in Chops or Giovannis is any better than the MDR. 

4 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

Not sure if the social distancing in Chops or Giovannis is any better than the MDR. 

Depends on the time of the night, it could be the same as MDR - some folks may be thinking like you and crowding into the specialty venues.

• Thanks 1

On a smaller ship, is it worth it from a food perspective to pay for specialty dining?  Are you going to want to eat in those two restaurants that much?

Remember, if the MDR is too crowded and you want to eat specialty, you can always pay as you go in those venues as well.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

For those of you who dine in the specialty restaurants, do you think the unlimited dining is worth it on the smaller ships where there are only a couple of pay restaurants?  Sailing on the Jewel in January and with people saying there is zero social distancing in the MDR I was wondering if the unlimited dining would be better. Not sure if the social distancing in Chops or Giovannis is any better than the MDR. 

Lots of different opinions on this. But on a smaller class I don’t think it’s worth it.  Not enough variety. I think unlimited only makes sense on oasis class.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RosieRoo said:

I agree with all of the answers above.  Although we love UDP, we've only had it on Oasis class ships.  I would be really bored with the food with only two specialty restaurant.

1 hour ago, RosieRoo said:

You're worried about social distancing and booking a cruise?

Doesn't make sense to me...

• Like 1

She's on the Jewel in January.

It's a smaller, older ship without all the amusement park attractions for kids.  January is a traditionally slow time to sail, and it's entirely possible RCI will be continuing its capacity limitations currently in place through the end of the month.

There may be choke points on board (embarcation, occasional lines at busy times in the Windjammer), but it should not be particularly difficult to reasonably stay socially distanced on that type of sailing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

You're worried about social distancing and booking a cruise?

Doesn't make sense to me...

I’ve sailed twice since the restart, but both times in a suite on the larger ships.  My only experience is in Coastal where they’ve had every other table blocked. I was reading people’s posts about the MDR and how ridiculously close the tables were.  I was just wondering if the tables in the specialty restaurants were more spread out, not only for social distancing, but I prefer not have people sitting on top of me. 
I’m not fearful of cruising.  I felt safer on the Oasis and the Anthem than I do shopping at the grocery store. 

Edited by RosieRoo
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Your opinions are much appreciated (except for the snarky one). 

You can always count on at least one unnecessary, condescending reply on these posts.  Usually from someone who thinks they're smarter than everyone else (but never is).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RosieRoo said:

Not worth it except for Oasis Class, 3 or five night is just right.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RosieRoo said:

We did it last month on allure funny thing was chops was the only restaurant that had social distancing. We would do this again on any rccl ship.

• Thanks 1