Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

16 hours ago, dreamercruise said:

Like you, I do not want details about daily infection counts.

This raises a question that perhaps many here who have cruised recently already know the answer to:  Is there anything that requires a ship captain (or other official) to keep the pax notified of an updated covid count on a daily basis (or whatever timeframe)?  I'm trying to imagine being on a ship and quite honestly am not sure that I'd want to hear this sort of announcement all the time. I'd think it would detract from at least trying to get away from some of the constant barrage of covid news that we all get every day from the media (not that this is a bad thing in some regard but still...I'll probably be preoccupied enough onboard thinking about covid protocols, etc. without hearing a running tally. So, is this routinely done?

47 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

I told my husband this cruise just feels “joyless.”

I can see where it would feel that way, which is why I'm really uncertain as to getting back out there depending on current conditions in a few months. 

53 minutes ago, claranda said:

Are all of those lovely sitting areas polluted in this way;

I only did one Viking cruise so far, and quite honestly do not recall hearing much "muzak". Those quiet places on the ship did indeed seem that way. So whatever canned music was taking place was either very soft or else unobtrusive...unlike my local Redner's store where it is constant  and WAY too loud. 

11 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

Hearing the distant sounds of the piano player in the Viking atrium is a pleasure as you stroll on an upper corridor. 

Somehow that's very different...live music is probably more appealing to most people.

14 hours ago, sleepybobo said:

Who knows when this craziness will finally be behind us.  

Probably sums it all up the best way possible. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

16 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Though not on this WC, we are on the FLL to LA segment.  Two of six ports canceled.  Constant masking.  Constant worrying.  This morning we canceled our Sept. 22 Med. cruise and rebooked for 2023.  I told my husband this cruise just feels “joyless.”  So sorry to have to report this. 

We did Iceland in July and the TA from Barcelona to San Juan November/December.  Neither cruise was joyless.  Both were fantastic.  We WANTED to know if there were any Covid cases and I think most people also did.  No cases were announced so we assume there were none. 

As far as comfort level dining, for Iceland we had upper 800 passenger range.  We were uncomfortable in the Restaurant and felt tables were too close.  But found empty times there and in the WC so just adjusted.  Window tables in WC were all set for 2 which we loved.  For the TA there were 640 (620?) people on board.  The too close tables for 2 were blocked in the Restaurant as were the 2's in the WC along the divider.  The 4 person window tables were set for 2.  It was perfect and probably easier to do with less passengers.

I also accidently discovered that the Star Theatre was sanitized between lectures or events.  I thought I left my phone in there during an afternoon lecture.  When I went back to look, the theatre was closed for sanitizing before the next talk.  I felt more comfortable going there after that.

I wonder how these things are handled on the World Cruise.

7 minutes ago, ldpetrillo said:

The fake music is especially annoying in the Explorers Lounge during the day. A lot of people go there to read and watch the ocean. However, other areas of the ship are quiet. 

That is the only place i noticed it - especially when it was empty and quiet.

Update from the Star. FYI. We cannot make any dining room reservations past the 10th even at the dining reservations desk which is when this segment ends. The systems do not go past this date. Viking Voyager also ends on the 10th.

• Thanks 3

23 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Here is a somewhat interesting article about the Gulf of T from a mariner's perspective.

Andy, from that article you cited, the following: "For centuries, mariners have dreaded this 260-mile-wide bay where the ferocious wind can sink a boat, or at least blow you all the way to Ecuador. "

Had the latter occurred, it would have satisifed calling at a "foreign distant port" LOL  Sorry....couldn't resist. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

and it is rarely any music the bulk of passengers could identify.  Most vocals not in English.  Can be very annoying if trying to read a good book or relax by the pool.

Jim - I've finally found a benefit to all those years of Bridge watchkeeping with the constant "White" noise from multiple radars. My hearing loss must be about the same frequency range as the piped in music, as I don't recall hearing it.😁 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Do they still run that ongoing video about the Bayeux Tapestry in the Heritage area?  I even took a video (of that video)....pretty cool!  

Yes - well they do on Venus anyway.  We’re now into our 3rd week onboard.  It’s been good, but by no means a normal Viking experience.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ldpetrillo said:

Evidently they are requiring that we be on ship’s excursions if we leave the ship. Stay tuned as this will really stir the pot. 

Up until now was this not a policy? Just wondering being that I've read about this with other cruise lines...staying within a "bubble", so-to-speak, during a ship-sponsored excursion. 

2 hours ago, JM0115 said:

Update from the Star. FYI. We cannot make any dining room reservations past the 10th even at the dining reservations desk which is when this segment ends. The systems do not go past this date. Viking Voyager also ends on the 10th.

Of course! Nothing is wrong. The FLL-LA cruises/segment ends on the 1/10. Many lectures will also disappear from the TV. 

4 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

and it is rarely any music the bulk of passengers could identify.  Most vocals not in English.  Can be very annoying if trying to read a good book or relax by the pool.

I actually do better when trying to read if the annoying music isn’t in English. But I’d be thrilled if they shut it off altogether. 

Edited by Twitchly
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, deec said:

Ask ...if enough people want it off I imagine they will turn it off!!  Is the roof open on the inside pool or is it too cool?

Sometimes they have, sometimes they won't.  I have found the volume control for most spaces and sometimes can make it happen "magically". 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Jim - I've finally found a benefit to all those years of Bridge watchkeeping with the constant "White" noise from multiple radars. My hearing loss must be about the same frequency range as the piped in music, as I don't recall hearing it.😁 

Just think about Chief and all those years in the Engine Room....🍺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jammy Bun said:

Yes - well they do on Venus anyway.  We’re now into our 3rd week onboard.  It’s been good, but by no means a normal Viking experience.  

Sorry to hear this but not surprised.  We have been fortunate to have had two wonderful World Cruise experiences on Viking and just cannot see spending that kind of money for the current restrictions.  And no one seems to be focusing on how sick the positives might actually be.  Probably slight to none but it all revolves around endless testing.  The actual death rate is practically zero for vaxxed persons but no one worries about that.  Other relatively common diseases on this planet have much higher death rates but no panic and restrictions for them.  Here's my take on testing.  Let's say you are the Homecoming Queen.  Saturday night is the big dance.  You have been feeling unwell so decide to take a pregnancy test.  Using the test strip shows you not preggers.  You go to the dance with the football star, have lots of fun, get a bit tipsy and nature happens.  Next week you test positive for preggers.  So just what good was the first test? Covid tests only tell  you what was going on at some point in your past.  Taking endless tests for vaxxed people is such a foolish waste.  Again just one ole salts take....

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Sometimes they have, sometimes they won't.  I have found the volume control for most spaces and sometimes can make it happen "magically". 

Ooooooh, I don’t suppose you’d be willing to share that information? Via private message, carrier pigeon, or any other means?

11 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Ooooooh, I don’t suppose you’d be willing to share that information? Via private message, carrier pigeon, or any other means?

Haha, known only to thems what already knows where it is......  I'm afraid I would have to show you. 🍸 Sort of like when I had to stow number two boat securely in the middle of the night.  One more sea story.  Be thankful you have no chance of sitting between Andy and myself at the bar....🍺

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Haha, known only to thems what already knows where it is......  I'm afraid I would have to show you. 🍸 Sort of like when I had to stow number two boat securely in the middle of the night.  One more sea story.  Be thankful you have no chance of sitting between Andy and myself at the bar....🍺

If it ever does happen, prepare to be bribed. 

• Haha 1